Sylvexi

Mass Wiping Dragon Names

I'm pretty new to forums and that stuff, but I have at least 200 dragons that are named, but over the year, I've been thinking of just wiping off every name and leaving them nameless, but having over 200 dragons to manually wipe their name is kind of exhausting, so maybe a function like a mass wiping button would help?

I suspect that most people wouldn't use it, but I don't see any harm. Just as long as it's put somewhere and with enough confirmations that nobody can trigger it accidentally.

The question would be, would enough people use it to make it worthwhile to add as a feature?

I'm a little skittish of any mass delete function for anything because it makes it so much easier for anyone who stumbles into your scroll--maliciously OR accidentally--to wreck your stuff.

If there were a lot of safeguards I wouldn't mind, though (maybe an email is sent you need to confirm with, some type of time delay during which you can cancel it, or even an ability to restore wiped names for up to a few months after...?)

The ability to restore the names would require that they not be released to the public immediately, but instead be saved somehow, with the site remembering what dragon they used to belong to. I think that's a really neat safety feature, but perhaps a bit complicated to add. A confirmation email is probably the best bet. It would require you to be thoroughly compromised for someone to manage to wipe your names.

The ability to restore the names would require that they not be released to the public immediately, but instead be saved somehow, with the site remembering what dragon they used to belong to. I think that's a really neat safety feature, but perhaps a bit complicated to add. A confirmation email is probably the best bet. It would require you to be thoroughly compromised for someone to manage to wipe your names.

Hopefully it could use a mechanic similar to names from dead scrolls not being stealable for x amount of time... although this time period would be considerably shorter xd.png

I do like the email confirmation idea too, but rather than people having their emails stolen I'm more worried about the poor suckers who might not have access to old email accounts anymore. Seen a handful of people post such issues over the years, so it would be rare, but still.

Not having access to an email you used to sign up for a site isn't good, but in this case all it would do is prevent you from being able to wipe all the names on your scroll. The confirmation system wouldn't allow you to finish wiping the name without the confirmation. That's no fun for the person who doesn't have the email anymore and wants to wipe names, but not the end of the world.

It seems like holding wiped names would be rather a different system than not allowing names to be stolen until the user has been inactive for a certain amount of time. The name would have to be removed from the "name" field of the database (because the dragon is unnamed and can be named something else) and moved to a new "wiped name" field, with a time attached when the name will be cleared from there and made available to someone else. Or something similar.

I'd love this, honestly. But maybe have more of a checkbox-type selection than just completely wiping it. There are some names I DO wanna keep. But there are also a lot of names I don't particularly want - maybe 2,000 out of my 3,800 dragons have yucky "I was young and stupid" names. Right now I rename about 20 at a time but then I get discouraged and stop, lol.

If I had to write down every name I wanted to keep, then reapply it to certain dragons, that'd be a hassle as well.

So:

... I'm in favor of a checkbox-type selection. (Maybe INCLUDE a "Select All" for those who want to COMPLETELY wipe their names?)

... NOT in favor of a name wiping system that only works on your whole scroll.

This seems like quite a functional suggestion. I have changed my naming scheme several times, having to wipe out or change most, if not every single one of my 500+ dragons' names manually. I hope this can be implemented, although I can understand that not everybody will find this necessary.