SkySong278

A Knight's Story

“Okay and I understand. I’d like that and I’m also fine with us discussing it because it’s part of our cover,” Alex said in reply with a small blush on her cheeks when the part of them discussing their actual wedding before getting up and heading over to the horses to make sure they were ready when they departed to continue with their mission.

((okay. I can do the ts if you’d like me to :)))

Alex was back to working at the castle and protecting the queen after her and Zane’s successful quest regarding the assassins that had tried to kill the king and queen and had injured her (Alex). She and Zane had also talked about plans for what they’d like their future house to look like as well as more planning for their wedding. She was currently in her usual position of standing outside the queen’s door on the left-hand side and waiting for her charge to come out so that she could accompany her to the garden as usual while also having a conversation with her. A few minutes later, the queen emerged and they left together while another guard took her place for the moment.

They talked about if they had figured out when the wedding was yet as well as if they had a house yet that they were living in together to which she replied that they hadn’t yet to both but that continued planning for both were still underway. She’d let her know when they had a definitive date figured out as well as the house. Just as they talked about this last thing, they found themselves in the garden and at their usual seats in which both sat in while enjoying the nice weather they were having.

Edited by SkySong278

Avery now had completely golden eyes from contact with magic and as his lessons as a novice drew to a close. He was very talented with magic but also used it sparingly. After the mages gala and Alex's return to the city, Avery had found himself a quaint little space in a wearhouse neighboring his teacher's where he used spells he learned to make it habitable and comfortable. He had a soft bed, a wordrobe of lovely dresses, a vanity mirror and a bason of water that refreshes daily magically for drinking and washing up, lovely rugs and even a space for a familiar he will summon once he moved up in his apprenticeship from novice to beginner and studying healing spells among minipulating elements instead of making water come from a rock, purifying it, making sparks with his fingers, or unlocking things. 

The space also had a cornered off area in case Cody needed a place to stay near the castle or if his (Cody) father  was out of town and he got lonely. 

---

Zane was shifted from king's guard to knight commander, right under the knight general after the success of their mission. Money from his pay was carefully stowed away fro the house fund and another part for the wedding fund. He already gave her the ring, but he wanted to replace the one  she has now (that she currently wears around her neck on a necklace because it was bulky) with a different one of a simple band with engraving on it. He was currently with the King and Prince -who had returned from his schooling, inspecting the newly knighted recruits to see what station they will be good at. 

((oops I had forgotten about Cody :blush:))

Cody was still training the kids in the town that was near the one that Alex and Avery lived in but also now helped a mage friend of the latter's organize their stuff more neatly. They had a slight problem with hoarding and needed help getting rid of stuff. They had heard somewhere, a friend of his sister perhaps, that he was very neat and organized and could help with that sort of thing. He'd only do that after he was done teaching the kids and it also didn't take very long to help them organize. After he was done doing that, he'd either head back to his house or head to the warehouse Avery had now and to the space that was set up for him to stay in at times for if his dad was out of town or if he just wanted to stay somewhere close to the castle. Usually after he was done training and organizing, he was too tired to head to his own house so he'd stay at Avery's place.

---

After Alex talked a bit more with the queen in the garden they decided to go and see what the King, prince, and Zane were up to so they headed to where the knights trained to see if they were there. When they rounded the corner, they saw them right away and they separated to head to each of their loved ones. When Alex got to where Zane was but behind him because he looked a bit busy, she climbed up onto the stone wall that was there and watched him find places for the newly knighted recruits. When they had been on their way to where they were now, they had been talking about placing her somewhere else as a reward for her doing so well on the mission that she had gone on with Zane but she had turned it down for now while saying that she was really fine where she was but would think about it all the same and then get back to her. She had briefly thought about possibly training the new recruits that came in but wasn't sure how they'd handle being trained by a woman. She let out a small sigh as she sat there, deep in thought while watching her love still working.

