SkySong278

A Knight's Story

Avery came out. "Sis, my teacher went too far and found out that I'm not really a woman. Could you talk to him please?" He asked hearing his sister's voice. 

Zane came in through the back door. "Want me to go too?"

“Oh dear and yes. Come with me to show me where he is?” Alex said and asked in reply all with a worried expression on her face before hearing Zane’s voice come from the back door. “Yes please if you don’t mind. It’ll help me feel better,” she said in reply to his question with a small smile but it didn’t reach her eyes.

Cody got up from the chair when he heard the conversation towards the back of the shop and said, “I’ll go as well but I’ll just stay outside the place where he is because all of us don’t need to be in there.”

I'm going to go through this fast. ))

Avery lead his sister to the warehouse and let them in. After he had unlocked the cage and his sister and Zane 'spoke' to him his teacher was let go, and disappeared after that. 

A month later, Avery was ready for the mages galla awaiting his master in the courtyard in his dress and a cloak made from spun gold and silver spider silk fashioned to his neck with a large laptiz broach. His master bore a sea inspired robe with moving waves and a ship that sailed the swells caused by the folds of the cloth. The mage was doing an incantation at a empty stone archway that lead to the queens garden, each stone glowing gold as a portal was formed. 

-----

A month later Zane found himself with a daunting task. His only companion, his bride to be as they were sent to investigate the information swap spot in the mountains. After weeding out three more spies in the castle, a lower ranked one broke and told that they met their handler here to give information about the king and his doings to the man behind it all. 

The king thought he should send a large party, but Zane advised against it, saying two people wandering the mountains would get less attention then a platoon of men. 

((okay))

Alex and Cody had followed after Avery and Zane to the warehouse where David was confined and then she ‘talked’ to him before they released him.

~-~-

A month later, Cody was near the queen’s garden while taking care of Chestnut who he brought over to help keep Spot and Toro company. He was near just in case anyone tried to take advantage of him and he wasn’t sure that he was invited after he got a bit aggravated with him last month about not complimenting him right away on how the dress looked on him.

Alex rode behind Zane on their quest for the assassin’s lair a month later, wondering just how far away it was and if they would encounter any dangers on the way or when they arrived there. She already knew that they would be camping so she didn’t bother to ask about that. “Did that assassin happen to tell you exactly where this information swap area was?” she asked curiously after a few minutes of silence had gone by between them as she watched their surroundings for any potential dangers.

Edited by SkySong278

Avery had forgiven Cody, however he wasn't invited. Only mages and their assistants could pass through the portal and Cody was neither. Avery slowly approached Cody. He never looked more like a woman despite the fact the dress showed some chest skin. Lips and eyelids painted gold showed off his one gold eye and the gold growing in the other from contact with magic.  He looked at his high heels. "I'm sorry you can't go. I wish you could.... I got angry because I actually designed this dress... and it also means that - by going to this galla- I could become an apprentice. Nobody messes with a mage, so I can be both a woman and man and nobody would do anything to me. Some mages are females that dress like men. My master is one... that's why he accepted me when he found out.... I just.. thought you'd be proud and do that cute little chest puff thing you do when you talk about a star pupil in your class or about a knight you know who got a medal for some valiant reason. I sometimes wonder if you're ashamed of me... I don't hear you talk about me to your friends and I felt like I've done nothing that anyone could be proud of until now... " He clicked his heels together in nervousness finding the granite paving stones very interesting in order to avoid eye contact. 

----

"He said it's in a cave near the convent your brother studied at.  The mountain next to it actually. Near the top. Not an exact location, however it'll bring us close enough. If anyone asks, we're a couple looking to be wed by the bishop at the convent and we got lost. That's why I asked you to wear leather armor and chain mail under your blouse and skirt and I had mom sew pants under the skirt so you don't have to ride side saddle. And that I had everything with the king's crest left at home so it's believable. We're a knight and his fiancee going to the convent. Okay?" He said.  He had cleverly concealed her weapon under a fold of her flowing skirt that covered most of Spot's back and saddle bags. He knew she wouldn't like the idea of them looking defenceless however he was certain that incognito would work best for a surprise attack. 

Cody turned towards Avery when he heard everything that he said, walking slightly away from Chestnut and a bit closer to the former. “I’m very proud of you and I’m sorry if I made you feel that I wasn’t. A lot of things have been on my mind lately is all. You look lovely by the way and I’m glad that you have a place that you can feel comfortable and accepted. It makes me happy to know that you’re around people that are more like you and are comfortable with how they dress,” he said before putting gentle fingers on his love’s chin and lifting it up some so that he was looking into his eyes. He then leaned forward and placed a soft, gentle kiss on his lips before pulling away again. “Have fun and I’ll be here when it’s over if you’d like me to take you home. I’m also happy for your soon-to-be new rank,” he said after he had pulled away from the kiss with a small smile on his face and before he pulled his fingers away from the other’s chin.

~-~-

“Okay and I agree that would be the best course of action to take,” Alex said in reply with a smile as she briefly looked over at him before looking around their surroundings once again. She didn’t like the fact that they looked defenseless but she understood why so she didn’t say anything about it. “Should we start thinking about where to camp or stay for the night?” she asked a little while later when she noticed that it was starting to get dark.

Edited by SkySong278

Avery flushed with a wide grin on his face.  "Yes, it'll be over in three hours precisely. " He said and hugged Cody tightly before prancing off to the portal that was now open. He turned, waved and went through. The portal winked out a second after. 

-----

Zane looked up and studied the sky. "Until Andromida is fully visible. Then we'll stop." He said softly. About a half hour later, it was still dusk, light enough to set up camp but near the mountains it was dark. He dismounted, set up a single tent, two bed rolls a large warm blanket. "Toro, keep vigilance. " He told the horse as he got out bread, cheese and cold cut meat for dinner. 

