Dragon_Arbock

Update DC to the standards of newer pet sites

I just have to say I agree strongly with your first point. Without fan sites I would be royally screwed. I don't go on forums anymore, and I'm not gonna join one just to raise dragons. So if the fan sites go down I would probably quit. Changing the view system is really drastic, but I think it's necessary if DC wants to be an independent site.

As for everything else.. I think people have been suggesting stuff like that for years. DC does need more activities etc. Would be great to have some additions to the site, but not gonna hold my breath.

Edit: To clarify, I don't think eggs dying should be removed, but I think it's a problem that DC is reliant on third party sites to hatch their eggs. I would be in support of an internal system of egg hatching.

Edited by meowxmeow

That part is not true- the skins are also stocked in the marketplace, with the exception of one or two being brewing exclusive.

I'm not saying FR is the right way to do a coliseum. Keyboard controls would be nice. I'm also not a fan of the holiday only items, but at least they can be sold and traded long after the fact- but you ignore that DC has the very same issue, just in a different form.

Holiday items = CB holiday dragons. Except our CBs are only available for one day as opposed to a whole week, and can't be traded after they grow up.

Either adult trading or an in-game store for DC would rectify this, but as of right now, it's no better.

Yeah, but that part was broken too. Getting money was hard in FR. Your choices were - hooray! - more grinding, in the minigames, breeding and selling lots of fodder dragons (which shouldn't really be required if you only wanted to breed pretty dragons), having a successful hatchery - or taking the risk of trying to sell dragons without one, which usually had mixed results at best - or more Coli grinding to level and exalt dragons.

(Or sniping, but that was a lot of work.)

It was just... a very bad system overall. I'm just providing an example of how DC should definitely not handle things, because FR was, in my opinion, a disaster. They'll have to rework the whole thing to fix that mess.

I think your store idea is alright, actually. (I'm just trying to focus only on things I have replies to so I don't make a massive wall of text xd.png) I don't think the value of holidays descended from "original" CBs will go down at all, and people have the opportunity to get dragons they weren't able to before. If it takes enough work to trade in for an egg, then I wouldn't be opposed to it at all.

I feel like adult trading would break the trading system, though, and start to favour people who have a bigger hoard of dragons. Unless you could only trade one adult at a time, as others have mentioned, people would just stockpile on their CB shinies and be done with it. Inflation of dragons' value would get worse and worse. Not to mention, why take an egg when you can have an adult that's already gendered and ready to breed?

The whole egg thing just... puts everyone on more even footing. A noob that gets lucky and gets a Silver egg can trade just as easily as a gold-trophy user with a Silver egg... But bring in adult trading, and that older user that has 50 CB Silver adults stockpiled can outbid the noob any time.

Edited by Toodles

You come on, grab or breed a few eggs, then go away again for 3-4 days.

This is exactly what I love about DC. This is the reason I've been here since 2009. I just don't have time to spend all day in a petsite.

My input on these suggestions:

1. Please no. I rarely log out of DC whether I'm actively playing or not. I play Chicken Smoothie. I can literally pick up my pets once a month and let them sit indefinitely and they'll do their thing. I wouldn't mind this because I'm lazy, but it's not that hard to check into your scroll as your eggs and hatchies are growing. Then your dragons are basically immune from death as adults (unless you, y'know, kill them).

2. A shop is okay and it's been mentioned in another thread, but we've gone this long without it. It is not necessary to DC.

3. I'm meh about this. I like my 500+ dragons and I don't want people randomly bothering me with trades for my dragons as they do for pets on Chicken Smoothie. I have named them all and I want to keep them.

4. Honestly, I'm really lazy about DC and I don't think mini-games will enhance gameplay all that much. DC is for collecting, not mini-gaming or battling. If you're bored, play something else. Or breed. Or trade.

5. Cave blockers have been addressed in another thread. Also, I'm not sure if you're aware, eggs that sit get deleted with each 5 minute shuffle.

Really, none of these suggestions would "update" DC. The art style is updating, new features are being added. Why do you want a pet site that's exactly like every other pet site?

Edited by Jazeki

I disagree with pretty much everything except the store and minigames being playable year round. I'd personally like it to be possible for the new players to be able to acquire CBs of the older exclusives. Although I think TJ shot that concept of bringing back CBs of exclusives down as never happening somewhere, but I cannot remember for certain.

