SkySong278

A Knight's Story

"She got your measurements from your sister, so it should fit you well. Speaking of, when will I meet your mum and sister? We should let them know you recovered and a cure was discovered." He stood up to go change into something to travel in, took three steps and collapsed. "Probably better when I get my stamina back though..." 

------

"I guess I'll have to remember those flowers. I'm usually no good at names of flowers but roses are very identifiable. Cosmos are... A bright purple daisy like flower and the hydran-knee what's are a ball of miny flowers correct?" He asked tilting his head. "Botony was never my favorite subject in school. Flowers are all the same really- pretty in their own way and have a smell, weather it's a good smell or a bad smell, it still has a smell. My real passion is for gemstones, semi-precious and precious stones. I collect them. Now my horse I named Captain, I was little when I named him and the stable hand heard Captain instead of Apatite, a semi-precious stone. I have another one, a black and tan brindle stallion I call Tiger, as in tiger's eye. He's my jousting horse."

------

Rayna sniffed and let go helping them to their feet. "Mum... You lost weight." Zane said softly tugging at the looseness of his mother's dress that was usually tailored so well to herself. "Fasting during prayers dose that dear. I'll gain it back, now I have my beloved son and precious daughter back I'm going to open my shop again. I got a lot of work done on your wedding outfits and on the bridal party's attire too. The invitations where set and the venue you two picked is booked for the date. I had to keep my hands busy. You know what they say about hands being idle. Now come in please, sit down. You both lost weight too. " Rayna said as she began to fuss about the shop. 

“Okay. While you and Zane are chaperoning Prince Edward and Lady Alivia’s beach date, I’ll go and try it on. Either after you’re fully recovered from this state or after you’re back from the beach,” Cody said in reply before looking a bit concerned when Avery collapsed after taking three steps. He went over to him and helped him up while listening to what he said while doing so. “That’s a good idea.”

~•~°~•~

“Oh um okay. If you want. Yes they are and that’s right about cosmos but they can also be other colors other than purple. My favorite are the chocolate ones. Hydrangeas can be purple but they’re mostly white and can also be blue. I think they turn the purple and blue colors from the acidity in the soil. I read that in a book awhile back when I was learning about flowers. What you said they look like is correct,” she said in reply to his first few statements and questions before hearing the rest of what he said. “Ah and some are the same but others are different in shape. That’s right. Speaking of, I don’t like the paper white smell very much because it reminds me of dirty diapers. I think those are Bradford Pear flowers. Really? Do you have a collection of them? If so, I’d like to see them sometime. I like that name for a horse. It’s very unique. May I meet them sometime?”

~*~•~*~

Alex stood back up when Rayna helped both her and Zane back up from being on the floor before hearing their conversation afterward. “I’m glad to hear that about both you gaining the weight back and for opening the shop again. I’ll be coming in for my fittings while Zane and Ave are chaperoning Prince Edward and Lady Alivia’s beach date in a couple of weeks if that’s okay,” she said in reply before helping her around the building. “I didn’t really have much of an appetite while being sick myself and while worrying about Zane.”

Edited by SkySong278

"probably back from the beach.  That's in a couple weeks. " He said as his feet scrambled for a footing. "They should be recovered by then."

--

"Absolutely. One of them is here. Captain!" He whistles. The horse trotted over to them and snorted. "This is Captain."

------

"Let's fix you both something to eat. "She said heading to the kitchen and started to make them a Spanish rice dish.

“Okay and I hope they’ll be fully recovered by then as well as you,” he said in reply while helping him get good footing.

~•~°~•~

She nodded and then watched as his main horse came over to them after he had called and whistled for him. “Hi Captain. You’re beautiful,” she said to the horse with a smile before rubbing his forehead.

~*~•~*~

“Sounds wonderful. I’m beginning to get a bit hungry,” she said in reply before following her to the kitchen. Her stomach growled a bit when she smelled the rice cooking and blushed somewhat out of embarrassment.

