The Holly Contest

Holly Contest 2017 poll

Which dragon should be collected in 2017?  

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey everyone! Please vote for what we should collect in 2017! smile.gif

If you're not going to compete, please still feel free to vote for what blocker you'd like to see less of. smile.gif

Also looking for feedback on implementing a minimum for dragons collected. We were thinking somewhere around 40-45. This is less than one per week.

Should it be lowered? To what?

Should we not have it at all?

If you donate to the contest, please say so in your post about this, because we are extra interested in your opinions for this. smile.gif

Also - This year there were many dragons that were left unclaimed. What should we do about the extras?

Should the first x amount of people get two choices? Should they just go unclaimed? Should anyone who collected over x amount of dragons get two choices?

Interested to hear feedback on this, again especially from donators.

The below are the changes we are definetly implementing. Feedback is welcome, especially if you can think of an improvement, but also they will be happening in some form.

When donators say which holly they will be donating offspring from, we will also be asking for which dragon you will mate it with. This can be strict, suggested or free choice. Here are examples:

The 2016 Holly offspring of Elena Kelly and Castiel Collins, from AppleMango!

The 2016 Holly offspring of Elena Kelly and Castiel Collins, or your choice of mate from AppleMango!

The 2016 Holly offspring of Elena Kelly and your choice of mate, from AppleMango!

We will also be having this kind of timeline for the end of the year:

November:

23rd - 30th -> Activity check donators to make sure their prizes will be available.

December:

1st -> Stop collecting.

1st - 3rd -> Total checking

4th -> First round of messages for choosing. 5 day limit. (after this if we get messages they get done as they come in.)

8th -> Second round. 5 day limit

12th -> Third round. 5 day limit

16th -> Fourth round. If needed.

20th -> Message us if you haven't gotten a message from your breeder about when you will claim your holly yet.

21st -> Message breeders with unclaimed hollies and say they aren’t needed

21st - 31st -> People may still request alternate prizes

January:

1st -> No more people can claim prizes

The dates may vary slightly but we will aim for this. Obviously the messaging breeders with unclaimed hollies may vary depending on what is decided about the unclaimed hollies. smile.gif

This poll will close on the 7th of Jan at the latest. We may close it early if we notice there hasn't been votes, or if a dragon reaches 75 votes.

If something doesn't make sense to you, please feel free to ask about it. smile.gif

These people still need their alternate prizes, putting this in so you know you aren't forgotten. smile.gif

nxtashaxt

ahreada

Edited by The Holly Contest

I voted for Olives, but any of those is a solid choice. Will be content no matter which of those wins the poll.

Someone brought up Flamingos in the old thread and before it comes up again, we did those already. tongue.gif

As far as the whole minimums/extra prizes thing, I've thought about it more and I have to say that I do disagree with having minimums, though still not strongly enough to be upset if that is what we end up doing. I just don't think it's necessary.

IMO it's not really a problem that people don't have to "earn" getting a prize because Hollies are FAR more common than they were when this contest was created. To me, the 'earning' part is getting to take your pick early,and thus getting a nice, neat-lined, low-gen Holly rather than a higher-gen common one of the sort that's easy to pick out of the AP these days. It's not just messies that are easy to get nowadays. I tossed back a LOT of Skywing, White, and Winter Hollies, because they were all the same lines.

So to me there already IS an earning component, and so there's no need to add one. It sounds like more work for the mods of the game for no real gain to me. But, again, that's just a logical analysis on my part - I don't feel strongly about it and I'm ultimately indifferent.

As far as dealing with extra prizes, IMO the best way to do it would be to have everyone get one pick as normal, but if there's prizes left over after everyone has had one pick, we should start from the top and give those who collected the most a chance to pick a second egg or to opt out, one by one until all the spares are disbursed. That way no one would get to pick two eggs before others even got one, but people could still potentially earn a second by doing well enough.

Edited by Lurhstaap

As far as dealing with extra prizes, IMO the best way to do it would be to have everyone get one pick as normal, but if there's prizes left over after everyone has had one pick, we should start from the top and give those who collected the most a chance to pick a second egg or to opt out, one by one until all the spares are disbursed. That way no one would get to pick two eggs before others even got one, but people could still potentially earn a second by doing well enough.

This is a good idea but it will make the choosing and sorting process take longer. Maybe if breeders opt-in for the second prizes, or we shorten the deadline for replies? This year most people replied in the first 24 hours anyway.

Voted!

The point about there being more hollies around is well made. I'm going to be even stricter about the lineages of the hollies I offer this year, something I'm able to do because of some really nice AP catches!

I really liked what you did this year with the leftover hollies. It was simple and, as someone who had a few hollies unclaimed I wasn't at all offended mine weren't chosen.

I do think it would be nice if after everyone has their hollies those of us with 'leftovers' could be allowed to post links on the thread if we want to gift our hollies to anyone who wants them. I wanted to do that this year but wasn't sure if it would be allowed.