The whole needing fansites to hatch eggs is probably the only aspect of the game that might daunt new players - back in my first days I was panicking when my first egg was showing signs of not hatching with the timer ticking down, before a very kind member pointed me in the direction of the fansites; this info is now accessible through the HELP menu though so it's been adequately addressed.

Alternatively it could be fun to add an option to play minigames in order to acquire clicks, views and unique views to hatch your eggs if adding them to hatcheries or signatures is less than appealing. Also would be something a user could do to help ER eggs hatch more quickly. ...maybe a suggestion for a new thread? xd.png

E: edit to add I also like the slower paced playstyle of DC and don't feel it needs to take on aspects of other games, it appeals to me because it is not like other pet-sites.

Edited by Psykotika

Yeah, most of your suggestions have no support from me.

Maybe a extra little mini game outside of Holiday times would be fun as long as it did not effect anything outside of the mini game.

Also, if you have a cellphone you can add any eggs you have to a fan site to make sure they don't die while you don't have your computer....I have done it myself when traveling far without my computer. Should a user not have a cell phone they could get on a school or library computer to add their scroll real fast to EATW or something.

So really its very rare to have a egg die unless you forget about it.

Also we got a lot of updates/changes last year so I would not say it is still the same.

This is just a simple fun game and most of us enjoy it that way.

Edited by maylin

My two cents:

1. Ugh no. I don't want to have to log in every day just so my egg will go down and be hatchable. Death is part of DC. Unless you literally don't log in for a week and refuse to add eggs to hatcheries your eggs are not going to die.

2. No. A store has been suggested already, and is unnecessary. There are better solutions to getting old CBs.

3. Nope. That would get out of control very quickly. People with CB holidays (especially Hollies) and CB prizes would literally be spammed to oblivion.

4. Depends. Minigames sound neat but outside holidays they aren't really needed - however I can agree with having something "else" to do while waiting for eggs and hatchlings to grow. But then again that takes a lot of coding as well and really isn't that important. When i'm bored I just hunt in the cave for rares or the AP. Maybe a minigame that lets you collect frozen eggs or something.

5. I actually love how the AP is handled - it's fun to run there, grab some low time eggs, and help complete your dragon hoard. A lot of the stuff can even get down to instantly hatchable. I've never actually a large group of eggs under 3 days, so someone must be picking them all up. Even when a giant wall of flamingos/storms pass by, they all eventually get grabbed. I'd rather not have eggs deleted, especially since this means "low time" eggs from the AP would disappear.

Edited by Robot Chimera

DC is not a pet site, it has never been a pet site. It is a collectible site- there is no point in having a ton of extra features when the objective of the game is just to collect things.

I love DC because it is low maintenance. I don't have to try and sit here for an hour + every day to meet all of my goals. There are a lot of games I have left just because they ate up too much time.

With DC, I can log in, make sure I'm not getting viewbombed, incubate/hatch/catch as necessary, and then not have to worry about it again for a while. I love it because it's quick but you still get the 'reward' of a new dragon on your scroll.

That said:

• Eggs can not die / User Activated Rollover

I don't want to have to log in every day just to get my eggs to the point where they're hatchable or could be safely hatched without getting sick. The countdown is a core mechanic of the game- it ties into keeping people from stripping the cave bare by grabbing and hatching, into making neglected dragons, and into scroll management during limited releases. Assuming egg sickness was done away with entirely along with the countdown that starts when you pick the egg up, and you could hatch eggs as soon as you had enough views- there'd never be anything left in the cave. There'd never be any downtime for the quick-clickers. Which means, you'd be competing for every rare or uncommon with the entirety of the site- not just those who aren't egglocked. Having the lock and countdown that we currently have makes it easier for those of us with slower connections or slower reflexes to at least have a CHANCE of getting a CB gold or silver.

• Prize Shop

CBs of event eggs are for those who participated in the event. There are no event eggs that can not be obtained via breeding the subsequent year. It is not necessary to make these eggs buyable- I would imagine that those with CB Holly dragons would probably be miffed if their rare dragons were suddenly dime a dozen. If you want an event dragon, you can catch or trade for a nice lineaged one. It's the same sprite. Being able to buy them freely would also result in all of those auto-abandoned eggs sitting there dying because nobody will want to or be able to pick them up. Any sort of prize shop should be for a prize-shop exclusive dragon, or things currently catchable in-cave.