Edited by SkySong278

"Yeah I do too." He managed to find his footing and looked up at Cody flushing pink. He then kissed his chin. "You need a shave. Your beard is growing in. " He said and leaned against his chest. "I can't thank you enough for being with me..."

-----

The horse blinked and swished his tail, closing his eyes as she scratches him. "Seems like she found your sweet spot.  " He smiled as the horse's head drooped. "If you run in a circle between his eyes long enough he'll fall asleep."

---

Rayna glanced over and smiled patting her cheek. "Good to know you enjoy my cooking. Hope you like spicy food, you're marrying a Spaniard. If it's not spicy, it's not food." She giggled and nice the rice with bits of meat, peas and carrots, some sauce and some spices then dishes out big helpings in bowls. She set them on the table for them both and helped herself to a serving. 

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

Cody smiled and held him close when he felt the kiss against his chin but then blushed a bit when he heard what he said about a beard growing in. “Oh um thanks. I’ll do it later. I’ll always be with you for as long as you’d like me to be,” he said in reply before holding him a bit closer.

~•~°~•~

Alivia smiled a bit when she saw how Captain reacted to her attention to him before hearing what he said regarding how he’d react if she touched him in a certain way. “Good to know and maybe at a later time. Anyway should we head back now? It might not be a good idea to not overexert ourselves especially after we haven’t been fully recovered from being sick yet,” she asked and said as a suggestion as she turned her attention to be back on him from being on his horse.

~*~•~*~

Alex smiled at Rayna when she heard everything she said before saying in reply, “Yes I love spicy food actually and Zane has made some spicy food for me before. He’s an awesome cook.” She nodded in thanks when she brought over some bowls for them and started to eat some of the Spanish rice afterward.

Edited by SkySong278

"hmm, maybe you should grow it out, you may look handsome with a little facial hair. I'd always want you near me." He said softly. Once he found his footing he stood up and ran his fingers through his purple hair. "Now that the kingdom is cured, the dragonlings are safe and chaos had died down things are finally turning around for the better. We narrowly avoided a war, survived a plague and I'm finally graduation to the next stage of my training after sis's wedding. "

-------

Captain snorted at the sudden loss of attention and turned to lazily graze along the fence. "Good idea. Maybe get some soft food in us to help recover our strength faster." He said leaning heavily on his sword as he turned to head back to the house slowly.

--------

Zane blushed at Alex's comment about his cooking. "He gets it from his mother. He does add his own flair to old family recipes." She said and set plates of rice down for them and started to eat. Zane nibbled on his, not entirely hungry although he couldn't tell if it was just his stomach recovering from the illness or butterflies fluttering around because his soon to be wife loves his cooking. 

Cody’s blush darkened a bit more when he heard what Ave said in regards to if he grew it out a bit more it would make him look handsome before hearing the rest of what he said. “That it has and I can’t wait for both Zane and Alex’s wedding and your graduation,” he said in reply before asking, “Where next?”

~•~°~•~

She smiled at Captain and patted him a bit on the flank before he lazily grazed the grass on his side of the fence and also before hearing what Edward said. “Okay and that’s also a good idea,” she said before using her cane to catch up to him and when she did she walked at his side.

~*~•~*~

“I’ve always liked your cooking love ever since the first time you cooked for me which was when I got stabbed while protecting the queen,” Alex said when she noticed him blush before hearing everything Rayna said. “You’re both really good cooks,” she said after swallowing the first bite of the rice that she made for them before eating a few other bites afterward.

Edited by SkySong278

"What do you mean? I'm thinking about studying potions, and I can higher you as a guard to protect me as I travel for ingredients. " He said laying down on his bed. " I'm to weak to do anything else today. That took a lot out of me."

------

He  helped her back to her bedroom and let her order food only asking for water and some soup and bread for himself, a humble meal but he didn't think he can stomach something any fancier than a plan simple pea soup. 

