TJ09

2016-12-25 - Festive Expeditions

Well... for some reason I read the story as having more depth. I seen Ezer as an angry kid that shuts down anyone who gets close. It's how he acts from his first interaction with us (if you talk to him on day 1) onward. It's automatic. He' miserable and depressed. Even after the quest, he says "... but... I guess I realize now that other people aren't too bad after all..." meaning something happened to make him think they WERE bad. He's different and might have been bullied/abused/had a terrible life experience which is why he has no friends. He wants friendship but he's become so bitter as a defense mechanism to keep from getting hurt that no one will give him a chance.

And then he meets Avery who even when he's actively trying to push everyone away, says he understands. Avery who is stern but kind to him. There is a lot of pausing on that part of the story like somehow Avery looks and this kid and knows exactly where he is in his life and why he acts the way he does. After the story is over, Avery says that "I guess he's still not used to being around a lot of people, so he's sticking with me for now." meaning that Ezer trusts him and is slowly working toward showing others his true self.

So what does all that mean to me when put together? Ezar is LGBTQ+. Perhaps he's gay or identifies as female or something along those lines and putting a toe out of the closet was so disastrous and painful that it left him/her bitter towards everyone (or he/she can't hide his/her true self well enough to not be a target for others). Ezar is trying so hard to hide who he* is that he lashes out at everyone who gets close so as to not get hurt.

However, after some long pauses (which there were a lot of the last scene), Avery put two and two together. Avery understands Ezar so well because he was once in the same boat. Powerful magical adult Avery is also LGBTQ+, but unlike Ezar he's come out the other side and no longer hiding his true self. Avery is perhaps gay or was identified female at birth but transitioned to male using magic. He was hurt by others. He knows that pain. So he takes angry little Ezar under his wing to mentor him. Ezar is no longer alone.

So why do I think someone LGBTQ+ might have a hard time in this land? I used context clues. In the previous Valentine event, the pairs mentioned were male/female. Gifts for humans showed that their society is gender binary with some gifts having preexisting gender assignments (James felt embarrassed that he wanted a doll). In the Christmas events, there are male/female pairings/interests/spouses, but no same sex couples or the like that I found (I might have missed one and would love it to be pointed out if I did). It might exist in their society to some extent, but since it's not part of the everyday it's still possible for some to have strong negative feelings about it.

Why does such a head canon mean so much to me? Because I'm polysexual (I'm attracted to multiple genders but not all. It's like bisexual plus). I've caught more crap than a port-a-potty for it. I hid for years. It made me angry and depressed to pretend. Since coming out, I've been called things I can't share here, asked things no normal acquaintance would ask another with such ease (sometimes things I wouldn't expect even a partner to ask), and accused of outlandish things, but I'm happy because I get to be myself instead of pretending. I know DC can never openly do a story about somebody like me or anyone in the LGBTQ+ rainbow because people would act foolishly over it, but it's nice to pretend that that's what happened here.

* using male pronouns for Ezar from this point on just for brevity sake

wow thank you for sharing that. its really thought provoking and kind of you to share. i appreciate it

I love the designs for the Thalassians. The trailing fins really explain why they have to wear robes, also. Those really could get caught on stuff, as large as they are.

I absoultely love the art! Love the game, too. Thank you, TJ, birdz, and everyone who worked on it!

Happy New Year to all!

wow thank you for sharing that. its really thought provoking and kind of you to share. i appreciate it

You're welcome! I was a little embarrassed and nervous to share such an extensive head canon in a place the actual author could see it, but I really liked it and how it changed the narrative. I'm glad you enjoyed it smile.gif

I feel silly for how dramatic I was being when the game first started. It's honestly been so fun, bugs and all! tongue.gif I managed to get all the items and I'm only upset that I can't use them all at once! xd.png

But I just realized that the game freezes when I try to redecorate, and I realized the reason why. Whenever I first open the list of items, if I press up instead of down it freezes. If I'm all the way at the bottom of the list and I press down instead of going back up, it freezes. Hopefully that might help someone else to keep from freezing their game while decorating.

Edited by AquaTart

Thank you so much to all the developers and spriters of the game! I loved it quite a bit, and the story was good.

I love the new dragon so much ( / w\)

Edit: Thank you, JBluewind, for those amazing thoughts ;o; I would love for that to be canon ;w;

Edited by yipyipbrrring

Ive a query: Do you have to repeat each task in the game everyday...?

