SkySong278

A Knight's Story

"Pie. Can it be blueberry pie? " he drank down the water and tore into the sandwich. "I never thought I'd eat properly again. I lost a lot of weight in the prison..."

Avery handed Cody his canteen and sat down smoothing his dress. "You must be hungry. Training kids is harder then it looks I guess." He smiled softly at him. 

"Sure," Alex said in reply with a smile before starting to eat her own sandwich. "Those guards were mean to you but you look like you're starting to gain it back," she said in reply to his last statement before sighing a bit. "What if one of my nightmares come true?"

"Thanks love," Cody said after receiving the canteen and then gave him a small kiss on his cheek before drinking some of the water in there and then starting to eat his sandwich.

"Impossible. The king has him in the traitor cell. Deep under ground with his own personal guards on him. No way he can get out. Apparently he tried to overthrow the king from the inside." Zane said. "But he still has friends who want revenge."

Avery blushed and waved his fan shyly. 

"What about his lawyer? He was the one who abducted me in my nightmares," Alex said and asked in reply to what Zane said in reply to the question she had asked earlier. She then noticed that the kids were back in their individual groups and looking for her so she added after kissing him softly on the lips, "I have to get back to my job but I'll see you later this evening with delicious food for dinner and blueberry pie for dessert." After she said what she did, she got up and headed back towards the kids.

"You're cute when you're shy," Cody said with a small smile before kissing Avery's cheek again and then finishing eating his sandwich and drinking his water. "I have to be getting back to training my group of kids but I'll see you later if you want to go out," he said before getting up from the other bench that he had been sitting on and stretching slightly before kissing him on the lips and then heading back over to where his own group of kids were waiting for him.

((should we skip a bit to their picnic date?))

Edited by SkySong278

"I don't know. They are dreams. Unless you are a witch of some kind that has premonitions, I believe that they are simply nightmares. We can ask all the what if questions we want. However that worry would get you nowhere. I am free. And I have worried enough that my mom found several grey hairs on my head. I've had enough. " he got up, returning the kiss and nodded to her statement also seeing the kids returning to their groups. He went back to the older kids and continued his work with them. 

Avery flushed and fanned himself. "Sound like a good plan. I must me off as well. I have my studies to attend to." He called after Cody, went and gave his sister a hug then went on his way. 

((No. Let's skip to when Zane and Alex have their jobs as the royal family's personal guards and throw something surprising at me. Like an attempt of a assassination or a revolution, or war, something that'll spark drama and test their love for each other. Both parties. ))

((okay and I think I thought up a good surprise but I'll have to think a bit more on how to get it posted))

Two months or so later found Alex being a royal guard for the queen. She was currently standing outside the room with her other fellow guards and embarrassingly found herself yawning slightly. She hadn't gotten much sleep the night before because she was reading and then when she did get to sleep, she ended up waking up early that morning without being able to go back to sleep so she took an early morning ride on Spot. She composed herself completely before any of the other guards could notice and lecture her on being more awake and observant and then started to look at all the people who passed by in the hall to make sure they wouldn't try anything.

Cody was still training a group of kids in the town that Avery and Alex lived in two months later and quite enjoyed it for now. It gave him something to do when he wasn't with the former on dates or planning get togethers for them and Alex and Zane. He also thought that it might be a good idea to get them (Cody and company) together with the other two knights that had been the top five of their class to go riding or go on an adventure together. He'd have to ask the former two first about that before he sent out the letters to be sure that they were okay and on board with the idea. He was currently in the middle of training when those thoughts popped up in his head and had to clear it first before he got too distracted.

Edited by SkySong278

Zane was at the king's chambers across from the queen's. He stood at attention, eyes not missing any detail. Not even when his girlfriend attempted to hide her lack of sleep. Poor thing, so enthralled in the romance novel he'd given her. He smiled slightly when she straightened, looking around to see if a caught her. Tilting his head, he straightened and kicked his partner who was leaning against the wall looking at the ceiling, having trained himself to sleep with his eyes open.  The king's door opened and His Majesty swept from the room. "Good morning everyone, I'm off to the council room and then the battlemants for inspection. Any comments or questions?" He asked his guards, as was his usual morning routine. He enjoyed Zane on duty, for he was the only one that had no fear to hold a conversation with him as they walked through the halls. And as usual, Zane didn't fail to respond. "I believe the west wing has been refurbished from your wife's request, and the long hall had three paintings and a new rug added. Oh, and I can call Andy for you, I believe David has had a long night with his newborn again. Colicy you know." The king nodded and dismissed the tired guard who thanked him and left. Zane followed the king after waving goodbye at his girlfriend.