Avery was in his warehouse at his desk pouring over scrolls and texts about different familiars and the effects on magic. He had narrowed it down to three. A grey wolf that helped with defensive and attack magic, a falcon that helped boost charms and spells in general, and a small albino mouse that was for potions, alchemy and healing spells. Each one had a element bound to it, wolf is fire, falcon air and mouse earth. Now, he could and would be proficient and capable of all of these magics including water that would be the last element learned, however at the moment he can only focus on a particular sect of the vast majority of magic. So he made several lists to determine the pros and cons of each familiar along with magic type. 

He threw down his quill in frustration still unable to decide. He let his long hair down, got up and stomped over to a small heater, lighting it with a spark from his fingers and set about making tea to calm his growing ire at his inability to make a decision. 

-----

Zane scrutinized each one and spoke freely and snarled at a few for small reasons- not polishing their armor bright enough, not wearing the right size belt and helmet, sword to big/small for someone of that size etc. Zane stepped into his role as knight commander easily, the position was once belonging to his father before he retired with high honors, but that was before Alex being knighted and the evidence of child abuse bribery and corruption caused him to be stripped of his knighthood and thrown in jail for his heinous crimes. Zane boasted the scars he once had been ashamed of. The green newbies where always hesitant about speaking up or second guessing their employment not knowing the story behind the savage stripes that raked across his back, chest and arms still believing it came from intense battles or something. 

Right now Zane had on a tunic with the sleeves removed, a red vest and his hair in his trademark just-rolled-out-from-bed look. The Prince was only a little older than Zane, lovely chestnut colored locks like his mom, and grey eyes like his dad. Between the three, the king was tallest, Zane second and the Prince- Edward - third. He wore the regal outfit of soft browns and yellows whilst the king wore a casual outfit, at least as casual one could get while looking kingly.  Edward and the king smiled at the two then watched Zane with interest as he berated a newly knighted squire for having on his ceremonial armor on instead of his battle armor. 

After Cody was done training his group for the day, he decided to head to Avery’s place because it was closer than his own house. On the way there, he stopped at a vendor selling flowers and bought a small bouquet before arriving at the warehouse soon after. “Avery love?” he called shortly after getting inside before hearing the sound of a quill being thrown down nearby and went to investigate.

