TJ09

2017-02-14 - Valentine's Day!

Ask around the forums, someone might be bound to give you one smile.gif

Anyway, there's a lot of drama about the sprites. EEF and Tazzy are being accused of tracing a part of the dragon (and Tazzy has a record of this) and their sprite was replaced with the sprite we have right now.

Ah, thank you so much for the explanation!

Well, I think the current sprites look cool and tracing shouldn't be a tolerated act under any means... hopefully, the drama will die down and everybody will have a good time with the event biggrin.gif

Or heck, just replace the sprites immediately with whatever other amazing Valentine concept was second place this time around. I imagine there's at least a dozen nice options.

I too think that this might've been the best option. I mean, no option was going to be good, and it's easy to say now that such and such would've been the best option, but at least then you don't have the criticisms saying "cheap knockoff" or saying it's disrespectful to the original spriters to just replace the sprite with a similar one.

Spriters are not staff. They have a contractual agreement to DC, but they're not staff.

And, again, the tracing isn't even necessarily the point. The contract was breached even without it.

TJ said they are in this news post

Not deletion. Fog until replacement. It's happened on site before with oddball eggs from GoNs x newly released not yet elemental breeds. Admittedly stranger here but still possible.

Or heck, just replace the sprites immediately with whatever other amazing Valentine concept was second place this time around. I imagine there's at least a dozen nice options.

I think replacing the whole thing and releasing these dragons some other time when the issues were fixed (as next years Valentine, another Holiday, regular dragon, whatever) would have caused less drama. Plus, as has been said, if I were Tazzay and EEF I'd be really annoyed that someone else was spriting my concept...

Edited by Aurae

Look, the last thing is that I want to ask for people to stop going out of their way and 'warning' other site owners about using eef's or my art. It isn't fair for us if people go out - again - on a witch hunt to destroy our image like that. Digging into our deviant art account (which, mind, with my account I haven't logged in in almost three years) to 'find' things that look like the pose our dragons are in is just wanting to make us look worse. I get that some of you are in a censorkip.gif mood about this, but I just want it to stop, please.

Both eef and I feel like we're now being stalked over this incident. We've started removing links to our other profiles because of it. We are both trying to distance ourselves from this in order to calm down and forget about it, but some of you are following us to other places to continue to make us look bad. Is it really fair for that to happen to us?

I have asked for the names, descriptions and resemblances to our dragon be changed, and at the same time we will change the dragon so that it will look different in the future.

Please, just for everyone's sake - leave this be. Please stop.

Just going to bring this up again because it is getting buried.

I am currently trying to go back through the thread to see what all happened, but from what I've picked up on, I really wish that I had a chance to see the old sprites. I have no way to compare them. Everywhere in the thread that it looks like the old ones were shown, they're gone. :/

Yet it is perfectly fine to harass TJ about his decision - which as the owner of this place - is final.

Edited by xXAngelicEvilXx

I am currently trying to go back through the thread to see what all happened, but from what I've picked up on, I really wish that I had a chance to see the old sprites. I have no way to compare them. Everywhere in the thread that it looks like the old ones were shown, they're gone. :/

~Removed~

Here's the old adult sprite.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I don't think we'd have to run out and get new eggs. It would be more like *poof the sprites and descriptions suddenly changed to completely different ones* instead of *poof, the sprites changed to different ones that are meant to be like the first*

I think that would have caused less drama, tbh.

There are still eggs out there that have not hatched. How would that be done? Suddenly change the egg sprites too? There was going to be drama. How much and what sort is unknown to anyone, but never underestimate the ability of DC to descend into hysteria at the drop of a hat. xd.png

~Removed~

These are the original sprites.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Thank you TJ for your explanations. I appreciate how all of this affected you and your wonderful site. I recognize that if you did nothing that your reputation and that of DC could have "taken a hit" be it for the breach of contract or plagiarism.

I thank you and the anonymous spriter for the substitute dragon art and trying to make a smooth transition from this difficult situation.

I have been on this site long enough to have witnessed other drama, though not like this. It has all worked itself out with time.

I have lived long enough to know that "as bad as this moment seems, it is only a moment." Life is like that. Many things happen in our daily lives to which we get no explanations, _ _ _ _ happens.

Despite all the drama this has caused, life will go on; memories of this will fade and we will be once again looking forward to new dragons and new adventures.

Honestly. If there was 0 history of tracing, and it was a brand new artist with a good background. No one would have batted an eye.

Now that there is tracing in the background of Tazzay and EdwardElricFreak, no matter where they go, all art is gunna be thought to be traced. Regardless if they did or didn't trace it.

If people go looking for "traced images" they are gunna find it.

Because there are billions upon billions of artworks put on the internet from Photography to Digital and Traditional art, to even Literature. You will always always find something similar to another.