Alex was buried in texts and was loving every second. He was translating a text. An ancient tome that he considered himself very lucky to see it. 

Alex blew Zane a kiss when he walked by her with the king and after he waved goodbye to her. She then looked ahead again when she heard movement come from behind the queen's door before it was opened. She and her partner were greeted by the queen and Alex walked with her to the garden to have tea with her and held a small conversation with her on the update of the west wing and other things she wanted to talk about on the way there. When they got downstairs, Alex signaled one of the maids there to go outside with them and to serve her and the queen. The maid nodded and followed them outside while awaiting her chance to try an attack on the both of them. There was also a servant in the council room that was doing the same thing but he was waiting for the king and Zane to arrive to the room first.

After Cody was done with his training session, he headed to one of the bath buildings nearby, took a bath, and then went to where Avery worked to visit him for a little while.

Edited by SkySong278

They checked out the paintings on the way to the council room. When they entered Zane was on alert. They arrived five minutes late, however there were very few councillors there. "Ah, it's a fair today, I believe that they are on the way. Should have moved it further back. Foot traffic is a nightmare, may be a few minutes." The king said and went to sit down. Zane motioned to the servant to push in the chair and give the king some tea and refreshments. 

Cody was lead into a restricted area and was told not to touch anything inside. Avery was handling the tone with gloves and carefully flipped the yellow pages. "Cody! I'm translating sandscript. Isn't it cool?"

Alex was also on alert and after the maid served the cakes and tea, the former noticed the latter reach down towards her ankle but was too slow to act and was quickly stabbed. She let out a yell before getting up with her hand across her stomach where she had been stabbed and then took out her own dagger and threw it into the back of the maid. The latter fell face first to the ground before she could attack the queen and then Alex fell over in pain from her injury before falling unconscious.

The servant in the council room nodded when he was signaled by Zane to serve the tea and snacks and then made his own move to attack the king.

Cody found Avery translating a text of some kind and when told what it was he smiled and nodded in reply to the question before saying while coming up beside him on his right side, "Yes very exciting indeed."

Edited by SkySong278

Zane watched the man as he took too long with the tea, stirring something in the cup before bringing it to the king. He then stood to the side of the chair, not back to the place where the servant should be. Zane shoved himself between the servant and the king throwing the cup against the wall, spilling it's contents everywhere, most of it getting inside a potted plant. "Zane what in the blazes-!" "It's poison! Gah!" Zane snarled as the servant went to plan B jabbing a small knife in to Zane, however he wore two layers of chain mail underneath his leather breast plate so it didn't puncture skin. Zane then proceeded to smash the assassin's head against the table knocking him out. He patted the pockets of the man looking for the vile of poison powder and also found a tin containing sionide. "A professional only uses this... ..." Zane said as the king called for guards to take him away. "My king, if there's someone targeting you... where's your wife?" He asked. "Oh dear, Gertrude!" The king shouted running from the room, Zane hot on his heals as they dashed to the garden, the king shouting for a doctor along the way. Zane froze at the scene as the king rushed to his wife. 

Zane couldn't breathe, his vision swam with agony and anger as he fell to his knees and crawled on all fours to Alex. "........   ......A.....a....." his mouth moved in her name but not a sound came out. He pressed on her wound, carefully scooping her up in his arms and cradling her, eyes squeezed shut and mouth held in a silent scream as he shook his head, stroking her hair to get her to at least acknowledge his presents. 

--

"Yes, quite! I can't wait......wait..." Avery looks up sharply, pivoting to the window to look at the view of the castle. Being a scribe, he had to learn a spell or two to help him read and accurately translate into English any language of the world. This closeness with magic has changed his eye color slightly considering he didn't do anything other magic than the basic translation of spells and books and minor protection spells, it was only in one eye that had the soft gold color of a magic user other than the deep navy blue he had.  

