Obscure_Trash

Sock's Mass Breeding Extravaganza

Welcome!

This is a thread to organize mixed/multiple-breed mass breedings to help lower AP time, pass out pretty things to the AP, and avoid filling the AP with one single breed.

1. Outline of Info/Breeding Announcements

2. Original Proposal/List of Event Ideas/List of Previous Events

3. Subscription Reminder List

When

Friday the 11th: This has been a warm, warm, warm - downright hot - summer for many people. In bearing such heat (and humidity), we need to treat ourselves. That's why this massbreed is user appreciation! We are breeding some of the favorite dragons of the users who participate in these mass breeds. This Friday the 11th, please join me in breeding your cb and nicely lined: black teas, celestials, daydreams, glacewings, gray/storms, green/pebbles, lunar heralds, mints, moonstones, reds, royal crimsons, speckle throateds, teimarrs, tetras, terrae, and undines. Remember, if that's too many dragons for you, just pick some of your best lines or breed just a little of everything or spread your breeding out throughout the days.

If you can't make it on Friday, Saturday and Sunday the 12th and 13th are our extra days.

What

This will be a variety of mixed mass breeding events, all focusing on breeding clean lines to the AP (ie, even gens are preferred, stairs/spirals/arrows/e-lines/etc. are welcome, but please avoid breeding messy/unpatterned lines).

Once a month, I will host an event and people who wish to join in are welcome to breed with me. Users are also welcome to suggest themes/ideas, although I don't promise that I will host all requested events.

Why

There are three main goals here:

1. Send pretty things to the AP

2. Lower the time of the AP

3. Do this without upsetting those who don't enjoy hunting through single-breed mass breeds in the AP

Other

If you would like a PM reminder for each event in 2017, regardless of the event, please just ask to sign up for this in the thread. Otherwise, any event that you post with an interest in, I will PM you a reminder. If you are not signed up for reminders for the year, you will not receive a PM for any event you do not post expressing interest in.

Post 2 contains more information on the purpose of this thread.

Post 3 contains the list of people who are signed up for a reminder for each event for the year.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Full Thread Info and List of Ideas!

Here is the full post of stuff I am proposing or am good with feed back on at any time.

What and Why

What this is will be a variety of mixed mass breeding events, all focusing on breeding clean lines to the AP (ie, even gens are preferred, stairs/spirals/arrows/e-lines/etc. are welcome, but please avoid breeding messy/unpatterned lines).

There are three main goals here:
1. Send pretty things to the AP
2. Lower the time of the AP
3. Do this without upsetting those who don't enjoy hunting through single-breed mass breeds in the AP

I have a variety of events in mind already. At random times during the year, I will host an event and people who wish to join in are welcome to breed with me. Users are also welcome to suggest themes/ideas, although I don't promise that I will host all requested events.

Here is a list of the events I currently have in mind, listed by what the dragons of focus would be in no particular order:

• Hybrids/alts
  • P2Ds (pygmies, 2heads, drakes)
  • Checkers and Rainbows
  • BSAs (focus on reds/pinks/aeons/trios)
  • 3rd+ gen purebreds
  • Color days (ie, breed blue dragons, breed pink dragons, breed green dragons, etc.)
  • Holiday-kin
  • Favorite pairings (breed your own favorite pairings, experimental pairings, or pairings you want to try)

Here is a list of events I am debating. In particular, I would like to hear thoughts on these:

• Vampire Day (technically single breed, but I can't see us producing enough vampires to wall the AP or be annoying)
  • Holly Contest (this year: olives; however, this would be a single breed, so I need other ideas on what to do for this idea) + Common Collectors Competition (breeds change on a month by month basis and are numerous, so would give us several breeds to breed)
  • User Appreciation (I ask some of the regular breeders what their favorite un/common dragon is and we mass breed those)
  • Dragon type days (ie, eastern breeding, wyvern breeding, wyrm/amphiptere breeding, leviathan breeding, etc.)
  • Geology day (I'm a geologist, so thought this would be fun: stones, moonstones, sunstones, gemshards, pyrals, pebbles, almeralds, coppers, diamondwings, geodes, kyanites, sapphires)

