TJ09

2017-02-14 - Valentine's Day!

I think, with regards to the pearl and the paw and the antlers, that the dragon really is holding a CD. The dragons that are shown on scrolls are actually just supposed to be sketches of the dragons as we see them, so the sketched dragon just must have shed its pearl and hasn't grown another yet.

Yet it is perfectly fine to harass TJ about his decision - which as the owner of this place - is final.

Uh...No it's not. Unless you are kidding about you're comment. I don't think it is right to harass people of their choices. And I'm sorry if I went slightly off topic :/

In other news EEF did one of my dragons and I will be upset if people started backlashing that dragon saying that he traced it. No, he did not! Why? Because there were no clear picture he could reference to!

TJ promised to explain his side if they started talking about what happened. They mentioned tracing accusations, so it would have been strange if TJ had just said "the sketch was available, which violated the contract". He did everything he could to keep tracing accusations out of it.

Actually. Someone else brought up Tazzay and EEF's side. Tazzay stated, after such incident, that they wished it hadn't been mentioned. It was done against their wishes.

~Removed; replying to spam is still spam, please just wait until a moderator can take care of it~ Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

*wave back*

I like the idea that it's down to magnetic fields and not the ultimate fantasy excuse of "magic". Metals are so connected with dragons that it makes perfect sense when you think about it. smile.gif Interesting that perhaps they require it to regulate energy but that would make the pearl a sort of power-sink, wouldn't it? How would that work?

I'll admit I'm not too good with this- I was thinking of magnet therapy; basically, magnetic bracelets are supposed to help regulate magnetic fields and improve your health. In the case of humans, it says "claims are unproven and no effects are established", but I won't argue that there are mental benefits - you believe it'll help, so it does. (or, you know, you believe it'll help more, so it does!)

In the case of dragons, it could be part mental (the belief that they need a pearl to be healthy, or healthier) and part magical- they are, after all, mythical pixel dragons that conjured it outta thin air; maybe they do need it. I'm also focusing on their antlers growing out of their skull! Assuming there is a lot of magic, it would make sense that a disruption (a different pearl, or a missing pearl) would 'feel' noticeably different.

Also, how unique would antlers be? That could definitely affect the magic/magnetic output, yeah?

An interesting point. But I think that the dragons wouldn't necessarily need to know the exact makeup of the pearl it's carrying. Think about it like this: My toes have been different sizes during different stages of my life. I never really knew the percentage of calcium and iron and all that, and I couldn't tell you an approximate weight of all of my toes, but I still carry them around with the proper amount of expended energy. I imagine it would be instinctive.

Plus, I can look at a football and know just how hard I needed to kick it. If it were a baseball, then I'd treat it differently because of its appearance. In the same way, a pearl composed of different proportions of metals might look drastically different or have a different magic aura. The dragon could make an estimate based off of that.

I think I'd compare it to something you'd carry growing up- maybe a puppy/kitten you got when you were 5? It's grown with you, you've both gotten bigger and stronger. Carrying it around and having it with you at all times is just 'natural' because you've adjusted your strength, but nobody'd expect you to know it's gained, say, 10 grams and a centimeter in a day! But, other people who just suddenly see this animal without any warning might go "whoa?? it's HUGE!"

The idea of the pearl looking different is part of what Para was getting at- we're assuming the pearl grows with the dragon, and that the colour could be affected by diet! The aura thing is definitely an interesting and reasonable possibility and it brings up a question: Do you think a lost Cermorvus pearl can be reunited with its owner by 'working backwards'? "Due to the colour, the owner could have consumed a lot of Iron growing up; due to the size, the owner must be 100/200/300 years old. Areas with high concentrations of Iron are [x], [y], and [z]-"

Would there be enough lost/stolen pearls to warrant this kind of detective work in the dragon world?

I just saw the adults and came to see reactions of people, only to find yet another over blown drama and hysteria. One year of DC event without brohaha would be nice. :/ Talk about a buzz kill.

There has to be at least one holiday drama per year. No exceptions.