The affinity with magic with a twin had led Avery to be more aware of his sister's feelings, but this only works within a certain extreme of feelings. So, when his skin started to tingle like he'd been struck by lightning, he knew something was wrong. "Cody, I can't leave this place, the book is only out once every twenty years and my master needs it translated by tonight. But... please, run to the castle and check on my sister, something is off. Very wrong... " He looked at Cody with his wide mismatched eyes. "Please!"

Alex looked over at Zane when she heard him try to say her name as well as when he cradled her in his arms after coming to from being unconscious. "I'm okay my love," she said when she put one of her hands on his cheek with a pained smile on her face. "The dagger didn't hit anything major but it still really hurts." The doctor came over to them then and said to Zane, "I need to get her to the infirmary now. She's lost quite a bit of blood from the stab wound she received."

"I'm fine Patrick. Alex killed the assassin maid before she could hurt or kill me. I hope she'll be okay because she saved my life," Gertrude told him with a smile when he came over to check on her before she looked over at Alex and Zane and the doctor with a worried expression on her face.

Cody was still smiling when he heard what Avery was starting to say before it faded to be replaced by worry when he watched the former look over toward the window and then heard what all he said afterward. "Of course," he said before going over to him and kissing him on the cheek and then quickly getting out of the building they were in to head to the castle.

Edited by SkySong278

Zane nodded and headed to the infirmary, being careful not to jostle her. He laid her down on a bed and let the doctor have a look at her. 

The king nodded. He followed the young couple, calling the guards to attention and for the interrogation of the assassin who Zane arrested when he comes too. 

Alex watched the doctor look her over and then once he was done and had wrapped a cloth around her wound he said to her, "I reccommend that you stay at home for a week to fully recover from your injury before you come back here to continue your job." Then he turned to Zane and said, "I'd like for you to check in on her and make sure she does what I told her to because it would be very bad if the wound was to get worse while she came back and did something to make it so."

Cody got to the castle just as Alex was being taken to the infirmary by Zane and he asked a nearby guard what had happened. He told him that a maid had tried to assassinate the queen and that Alex had prevented that from happening while getting injured in the process. Cody nodded in understanding before heading back to Avery to tell him the news.

Edited by SkySong278

Zane nodded. "I will sir. I'll take her home..." He said. He picked her up and looked at the king who dismissed him and left taking her  his home nearby. He laid her down in his bed. "Do you need anything? Food? Water?" He asked her softly.  He had entered through the back, his mother running a sewing shop in the front near the courtyard of the castle.

Avery looked up spotting Zane leaving the castle with his sister in his arms heading to his mother's new shop. A few minutes later, Cody came back and informed him on the events. "Thank goodness she'd be okay. Zane took her to his home. She'll be well looked after there. " 

The doctor nodded and Alex wrapped her arms around Zane's neck after he picked her up. She thought that he was going to take her to her home but when she saw that he was taking her to what she thought was his, she figured it was because it was the closest to the castle. "A small sandwich and water please," she said in reply just as softly before asking, "Won't you get in trouble for me staying here for a week when we're not married?"

"That's good and I wish him luck in getting her to stay there when she can be quite stubborn when it comes to her being told to not doing something she's used to doing," Cody said in reply while letting out a small chuckle. He knew that Avery knew how stubborn she was but he was also referring to the times she had gotten injured while they were still in training and she was told to not do anything that would cause her injuries to get worse.

He flushed at her question. "No, my mom lives downstairs. The king gave me the week off. I'll get that sandwich for you. " He said and left returning with two small sandwich halfs and a glass of water. He carefully sat her up, piling pillows for her to eat comfortably. 

"That's my sister for you. She is stubborn, but you know that it'll make him more crazy for her." Avery chuckled and finished a chapter starting on a new page of translating. 