------

Zane scratched his neck. "I only made you sandwiches and a couple other dishes for breakfast and things... " Rayna smiled. "You're just being humble. If you can't take a complement I will. My son learned from me and the cook. My ex husband was many awful things however his sense of taste was impeccable. Unfortunately Zane can't taste most of what he makes since he was eight years old when the... Incident happened. " She said.

Zane started eating more not wanting to talk about his dad.

“Sounds like a plan and I can do that no problem,” he said in reply before hearing everything else Ave said as he laid down. “Oh okay. Maybe if you get a bit more energy later after laying down we can go on a very small and short walk.”

~•~°~•~

She thanked him when they got back to her room and got back onto her bed before ordering some chicken soup and crackers from a maid that came when they came back. The maid nodded when she heard their food orders before heading to the kitchen to get their requests in.
“So are you going to stay here for the night or are you going to go back?” she asked curiously after the maid had left and she was leaning back against her pillows.

~*~•~*~

“Those were all still really good. You’re a great cook,” Alex said in reply to his trailed off statement before hearing everything his mom said afterward. “I heard about that and it’s very sad that it happened. He started teaching me how to cook so that I can make him something as well if he’s training at the castle really late,” she said before continuing to eat her food until it was all gone.

Edited by SkySong278

((sure and okay))

A couple weeks or so later, Alex was at her and Zane‘s house taking care of Bunny while Zane was at the beach with Avery, Prince Edward, and Lady Alivia. She missed him already but she would wait until it was just a couple of days before she would write him a letter to see how they were doing. She sighed a bit before leaving to go on a small walk around their street.

~~>•<~~

Cody was currently reading on the couch after helping Patricia organize her stuff. He was also thinking of possibly taking Chestnut for a ride but he’d do that a bit later after finishing reading a few more pages in his book.

~•~°~•~

Alivia was at Edward‘s family’s beach house for their date. She had arrived there with Avery on her horse, who was currently in the barn, and she was now currently unpacking her clothes in the room that she was going to stay in during her stay there and couldn’t wait to walk on the beach later. She thought that they could go on a nice walk at sunset but she would suggest that idea to Avery when she saw her. After she finished unpacking, she laid on her back on the bed and looked up at the ceiling for a little while.

Edited by SkySong278

Avery arrived on Lilly with a small bag enchanted to hold many items. He got off his horse and headed inside, and went to his assigned room next to Alivia's and going inside and unpacking. He seemed surprised that it held an adjoining door so they may walk back and forth. He'd have to lock that at night so his secret didn't get out. He hung up a dress, not bothering to pack a bathing suit, and started to change into some pants and a blouse to get a little bit more comfortable. His eyes staying on the door as he was tucked beside the wardrobe in case she came in.

-----

Zane and Edward rode together. Already his heart was heavy in his chest the more distance came between him and his fiance. He was still surprised at how strong his connection was to this woman. "I never thought I'd be in a healthy and happy relationship with someone.... The old dog made it quite clear that love had nothing to do with marriage." He said softly into the silence that was between him and the Prince.

"How did you two meet anyway? You never told me. What do you mean by that friend? It's not like he was going to send you to be married to some wicked witch." Edward joked. His smile fell  once he glanced over to Zander though. 

"Feria Hendrickson, duchess of Aldonia." Zander  said flatly. "Wait what?! That ogre of a woman?! They called her the Fear of Aldonia at the private school. Any man who saw her and was lower than her station she'd-"

"Have their heads removed, yes I know. My father had arranged it when I was little. I met her twice and she was a bully like my dad. The marriage deal got cancelled the moment I got arrested and disowned. My father owed her father a life debt, which was to be paid either with gold or blood. My father was cheap so blood it was. I was just going to be married off to pay a debt. A debt in which I paid myself after his funeral plus interest. Needless to say, it barely made a dent in the family fortune. My coffers are more full then yours. And they will stay that way, unless I find a way to use it for good. It's mostly blood money. " He said flatly. 

"Oookay..... So lighter subject now. How did you meet Alex?" Edward asked changing the subject. 