• Trading

Being able to trade adults defeats the purpose of collecting dragons and makes trading extremely unfair for those who can't catch rares out of the cave. A newbie with a CB dino will never be able to compete with an older use who has an army of CB golds and silvers at their disposal.

• DC lacking

Again, this is why me and many others enjoy it. It's low maintenance and doesn't require a huge time commitment from those of us who have lives that make keeping up with other pet sites difficult.

• Cave Blockers

Someone will always pick the dragons up out of the AP. I've never seen one die of old age, unless maybe one was caught behind the holiday breeding wall. SOMEONE will pick those up. Just because a lot of people throw something back doesn't mean someone else wouldn't love to have it. There is no need to delete an egg just because you don't fancy it. That would probably be hurtful to the breeder, and again, someone will take it eventually- even if it's just to freeze. The limits exist for a reason, and having the AP clogged does absolutely no harm to anyone.

I love DC the way it is. It is great because it is simple. It has kept my attention for years because it is simple and easy to play. It would lose all of it's charm and appeal if it ended up like every other petsite out there. Edited by Daypaw

You come on, grab or breed a few eggs, then go away again for 3-4 days.

First of all, I'm going to admit that I skimmed the huge wall of text. TL;DR. But I read enough to be able to say this: The FACT that DC has maintained its minimal-style play is SUPER attractive to me. An old game I used to play, you HAD to get on EVERY DAY to succeed in the game. I like not feeling pressured to be on DC 24/7. DC's low maintenance is what has kept me here for darn near 9 years.

If ANYTHING were to happen, I would want the Trader's Canyon/Store idea to be implemented. That would be engaging, and you'd have more things to do, but it wouldn't be a REQUIREMENT.

Also, if you have a cellphone you can add any eggs you have to a fan site to make sure they don't die while you don't have your computer....I have done it myself when traveling far without my computer. Should a user not have a cell phone they could get on a school or library computer to add their scroll real fast to EATW or something.

Yeah I forgot to mention I do not have a cell phone. I usually fog my eggs after they hatch because if I don't they get sick- I did not have this knowledge about EATW supposedly not killing dragons.

2. No. A store has been suggested already, and is unnecessary. There are better solutions to getting old CBs.

Most people seem to be fine with the idea of a store. How else would you suggest? Raffles did not work out at all.

Also, as far as the AP goes, I'm the kind of person who uses their army of Vampires to bite any eggs that aren't getting grabbed. No matter how low the time I'm not interested in collecting poor lineages otherwise.

And for concerns with adult trading, the market will only allow what people will trade for. Anyone can offer a highly unreasonable trade even now, but it takes two to make that actually happen. Could easily put a limit on how many dragons can actually be sent in a two-way trade, but as it is now there's nothing stopping people from accepting IOUs for more than 7 CB metals already.

[*]Prize Shop

CBs of event eggs are for those who participated in the event. There are no event eggs that can not be obtained via breeding the subsequent year. It is not necessary to make these eggs buyable- I would imagine that those with CB Holly dragons would probably be miffed if their rare dragons were suddenly dime a dozen. If you want an event dragon, you can catch or trade for a nice lineaged one. It's the same sprite. Being able to buy them freely would also result in all of those auto-abandoned eggs sitting there dying because nobody will want to or be able to pick them up. Any sort of prize shop should be for a prize-shop exclusive dragon, or things currently catchable in-cave.

why should cb prize owners or cb holly owners have the right to make their dragon so special that nobody else is allowed to have a cb one too??????

lets say i take all your cb rares and replace them with messy inbred rares. you shouldnt care right because its still the same sprite

Funny about the updating thing... looking in the future, if every adoptable site was updated to match "the times", then eventually DC would grow even more unique because of its age alone. I like that idea! It also retains the players that have stuck around for forever because they like what's already here.

Death:

I am fine with this feature (could you call death a feature?). As said before, it adds a challenge and a risk to DC that makes you want to return to your scroll to check on things. I do see a problem with the disconnect of grabbing eggs and not knowing how to raise them; when I first joined I was completely confused on how to raise my dragons. Luckily I checked the help section and found some fan sites in time to hatch them before they died, but I do think some kind of in-game hatchery would be nice, just so new users aren't completely in the dark at first. A nursery like on ToO wouldn't hurt, as long as it was implemented properly so it didn't bog down the site for people already experiencing lag.