“Everything okay?” he asked as he came up behind him to give him a small hug and also give him the flowers which he held out with his free hand.

~~~

“Now now Zane dear don’t be too hard on the poor lad,” Alex said from the wall behind him after letting out another sigh after hearing him berate the knighted squire. She had sighed again earlier as well at seeing his bare arms that were free from any sleeves that a tunic would normally have. She had smiled back in greeting to both the prince and the king when she and the queen had arrived and now smiled again at them. Gertrude was now standing beside both her son and husband and had an amused look on her face when she heard Zane berate the squire as well as Alex’s greeting to him.

((I’ll post as the princess in another post or so))

Edited by SkySong278

Avery leaned back against him with a sigh, turning around and burrowing his face in his chest. "I can't choose one familiar. Eventually after a year and  seven months, I'll call a different familiar to focus on another type of magic but right now I don't know what to do. If I learn defense and attack magic I can protect myself but then I'll be required to go places to provide protection. If I do common spells, I'll be able to stay here but it would be boring for I get things quickly. If I choose positions, I will have to wait three years until I call another familiar but I will be constantly on the road for ingredients and be brewing things at a precise time. It'll be more challenging but I won't be able to be here for he next three years.... I don't know what to do..." He whimpers.

----

"Ha! Don't be too hard. Well we are protecting our King and his family here! And in a few hours, the princess of drunhem (drewn-heem) will he here and with four royals they better be on top of their game! Yes, we've elimated the threat that had nearly ended the King and Queen's lives however, that just makes it so others who want to do harm can step up. We must never EVER let our guard down! Our majesties safety is our number one priority, and their lives will be put before our own every time. I will not tolerate mistakes in my ranks for one mistake at the wrong time can be fatal to both us knights, the royal family and jeopardize our kingdom. " He said walking to the front of the ranks. "Soldier, go change and be at the west tower in half an hour! The rest of you have already received your assigned posts." With military precision he turned on his heel and faced the king saluting him by slamming his fist against his chest. "Knights are inspected and ready for dismissal sir!" He said with his rough tone. 

King Harold gave the dismissal and the knights scrambled off. Only when the last one was out of sight did Harold and Edward hug and kiss Gertrude and Zane visibly relaxed pulled Alex against him kissing the top of her head. 

Cody listened both closely and carefully to everything that Avery told him regarding what he was having a hard time with, understanding why he seemed to be at a loss as to what he should do. "Why don't you do the common spells for now and stay here and then maybe the next time you're able to choose a familiar you can travel or go places where you're needed/required to provide protection?" he asked gently as a suggestion while holding him with both arms and with one of his hands rubbing his back comfortingly. The other hand was still holding the flowers he got him. "I bought you some flowers."

----

"Ah right and that is very true. Never mind. Carry on then," Alex said in reply to a few of his first few statements or so before he acknowledged the knight that had the wrong armor on again. After she heard the rest of what was said to the other knights as well as the king and the king gave the dismissal, she hugged Zane back and kissed his cheek after he had relaxed. “Hey love,” she said as an official greeting with a small smile. “Can I also ask you your opinion on something that I’m a bit worried about?” she asked after a few more minutes of silence had passed between them.

Gertrude hugged and kissed Harold and Edward back as a greeting and with a small smile.

Edited by SkySong278

"oh Cody..." He said softly taking the flowers and kissing his cheek. "Lilacs, lavender and bluebells my favorite.. I'll get there some water. " He said and located a vase filling it with water with a small spell and setting them on the sitting room tea table.  "How was your day today? I'm making tea if you want some. " He said pulling the kettle off the stove and pouring two cups of tea handing one to Cody. "I'm also set to tutor a princess in her magic lessons while she is here. " He said sitting down. "I'm so stressed my hair is coming out." He said plucking a few strands from his yellow dress. 

---------

"What would you worry your pretty head about love? Is it the wedding plans? I know you want a small wedding but it may be a bit bigger then I thought it would be with all my family wanting to come from Spain to see you. You are kinda famous for being the first female knight. " He said with a chuckle then studied her face. "But I get the feeling that's not exactly what you are worried about."

“I try to pay attention to what your favorite things are and I’m glad you’re feeling better,” he said before following after him to where he was preparing tea. “It was fine. A bit busy but I like being busy,” he said in reply to the question before nodding in reply to the statement that followed about him wanting tea. He took the offered cup before sitting down as well, listening to everything else that he said. “I heard about that. She’s coming from the nearby kingdom called Drunhem. I’m sure you’ll do just fine in teaching her. Anything I can do to help you not be so stressed?” he said and asked in reply before taking a sip of his tea.

