Alchemy

Egg gamble

I really like the idea of trader canyon but still waiting for a store...

Here would be a different approach to a store.

Egg in biomes called Mud balls.

Hey there is an egg covered in mud which seems to still be alive but time has stopped.

This egg doesn't seem to want to hatch.

Add dragon with BSA called egg cleaner.

The egg is cleaner and going to hatch but you still can't tell what it will be. Unique hatching sequence so no hint until it hatches.

The egg could be anything from a holiday hatchie from any year, a prize type, a rare, an alt, common, uncommon ect. After all for the eggs in the mud time stopped so anything is possible. Since you are only allowed 2 holiday CB on your scroll if you already had them then they would drop into the AP after hatching.

I like surprises so for me this would be fun. I would most likely hatch 1 of these every week.

I'm confused what the BSA is for if you still can't see what the egg is?

Are you suggesting that mud transforms eggs in the cave to random eggs? Or these are specifically generated random eggs?

My question is, would these mud eggs be common, uncommon, or rare? I can see them being no where in the biomes if they were common. Everyone would want a chance to get a prize dragon or a CB holiday someone hasn't gotten.

Asking for the CB holidays: there would be that rare chance of getting a CB Holly so I can see that becoming a big issue with people. I would be devastated of I collected a lot of mud eggs and no Holly to show for it.

I dislike the idea of being able to obtain holidays in large quantities outside of the store. Which this would allow, as you've put it. Really, they're supposed to be holiday eggs. They're not supposed to be found out of season. I'm tentatively okay with the way the store handles that, but not this, because this doesn't seem to have any limit to it other than ratios and RNG. There's no effort or time lapse involved, just luck.

Also, I don't understand what's really going on. Egg doesn't want to hatch? Time is stopped?

And it's not a store, if you can just grab random eggs from there. I mean, I kinda like the idea if you remove the holidays. But this isn't a replacement of concept for the store... what you're pitching just sounds like mystery eggs that you need a specific breed of dragon to be able to hatch, and then they can be anything. (Which doesn't really sound like cleaning if you still don't know what it is, just tending to the egg. If the dragon actually cleaned the egg, removing the mud, then presumably you would be able to see the shell.)

Also... if this is making rares more obtainable than they already are, then the ratios would have to be messed with. If they do follow the ratios, then expect to never see golds and silvers from these - which might not be what you were intending.

Edited by Dianacat777

If these eggs had a chance to be rare eggs, especially if Prizes were possible, I could like this idea. It wouldn't really bother me if most of them were commons, as long as there was the hope of getting a CB Prize or a CB Gold or a CB Holly. I would probably try one of them whenever I had an extra spot on my scroll.

Personally, though, I would be very miffed if I spent two days hatching an egg only to find out it was a CB Holiday that I already had two of (which is everything except the Holly!) and it abandoned when it hatched. It would be much better if it never allowed you to pick it up if you weren't going to be able to keep it.

I think if it has CB holidays, it should decide it's a CB holiday, and then determine which one based on what you already have. So in my case it would be a CB winter from 2011 or earlier (2012 is when I stopped freezing CB hatchlings), a Valentines from 2012 or earlier (CB hatchlings again), a CB Heartsteeler (missed the drop), or a CB Halloween (no limits). That way someone who has almost all of them wouldn't keep being frustrated by having it become a CB holiday, and then have that holiday auto-abandon because it's the wrong one.

I think rares given from the mud ball should not be affected by and not count towards the ratios. Commons should count, since it's a good way to get commons into circulation. But rares, either the chances of getting a rare would be so low that it wouldn't be worth bothering, or the ratios are bumped for the mud balls but then they become the only way to obtain rares because they're stealing all the CBs that should be dropping in the cave. It might work to have them affected by ratios as normal if the chances of a CB holiday are decently high, since then people would be getting them mainly for the chances of getting an uncommon or holiday, but then be surprised by a CB gold after long enough.