Feedback

I'm welcome to comments and feedback. Things I'm most interested in hearing:
- What events do you really like
- What events would you not want to see in the AP
- How soon after VDay would you like to see an event
- How often do you have the energy to participate in a mass breed
- How much head's up do you need/want before an event

Based on current feedback, I have two more questions:
- Do you want to do more regularly scheduled events (example, the first weekend in a month or a little more vague and just say the beginning of the month) or would you prefer to mix it up a little (which gives us more flexibility, some events would be at the beginning of the month, some in the middle, maybe some at the end, but we wouldn't do two events that close together)?
- How many days do you want to have for breeding? For holiday-kin breeding, I've been doing one main day and the day before and after are "unofficial" join days. If we're going to do regular, monthly events would you like more days for breeding or would you be more motivated if we stick with less days?

But if you think of anything else, feel free to share!

Feedback or opinions on mass breeds in general belong in the Who keeps breeding one egg to abandon? Massbreed thread.

Past Events

Wed March 15: A BSA event to coincide with the Ides of March massbreeding!

I think many users realized, during the holidays, that they didn't have enough of some BSA dragon/s, so let's share the love! Focus is on reds, pinks, bolts, magis, and aeons, but all BSA dragons are welcome. BSA dragons include: reds, pinks, aeons, bolts, magis, purples, soulpeaces, pebbles, shallow waters, trios, celestials, aegis, and even vamps.
Extra Days: Since this event is on the Ides of March to help balance out any brute massbreeding that occurs, the main day is Wed March 15th. If you can't join us then, please feel free to join us Tues March 14th or Thurs March 16th.

Easter Sunday the 16th: Let's breed some of our own treats on Easter: even gen pretties! Checkers, rainbows, and purebreds 3rd gen and above are welcome, as well as any other prettily patterned even gens you may have.

Part of the simple joy of Easter is hunting for eggs and cracking them open for that sweet treat inside. This year on DC, our sweet will be beautiful lineages, a surprise until users pick up the eggs on the AP and check their lines.

Pre-Mother's Day, Saturday the 13th: A Mother's Day weekend breed to show some appreciation to some oft-underappreciated breeds!

Let's get our breeding done the day before Mother's Day so if you celebrate Mother's Day, you can be with your mom on Sunday. If you don't celebrate, Sunday the 14th, along with Friday the 12th, will be our extra breeding days if you can't make it on Saturday. But what is the event, you ask? This weekend, we're showing appreciation to some of the lesser bred types. That's right! This is the two-headed, drake, and pygmy mass breed! Since not many people work on lines with these, you are also welcome to breed your hybrids! Second gens, even gens, stairs, spirals, arrowheads - all patterned/neat lineages are welcome!

Sunday the 11th - Saturday the 17th:

That's right! A whole week of breeding! It's color week!
Sunday the 11th: Red/Pink Dragons!
Ex. Red, Royal Crimson, Black Tea, Crimson Flare, Hooktalon, Aeon, Balloon, Valentines
Monday the 12th: Orange/Yellow Dragons!
Ex. Imps, Yellow Zuy, Pygmy, Ochredrake, Honey Drake, Pillow, Harvest, Shallow Water
Tuesday the 13th: Green Dragons!
Ex. Terrae, BBW, Tangar, Anagallis, Almerald, Olive, Magelight, Greater Spotted, Vine
Wednesday the 14th: Blue Dragons!
Ex. Waterhorse, Water, Split, Kyanite, Morphodrake, Royal Blue, Coastal Waverunner, Moonstone
Thursday the 15th: Purple Dragons!
Ex. Nhio, Brute, Purple Dorsal, Purple Ridgewing, Purple Neb, Horse, Soulstone, Witchlight
Friday the 16th: Black and White Dragons!
Ex. White, Black, Monarch, Albino, Grave, Turpentine, Marrow, Desipis, Falconiform, Ember, Frostbite
Saturday the 17th: Catch-up/Other Day!
Breed colors for any day you missed or for any day you had too many dragons and didn't finish breeding. Other examples are: Stone, Trihorn, Cassare, Whiptail, Seragamma
Color interpretation is up to you! If you believe a dragon fits in with a certain day, please feel free to breed it that day! Split up your differently colored pairs however you prefer! If you need a break and only want to breed on one day of the week, do that! If you want to breed a little bit every single day, do that! This is a lot of breeding, so it's totally up to you how much you do and how many days you participate. Remember that the focus is on nice lineages: 2nd gens, stairs, spirals, even gens, checkers, rainbows, arrows, etc.
***This mass breed featured two very generous raffles for a 2nd gen tinsel.