Edited by Wiz

voted for coastal waverunners, though most of the choices are solid. I will only donate "good" lineages this upcoming year, as well as attempt to participate!

I like the new rules implemented as well as potentially making a minimum, though doesn't do anything for the extra donations we end up with!

I voted Canopies because they bother me very much, and I'm going to offer offspring from 3 Hollies for donation. Do I just PM the contest account with the text?

In my opinion, if you already have leftovers anyway, an entry threshold isn't really needed. Every little dragon counts, right?

i voted for black tips cuz i already have a ton of the waverunners, canopies and mints. not sure i will collect more of those.

Edited by spring_dragon

Anything but Drakes works for me - I never see many of those, of any species.

I do think there should be a minimum number collected - perhaps 50 is sensible?

I do donate at least one Holly to the contest every year, ever since I've had Holly offspring to offer smile.gif

Edited by Wahya

i can donate 2 4th gen hollies from frill and aria for this. i voted for canopies but any of those choices would be good

Voted Olives because it's annoying how there's almost always one in the forest and because I already hoard them

However, I have to say that all of these choices are good. Blacktips, Canopies, and Greater Spotted are also problems with cave blocking too.

I voted for the Black Tips, though I almost voted for the Canopies. Either of which I'd be happy to collect, since I don't have very many of them yet.

I'll also be donating a few of my Hollies' offspring this year. I was able to catch a couple really cool ones. biggrin.gif

if a minimum must be put in I vote 10 because even if they only found this in the last week of collecting, getting 10 is doable (with work) and shows they put in some effort

as to having more hollies than people I vote the top 5 or 10 people who put in the most work get to pick 2 Hollies as their prize with the rest getting 1 holly each and donators getting to do whatever with their left-overs (I normally breed mine to the AP)

I don't know if ill be hoarding this year but I will be donating the usual hollies along with some new ones I managed to get

Olives or Mints - but since I could only choose one poll option, I went with Olives. Both are super, super underappreciated. Olives more so. I love Olives. I'd collect the crap outta 'em. But I chose them mostly because I would love to see a very underappreciated breed being made the center of attention.

The only breed up there I disagree with being on the poll is the Coastal Waverunner. They have hybrids now, which makes collecting them a bit more complicated.

Voted for Canopies! But my second pick would certainly be Mints. This was a tough vote this year.

I chose canopy. They're one of the easier ones to put into a lineage project (imo).

I don't think there should be a minimum amount.

The shorter lineage or nicer lineage is already incentive for collecting more.

I wouldn't want someone who discovered the game a bit late or if they don't have time to check the game as often to feel as though they didn't have a shot.

---

I started collecting storms super late, but I didn't feel rushed bc there wasn't a minimum. It was a nice leisurely thing that I did in between working on my lineages.

I chose Olives, because I know I don't collect them, but would for this contest. It would be a great choice I think.

As for minimums, no thanks... I like that everyone is included, even those late to the game.

I'm hoping to breed for this this year, since I have one Holly with an unusual but easily added to lineage. I have a second one, but a mate might be tricky there.

So far as the unclaimed prizes go, I don't really mind it, but I also wouldn't mind going around again to continue gifting eggs until all the prizes have been claimed.

Hey guys. smile.gif Thanks for the feedback.

First I just want to be sure everyone knows that you're allowed to start collecting already. You don't have to wait until the dragon is chosen, just hope you start collecting the right one tongue.gif

Also, the point of people finding the contest later in the year is a good one. What if we had a minimum, but it went down each month, or every few months. So if you joined in January, the minimum was 30, then in April it went down to 25, or something like that?

as much as i would prefer most of the dragons on the list over mints appearance wise, i just realized only mints appear in all biomes.... which makes them the easiest candidate to collect i guess......

Yeah, I think the idea of a decreasing minimum is a good one as well.

Hey guys. I've noticed there's not many votes yet. Does anyone want to extend the deadline, or does everyone just want to get started? Also interested in more feedback on a minimum that decreases over the year, and what to do with the left over hollies.

I voted for Olives. I have not seen any mints in the cave, but I have seen several Olives. I like the idea of a decreased minimum that goes down every month.

As for the leftover hollies, once every gift has been given, maybe those who won (say the top 10-15) be given the option for a second holly, and after that, pass them on down the line, depending on how many extra are left.

I voted for Olives.  I have not seen any mints in the cave, but I have seen several Olives.  I like the idea of a decreased minimum that goes down every month.

As for the leftover hollies, once every gift has been given, maybe those who won (say the top 10-15) be given the option for a second holly, and after that, pass them on down the line, depending on how many extra are left.

I like this idea! btw i want to get started (im surprised mints are winning though it is very close)

Edited by Zerhai

Although I wouldn't mind getting started, I don't mind seeking more votes either.