Predat0rs

Limit how many times you can pick up the same egg

I guess I could see that happening, if you're searching for unseen factors like lineage? It still seems odd to me though that you would end up grabbing the same egg multiple times (just speaking about the AP here) when there's a higher probability of you grabbing a different egg when there are 30 different eggs to choose from, and only a couple of those would really be ones you've touched; no more than 7 in any instance, since I think that's the maximum amount of eggs you can have at one time... Even if you're hunting for a specific breed, I've never seen so many eggs of one breed before that it would be impossible to keep track of which ones were new and which ones weren't.

It's not impossible though. I just don't see it being a big issue, even with walls of eggs (especially holiday walls; those seem to move very quickly).

Even though I haven't experienced this issue myself, considering the circumstances... I favor the Identify BSA over this suggestion. Limiting how many times people can pick up one egg has too high of a risk of backfiring, in my opinion, and I almost always like the idea of having more BSAs because it makes certain dragons more desirable. Even if it isn't a BSA though, something like Identify would help... Maybe a toggle of some sort that allows you to see which eggs you have picked up but placed back, including any eggs that were auto-abandoned from your scroll? Just a simple checkbox that toggles a visual filter of some type would do.

It's all down to lineage. And it's not even bad lineages that I keep re-catching - it's just that often they're not what I'm looking for. I've caught and then dropped LOADS of 2G Mutamores this season, some of them repeatedly, not to mention 2G Val'09s and Heartstealers and other things someone else might find desirable but which just don't fit my requirements. As others have noted, if you're hunting for a comparatively rarer egg in a sea of a commoner breed, those eggs go fast so you don't get time to hum and haw and maybe double-check the code. If you're not on it fast, it'll be on someone else's scroll before you know it.

Support. This would be super useful, especially during holidays. I get stuck in sticky egg syndrome all the time because I only focus on one or two breeds per holiday.

I support this. I sometimes have this problem even when not dealing with the massive holiday walls and it gets particularly frustrating when looking through dozens of the same breed of holiday egg.

Support from me, too. Because AP hunting, especially when there're holiday walls, can get really boring when you catch, inspect and re-abandon the same eggs over and over and over again. And repeat the process just for the heck of it. xd.png

I support this and if it happened that you would try to pick it up after the 3rd time you would just get the same old message ~

"Try as you might, you cannot seem to find the egg you are looking for in the abandoned area."

Dunno. This might lead to people asking nooby questions. How about a clearer message?

"No matter what, you don't feel like picking up this egg again."

"You've already decided you do not want to take this egg."

Support! I would really prefer it's marked rather than a message after you click it. Because then you click and have to go see that it was one you tossed back already, then go back to the AP. It saves a little time, but if the idea is to not be annoyed by grabbing (or having to click on) the same egg over and over, a marking in the AP would be the most helpful.

I really don't do much AP hunting anymore precisely for this reason. I hate having to click and throw back the same egg over and over.

Support! Every holiday I wish we had some way to tell if we had picked that egg before.

"You've already decided you do not want to take this egg."

I like this.

Edited by Gealach

There are few things I support being optional, and I don't think this needs to be one of them.

I personally would though. If I pick up an egg and don't like it, I want to only throw it back once. I don't want to pick it up an additional two times before the site tells me that's enough. I think people should be able to set their own tolerance limits.

I think marking them would be better and more open ended, I hate unnecessary limits!

I also think eggs from the same clutch should also be marked/limited, When the inbred celestial makes 4 eggs with the insanely messy olive I don't wanna pick all four of them up!

Edited by blockEdragon

I think marking them would be better and more open ended, I hate unnecessary limits!

I had the same gut reaction, and I suspect many people do when they hear limits, but honestly, if you're continually throwing an egg away, is the limit really unnecessary?

I personally would though. If I pick up an egg and don't like it, I want to only throw it back once. I don't want to pick it up an additional two times before the site tells me that's enough. I think people should be able to set their own tolerance limits.

I think this is more of a reason to discuss limits rather than discuss options. We have this tendency on here to just compromise by suggesting making something optional rather than sitting down and discussing the best solution/compromise. And I'm not sure what this would do to or be like to code if it were optional. But I do know people could live with whatever limit we do put in place.

I like a limit of 2 or 3 just because I like a little flexibility, but I agree 1 really should be enough. If there was a limit of 1, it would certainly make people think harder before abandoning something they think they might change their mind on.

I would hope there is more than one chance, at least. I think marking the egg is better than preventing you from picking it up again.

In my normal AP hunting I have a rule that I don't keep eggs that I think other people might like, since I'm hunting for zombie fodder. More than once I've thrown back an egg only to just watch it bounce around the AP. I've even tried to take it again when it becomes clear that other people aren't taking it, but it forever gives me the "can't find" message, even though the egg is clearly still there.

Just marking the egg's appearance in the AP and putting no restriction on how many times someone takes it and throws it back seems to be the best compromise. The people who don't want the egg can steer clear, but the people who changed their minds can take it again.

