TJ09

2016-12-25 - Festive Expeditions

Beautiful shading and colors on the adult.

Also it kind of looks like he has a smug look on his face. He probably doesn't, but in my mind he does.

SMUG SNOW.

Well, I had been hoping for a different colour scheme, but I like that smile on their faces. smile.gif

S1 hatchie is my favourite, I think.

Well done, artists, thank you!

I honestly didn't like the S1 hatchling much, but the S2 is very pretty. The 'snow' theme was obvious from the egg on though and I'm slightly disappointed that it was quite that predictable. And there's something awkward about the adult sprite. I feel bad saying that because it's very well done on the whole and I adore the color scheme. But I feel the same way about it as I do, say, Heartseekers - they're well done, yet something just looks off about the pose or maybe the proportions? Dunno. But I can't say I like the adults quite as much as I liked their egg, unfortunately. Still, they're very pretty and I'm looking forward to doing

Also, IMO, I think the 'lore females exist but we only get to have males' is a bad idea. It's going to lead to people asking for females in the future, not just for these but for other 'single sex' breeds. These are MAGICAL animals. They don't have to follow the rules real animals do. (And by the way, there ARE single sex animals IRL. All known ones are female, mind, but with magic involved there's no reason there couldn't be a singe sexed male species.) But obviously that's a moot point, so not trying to start an argument about it... just expressing my misgivings about it.

People already have asked for matching genders for single-sexed holidays, so lore isn't going to stop it. And shy female snows match with the generic holiday dragon description anyway. You only see them once a year, so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to never see or own a female snow dragon.

People already have asked for matching genders for single-sexed holidays, so lore isn't going to stop it. And shy female snows match with the generic holiday dragon description anyway. You only see them once a year, so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to never see or own a female snow dragon.

It wouldn't STOP it, but it can ENCOURAGE it and provide what seems like a logical argument in favor of it. And if anything, if they only appear once a year, why do we get males then? That logic seems to undermine us having holiday dragons at all rather than supporting any single-sex prevalence where both exist.

IMO the fact that all Christmas dragons share a single desc implies that they are in fact ONE species with variant breeds. So there's no need to invent shy females/males that no one ever sees.

On another note, completely shocked that I was able to name my pair CB Ornament and CB Bauble. Those weren't taken? Luck!

Edited by Lurhstaap

It wouldn't STOP it, but it can ENCOURAGE it and provide what seems like a logical argument in favor of it. And if anything, if they only appear once a year, why do we get males then? That logic seems to undermine us having holiday dragons at all rather than supporting any single-sex prevalence where both exist.

IMO the fact that all Christmas dragons share a single desc implies that they are in fact ONE species with variant breeds. So there's no need to invent shy females/males that no one ever sees.

On another note, completely shocked that I was able to name my pair CB Ornament and CB Bauble. Those weren't taken? Luck!

Whoops...I meant make it more plausible for people to ask. Can't say anything about the lore because they aren't my concept.

Ooohhhh! *stares at adult* Niiiiiiice.

I agree it seems to have a smug look on it's face, and it's standing so proud... I get a bit of attitude from the pose and I love it.

Also, IMO, I think the 'lore females exist but we only get to have males' is a bad idea. It's going to lead to people asking for females in the future, not just for these but for other 'single sex' breeds.

I think the good idea is to not have any single-gendered creatures in a game that's about breeding and lineage-buliding... moreover, in a game that is ALL about breeding and lineage building...

Lore females and lore males do make sense much more than no opposite sex in existence we have with those 2CBs-limited breeds... especially for the male-only breeds.

But this also adds to the standpoint that inability to get the opposite sex doesn't make sense at all, as we have Pinks, and as we get them as EGGs (so the opposite sex being too shy or sth to be met doesn't at all excuse OUR inability to influence our eggs and just of those limited breeds...).

I just wish females were released as CBs too then, not everytime 0 or just as 2gens(or raffle wins in case of Hollies)sad.gif I can't see any justification for that either, why unlineaged would make such a difference to lineaged...

The only thing 1-gendered does is limiting the lineage possibilities... completely excluding certain playstyles for these (after all DC is ALL about breeding, aside to collecting sprites, and the only possible lineage types for these are checkers, stairtsteps and messies; no room for proper arrowheads, PBs, pairing with a nicely matching sprite - coz it's of the same single gender,...)... I'm wondering how had this ever started, right now it's simply following what was started and made the playerbase used to this state of things... and people usually hate changes, so I guess we're pretty much stuck in this state of things...