-•-•-

“No I know we’ve got those handled and it’s fine that the wedding party’s going to be a bit bigger than we originally planned. I don’t mind that and I’d like to meet them as well,” she said in reply to most of his statements and the second question before hearing the last statement. “Her Majesty would like to promote me to the trainer for the new recruits after our successful quest but I’m not sure. I told her I’d think about it and then get back to her but what if they give me trouble for being a woman and give me a hard time? I’ve made a few friends here that don’t care what gender I really am but I don’t know if I’d be on my own in handling the recruits.”

"I don't know what you can do. Well, other than sitting by me and holding me. Everything is moving fast, I feel like I'm cought up in a whirlwind. " Avery said softly sipping his tea. " I'm glad you are so thoughtful. I love you so much Cody."

----

"That's a bit like demotion really. To me at least. Recruits are already trained when they get here. Sure some would be a bit.... troublesome. I've had a few who transferred here talk about the female knight in some way I rather not talk about. Had to discipline them for such talk. Then again, word of you being knighted spread fast however you being taken hasn't. I'm sure you can handle a few recruits however of they gang up on you.... Well I really hope that doesn't happen. Will you be working alongside another teacher?"

“I can do that no problem. I can also help with steadying you if you think you’re spinning too fast,” he said in reply before also taking another sip of his own tea. “I try and I love you, too.”

-•-•-

“Oh and she didn’t say. Maybe I should just stick to being by the queen’s side, then or I can work with you and be under your command but that would probably be a distraction to and for you,” she said in reply with a small sigh before resting her head on his shoulder. “I don’t know what to do.”

Edited by SkySong278

Avery smiled slightly. "Thanks. Now o know what familiar to chose, I can focus on that. You help me put things into perspective. " He said sipping his tea and relaxing in the chair. 

----++---

Zane laughed. "Just because I'm in this position, doesn't mean I still don't have my job as the king's guard. I still walk around with him." He said looking over to Harold with his family sitting on a stone bench nearby talking to his wife and son. "It just means I have more work and a higher pay, and I can actively participate in the council meetings. You can work under me, but I won't be distracted by you love. However I would be strictly professional and act like I did before with the recruits even when you are with me."

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

“You’re welcome and I’m glad I could help,” he said in reply with another smile before finishing drinking his tea. “What would you like to do for the rest of the day?”

-•-•-

“Oh I didn’t know that. Good to know I guess and I can be professional as well if I chose to do that instead of helping train. I’ll get more information first about that before I make a decision,” Alex said in reply with a small smile on her face now. “How did your day go before Her Majesty and I walked up?” she asked after a few more minutes or so and when she was looking up at him again.

Edited by SkySong278

Avery finished his tea and set the cup on the table. "I would like some sunshine, and I need to get materials for my summoning ritual to call my familiar so why don't we go shopping and walk around?" He said putting on his sun bonnet and getting a basket with a list of things he needed for the wind summoning along with some empty bottles. 

------

"Uneventful. Intimidating men older than me is kinda fun, I have thirty something's trembling in their boots. After this we'll get into our formal wear for lunch and  we will eat with the princess at that time. Hopefully things work out for the prince. He's a good guy, and this would be a good decision for the country. Drunhem has a strong military and powerful magic users that can help us with this drought we are experiencing in the far outskirts of the country." He said following Harold and Edward inside. "Looks like social time is over for now. See you in a few  mi Reina." he said kissing her hand before following his charge back to his chaimbers to be changed.

“Sure. That sounds like it would be very fun,” Cody said in reply to what Avery said and asked while watching as he got everything he needed as well a list of ingredients. “What place should we start with first?”

-•-•-

“That sounds interesting and fun. Okay and talk of lunch so early is making me a bit hungry. That sounds like it would be a good match for him and our two kingdoms,” she said before following after him when she saw the queen also heading inside. “Okay mi amore y rey,” she said in reply before kissing him on the cheek after he had kissed her hand and then followed Gertrude back to her own room to get changed.

"The alchemist in town. They have raw ingredients then we head to the west hill out of the city for wind of the setting sun, then to the owlery for a feather of each bird that cover the west side of the country." He read off the list and tucking it in his basket. 