Just marking the egg's appearance in the AP and putting no restriction on how many times someone takes it and throws it back seems to be the best compromise. The people who don't want the egg can steer clear, but the people who changed their minds can take it again.

I agree! smile.gif

I would love a feature that gave a little market to any egg you've already picked up from the AP before. Or for those eggs to be a little transparent or something to indicate that you've already had them on your scroll. It would be super useful.

I'd rather have eggs I picked up have a different background/highlight/text/whatever to them than blocking them.

I'm pretty sure I have abandoned and regrabbed the same egg at least 2 or 3 times in the past in an attempt to get a better one, failed that, and managed to get the same egg back because someone else didn't want it. While it's not a super frequent occurrence, it does happen!

Although after you grabbed and abandoned it 5 times, there really is no excuse...

I support this as well, marking them somehow is a great option but I also would be in favor of not letting an egg/hatchling be picked up more than twice. It gets tiring hunting in the AP when you repeatedly grab the same egg. For me this is a problem year round and not just during the holiday season. As far as me trying to remember codes that I've already seen it is useless, I can't even keep my phone number straight.

+1 vote support.

Support. I only collect CB Falconiforms and they're not a common AP egg so I pretty much click all that come past and repeatedly picking up the same bred ones is infuriating

I would support this, with maybe a slight change on the egg's background color to show "this has been on your scroll before"

I really want to support this suggestion as it's definitely something I've thought before could be useful. But I'm worried this could result in an unfair advantage. Using the recent Valentine's AP as an example, let's say person A is hunting for Radiant Angels. They click on every RA egg they see, and given these are a popular and still relatively recent breed there aren't generally too many in the AP at one time. After maybe 15 minutes, person A's probably clicked on all those eggs enough that either they can no longer pick them up or they're all marked as having been picked up already, depending on which method we prefer. So then person B arrives and is also hunting for RAs. But person B hasn't clicked on all the RA eggs yet and if, by some coincidence, both persons A and B are looking for the same lineage, person A is far more likely to grab it if it turns up because they can either see what they haven't already grabbed or are constantly clicking all of them without fear of picking up anything they've already discarded, again depending on which method is in place. Thus, it's no longer chance that decides which of the two gets the egg they both want, it's instead down to whichever of them's been on the page longer.

Of course, I'm not sure how probable this situation is, and I can see that after person B's also spent a bit of time hunting, they'll be completely equal with person A in terms of how many RAs they've taken and discarded. So maybe it's not such a big deal? But I'm not sure how the issue scales when you consider that there can be maybe 100 people hunting in the AP during holidays. Perhaps it's more of a problem if the two people are hunting through a wall or near-wall of one breed, where noticing a new one can be much harder? Either way, I want to reiterate that I do actually like this suggestion, I just want to be reassured that it's not going to result in something unfair like this smile.gif.

I don't think it is significant. And remember, person A was in person B's situation when they first started hunting. So person A earned the ability to spot new RAs easily by spending time clicking and dumping all the ones they don't want.

And I still don't think it would give an unfair advantage. Person A might know that the RA that appeared is one that they have already rejected, but when a new RA comes around both A and B have equal chances to catch it. The only thing that would make person A better able to pick up that new RA is if person B is not even in the AP, but is processing the egg(s) they just picked up. But again, person A was in person B's shoes when they started hunting.

It's actually a bigger deal for hunting the holiday breed that's currently flooding the AP, not the ones that you're only seeing one or two at a time. Person A has spent a lot of time catching and abandoning those Rosebuds, and so they can identify the one new one that has appeared. Everyone who just joined sees all Rosebuds as equal, and so wouldn't recognize the new, potentially nice lineaged one. But again, that status was earned by spending time picking up all the other Rosebuds.

I think the best way to handle this is the egg would be marked in the AP after the first abandon, but you could still choose to pick it up again. That way in holiday hunting you don't have to pick up and dump the same egg two or three times before the site lets you know it's an egg you've grabbed before.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Seeing whether I've grabbed the egg would be good, but a hard limit is not something I'd support. Sometimes I give up and settle for keeping such an egg, if everybody is limited by how many times they've picked it up, an egg might become untouchable and such "OK, stay with me" will never happen smile.gif

Seeing whether I've grabbed the egg would be good, but a hard limit is not something I'd support. Sometimes I give up and settle for keeping such an egg, if everybody is limited by how many times they've picked it up, an egg might become untouchable and such "OK, stay with me" will never happen smile.gif

I dunno. If people are so scared of not being able to re-pick it up and change their minds, I actually think "ok stay with me" might happen sooner rather than later. It would certainly make me think harder about abandoning a pretty lineage, even if it's not one I'm looking for.

I still don't see any real advantage of a limit or marker+limit over a marker. Markers mean people are able to make any decision they want with just more information than now. A limit, even if it's one that isn't that hindering, does take away some options, so if markers alone can solve the issue I'd rather that be done.