Saturday the 15th: Happy mid-July! Summer can be associated with many things: heat waves, wildfires, monsoons, vacations, beach days - or even snow, depending on your part of the world. Let's celebrate the variety of memories we can make by making some breeding memories with some of the newer common breeds (and try to help balance out their breeding ratios)! Let's breed our: scimintar-wings, sinii krais, tetras, azure glacewings, honey drakes, fells, monarchs, almeralds, kingcrownes, kyanite pygmies, candelabras, tarantula hawk drakes, sapphires, fevers, frills, antareans, carmines, and blue-bandeds***
This may be a good time to work on your purebreds and try out new pairs, as well as continue those checkers you've been putting on hold.
If you cannot join us on the 15th, please feel free to join us on Friday the 14th or Sunday the 16th.

***If you have a request to add/remove something from this list, post before breeding day! If you are requesting I remove something, please have it be because it's reasonable to breed to other dragons. If you are requesting I add something, please have it be because it's an ultra common that dominates breeding results to commons. ur focus will be on newer breeds, but I know how long it can take breeding results to even out...
As well, you may request certain common pairs to be bred, and I can feature them in the first post.

***This raffle featured a very generous raffle for a 2nd gen prizekin.

Yearly Reminder Subscription List

***Indicates you will receive a PM reminder when an event is announced and when breeding starts.
No asterisks mean you will only receive a PM for when breeding starts.

angelicdragonpuppy
cerimonster
Chaos Rider
cyradis4
diaveborn
dustpuppy
FayriTayell

FoxintheBox
jocosa
Kaityn
Kyath The Dream Worker

Laura Borealis
maaters
maylin
Mnkn10
Moriwen
natayah
natli
Nessj
Nakeisha***
oilbird
Painter
PolarVortex
purplehaze
Sachqua
Singalana***
sylviamaris
Terces
Terrafreaky
walkinslow
Wiz

Current Reminder Subscription List

Fly-by-Night?

Jazeki

I love this idea! I think the themes of 3g+ purebreds, checkers, BSAs, and certain dragon type days are my favorites. I think hybrid and alt breeding might get a bit messy, though, since not all of them will be hybrids or alts.

As for timing, maybe a few weeks to a month after valentine's day would work? I think a lot of people are busy with IOUs, especially with olives and such. Plus in my opinion it's always nice to have a little breather after holidays before hopping back into breeding projects.

Personally I'd love to have a xenowyrm mass breed because there never seem to be enough in the AP! They're always snapped up so quickly.

I like all of the planned events you have listed, but especially the BSAs, to which I would add Magis and Purples. I've been breeding a lot of new pairs lately and using lots of those Purples. BSAs go quickly, so I can't see anyone having issues with a mass breed of those.

Hybrids would be fun. So would 3rd+ gen PBs. I have lots of those and my pairs don't see much action once they have made their contribution to the line LOL My poor P2Ds don't see much action either, so that event would be nice, too.

As to how many I'd actually participate in, it would depend how close together they are. Every couple a months wold be ok for me.

I love this and want to participate so badly. It would give me something to do on DC since I'm not active in lineages or really anything other than catching things and trading. laugh.gif

All of them sound fun. Color days, BSA, types, breeds, checkers, hybrids, whatever. Let's do it!!

I like all of these ideas, and I'd love to participate! (except with the Olives - I'd only be stalking the AP on that one ninja.gif)

A week or two after the event ends seems like a good timespan to me; it gives a reasonable timespan for IOUs and things, but it's less likely to coincide with a new release.