I just saw the adults and came to see reactions of people, only to find yet another over blown drama and hysteria. One year of DC event without brohaha would be nice. :/ Talk about a buzz kill.

Well, it is DC - the party don't start 'til the drama walks in.

Though unrelatedly, I'm really sad the way the situation turned out as a whole. Inevitable end or not... I was happy to see two new artists finally get into DC, debuting with a holiday dragon. I was pretty down about losing on Valentines Day, as much as I'd tried to prepare for the inevitability (it was my first time submitting a holiday dragon and I wasn't properly inured to the whole shebang), but when the hatchlings emerged and I saw the art credits... seeing two new faces get in, I was sure that they were as happy as I would have been to finally get in cave, and that knowledge snapped me out of my funk. Perspective, I guess.

I'm still over it - the events here haven't changed that. I learned a lot from my spriting jaunt this season, I made friends, and I'm already making plans for my next holiday submission, but... well, I was really happy to see new faces in the cave again, and that's gone sour. In the end, nobody won. Not newbies, not in-cavers, and certainly not TJ.

Oh that's true, but I was referring to changing them to a completely different egg from a new concept which might or might not have been purple which many people were ecstatic about. etc etc. Drama was going to happen, is all i am saying.

We need more antler/paw/pearl stuff.

That's true.

Also, I cannot unsee the CD.

CD?

It looks like the adult sprite is hold a CD, not a pearl tongue.gif

Uh...No it's not. Unless you are kidding about you're comment. I don't think it is right to harass people of their choices. And I'm sorry if I went slightly off topic :/

In other news EEF did one of my dragons and I will be upset if people started backlashing that dragon saying that he traced it. No, he did not! Why? Because there were no clear picture he could reference to!

Sarcasm in response to someone who was talking of harassment against Taz and EEF. A lot of folks seem to be perfectly fine with making accusations against TJ, but flip their lid otherwise. I don't appreciate double standards.

The point has been made. He was within his rights to pull the sprite. He is legally responsible for the content on this site. That doesn't seem to be computing with some, but you can get yourself into serious trouble, whether you agree or not. If someone got their feathers ruffled and threatened legal action, this site could very well cease to exist. Instead of understanding that, they are accusing him of having some vendetta against someone. He's trying to keep himself out of any legal trouble in the future, AND trying to keep this site going. If someone thinks he's some bad guy for it, then they haven't been in any sort of position similar to him, where their neck was legally on the line with hundreds or thousands of people who would be very sad if this site suddenly disappeared, along with all of their dragons.

Sounds like a few around here are suffering from heightened emotions and sour grapes. As for Taz and EEF, I wish them well whether they stay or go. Nobody should be harassed. Period. Whether it's a player, spriter, or the owner.

I'll admit I'm not too good with this- I was thinking of magnet therapy; basically, magnetic bracelets are supposed to help regulate magnetic fields and improve your health. In the case of humans, it says "claims are unproven and no effects are established", but I won't argue that there are mental benefits - you believe it'll help, so it does. (or, you know, you believe it'll help more, so it does!)

In the case of dragons, it could be part mental (the belief that they need a pearl to be healthy, or healthier) and part magical- they are, after all, mythical pixel dragons that conjured it outta thin air; maybe they do need it. I'm also focusing on their antlers growing out of their skull! Assuming there is a lot of magic, it would make sense that a disruption (a different pearl, or a missing pearl) would 'feel' noticeably different.

Also, how unique would antlers be? That could definitely affect the magic/magnetic output, yeah?

I think I'd compare it to something you'd carry growing up- maybe a puppy/kitten you got when you were 5? It's grown with you, you've both gotten bigger and stronger. Carrying it around and having it with you at all times is just 'natural' because you've adjusted your strength, but nobody'd expect you to know it's gained, say, 10 grams and a centimeter in a day! But, other people who just suddenly see this animal without any warning might go "whoa?? it's HUGE!"