A smile tugged on Zane's lips. "At the academy. She was being sent to the convent to be a lady, her sister and her got a letter from both the convent and the academy. Apparently the academy thought Avery was a boy from her name and sent her one." "I don't get it. Isn't Alex a boy's name too?" "Yes, but her full name is Alexandra. Anyway while on the way, Avery got a brilliant idea, because they where going to the academy anyway to amend the mistake- and her older sister expressed interest in the family legacy of swordplay and definitely too robust for lady etiquette lessons- she'd switch the names, cut Alex's hair and give her a chest binder to pass as a boy. Given the convent was expecting one girl, and the academy was expecting what they thought was a boy, no one would be the wiser. 

It worked well, Alex was very careful and kept her decency... Despite all the guys being guys... " He explained and the house was now in veiw. 

"Get to the point man! When did you find out 'he' was a she the whole time?" Egged Edward leaning towards Zane on his saddle. Zane smiled. "Alex broke his toe a few weeks in. I was showing her the moves she missed in private lessons when I slipped on one of the sponges we threw around the day before when it was so hot out.  I slipped and fell knocking her down too."

"That doesn't mean you could figure it out then." Edward rolled his eyes. 

"It does when I realized my hand wasn't on another sponge on the ground. A chest binder can make it look like a flat chest, but the squishyness is  still there." Zane smerked.

"Dude! You did not! What! I wouldn't peg you for the type!" Edward shouted but still clearly engrossed in his tale.

"I'm not! I was completely embarrassed about it as she was! However, the sword is only as good as it's master, it doesn't matter if the master is a male or female. She beat me on our first sparing match. It's not every day I get to meet someone on my skill level. I knew if I told, she will be kicked out. A great talent shouldn't be waisted. Not only was her skill worthy of a knighthood, but her spirit and sense of honor where on par too. I swore I would never tell a soul until she was ready to reveal herself. After that, the more in interacted with her, the more I felt something spark in me. She could defend herself, but I felt the urge to protect her. To get to know the woman she is instead of the man she was trying to be. I wanted her to know that she can be strong and be a woman.  At first I kept her identity a secret from my mom in my letters to her, but when my father exposed her and she was moved away for her protection to the other side of the castle and she couldn't eat with us anymore.... I stopped being so vailed in my letters to mother. My father knew that her family had two girls,so when he saw her family name on our rosters he knew she was an imposter. He visited the academy and challenged her to a spar. He was hurting her, and was going to expose her by slashing open her shirt, regardless of him cutting her. I saw the move on myself many times and intervened. The moment I stepped in front of her and lifted my blade against the very man who taught me to wield it.... I knew that I had fallen in love with her and I will stop at nothing to keep her safe. Afterwards I barely slept I was so worried, I was in pain because I was beaten for protecting her against my father, but it paled in comparison to the thought of her being forced to leave the castle. Even now it pains me to be away from her. The thought of losing her twists my gut and heart into so many knots I could probably work a two mast ship. " 

Alivia had fallen asleep for a bit and now woke back up and went to the main door of the room she was using, walked out of it, and then went over to the room Avery was staying in that was next to hers before knocking on it. “Do you have a minute? I’d like to suggest an idea I have for a bit later after dinner,” she asked and said shortly after she knocked.

~«•»~°~«•»~

Alex stayed there for a bit longer before going to the stables near her and Zane‘s house to hang out with Spot for a little while and give him a ride as well as some food that he liked in order to try to get her mind off of the separation she was starting to feel from being apart from Zane. She tried to ignore it but it was still there. She got up and went to the stables to see her horse and got there before saddling him and then taking him out afterward. She rode Spot for a time before taking him back to the stables, took the tack and saddle off, put them back where they belonged, and then put Spot back in his stall before giving him an apple as well as some oats. She told him that she’d be back later to take him out again before heading back to the house to take care of Bunny.