"Oh okay," Alex said in reply to what Zane said before he left to get her the sandwich and water that she requested. While he was getting those things, she started to cry. She wasn't just crying due to her injury still hurting but also because she had made him worry and her being unable to do the things she was used to doing for a week. When she heard him coming back, she quickly wiped away her tears so that he hopefully wouldn't see that she had been crying, then started to eat the sandwich he brought to her after she thanked him, and also after he had arranged the pillows so that she could be more comfortable.

"I guess you're right and yes that it would," Cody said in reply before going over to the window to look out it while Avery went back to translating the text that was in front of him.

Edited by SkySong278

Zane had seen her red puffy eyes but said no word about it to her. He set about tidying his room, closing books and straightening them on the shelves, picking up dishes and blankets taking them away. "Sorry for the mess dear." He said.

Avery continued to translate long after sunset until the tome was completed. 

"It's okay. My room's been a mess before so your room being so now doesn't bother me," Alex said in reply to his apology regarding his room after swallowing a bite of one of the sandwich halves before moving slightly to get a bit more comfortable with the pillows behind her and then grimacing slightly shortly afterward. "This pain is going to take some getting used to before it heals," she said with a sigh before continuing to eat her snack. "Are you sure I won't be a burden to you?"

After Avery was done translating the rest of the text in the tome Cody asked him, "What would you like to do for dinner?"

Edited by SkySong278

((Other one is up. A guide to pet care: by a dragon) )

"Absolutely not. Why would it be a burden to tend to the one I love?" He said softly brushing a strand of hair from her cheek. "You don't wear your ring when you work..." He said softly looking at her hand indicating the ring he gave her with the castle and when it opened showed a table with chairs. 

"Anything not involving writing or books. I know, there's a fair in town, let's go to that, and I can get something that'll cheer up sis!" He said with a grin, pinning up his hair in a jeweled brooch pin and brushed the dust from his dress, fluffing the skirts. 

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

((okay :)))

"Oh and because I feel useless being injured and also feel bad for worrying you earlier after I was stabbed," Alex said in reply to his question before hearing the trailed off statement. "That's because I don't want the other girls in my group to steal it because they're jealous."

"That sounds like a good idea," Cody said in reply with a smile himself before leading him out of the building and towards the town where the fair was being held.

Edited by SkySong278

"I saw you not moving  with a knife in your gut and jumped to conclusions." He said softly sitting beside her on a three legged stool.  "You mean the queen's handmadeins are jealous of you having a ring?  Are You sure they are not just jealous because you had the courage to follow your heart and dreams where they are spineless and twittering bitter crones who have nothing better to do then spout gossip?" He said in a huff. "You keep putting it on the wrong hand. It's an old engagement ring. The castle represents the home, and the table is the new family the couple would make. It isn't my official ring, I'm in the process of getting that one.  However it pains me to see it worn wrong, and I'm shocked nobody told you about it until now. Don't ever say your useless. If you want something to do, I can find something you could do without straining your wound. If you're any good at sewing, I can use some help mending my clothes.... they keep getting torn up during training.... and horseback riding.... and moving around. The outfits are made so fine, and not durable at all... well not on me at least. " He said with a sheepish smile.

Avery hummed a tune as they walked, hooking his arm in Cody's  so he looked like a lady who was being escorted by her knight beau for a lovely stroll around town. "Oh my, I can see it from here! So many colorful streamers!" He exclaimed excitedly as he studied the fair a block away. 

"I'm sorry I worried you and no I mean the other guards that help protect the queen. They say that you're the most handsome of the guards protecting the king and they're jealous that I'm wearing your ring. I didn't know that at the time that you gave it to me because I just thought it was a normal ring but that's my fault for not asking. I'll put it on the correct hand. I didn't say I was useless but that I feel useless. I'm not that great at it but I think I can handle that," Alex said in reply with a small smile to everything that he said before moving the ring to the correct hand and then finishing eating the rest of her sandwich that he had made for her.

Cody looked around at their surroundings and smiled when he saw Avery being happy. "I see them too and yes there are indeed a lot," he said in reply just before they arrived to the site of the fair a little while or so afterward. "What stall would you like to go to first? If you're in the mood to get a bite to eat first we can do that or go to one that has something to help cheer up Alex or vice versa."

Edited by SkySong278