The idea of the pearl looking different is part of what Para was getting at- we're assuming the pearl grows with the dragon, and that the colour could be affected by diet! The aura thing is definitely an interesting and reasonable possibility and it brings up a question: Do you think a lost Cermorvus pearl can be reunited with its owner by 'working backwards'? "Due to the colour, the owner could have consumed a lot of Iron growing up; due to the size, the owner must be 100/200/300 years old. Areas with high concentrations of Iron are [x], [y], and [z]-"

Would there be enough lost/stolen pearls to warrant this kind of detective work in the dragon world?

Makes sense to me! I suspect that for the dragon being without the pearl/having a different one would be like being without/changing your watch or something after wearing the same one for years. Inexplicably wrong but wrong none-the-less.I'd really like to think about this more but it's very late here and I'm lacking much rest this week - my head doesn't wanna do science however fascinating! xd.png

Sarcasm in response to someone who was talking of harassment against Taz and EEF. A lot of folks seem to be perfectly fine with making accusations against TJ, but flip their lid otherwise. I don't appreciate double standards.

The point has been made. He was within his rights to pull the sprite. He is legally responsible for the content on this site. That doesn't seem to be computing with some, but you can get yourself into serious trouble, whether you agree or not. If someone got their feathers ruffled and threatened legal action, this site could very well cease to exist. Instead of understanding that, they are accusing him of having some vendetta against someone. He's trying to keep himself out of any legal trouble in the future, AND trying to keep this site going. If someone thinks he's some bad guy for it, then they haven't been in any sort of position similar to him, where their neck was legally on the line with hundreds or thousands of people who would be very sad if this site suddenly disappeared, along with all of their dragons.

Sounds like a few around here are suffering from heightened emotions and sour grapes. As for Taz and EEF, I wish them well whether they stay or go. Nobody should be harassed. Period. Whether it's a player, spriter, or the owner.

Out of all the posts I have seen I haven't interpreted any as to meaning TJ is the one with the vendetta.

I agree with everything else you're saying though.

I rather like the adults.

Me too. But I do hope they get a little bit of a polish when the spriter has had some time to work on them.

Actually. Someone else brought up Tazzay and EEF's side. Tazzay stated, after such incident, that they wished it hadn't been mentioned. It was done against their wishes.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. They posted things in another forum that then got a tracing discussion started here when someone linked their posts. It doesn't matter if it was elsewhere, they were talking about it. If they wanted it kept mum, they needed to be similarly mum.

^^^^ this.

i've been following this entire thing without saying anything so far, because i wanted things to be cleared up and to see exactly what happened.

completely disregarding the tracing, the way everyone is reacting and treating tazzay/eef rn is just ... hmm. it feels like there's a lot more personal bias than actual fact.

highkey let down with all of the dc staff. the switch in sprites was handled, but afterwards everything disintegrated.

i'm done with dc, i think. not going to bother with these valentine dragons.

Kind agreeing here. Not the leaving DC part, but eh...

Yet, I am not surprised this is how some have been responding. It's nothing new. But I expected better from people who "work for the site" or whatever. Regardless of their upset. Some professionalism is kinda needed.

Out of all the posts I have seen I haven't interpreted any as to meaning TJ is the one with the vendetta.

I agree with everything else you're saying though.

Perception is a pain. A couple I saw seemed to suggest it. There is no way I'll be able to sift through this whole mess on my phone to try to find it or see who posted it. I have been lurking the thread to see if any information about any new changes occurs.

Well, since there might be some serious health consequence for losing a pearl (in the same way that a person might begin to relapse if he or she no longer takes a placebo for a certain illness), it might be a necessary occupation. You might have just as much demand for a pearl lost-and-found job as we do for pediatricians.

Plus, I do think the occasional shedding and regrowth of a pearl might be necessary. It would be just as risky as a hermit crab abandoning its shell for a larger one, but for the same purpose. If the dragon grows up to a point then stops, and the pearl never stops growing, then it would be like me having an immortal puppy since I was born that never stops getting bigger. Pretty soon, I'd be fifty, and I'd be carrying around a two-ton dog. Another solution would be the leveling-off of the pearl's development, but that would make it all the more risky if a pearl would be unexpectedly damaged.