I like this. I also agree that Purples should be added now that fertility can help reduce the chance of refusals. I like the idea of Color Day - I think it would be fun to breed a different color each day for a week.

I think about 2-3 weeks after the event finishes would be a good start. Then every 2 weeks or so - maybe more.

Great thread, Sock smile.gif

I think Hybrid and Alt breeding could be combined.

Personally, I would *not* want to see a dedicated Xeno massbreeding, due to ratio reasons. Xenos as part of the checker and other lineage breedings are a different thing, of course.

I think heads up a week before, here in the thread might be good? And possibly a PMed one a day before for those who wanted one.

I wonder love to see the vampire day! Mwahahahahaha! Bite my pretties! *Coughs* Olives would also be good as I'm doing the Holly Contest

This would be great, I hate walls of one egg but would love to contribute to a Color day, etc. A week's notice would be all I need, if I'm not working I would contribute smile.gif

I think monthly events would be good, maybe starting in March (who knows how long the V-day backlog will be). I also would like a reminder the week before and a PM the day of.

Sounds fun biggrin.gif

Maybe do a spriter day where people breed dragons by one particular spriter?

Also you could merge your holidaykin events into this, Sock, unless you prefer them seperate :3

Oh, I am definitely interested in this. I have a ton of even gen lines from breeding projects to contribute. Um, I am curious about whether 2nd gens would fit into the category of 'messy/unpatterned lines'. Personally I really like finding new pairings and picking up 2nd gens that catch my fancy to make future checkers.

- What events do you really like

Events for breeding holiday-kins, metal/prize-kins and breeds of a single color sound interesting. The idea of a drake, pygmy or 2-headed breeding event also sounds good as those breeds could definitely use more love.

I kind of miss having the contests hosted by Vhale, so maybe we could bring those back occasionally? (I'd be more than happy to help with getting prizes)

- What events would you not want to see in the AP

Events that focus on one single breed. I've had times in the past when I needed certain common breeds for breeding projects and couldn't find them because the ratios were thrown out of whack due to a collection contest.

- How soon after VDay would you like to see an event

A week. Basically give it enough time for holiday dragons to grow up so that players have room on their scrolls.

- How often do you have the energy to participate in a mass breed

Maybe once or twice a month. There's not much going on during summer months, so it'd make sense to have them more often.

- How much head's up do you need/want before an event.

A week. That way there's time to let dragons to come off cooldown.

@coo_ - about xenos, someone else already mentioned them being new and not wanting to mess up their ratios, but I had two other thoughts on this. 1) I know they're not all the same, but they're close enough that I would consider this a single-breed mass breed, plus I have doubts that they'll breed well enough for us to enjoy mass breeding them. 2) There aren't many wyrms/amphipteres if we did a mass breed of those. That'd be xenos, blusangs, tidals, and sunsongs. Am I missing any? So if we did an event like that, xenos would be pretty well represented.

So yeah. I think we can do some stuff that includes xenos, but I myself am unsure about doing just xenos. ^^

And yeah, hybrids/alts would result in a real mix in the AP, not all of which is what we'd be aiming for, but I think we all know the possibilities going in. Plus, hey, that'll just help keep the AP mixed. =p

@wbmorgan and Lesh4537 - sorry for the confusion! BSAs would include all BSA dragons (pinks, reds, aeons, purples, magis, pebbles, soulpeaces, trios, shallow waters, bolts, and I guess people could include aegis and celestials if they were so inclined), but the focus would be on breeding the BSAs that I think people look for the most. But all would be included. =)

@Lesh4537 - I do like the Color of the Day idea! That's pretty cute.

@Ruby Eyes - I thought about mixing hybrids/alts in my list and separated them on a whim. If we do one event a month and skip holiday months, though, I do think I'll combine those events. o3o Or maybe we could do something similar to Lesh's Color of the Day idea and do hybrids one day and alts the day after?

@angelicdragonpuppy - I thought about spriter days, but I had another thought I think I like better. I was thinking after a few mass breeds, I'd ask some regular participants what their favorite (common/uncommon) dragon was, and we could do an event for those breeds, as a thank you to those that regularly participate.