I'm neutral to mildly supportive of the idea itself. It sounds interesting, but it doesn't have me excited.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Err... sorry, but none of this really makes sense. Why would being in the mud make time stop? Why would mud covered eggs be able to hatch into any dragon in the game, even ones that can't be found in the cave in any other way? Where is the dragon that would get the cleaning BSA?

I get that you're trying to add a way to get holidays / prizes in the cave if the store doesn't happen, but I think it'd make more sense to just do them as normal rare drops (for holidays, probably in-season ones) instead.

Edit: I'd also be down for eggs in the biomes that are total mystery eggs, with a description like "this egg is so far back in the cave that it's hard to see what it looks like." You'd be able to see them as soon as you took them, though, and they could only be things you could find in the cave normally.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I can just see the DC IRC chats. "Yo, I can't pick up the middle Alpine mudball. It must be a Holiday! Someone go steal it!" xd.png

I don't really like the idea, namely because it IS random. "GON darn it! That's the hundredth flippin' Balloon! I have enough hot air to blow this Balloon up if I wanted to!" Random eggs would suck. For me, anyways. unsure.gif

Joking aside - this idea doesn't really scream "Implement me right meow!" IDK maybe flesh it out more instead of just 10 sentences?

Oh, and to be a Negative Nancy, I have a feeling that multi-scrolling would go through the roof. And no one wants that. Hell to the no. dry.gif

I can see the reasoning behind this, but ehh. Why mud? As Sock asked, why the BSA if you still can't tell what it is? Why would time stop?

Are these affected by ratios? Do they drop holidays only during their prospective time periods (Christmas breeds in December, etc.) or all year round?

Also, like others have mentioned, I think the holidays should adjust to the users' scrolls. Have two Sweetling dragons? That's okay, it'll hatch as a different breed that you are missing.

Edit: also, this seems like spontaneous egg creation. Which is a no.

Edited by Jazeki

Wow

Way more replies than I expected.

Why does the mud stop time? Because that's how you explain how an out of time flow egg could be found. I mean really if you're introducing reality into it then how would you ever feed all these dragons in the first place.

The BSA was just a fun idea to make some other dragon useful.

The idea is that it would be a controlled method to introduce some additional rares without flooding the market. I think it's pretty lame that people find so may ways to rig the system. I mean honestly someone with slower reflexes or slow internet is seriously disadvantaged.

You could leave the holidays out or only have them in the mix for 10-20 days after the event.

As to losing a dragon cause you can't have more than two on your scroll. That would be a risk you tske. Look at the dragons that are lost trying to get a neglected. At least you wouldn't have a dead egg on your scroll.

I don't know how you deal with multiple scrolls. I would think raffles have the same issues. That people would get more scrolls to have more chances. I really can't imagine having the time for all those scrolls.

Personally l like the store idea but I wonder if it would be a programing nightmare.

Just make it so the holiday decides what kind it is based on your own scroll. The egg just decides it's a "holiday", and it only decides which one when someone picks it up. Unless the CB holidays are literally common in this system, think about the frustration of finally hatching a holiday out of the thing and it being one you already have, so it auto-abandons. It would become nearly inevitable frustration if you're a person who has been here long enough to have most of the holidays already.

And the risk you take when getting these eggs is getting a common that you have no interest in. It doesn't need more risk of getting the special holiday egg and then discovering it's the wrong one and you aren't allowed to keep it.

If you're going to introduce ideas, you need a little more than "because it is so." The BSA section especially asks that suggestions fit the dragons they are paired with.

TJ explained in the lore thread that scrolls and dragon counts are left to the player to decide. So, it's up to the user to determine "how many" and "how they're fed," but questioning how I feed all my dragons does not explain why an egg would be muddy, why the egg affects time, or why a dragon would need a BSA to hatch it.

As PF13 said, that's a big risk unless holiday dragons are common muddy eggs. In the game, CB holidays are available once during their specific holiday and then never again. It'd be a calculated risk to decide whether or not you want to essentially waste an egg slot on a dragon that could be automatically abandoned. Sure, it wouldn't die, but it would be a lot of work for nothing. Unrelated, but since you used Neglected dragons as the analogy, not everyone takes the time to try and make those. Those users that don't never have to worry about dead eggs due to neglected attempts. My own neglected dragons were gifts.