Well, I don't understand why some people think the Snows are boring in terms of colours though, they are themed very well for the holidey they are to represent... why some people would rather see these not match their holiday theme? After all, all christmasy colour schemes are alsready in use (green, red, white/silver, azure +gold are the only colours bound to the winter holidays... usually as red-white-green, white-azure-gold +slight mixes and stuff, but any of those colours is pretty much a must... just like reddish and pinking are for the Valentine's...)

I hope next 2 female-only breeds will be azure-white-gold more or less too. If there are 2 males like this and no female (Solstices are azure-pink), again, certain lineage colours are impossible for holiday lineages while possible for the opposite sex...

Edited by VixenDra

I really like the horns! The contrast makes it easy to see them and they look soooo functional. This dragon is definitely my favorite of the holidays. smile.gif

If people wanted to shy away from the "females exist we just don't have them", I feel like the wording could just be played with... Instead of "females pick their mates," it'd in turn be "males woo their mates."

I don't know, just my two cents and what I got out of it honestly. Not my concept or anything, so I of course have no say in the matter smile.gif

Honestly, for me, a simple "You can't raise females of this breed" is enough of an answer. But then again, I don't care about the lore, just the pretty sprites.

Anyway, I quite like this one, really pretty. There's something in it that really screams christmas instead of just "winter" (maybe the golds and greens), and I appreciate that. He looks like he's wearing golden boots and I love that lol

Does anyone else only do the daily quests in Nulhora? I'm too lazy to go running through the bigger map and more time consuming quests of the other place, haha

Does anyone else only do the daily quests in Nulhora? I'm too lazy to go running through the bigger map and more time consuming quests of the other place, haha

I only did the story quest yesterday. CBA to do everyone else's errands - I was tired! tongue.gif

I only did the story quest yesterday. CBA to do everyone else's errands - I was tired! tongue.gif

I've only been doing the story quests for the past couple of days - haven't had time to do the others! I may try to do a few tomorrow, though.

Ooooooooooooh pretty! Thank you Infinis and TJ for a lovely Christmas dragon wub.gif

Do we know the name yet? And thank you too EscapistLore!

Edited by Naughtrish

Alright, I feel so dumb, but where on earth is the portal from the beach location back to the winter location (I forget the names, I apologize). I've been wandering around for 15 minutes and for the life of me I can't find it. There's one building that I can't go into (the doors just won't open) and I feel like that's it. Is there any reason I would be locked out? xd.png

Hi everyone! So, these are Snow dragons, and I'm the concept artist! They're called snows because of their mating rituals - the females choose the males who can make the best snow and ice patterns with their tails (the fur is stiff), and their feet are broad and flat so they can walk on top of deep snow.

Infinis will be adding quite a bit in to the Encyclopedia, I believe. ^.^

Here you go, Naughtrish. smile.gif

Alright, I feel so dumb, but where on earth is the portal from the beach location back to the winter location (I forget the names, I apologize). I've been wandering around for 15 minutes and for the life of me I can't find it. There's one building that I can't go into (the doors just won't open) and I feel like that's it. Is there any reason I would be locked out? XD

Here's a Map. You want to go to the building that says Teleporter in that map

Alright, I feel so dumb, but where on earth is the portal from the beach location back to the winter location (I forget the names, I apologize). I've been wandering around for 15 minutes and for the life of me I can't find it. There's one building that I can't go into (the doors just won't open) and I feel like that's it. Is there any reason I would be locked out? xd.png

Map to help with that. wink.gif

And I am loving the new dragon. I don't find his color boring at all. He just looks like a Snow dragon should. His stance is so proud and I love his expression.

Thanks EscapistLore for coming up with the concept and Infinis for spriting -- nice work. And thanks TJ for adding this lovely creature to the cave.

Edited by purplehaze

Oooh, I love the adults -! Such lovely sprites.

I'll admit I haven't started on the event mini-game. Is there any reward for completing it, does the badge change or anything? I just can't get into it this year with Christmas already over, and the character moves so slowly it's just a chore.