Edited by SkySong278

Avery opened the door once he was ready. "Only for a short time. The boys should be here anytime now. " He said softly and headed out to the beach in the back of the home. "Dinner would be done by the time they get here. Are you settled in nicely?" He asked stepping on the sand. 

--

Zane and Edward arrived at late noon. They set about getting settled in to their rooms. Zane walked out and joined the girls on the beach. "afternoon ladies. Are you ready for a lovely dinner tonight?"

“Okay,” Alivia said in reply before following her out to the beach that was behind the beach house to also stand in the sand. “Sounds good and yes I am. How about you?” she said and asked in reply before saying as few minutes later, “The idea I had was that maybe we can go for a walk on the beach at sunset after dinner.” When she heard Zane approach and what he said and asked as a greeting she turned her attention to being on him before saying in reply with a smile on her face, “Afternoon Sir Zane and yes. I can’t wait to see what we’ll have for dinner. I bet it’ll be delicious.”

~«•»~°~«•»~

Alex fed Bunny when she got back to the house and then played with him before taking a small nap on the couch afterward. Bunny curled up beside her and curled up into a ball against her legs, falling asleep as well and purring all the while.

Edited by SkySong278

Zane lead them back to the house where a table for two was set up on the porch with a lovely candle lit dinner of bowtie pasta, salad and bread sticks sat. Edward bowed and pulled out a chair for Alivia and Zane went inside to eat with the staff, but still in veiw of the couple. Avery followed him. 

"How's my sister doing? I take it you're still civil with her although you two are living together?" Avery questioned. 

"I can ask you the same thing by staying with my brother and probably get the same response I'd give you." Zane quipped back.

Avery flushed and huffed ripping into his bread grumbling. "Then again.... I heard mages have wild hormones and emotions... I may be wrong to assume that you haven't been chast in mind as well as in body." Zane said nonchalantly studying a bite of pasta before eating it.

Avery was absolutely scarlet and would have steam coming from his ears in embarsment. "I hate you right now." He grumbled.

Alivia smiled at Edward when he bowed towards her before pulling her chair out for her. She curtsied before sitting down and putting the napkin in her lap. “After we’re done eating would you like to walk on the beach at sunset?” she asked him before taking a bite of the pasta.

~«•»~~>•<~~«•»~

Alex woke up a bit later when she heard a knock on the door. She sat up and rubbed her eyes before going to the door and opening it to see Cody standing there.

“Hey Cody. Come in. Guessing you’re missing Ave?” she greeted him with a smile before opening the door a little wider for him to come in easier.

“Hey Alex and yes but I also wanted to come see how you were doing as well and to also see if you wanted to come riding with me and Chestnut with Spot,” Cody said in reply with his own smile before going inside afterward.

Edited by SkySong278

"I would love that. It's a lovely day and low tide is going on now. Maybe we could find some shells we'd like to keep. Maybe stargaze afterwards?" Edward said eating his pasta.

--

Zane cracked up laughing and fell from his chair. "You are so fun to tease oh my!" He laughed. He eventually calmed down and finished his meal. 

"I'll tell your horse to bite you." Avery grumbled.

"Good luck with that. Alex says he has a potty mouth and refuses to take orders. He only likes her cuz she feeds him treats. " Zane said as he slipped a cucumber in his pocket for his horse outside. 

((oops :ph34r:))

“I’m glad and that it is. I see that and that would be really nice. Maybe we can also find some sand dollars. Yes that sounds perfect,” Alivia said in reply with a smile before finishing eating her pasta and then started to eat the salad afterward.

~«•»~~>•<~~«•»~

“Oh okay and sure. I took him out already but I also did tell him that I’d be back to ride him again. Have to make up for when I was sick and couldn’t ride him at all,” Alex said in reply before closing the door behind him and then going over to the couch to sit. Bunny curled up in her lap and she petted him as he purred loudly.

Cody sat down next to her before asking, “So how are you doing?”

“I’m doing okay. Just starting to miss him and feeling the separation between us. I know it’ll only be for a couple of days but I didn’t know that I’d already start missing him this much,” she said before asking him in return, “How about you?”