The user-activated timer doesn't seem like a bad idea... but how would it work? Does one have to log in every hour, to make the timer drop by an hour? I like the fact that I can just grab eggs, and regardless of their age I can put them in one hatchery, then the next day I put them in two other hatcheries and forget about them. They all grow perfectly, every time, and I don't have to worry! Instead I can divide up my attention to other sites I'm on, or do other fun things, or finish more important tasks; not checking in is a liberty.

I will say this though: I'm on Chicken Smoothie, and I find that game extremely boring. It's probably because I don't use the forums there, which is where most of the activity is; I log in once every month, maybe twice to check for holiday releases, grab two of each pet and leave. While it's also nice that CS is relaxed, it's also too relaxed, and I need to find reasons to visit the site whereas with DC, I always have death as the reason to visit: "I need to check up on my eggs" works every time! Death as a feature encourages players to return now and then.

Shop:

Still supportive of this! I have put plenty of thought into the redistribution of rare CBs, Prizes especially, and I've decided that it wouldn't hurt at all to have them available in the shop even though I was worried prior (in another thread) about them being devalued. As long as everything is priced right, it's fine, and the point-collection discussed in the Trader's Canyon thread seems to be the perfect way to go about it. Having a shop would also give another goal for users to work toward, which boosts activity on DC, and the potential of having shiny CB dragons will attract more new users.

Adult Dragon Trading:

I was neutral on this before; I don't see how this could or could not be beneficial if it was or was not implemented. Personally I don't care; as long as every dragon could be obtained, adult trading isn't necessary. There were some points brought up along the thread though pointing out some flaws in the idea, and while I'm still neutral I think I'm leaning toward "no" on this one, just because I don't have a good reason to say "yes". The best thing I could think of for this is similar to nest renting in Flight Rising: you send a breedable dragon to another user, who breeds that dragon with a dragon he has for a desired egg so that you have a desired lineage. The flip side of this coin is that many users with desirable dragons (such as CB Prizes or Spriter's Alts) will be haggled a lot more to start people's breeding projects with their special dragons, as opposed to their special dragons' progeny. This would prompt changes to Teleport to allow users to send and receive dragons more efficiently or more at once, which we don't need right now.

Not Engaging:

Ties in with my thoughts on death, but I have something else to add here: having the holiday minigames available, whether seasonally or year-round, would be awesome as long as they weren't essential to reach certain goals within the game (such as earning a dragon or obtaining a badge). So basically they just hang around for fun! The game mechanics would still function as normal, except games like Contagion would affect only your scroll (or to tie the community in, it could be like Flight Rising dominance, where the users "battle" each week/month/whatever, and once the game's rollover shows up all scrolls are affected; problem with this is that it will affect ALL scrolls, which probably isn't desired). There was a link somewhere for Valkemarian Tales, the 2015 Christmas minigame, so thankfully that's at least available. Doesn't stop me from yearning for the other minigames though. Concerning eggs or treats from the Halloween/Easter events, they could remain seasonal, and once you collected all of the little trophies for that year's event, if you had none of the trophies from events prior the game would continue spawning them from increasingly older and older years, lengthening the goals for those events. So in short, if minigames are to be added I would prefer that old holiday events were made available, especially since those games are already designed to not force user participation and are fully developed. I definitely never want minigames or events like Flight Rising though... I attest to Toodle's comment about hoarding money for stuff I want or fear I would want later when it's too late to buy it for cheap. If FR's holiday items were cycled instead of retired each time, I wouldn't have 400,000+ treasure sitting around in my vault just so I could buy the skins! Treasure grinding eats up time, and I don't want DC to become another time-eater.

Cave Blockers:

Still not keen on the idea of kicking cave blockers to the AP; I reason that if tons of Mints, for example, blocked the cave and were eventually kicked, then after a few days a wall of Mints would show up in the AP, which is as disruptive to AP cleaners as it was to Cave hunters. Then again, there are blocker collectors out there, so eventually our "wall of Mints" would go away, but it would still be an annoyance. But if deleting old AP blockers was introduced, then tons of Mints would disappear in an instant, which would frustrate collectors of them who want armies of Mints (keep in mind I'm using Mints as an example here; I actually see Ridgewings blocking the AP more than them...). So no to deleting old/constantly abandoned eggs, especially since death kills eggs that are too old anyway.