----

Zane also got changed to his outfit he wore when kighted, the deep black with red tubing, gold buttons and his family crest embroidered on his brest. His hair was combed with some reluctance and the cowlick on the side of his head refused to remain flat. 

"Okay and getting those other ingredients sounds like fun if a bit challenging," he said in reply with a curious and interested look on his face before leading the way to the door and then opening it for Avery shortly afterward. He would close and make sure it was locked behind them after they were both outside.

-•-•-

While Gertrude changed into a silver and gold shimmery long gown and fixed her hair, Alex changed into a silver and navy gown she had gotten in town with the former's company and help. She had wanted to get a new dress but wasn't sure which one to get so Gertrude helped her pick it out. She also put on some crystal flats that were surprisingly comfortable. After the queen was done getting ready, she helped Alex with her hair while braiding it in a way that pins and clips would keep it in place without the need of a leather ring (thinking Rapunzel's hair but without the flowers and a bit shorter). After they were both completely ready, they headed down to the dining room together.

Edited by SkySong278

"The irregular ingredients are for a potion. Potion making is precise and often takes very specific ingredients to make the desired result. If I went with the mouse which is The familiar of potions, I will have to travel around to gather specific ingredients at specific times. For example dew drops from the tallest tree on the tallest mountain in moonlight on the summer solstice. It's challenging but fun, yet it will take me far away. I don't want to go far away and miss my sister's wedding. " He said talking Cody's hand and walking with him to the marketplace to the alchemist shop. 

----+--

((I thought she kept her hair short, and zippers aren't a thing even with magic. All dresses had ties of some sort or maybe a buttons in places))

Harold and Edward wore silver and gold matching uniforms and Harold walked arm in arm with his wife to the lunch room a separate table was set aside for the other guards (Alex and her guard partner and he king's other guard.) Zane being in his position sat next to the prince who was the knight general. Other people of power where there, the royal adviser, the Superior judge, and the king's brother. 

Fanfare sounded the princess's arrival.

((she does but I'm thinking now it's just about shoulder length. I edited the post to take out the part about the zipper so it can be a pull on dress as well as specified the length of her updo))

“Ah okay and I don’t want to miss it either especially since I’m Zane’s best man. What familiar did you pick?” Cody said and asked in reply to what Avery said before following him to the alchemist shop in the market. He was curious if he had picked one where he didn’t have to travel very far or the ingredients were easier to find and come by.

-•-•-

Alex went to the table where her guard partner was after walking in with Gertrude. The latter was led by her husband to the main table where their son and Zane were sitting. Alex sat down but didn’t get too comfortable due to the fanfare sounding off that announced that the princess had arrived and had to stand with everyone else as the royals from Drunhem walked in.

Once it had died down some, the princess walked in with her parents and they were led to the table that Edward and company were sitting at. They found empty seats in the middle and got comfortable.

“King Harold, Queen Gertrude and Prince Edward this is our daughter Princess Kimberly,” King Xander said as introduction with a smile as he gestured to their daughter. Kimberly stood up and did a small curtsy before saying with a smile on her face, “It’s very nice to meet Your Majesties and Your Highness.” She sat down again after she had said her greeting and nodded in acknowledgement to Zane. She was wearing a light green gown that made her grey blue eyes pop and her chestnut brown hair was pulled back in a braid down her back. Queen Amelia smiled proudly at Kimberly and the greeting she said before nodding in acknowledgement to everyone at the table.

((I’ll post a reply in From light into darkness when I get back home. at church for something for an hour and only had time to post in here so far))

Edited by SkySong278

((oh gosh Kimber is my last name! do you mind me saying Kimberly? It feels less weird and it doesn't pop up my name in he suggestion box on my phone by accedent XD. Have fun at church!))

"Falcon, for charms and spells. Can be a falcon of any kind and it's element is wind, cardinal direction is west. The spells would be things like making armor like dimond hard or enchanting a blade to be unbreakable and only be used by the wielders bloodline, spells to keep rats out of grain and cause a small rain to water crops. Things for general use. To call one and bind it to me I must have a potion along with saying a spell with a spell circle. That's why we need the aviary feathers and the wind at sunset to mix for my summoning ritual. " He explained going into the shop and to the items in jars and bottles. He pulled out his list and studied it. 

-------

"Good afternoon, it is pleasure to meet you princess and Your Majesties." Edward said with a smile and a nodded back in greeting. 