With how relentless I know some people are on this site in terms of holding grudges and poking into peoples personal matters, I would recommend they (Tazzay and EEF) just change their names and make a new start under a different name. And if they did trace, don't do it again.

Since no matter what they do now, everyone is gunna assume it's traced and find any image they can to "prove" it.

Do I think they traced? I don't know, don't care at this point. But witch hunts are ridiculous.

What if they didn't trace, and it was all negative intent? Says a lot about what the past can do to you.

There are still eggs out there that have not hatched. How would that be done? Suddenly change the egg sprites too? There was going to be drama. How much and what sort is unknown to anyone, but never underestimate the ability of DC to descend into hysteria at the drop of a hat. xd.png

The eggs for these were switched as well. They're floating in a post somewhere that does a comparison.

TJ said they are in this news post

Oh. Huh. That clarifies things.

Though I still don't believe the conduct of in-cave spriters in this thread has been any better or worse than that of the userbase itself.

Honestly. If there was 0 history of tracing, and it was a brand new artist with a good background. No one would have batted an eye.

Now that there is tracing in the background of Tazzay and EdwardElricFreak, no matter where they go, all art is gunna be thought to be traced. Regardless if they did or didn't trace it.

If people go looking for "traced images" they are gunna find it.

Because there are billions upon billions of artworks put on the internet from Photography to Digital and Traditional art, to even Literature. You will always always find something similar to another.

With how relentless I know some people are on this site in terms of holding grudges and poking into peoples personal matters, I would recommend they (Tazzay and EEF) just change their names and make a new start under a different name. And if they did trace, don't do it again.

Since no matter what they do now, everyone is gunna assume it's traced and find any image they can to "prove" it.

Do I think they traced? I don't know, don't care at this point. But witch hunts are ridiculous.

What if they didn't trace, and it was all negative intent? Says a lot about what the past can do to you.

This.

In my opinion TJ should not have said anything about the tracing. The breach of contract was enough to have it pulled.

It seems incredibly malicious to smear the name of two artists - with no REAL proof, only speculative images provided by someone who went through every single image on one of their DA's (according to Tazzar, anyway, the one image EEF was accused of tracing was from six years ago).

If TJ had just explained about the breach of contract it would have been fine. That is a legitimate enough reason. But his post made it seem like the tracing was "needed" in conjunction with the contract breach.

There was no need for him to incite all of this drama, and there is only TJ to blame for the tracing argument, in the end.

Still. Tazzay's PF post says they would like the species to be removed entirely - are we going to continue ignoring that?

TJ promised to explain his side if they started talking about what happened. They mentioned tracing accusations, so it would have been strange if TJ had just said "the sketch was available, which violated the contract". He did everything he could to keep tracing accusations out of it.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Frankly, I think we as a userbase, need to stop playing with whether it was traced or not. Proving guilt or innocence isn't my job.

The contract was violated. The sprites have been pulled. TJ has explained himself, which is a godsend in its own right.

Stop harrassing the artists, they do not deserve that whether guilty or innocent.

Stop harrassing TJ, he has done nothing that he doesn't have the right to do, and it's his website and his neck on the line.

Also, if the pearls were a power sink, that could explain how their magic contributes to being able to prophesy matches?

The eggs for these were switched as well. They're floating in a post somewhere that does a comparison.

Oh that's true, but I was referring to changing them to a completely different egg from a new concept which might or might not have been purple which many people were ecstatic about. etc etc. Drama was going to happen, is all i am saying.

We need more antler/paw/pearl stuff.

I am appalled that the staff on a site - even if they're not admins or mods, but spriters - could be allowed to act this way.

Totally inappropriate behavior. All you're doing is inciting more anger and outrage based on no proof.

^^^^ this.

i've been following this entire thing without saying anything so far, because i wanted things to be cleared up and to see exactly what happened.

completely disregarding the tracing, the way everyone is reacting and treating tazzay/eef rn is just ... hmm. it feels like there's a lot more personal bias than actual fact.

highkey let down with all of the dc staff. the switch in sprites was handled, but afterwards everything disintegrated.

i'm done with dc, i think. not going to bother with these valentine dragons.

I just saw the adults and came to see reactions of people, only to find yet another over blown drama and hysteria. One year of DC event without brohaha would be nice. :/ Talk about a buzz kill.

Oh. Huh. That clarifies things.

Though I still don't believe the conduct of in-cave spriters in this thread has been any better or worse than that of the userbase itself.

As staff, they are seen to represent the site, so they should be more careful about what they are saying, because to some people it will reflect poorly on DC.

I agree some people on all sides are behaving poorly though.

As far as I'm concerned it's not completely black and white, and everything anyone is saying is only reflecting on themselves.

~Removed; image only posts do not contribute to the discussion and are therefore considered spam~ Edited by SockPuppet Strangler