The limits I'm iffy on... removing the hatchling limits would be fine, in my opinion. I would like to keep the egg limits simply because they prolong gameplay though, and force people to prioritize their catches. A Platinum/Mithril trophy or extra egg slots reserved for the Cave and the AP respectively would be just fine with me though!

Edited by skwerl56767

As with most of the other posters, I'm *VERY* much against most of what you have proposed.

The shop is a very nice idea and I have and will always support that.

Why exactly do you *want* DC to be more like pet sites? If you want pet sites, stick to pet sites. DC is not and hopefully will never be like regular pet sites. DC is a collecting game, and while it's not perfect it has a formula that has worked *very* well for the last 10 years. There are still plenty of newbies coming in, as evidenced by this forum, and tons of long-timers who love the game for what it is, not for what it could become.

DragonCave is based around a fairly simple formula: You catch eggs. You have seven days to hatch those eggs, and seven more to turn them into adults. When they are adults you can describe them, name them, breed them, show them off. I do *not* want the core of DC to change, either by trading for adults (why would anyone raise eggs in the first place if they could get adults with no work whatsoever?) or taking away the timer. No thank you.

No support. DC doesn't need a massive formula change. It's fine the way it is - special the way it is, even. I do not want to watch it change into a more... generic format out of some desire to modernize.

I like the shop idea, but nothing else you've suggested is something I'd want to see on DC. Especially making it more forgiving in terms of death. It's a simple staple of the site's mechanics. Seriously, it's not hard to keep your eggs alive. If you can't bother to come online for an entire week, then your eggs die. It's as simple as that. Your proposed timeout could be exploited to keep holiday eggs alive months from their holiday and used as trading fodder... if you don't log in. Which means that alone would create an influx of users multi-accounting, and just generally screws up the idea of how holidays work. (I'm not opposed to holidays being obtained outside of their season via the store, but this kind of exploit is tailor-made for the purpose of grabbing a bunch of eggs and storing them for a few months, encouraging users to break the rules in the process.)

As for cave blockers, the biomes already solved that issue in my eyes. Rollover every five minutes, total refresh on the hour. Tada, boom, done. You were here for how things were before - I'm surprised you'd still consider it an issue. Eggs can't all be rares.

Seriously, it's not hard to keep your eggs alive. If you can't bother to come online for an entire week, then your eggs die. It's as simple as that. Your proposed timeout could be exploited to keep holiday eggs alive months from their holiday and used as trading fodder... if you don't log in.

It *would* be hard to keep eggs alive in context of stuff like being in the hospital, like the op mentions.

The op also talks about restrictions on trading eggs that are older than a certain time limit.

I do not like the idea of removing egg/hatchling death. Like others have said, it is one of the few 'challenges' of DC anyway-- removing it feels, to me, like less of a reason to engage with your scroll and what's growing on it. And it would make creating ND's uh... harder. Because it would be basically impossible with how they currently work.

And rollover makes me concerned for multi-scrolling, or keeping holidays or other rare dragon eggs (prize eggs ever?) around for a really long time past their actual holiday or distribution time. That would just be... odd.

Adult dragon trading... no. I don't think this is necessary at all. Besides, that also kind of kills the use of certain BSAs, like Stun-- why would you need to add extra time to a hatchling if you could just trade the adult later anyway? That would make that BSA completely pointless, aside from to add an extra day to the timer (though it still couldn't gain views for two days). And if you pair that with "No Death," that takes all the usefulness away from that BSA in particular.

As for mini-games... I wouldn't mind seeing them in some fashion, so long as it was something completely optional that didn't necessarily tie directly into dragon collecting-- there are many people who play the game simply to pass some time, and to collect some dragons, and to add unnecessary things to that would hamper the game experience for them.

For people like myself, and I'm sure others, something like a 'battle arena' could be fun, but even then I would want something like that to not be tied to actually like... needing things to raise dragons or to get a bunch of stuff. I honestly hated that part of Flight Rising-- I joined it to have some cool dragons, and the battle arena is cool and all, but my God, the grind is awful... and this is coming from someone that usually finds level grinding or material grinding in RPGs enjoyable.