Actually, I was thinking of doing that with the possible olive event. That way we do something fun that involves you guys and we don't end up with a single-breed mass breed. Thoughts? <- This is in color because I'm specifically responding to adp, but I'm proposing this to the whole thread!

As for merging the holiday-kin thread - yes, I thought about that! I didn't yet because I was thinking people might want to do that one more often but after having a night to sleep on it and seeing your comment... I liked doing the specific holiday-kin right before their holidays. So I think I'll stick mainly with that and probably close the specific holiday-kin thread. We could do another one in the middle of the year, but I don't think many people plan for mates that early - just the dedicated few. =o Plus, if the people who participate in the holiday-kin events are the same ones who are going to be participating here, it doesn't make sense to keep the events separate.

@Daydreamer09 - yes, 2nd gens would be considered neat! I just specified 3+ gen for purebreds because I see a lot of 2nd gens in the AP but not much after that. Plus I know that, just myself, if I pick up two 2nd gens in the AP with the intent of breeding them, I'm not likely to follow up. But if I pick up some 3rd gens or higher, then I'm much more likely to actually follow through and breed those together.

I thought about a metal-kin event but wasn't sure about the interest it might garner. If more people are into that, we can totally add that!

As for Vhale's contests. Those were a really good idea! I have mixed feelings about this, though. On one hand, I did like those contests and they did a great job at lowering time in the AP. I also recall people noting that certain breeds were easier to work on other lineages with that right after the breedings. But on the other hand, with the way they were set up (with 20 breedings = one ticket and no ticket limits), they were also quite stressful, at least for me because I had a lot of eligible dragons and wanted to breed as many as I could.

So, that being said, I would be up for helping to host such a contest (although would def need help getting prizes). I would certainly be happy to co-plan events between these mass breeds and those contests. But I wouldn't want to completely merge the events and just host raffles here because I want this to be more laid back and relaxed and just a time to find neat lineages in the AP.

@all - thanks you all for the feedback! Users seem pretty agreed, so I like: one mass breeding a month starting in March with a week's notice.

So that brings up two more questions from me!

- Do you want to do more regularly scheduled events (example, the first weekend in a month or a little more vague and just say the beginning of the month) or would you prefer to mix it up a little (which gives us more flexibility, some events would be at the beginning of the month, some in the middle, maybe some at the end, but we wouldn't do two events that close together)?

- How many days do you want to have for breeding? For holiday-kin breeding, I've been doing one main day and the day before and after are "unofficial" join days. If we're going to do regular, monthly events would you like more days for breeding or would you be more motivated if we stick with less days?

I like the colour idea smile.gif Kind of teaches you how many dragons per colour we have already! laugh.gif

I think we could have a "ballpark number" day, with flexibility added if something happens to happen (like an unexpected release).

I would be more motivated with breeding taking place over fewer days. Regularly scheduled events are also preferred too so that I can have dragons ready to breed when needed.

I really like this idea and would be happy with any/all of your suggestions. After all if someone doesn't really like or can't take part in any of them, there will still be plenty of people who can.

I can honestly say there is nothing I wouldn't want to see in the AP. And I really like all the ideas you have suggested *wry grin*

As for how often? That's somewhat more difficult due to new releases and never knowing when they might happen. However, as we all have different scroll goals I'm sure there will always be those who can breed at any given time and those who can't.

On that note I would suggest that even if you do for for a set time of the month, that if that coincides with a new release that you move the event. But again, not everyone wants to grab new dragons immediately - we all play differently.

I would have thought an event a month would be a good idea. I honestly wouldn't mind if the event was a one day affair or spread over say three days.

As for how soon after Valentine's Day? I'd say beginning of March would be a good idea.

Also, I know it's work for you, but a reminder eight days before the event would be good, so people don't breed the necessary dragons.

I would participate whenever I can. I would like to think I could participate in most events, but sometimes my energy levels are lower than others and as I've found from the superb Holiday kin breeding events, mass breeding actually can be jolly tiring. You really wouldn't think a few clicks would be, but it can be.