And just because you can't imagine how people can multiscroll doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

(Please excuse typos as this is a mobile reply)

I can see Mud slowing down (or speeding up) the egg hatching process depending on the location of said egg. Some people, store fish and meats by coating them in clay, which keeps the temps stable, slows down critters from eating it, and blocks out air, bacteria and insects. They can also cook the same foods while coated in clay...as it will trap heat and such. Of course, coating a living dragons eggy in clay or mud, would eventually suffocate it. My daughter stores jars of various bugs in the fridge, which prevents them from changing stages, until she is able to document the changes. IIRC certain animals lay eggs that dont really change until the area surrounding the eggs changes to match the needs of the specific critter. I know I have seen spider nests completely frozen, that still hatched when it warmed up (thanks to my daughter...)

I dont see a need for a BSA to "clean" the egg. Our people are high powered mages, and sure, magic is a thing.. but there is no reason our people couldnt just brush dirt off themselves. Washing eggs makes the shells weaker. If the dragon is developing well, it should be able to easily handle breaking the mud apart in the hatching process. If we assume the dirt is stained by mana or other chemicals, I can see mud masking a breed (but only to the extent that it may stain the existing color to be slightly more red, or green.. or whatever).

Personally, I wouldnt want to see muddy eggs in the cave specifically. Instead, perhaps they could be the eggs that people don't take from the cave, that get bumped over to the AP, which of course does encroach on other suggestions that exist, but for slightly different reasons: All those people walking past the caves trying to hunt what they can reach, would potentially kick up the muddy levels a bit, eggs could be easily missed while people tiptoe around through the slippery mud, and end up coated. If weather were a thing, these eggs could be covered in moss, mud, ice.. whatever during the course of a year. A BSA is unneeded, simply set these eggs to require slightly more UV than their normal cb counterparts to account for the insulation that mud/clay provides.

I like the general idea of a random egg but what you have now would not make sense.

It would be better if it was a frozen egg. ''This egg is covered in ice and frost''

And maybe after a day in your care the ice would melt and you could see what it is.

If its a CB Holiday of what you already have you could put it up for trade before it hatches?

I like the general idea of a random egg but what you have now would not make sense.

It would be better if it was a frozen egg. ''This egg is covered in ice and frost''

And maybe after a day in your care the ice would melt and you could see what it is.

If its a CB Holiday of what you already have you could put it up for trade before it hatches?

I'd have to disagree with the CB holiday that you already have, except for Halloween. What's to stop people putting up CB Christmas Dragons (like Snow) for a CB Holly? I would have to say that the CB Holidays in the past be released a week prior to the release. Like PokemonFan said, if we already have 2 CB of the Christmas kind, we shouldn't be allowed to pick it up.

Technically I said that you would pick it up, and then it would decide which holiday it is based on what you do and don't already have. Not being able to pick it up from the get go would be strange. It would basically scream "there's a holiday in this one!", so the person could rally their friends to pick it up (or log in to a multiaccount and grab it to trade). That's of course assuming that these eggs don't disappear the moment they are spotted, but that depends on how common they are, how high the chance of something good is, and what people generally think of using their egg slots to gamble.

Many good comments. Honestly one of the reasons I did not fully flesh out the idea was I expected that people who have played much longer and harder than I would have a better understanding of how such things could be done. I also thought perhaps a spider web in the back of the gave. Who to say such a magical place could not give rise to a spider that would store living prey in a semi comatose state until needed. The spiders might periodic be eaten leading to abandon webs with eggs wrapped in Silk. From my days breeding reptiles I had clutches of egg where almost all the eggs hatched except for a few. Those eggs still seemed good so l left them only to have them hatch months later. Some eggs can go over a year and still hatch.