Not if you don't want to - but you will have less stuff to choose from when decorating your house.

Happy new year to those who alredy have and to those who will have.

Here in germany it's now quater to 7 pm. Hope you enjoy and celebrate and have a got time. biggrin.gif

Thank you birdz for the wonderful artwork and information! So Ezer is ten.... That makes a lot of sense.

JBluewind, your headcanon makes a lot of sense as well. I'm pansexual and I love the idea of a LGBTQ+ characters in this game.

So, I was messing around with some items in my house and a Window accidentally got placed right in front of my door so when I enter my house it chucks me straight back out again. I've tried clearing my cache and it seems that the Window is there to stay. I can't even manage to click the Pencil to Edit in order to move or remove the Window:

I managed to get a screenshot of the problem:

user posted image

Can anybody offer any advice please or do you think that my decorating is over with? If that is the case that would be a big shame as I really wanted to complete my home and gather all of the house items sad.gif

Are you only able to have a certain number of items placed in your house? That didn't seem to be the case, but now every time I edit my house and walk back in, the newly placed items disappear.

*EDIT*

okay so I exited the game and came back in and some stuff I placed is back, except now there's a bed in front of the door that keeps chucking me out when I walk back in (I actually didn't even place the bed there). And I cannot begin day 7... Sorry for the complaints. Despite the bugs, the game has been pretty fun and cute when I finally figured out what to do!

Edited by Katiee

I didn't get all the items yet, but that's mostly because my game froze one day and I missed some quests.

I can finish that tomorrow.

I'm kind of decorating my house by breaking up the rooms. There's the bedroom, the living room, and the dining room. I like the Nulhora chairs because they look soft and cozy, and Nulhora beds have dragons carved into their posts, so somehow I mixed them with more elegant sets because I can't stand perfectly unified themes.

If I finish a previous day's quest today, does that mean I can't start today's quest today? Cause I've been going in and out of my house, refreshing like crazy, but the next part where I put the second ice piece in the temple won't trigger.

ETA: NVM It's finally working tongue.gif

Edited by forcryinoutloud

Does anyone know when the event will end? I want to make sure to get my house perfect before it does =)

Thanks to all the people who helped make this event! I had fun, even with a few glitches smile.gif

My favorite minigame was the sledding!

Hmm, I just came back from a vacation and I'm lost with the event. Can I make up for lost time or will the event end before I can collect everything?

Edited by cheese456

The event this year was wonderful and thoughtful. What great storytelling. smile.gif Thank you so much to the creative team behind this one this year. <3

Hmm, I just came back from a vacation and I'm lost with the event. Can I make up for lost time or will the event end before I can collect everything?

you should be able to finish up the event before it ends smile.gif

So, I was messing around with some items in my house and a Window accidentally got placed right in front of my door so when I enter my house it chucks me straight back out again. I've tried clearing my cache and it seems that the Window is there to stay. I can't even manage to click the Pencil to Edit in order to move or remove the Window:

I managed to get a screenshot of the problem:

user posted image

Can anybody offer any advice please or do you think that my decorating is over with? If that is the case that would be a big shame as I really wanted to complete my home and gather all of the house items sad.gif

I've seen two other people mention something like this happening, so I suggest creating a new Help thread for it (not putting it in general item glitches). Hopefully TJ can do something like add a "reset house decorations" button under the "reset location" button. It would suck to lose all your decorations, but at least you'd be able to enter your house and re-decorate.

Are you only able to have a certain number of items placed in your house? That didn't seem to be the case, but now every time I edit my house and walk back in, the newly placed items disappear.

*EDIT*

okay so I exited the game and came back in and some stuff I placed is back, except now there's a bed in front of the door that keeps chucking me out when I walk back in (I actually didn't even place the bed there). And I cannot begin day 7... Sorry for the complaints. Despite the bugs, the game has been pretty fun and cute when I finally figured out what to do!

Try entering your house, refreshing, leaving, and then entering again. Hopefully that shows your recently placed items. :3

Yes, you still have time to finish the story quest and collect all items (once you finish the story quest - which we just did today, you enter freeplay mode and can repeat minigames as often as possible to get all the items). The story quest you should be able to catch up on today if you have the time. Enter and exit your house (you might need a hard refresh) to prompt each day's new story quest. :3