I'm already looking forward to the events both as a breeder and snaggler smile.gif

@angelicdragonpuppy - I thought about spriter days, but I had another thought I think I like better. I was thinking after a few mass breeds, I'd ask some regular participants what their favorite (common/uncommon) dragon was, and we could do an event for those breeds, as a thank you to those that regularly participate.

Actually, I was thinking of doing that with the possible olive event. That way we do something fun that involves you guys and we don't end up with a single-breed mass breed. Thoughts?

<- This is in color because I'm specifically responding to adp, but I'm proposing this to the whole thread!

As for merging the holiday-kin thread - yes, I thought about that! I didn't yet because I was thinking people might want to do that one more often but after having a night to sleep on it and seeing your comment... I liked doing the specific holiday-kin right before their holidays. So I think I'll stick mainly with that and probably close the specific holiday-kin thread. We could do another one in the middle of the year, but I don't think many people plan for mates that early - just the dedicated few. =o Plus, if the people who participate in the holiday-kin events are the same ones who are going to be participating here, it doesn't make sense to keep the events separate.

[...]

So that brings up two more questions from me!

That would be fun too, yes biggrin.gif

I'm also ok with events taking place at different times throughout the month. Lets us shift around holidays and respond to any interesting time related prompt we might have.

And I'd prefer one day with before/after breedings acceptable too.

What events do you really like?

Holidaykin are nice. Hybrids. P2Ds. Breeds with variants (Xenos, Pyralspites, Coppers). Alt Lotteries.

What events would you not want to see in the AP?

Mass-Breeding of 1 specific Breed. Overdone and uninteresting.

How soon after VDay would you like to see an event?

2 weeks would be fine for me, personally. It gives me enough time to do last minute trading of low-time Valentine's Dragons.

How often do you have the energy to participate in a mass breed?

I typically Mass-Breed my scroll every week when nice things are off their Breeding Cool Down, so I'd be able to do it on demand.

How much head's up do you need/want before an event?

A week would be good. That'd ensure that my Dragons involved in such matters would be able to Breed.

Do you want to do more regularly scheduled events (example, the first weekend in a month or a little more vague and just say the beginning of the month) or would you prefer to mix it up a little (which gives us more flexibility, some events would be at the beginning of the month, some in the middle, maybe some at the end, but we wouldn't do two events that close together)?

Difficult question. I loathed when TJ started doing randomized releases. The suspense of "when" would drive me mad. But I can also see why it would be beneficial to have events at different times. Maybe if a Calendar was created a few months in advance, that'd work for me.

How many days do you want to have for breeding? For holiday-kin breeding, I've been doing one main day and the day before and after are "unofficial" join days. If we're going to do regular, monthly events would you like more days for breeding or would you be more motivated if we stick with less days?

It really depends on how many people end up participating. If we had only a few people over a period of a high number of days, we may never see the effects of the Mass-Breeding. We may need to do a few Mass-Breedings before we come up with a final number. Some things need to be tested before anything is set in stone. ^^

Thanks all for answer and participating!

After reading what you guys thought and thinking it over, here's what I decided:

Events will be sometime in the first or second week of the month. I think we may be more likely to avoid new releases that way, but it also gives us a little freedom in movement but you guys have an idea of when to expect an event.

Events will be two main days right after each other (likely weekends). For those with lots of pairs or a busy schedule, I'll also include a minor day before and a minor day after. However, the reminders will focus on the main days. The day before/after will be like warm-up/cool-down. =p

Just from experience and knowing my memory, PM reminders will probably be sent out the first main day of the event or a few hours beforehand.

I'm debating what to do for the March event, but I think I'll leave it as a surprise until I announce it! Anybody who posts interested in the event after it's announced will receive a reminder.

However, I would like to offer a "special feature": sign up to be reminded of all events in 2017. I'll be re-organizing the first and reserved posts a little, and I will keep a people who would like to just sign up for blanket reminders somewhere in one of those. You guys will receive a PM reminder about all events, even if you don't post in the thread for a certain event. That way you don't have to worry about keeping track of checking in for events or worry about missing new posts in the thread. Or you can choose to just post for events that you want to participate in.

Taking sign-ups now, though. o3o