My theory on the mud would be the cool temperature never allows the egg to start the development. Removing some of the mud allows the process to start again. Completely cleaning the eggs would kill them. You sure don't dare do that with chicken eggs. Yes I've hatched lots of those too. Chicken eggs can be temperature delayed too. Clock doesn't start until you warm them up. Heck I know of people who hatched eggs from supermarket. Rare since most are not fertile but it happens. I think they must be the neglected of the chicken world... As I said I'm not a hard cord player but I find myself between wow these are really easy to get and I've never even seen a gold egg. The difference between this type of idea and a store is that you could look at the prize dragon and say OK X were released into the wild, Y are dead and these scrolls were inactive for a long time so we will reintroduce some predetermined quantity back into the game. It was meant to be a suggestion working within the existing programing for introducing a few prizes back into the gene pool.

I could understand if it was something like the abandoned page, where the eggs got dirty for whatever reason and was left in the traders canyon... Time, idk. It really doesn't concern me.

As you get more views, the more the mud disappears. As for the event dragons - which is something I personally won't like, unless you could collect more than the usual 2 - then it might be ok.

Even if once a week, you're entitled to a free "egg" and then the rest of the week, you pay a small fee... But keeping ratios from the cave definitely.

Two words: Time Mana.

I don't think we want to make golds and silvers more frequent. (I'm surprised no one come in shouting "Rares are rare for a reason!!11") But spreading them out more throughout the population would be nice instead of the "fast clickers" scooping up almost all of them. I don't know that I agree with all the details of this idea though.

The different kinds of mana are already canon. And look, there's Time mana all handy and stuff. Maybe find a way to explain the eggs' delay with that.

Agreed that rares are rare for a reason. It is just frustrating to see 4 CB silvers up for trade by one person when you don't even see one in a month. Forget slow clicks. Maybe I'm old and slow but I don,'t even get the thrll of a near miss.

Boy i love the idea of an egg that would gradually reveal it self. Especially if it only gave you enough to guess but not be entirely sure. Bet that would drive the artists nuts if it could even be done.

You wouldn't necessarily need to sprite all the different eggs being slowly revealed. The cracking sequence uses an overlay. Something like that for 90% of the eggs would work. Something like an opaque mud ball appearance to start and then an "uncovering" sequence that corresponded to the cracking sequence, gradually revealing more of the egg's design.

and then the rest of the week, you pay a small fee... But keeping ratios from the cave definitely.

I hope you don't mean cash money. NO WAY.

I hope you don't mean cash money. NO WAY.

It seemed to me like he wanted to tie it in with the Trader's Canyon, so I don't think so.

+1 for no real money anyway, though.

Why does this even need any kind of time mana, time delay or whatnot? If CB holidays get restricted to their respective breeding window, but with a higher chance of getting just such a holiday egg, there's no reason to add any delays to the system.

Add some other reasonable limits - like only one muddy egg on your scroll at any given time and mud gets removed after 24 hours (so the egg doesn't count as a muddy egg any more) should do the rest.

Holiday limits are a different thing to conider. Either keep the 2 CB limits, or don't. Personally, I believe that the latter is more likely because it look like breed limits for holidays only apply from (roughly) the time the newest breed starts dropping until a short time after the last hatchling has grown up or been frozen. The only breed limits still permanently in existence are for GoNs and leetle trees anyway.

Edited for spellfail.

Edited by olympe

I don't really like this much, but wouldn't mind if it was there IF it had its own separate biome dropping nothing but the mud mystery eggs... I'd rathe rnot see mor eof cave blocking - because if getting a rare or normally unavailable stuff has too low chance to bother, too many players would be leaving them unpicked and they could become new cave blockers... Well, personally, aside of zombie making and breeding 3 eggs per couple to freeze, I wouldn't need egg slots so maybe I'd pick up these and gift the results to my bf, as I don't need anything anymore (Though it the Trader's Canyon was implemented I'd maybe consider getting better Prize pairs as not all my (arrowhead) pairs are perfect(contain 2 different CB breeds instead of 1)