A lot of work does go into events, and it would be nice to see minigames (some have said mana alchemy for example) as a thing people could access outside of just the time of that event. Currently the only one that's like that, is Valkemarian Tales, but that's on its own site, and isn't quite the same as playing a chill game of mana alchemy or Contagion or something. :U

I never really liked the idea of a store, but a lot of people like it, so if it's added, I wouldn't really... complain. There are a lot of nice things that could be made available via an in-game store, so I can see the positives of it, and it seems to have overall positive feedback from those of us that play the game and also use the forums.

I don't quite get why blockers need to change. There's already a lot done for it (biomes, 5 minute intervals for shuffling eggs, new eggs every hour...). So this point I don't agree with, either.

... Uh, well, anyway-- I guess there are some things that DC could do to "up its game," or whatever, but I don't necessarily agree with all the points you've made here in the thread thus far. The only ones I wouldn't mind seeing are some minigames made available, and a store (for the benefit of others). I like DC's core game as it currently is (it's one of the reasons I've stuck around on this site and literally no other adoptable site), and though I think there are some things that could be done to add to and improve it, I do not think changes to core features need to be changed as drastically as you've proposed here.

Oh boy, that was quite a lot.

Let's start with the lack of change. Not sure if you noticed but any change, even if small, is followed by forum outrage and potential Internet riot. The vocal minority around here does not like changes. Pretend that you are TJ. Change can be expensive, think about coding time, maybe even bandwidth-heavy. You get the vocal ones opposing it, why would you bother? I would not. People still keep joining the site and, I assume, providing revenue. Why change a model that works?

Eggs die, hatchlings do too. I'm quite peeved at death-by-view-bombing because it can be very fast and sometimes people sleep. Work. Eat. Go out with friends. But potential death ensures that users show up/log on and take care of their growing things. Unless a view bomber killed them in the meantime. But that's a different subject.

Shop, store. I'm so sick and tired of reading that invoked by the relative fans on every non-related suggestion (e.g.:"add 3 blue-cheese olives to your dry martini", response: "oh nooo support the store instead") that I'm skipping this.

Trading adults. I'm could not care less, whatever rocks your boat. Or TJ's.

Something else to do while waiting for those eggs/hatchlings to hatch/grow. I'm a proponent of mini-games available all year, so I'm ok with that.

Undesirable eggs in the AP. I get quite annoyed by walls of mass-bred awful stuff. But sooner or later, some good Samaritan will waste their Reds to hatch those things and/or some other good Samaritan will waste their slots to pick up those things. Just go for a walk, read a book, drink a dirty martini with three blue cheese olives and call that dinner, have a nap.

It *would* be hard to keep eggs alive in context of stuff like being in the hospital, like the op mentions.

The op also talks about restrictions on trading eggs that are older than a certain time limit.

But if they're in the hospital that's only one set of eggs lost. And that's assuming that they didn't immediately put the egg into a low pressure fansite like Silvi's that would take care of it. If you have time to catch the egg, you have time to put it in a safe fansite if you're really worried about it dying.

Okay, reading comprehension fail on my part, but I'm still convinced this is a solution to a problem that isn't a problem. The only time death is a problem and not just you not being bothered to play the game at all (in which, why should you deserve to raise dragons if you can't be bothered to visit the site) is when newbies don't know what to do with their dragons, what hatcheries are and where to find them, et cetera. And that's not a problem that a 'eggs only time down when you log in' will solve, because newbies that haven't just immediately forgotten the site exists will keep coming back in an attempt to raise their dragons. Now, newbies not being directed to hatcheries? If they read the 'help' section, it's right there. It's still a problem, because we still get plenty of confused newbies, but removing death is removing a core mechanic of the game.

The fansites keep themselves afloat, in terms of necessary views, because Dragon Cave persists. They feed themselves. And forum communities on the scale that would keep your dragons alive do exist. Of the forums I hang out on on the internet (and I am not a particularly social person), two have enough traffic to hatch eggs were I to put them in my signature, and one wouldn't have quite enough traffic, but would contribute a good chunk.

And how is it hard to keep eggs alive in the context of removing death?

Eggs die, hatchlings do too. I'm quite peeved at death-by-view-bombing because it can be very fast and sometimes people sleep. Work. Eat. Go out with friends. But potential death ensures that users show up/log on and take care of their growing things. Unless a view bomber killed them in the meantime. But that's a different subject.