“I’m okay as well and pretty much the same thing as you for the rest,” he said while also petting the cat but on the head.

Edited by SkySong278

Edward finished and when she was done held out his arm for her to walk with him on the beach, Zane and Avery following talking about wedding plans and flowers. 

Alivia finished as well and then took his offered arm before walking with him to the beach. As she did that, she heard Zane and Avery’s conversation behind them and smiled when she heard what they were talking about.

~«•»~~>•<~~«•»~

After talking a bit more, both Alex and Cody headed out of the front door. Once they were both out, she locked the door behind them and as he got Chestnut’s reins she led the way to the stables and he followed with his horse. When they got there, Cody mounted Chestnut and Alex saddled Spot and led him out of the stables before mounting him. Then they both headed to the woods where they had their horses trot for awhile before having them run and then they raced each other to a nearby hill.

Edited by SkySong278

"So Zane you tease me a lot... Are you... Like Cody?" Avery asked tilting his head.

"What do you mean?" Zane said confused.

"Do you find me attractive and Alex attractive?" Avery clarified.

"No! Nononono no.no. I'm only attracted to Alex. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just not for me. It was.... A bit of a shock when I found out about Cody but... My father absolutely hated it so of course I went against him and didn't mind it. It was a little bit odd at first however I realized that just like anyone he has a type just like everyone else. Even Edward has one, just his is more intellectual then physical. For me it's more... Prowess, confidence, strong will that I find attractive. I tease you because you're like a younger sibling, and you will be when this marriage finally happens! Ugh so much has gotten in the way I've had it with the wait! If my mom wouldn't strangle me for just walking into a church and getting married in a few minutes, I would have already said my vows already! But no! I have to wait for family members I only met once to get here from Spain, invite nearly every noble in the kingdom and make a huge deal out of it when I just want a small group of my closest friends and family with my fiance, get hitched and start the family we have been talking about having for months! I just want to be able to live under the same roof as her without our nosy neighbors asking if evey noise they hear from our windows is us 'commeting sin' in the dead of night." He huffed and kicked the sand.

--

Edward smiled at her. "It's beautiful out here. I love the sound of the waves on the beach. Oh here's a shell." 

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

Alex and Cody reached the hill and dismounted after slowing their horses, walking over to a tree that was close by and sat down while letting Chestnut and Spot graze and take a break from all the running they had done. “I’m so ready to finally be Zane‘s wife. I’ve been ready for awhile now but we have to have so many guests and get officiated in front of a lot of people,” she said with a small sigh out of the blue as she looked up at the sky through the tree’s branches.

“Zane has complained about something similar to me awhile ago. I told him that the big day will be here before you know it and you just have to continue to be patient,” he said in reply with a reassuring smile as he looked over at her briefly before also looking up at the sky.

•~•—°—•~•

“It is and I do too, especially hearing it when I’m asleep. I remember that being how I fell asleep when I was younger and we’d go to the beach on occasion for vacation. It’s very pretty,” Alivia said in reply before seeing the shell he had picked up.

Edited by SkySong278

"Give it time. Everything is nearly done. Guests are already on the way, your suit is finished and Alex only has a few more fittings left with us bridesmaids... " Avery looked at the sea. "Cody made a comment about marriage and how we'd go about it. I ment it as a hypothetical question but.... He seemed surprised when I said I ment it was hypothetical, and spoke so seriously about it... We haven't spoken about it since then. " He said softly.

"Cody takes the time to prepare and appreciate the moments. He's levelheaded about that kind of thing. He is my conscience when I get too stubborn to listen to anything else. He cares about you a lot. You have been through so much as well with the sickness and the dragon and being a mage... He's probably going to wait until everything is settled down a bit. " Zane said softly.

-- 

" I think it's a clam shell. I would like to find a conch shell. See if you can blow in it to make a horn!" He said excitedly. " Let me know when you find one."