King Harold gave the three a bright smile. "It is wonderful to finally meet your beautiful family King Xander. You already know my wife Gertrude and my son Edward," he said  gesturing to each one as he said their names. "But you can see I have other guests with me. My brother Duke Elroy, my advisor David and the high judge Timothy. The young man next to my son is my Knight commander Zane. I know it's quite the title for a for a young man who is turning twenty soon, but I assure you that he keeps every man I have in line. No threats get by him. He saved my life and out lovely knight Alex, the first woman who was bestowed a knighthood, saved my dear wife. I hope you can relax here knowing that you and your family are very welcome and well protected here. If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to speak to my Knight commander and he'd see it though. Now that the introductions are through, you must be hungry from your journey so let's eat shall we?" 

Harold then sat down and the food was brought out right away. 

((oh sorry. I forgot you mentioned that somewhere else. that’s fine and I changed it in my previous post. I was at adoration subbing for someone else that couldn’t be there. in case you don’t know what that is, it’s where you go and sit quietly for an hour and pray or read while letting all the events of the day fade))

Cody listened to everything that Avery said in reply to his question with curiosity and interest before nodding in understanding when he was done and then followed him into the shop shortly afterward, looking at all the items that were there. “How do you capture wind?” he asked. He figured you’d have to use a jar but he thought that it might be a bit hard to do. Of course, he wasn’t a magic user so he had no idea that it could be caught using magic.

-•-•-

Xander nodded in greeting to Harold and Gertrude while Amelia did the same before he said in reply to what Harold said, “I do know them and it’s a pleasure to meet all of the other people in your company as well especially Alex. I’m sure she had to go through quite the ordeal to be knighted. I’m impressed and yes let’s eat.” He and Amelia sat down followed by Kimberly and they started to put food on their plates after it was set down on the table.

Alex blushed a bit when she heard the king call her lovely but smiled all the same in greeting to the Drunhem royals when she was introduced and then also put some food on her own plate when it was brought over followed by her guard companions.

Edited by SkySong278

((oh my gosh! :o I didn't even read he whole occ, I had to read it three times cuz when I saw adoration I was like "Gasp  Weeeeee! Totally understand I had to be a alter server and am a sacristan for my church so I know what it is and how it goes. It's a lovely time in silence. I enjoy it.))

"Two ways. Open the lid as a wind blows and shut it fast. Or open the lid, say a spell to make it colorful and active in the jar then shut it as you collect it. That one we do last for it's 'from the sun' meaning sunset with wind coming from the West. " He said picking out a couple powders, a talon and beak trimming. He inspected each carefully, wrapped it in paper and marked it with the number, the powder was mesured into viles and sealed with wax at the counter. He paid for the materials them headed back outside. "Now to the aviary and get the feathers then walk around until the sun starts to set to get the last bit. " Avery said mostly to himself to check off his mental list of things gathered and needed to gather. 

--------

Zane ate quietly, keeping his eyes anywhere but on the princess out of respect. He mostly looked at the door behind the visiting family. Harold spoke about the marriage and some new things from the festival not too long ago he had gotten. Edward spoke with Kimberly. 

"I hope you aren't too tired from your journey. I'd love to show you around my home. We also have some beautiful horses in the stables if you want to see them. While our parents talk after lunch I can get Zane and Alex to be chaperones and guards as we walk around."

((ah okay and I do as well. I have a normal time slot on Saturday mornings from 11am-12pm but if I get sub requests on days during the week that I think I can make, I accept them and last night was one of those days))

"Ah okay. I figured we'd do the collecting of the wind step last since you said sunset," he said in reply before watching as Avery got inspected the ingredients he chose while in the shop and then followed him to the counter where each one was sealed and paid for. He then followed him out of the store, nodding in reply when he heard what he said last but didn't say anything as he figured he was mostly talking to himself. "After we're done at the aviary any place in particular you'd like to go before the sun sets and we have to head to a hill or do you want to just wander around aimlessly?"

-•-•-

Alex ate in silence, occasionally listening to the conversations that were going on between the royals but then also having her own small conversations with her fellow guards. She also did look towards Zane at times and would notice that his attention was mostly on the door behind the Drunhem family. Xander and Gertrude occasionally put in their input but the latter mostly stayed silent while listening to her husband speak and Kimberly listened to everything Edward said while getting a bit excited.

"I'm not too terribly tired. I'd like that a lot. As we arrived, I admired how beautiful it was and would like a look around the inside a bit more. I love horses and oh yes please. That would be great."

Edited by SkySong278