Honestly the fact that an egg/hatchling can die from getting too many views is what I really don't like about the death system. If I could just put eggs into a fansite as soon as I get them and not ever have to worry about it, then I'd have no issue. But as it is it means I have to be around and keep an eye on things frequently or they die. Not to mention TJ /can/ make things immune to it. He does that for his own eggs.

And people keep mentioning 'low-pressure' fansites. I honestly was not even aware these things exist. What makes them special?

Okay, I have to make a statement about the whole eggs dying because they're not getting enough views and you're too busy to keep up with DC (or you know you're going to be too busy prior to being busy) I remember a thread where you could go to and have someone watch your scroll for you. Granted that doesn't mean give us your scroll name and password for it, but it means you'd have people who have time on their hands to keep an eye on your eggs and make sure they won't die. The name of the thread? The Scroll Sitters if I remember correctly.

Honestly the fact that an egg/hatchling can die from getting too many views is what I really don't like about the death system. If I could just put eggs into a fansite as soon as I get them and not ever have to worry about it, then I'd have no issue. But as it is it means I have to be around and keep an eye on things frequently or they die. Not to mention TJ /can/ make things immune to it. He does that for his own eggs.

And people keep mentioning 'low-pressure' fansites. I honestly was not even aware these things exist. What makes them special?

He does it for his own eggs because if he didn't they would either die very quickly from EVERYONE wanting to see the new release, or be hidden to keep them from getting sick. Instead he puts them out for everyone to see.

Also, getting sick eggs means you're putting things in hatcheries RIGHT as you catch them...wait until they get to around 5 days and 15h and add to 1-2 fansites and they won't get sick. If they do get sick, you have a chance to fog them and hopefully the sickness will go away.

I've had a lot of sickness problems before (had two eggs die on me from sickness :c) but I just stopped adding things to hatcheries when I first grabbed them and waited a day then added to AoND and eatw. Even if they do get sick, they won't die if you fog them to prevent them from getting sicker.

The name of the thread? The Scroll Sitters if I remember correctly.

I'm aware of that, but more or less talking about people who lose access unexpectedly, so they wouldn't be able to take that kind of precaution.

That's why IF we get any sort of side game at all, the game rewards should only benefit that same side game.  Like a battle system that only give items that buff your dragons for the battle system.  The people who play get rewards that help them play, the rest can ignore it without missing out on a single thing.

Because I definitely agree that adding a game that you feel forced to play because it gives some benefit to the main game of catching and raising dragons is a bad thing.  The closest to that that I've supported would be the store idea of having minigames that would allow you to earn the potions and other cool side items.  But that would ideally be combined with any extra dragon raising points that were above and beyond the cap would go to the minigame cap, so that people could still earn those cool items by raising dragons if they hate griding minigames.

No quests, no battle areas, nothing that REQUIRES me staying here real-time! If I feel like playing additional stuff, I go and do play other stuff - I don't need to limit myself to DC, and neither do you.

I actually like the fact that DC does not require real-time attention, besides whatever little is needed to add my stuff to fansites. I can spend more time here if I want, be it for trading, looking for codes or other special things, or lineages and breeding - but none of that is actually required, and I like it that way. Quests and battle areas would completely change that - PLEASE NO!

I agree strongly with the above on mini-games and any other sorts of grinding required gameplay. DC is the only game I play now and even then I have quit in the past because it was simply too time consuming to catch rares. Introducing this feature would make it exactly like every other game out there, and alienate at least some part of the user base unless it was implemented as PKFan suggested in providing rewards only useful in the games themselves.

Also, getting sick eggs means you're putting things in hatcheries RIGHT as you catch them...wait until they get to around 5 days and 15h and add to 1-2 fansites and they won't get sick. If they do get sick, you have a chance to fog them and hopefully the sickness will go away.

I've had a lot of sickness problems before (had two eggs die on me from sickness :c) but I just stopped adding things to hatcheries when I first grabbed them and waited a day then added to AoND and eatw. Even if they do get sick, they won't die if you fog them to prevent them from getting sicker.

There's some misunderstanding here. Getting sick eggs, or worse, dead eggs, often has nothing to do with the owners putting them anywhere. It has a lot to do with view-bombing by someone else. Based on posts I read and on the experience of friends, some of those view-bombers are able to generate thousands of views within a short interval of time without using the hatcheries.. Not only. Even if you did fog your eggs as soon as they were caught and unfog them with 4d or less left, the viewbomber can attack and kill the hatchling with the same mechanism.