Cody hugged him back and then waved back to him before he went through the portal. He then went back to Chestnut, got him ready for riding, and then took off on him towards the woods.

~-~-

Alex nodded and then once the constellation was out, she also dismounted and then helped him prep the food after he had set up the tent and their sleeping arrangements. She then started to eat her food after taking care of Spot. “Would you like to dance after we’re done eating? We need to practice anyway for our wedding and we haven’t done it since the ball when we were still in training,” she asked and said after she had swallowed a bite of her food.

"There's no music, and it's kinda like sword fighting..." He said before stopping to think about the situation for a moment. "Yes, I'd love to dance with you. We do need to practice, and I'll teach you a Spanish dance called the tango. You'll love it." He smiled making a sandwich by folding the bread in half with the cheese and meat taking a bite.

((Hold off on Avery for a little bit.))

“You can always hum,” Alex suggested before hearing everything else he said. “Okay and I’m sure that I will,” she said in reply to the rest of his statements with her own smile before continuing to eat her food. 

He nodded at her suggestion to hum, his mouth was full so being the gentleman he was, he refrained from actually voicing his response. Once finished with his rations he put the food away, placing their bags in the tent. He then pulled out a music box. "Or we can use this. It plays mom's favorite song. "

Alex finished eating shortly after he did before watching him put their bags in their tent and then seeing what he had brought out with him when he came back towards her afterward. “Sure that sounds good,” she said in reply with a smile before standing up and offering to dance with him with her hand held out towards him.

Zane took it after winding up the music box and pulled her close to dance with her. He stumbled a little, his time in jail and lack of practice made his coordination off slightly but it was nothing that practice couldn't fix.

Alex also stumbled a bit but was soon dancing normally after a little while. “This is nice getting to dance with you again,” she said after a little while longer of silence had passed between them as they both tried to concentrate on the correct moves.

"Yes. It feels natural." He smiled and kissed her lightly, trodding on her foot. "I'm sorry!" He says before falling silent again until the song on the music box ended. "You get ready for bed first. I'll be in when you're done okay?" He said softly.

Alex smiled back at him before kissing him back just as lightly as he did her. “It’s okay,” she said in reply to his apology after he trodded on her foot and before she heard everything else he said right as the music stopped playing. “Okay and I won’t be long,” she said before heading to the tent and getting dressed in a simple light cloth-like gown that she’s been sleeping in for a little while now. She made sure to put the leather armor and chain mail next to her pack while putting the blouse and skirt back inside it.

Edited by SkySong278

Zane got ready outside and came in the tent in a red cotton shirt pants pajama combo. He crawls into his bed roll and pulled the blanket over both of them. "Sweet dreams love..." 

“Same to you,” Alex said in reply from her own bedroll and then leaned over and kissed him softly on the cheek before falling asleep soon afterward.

~~~

The next morning found her still sleeping softly with her face facing towards the tent flap. She heard the birds singing outside but it wasn’t enough to wake her up from her peaceful sleep.

Zane was awake simply watching her sleep, the sun made her hair glow like a halo. He tenderly kissed her nose. "My Angel..." He whispers kissing her lips softly. "Sweet Princess... wake up. "

Alex kissed Zane back softly when she started to wake up but then pouted a bit as she sat up and stretched. “I don’t want to get up just yet though,” she said before sighing and standing up anyway before adding, “but I guess I need to anyway so that we can continue on our way.”

Edited by SkySong278

Zane smiled and nodded leaving the tent to make breakfast and get changed. When she left the tent, he handed her some cooked meat and bread with slightly melted cheese over it. "Here. Not much, but it's an important meal. We'll reach the cave by noon today, nightfall at the latest. " He said eating his own meal. 

Alex smiled back at Zane before he left the tent and then started to get dressed into another outfit like she wore yesterday but the skirt she wore over the pants was a different color and the blouse had a different pattern. The pants were the same, though. When she got out of the tent, she saw that he had breakfast ready and took the cooked meat with slightly melted cheese on it with the bread gratefully before starting to eat them as well as hearing everything he said he gave her the meal. “I understand and it’ll get rid of my hunger for a little while before we eat again which would probably be dinner. That’s good and what should the plan be if we happen to get separated in the cave?” she said and asked in reply after she had taken a bite of her breakfast and had swallowed it.

"I don't think that'll happen, but if it does, I think you can hold your own. Cut Z marks on the walls every corner you turn so if I see them I can follow them to you. You're a smart woman and resourceful. You are my equal after all... maybe even better then me. It's hard to be certain how many people are waiting and what the layout of the caves are but if you're caught and I'm captured, they'll probably try torturing me to get info on the king. Let them. I can handle pain remember I've been in pain most of my life, however when they find out they can't get me to talk they'll turn on you. Wait until I call you rayna to show them what you can do. That you're not a weak simple country girl. Don't hold back and watch your six until you can free me. Then we'll fight back to back. Sound good to you?"

“Well we never know what kind of traps they have set up for anyone who enters their cave or if they do. I will and aw thank you for saying that. I don’t think I’m better than you but think of you as my equal and my match. Okay but I’ll probably get worried as I watch you get beaten by them. I’ll definitely do that. They won’t know what hit them. I like the idea of fighting back to back with you and yes.” She then stood up before stretching a bit before asking, “Want help packing up the tent or should I just take care of the horses while you do that and before we head out?”

Edited by SkySong278

"Handle the horses. The faster we move the faster we'll get this over with, be back home and plan our actual wedding. " He said without thinking, flushing and coughed like something was stuck in his throat. "I mean, we can talk about it since its our cover..."