Sugar-Free

The Eternally Guilty Sun: Revival

"He's gotta star... and what does he want from us?"

He leaned to the side and brought his voice to a low whisper, “I don’t know...but he seems to be under the delusion that I’m here to pay him respects for...something, I’m not even sure. It’s true that Klepto had some share in watching over this painting-space, but the same could be said for any other creature here.”

He straightened up and directed his attention back to the bird.

“I don’t believe that’s any of your business,” said Ascension, regaining his resolve. “As a guardian of Shifting Sands Land, you owe myself and my followers access to the star you’re flaunting there in your talons. I wouldn’t be this brusque about it otherwise, but we’re currently facing off against forces far more dangerous than any this land has known in millenia.”

Klepto regarded him for a moment before a round of raucous cawing shook him, causing Ascension to startle at the noise. This went on for a bit before suddenly stopping, the condor fluffing himself out and bowing over the side of the pillar.

{“I. Won’t. Give away my star. In your old age, have you forgotten what my purpose is?”} He turned the star in the light, making it shine with a glare in the intense desert sun. Ascension had to angle himself for avoid being blinded by it.

“No, I haven’t. But petty squabbling over one’s placement isn’t going to help matters. Eos and Nix are on the rise! And if you think they were maddened ages ago, then I can assure you that their fury has only deepened. While Eos may retain some form of reasoning, Nix is far beyond our reach.”

He now offered a bow to the great bird, hoping that he could be made more reasonable than his siblings.

“Please. I will offer anything within reason for this. I must not allow their reign to continue!”

He heard wingbeats, a shadow obscuring him in darkness before passing. Ascension didn’t rise immediately, as such a move could be perceived as disrespect to a delicate ego. Klepto’s voice echoed out onto the plains.

{“A star for a star, then. I think that’s only fair, don’t you?”}

Something metallic dented the sand next to him, sending a puff of sand raining against his fur. As he looked up, the darkness descended onto him again—

--and two iron-solid cages slammed into his side, the world falling away from him at a dizzying rate. He could only watch in awe as the forms of Solar, Ratchet, Lightweaver and Valerie diminished into specks, losing all sight of them as he was taken into the core of the pyramid.

------------------------------------

Alex’s feet were in motion long before Ike had given them permission to.

She’d snuck in behind him as he’d entered, using his noisy splashing as a means to cover her own. Ducking off to the left, she’d taken a short set of steps up to where the pillars lined the main portion of the hall. No undead were currently occupying a space behind the nearest rightmost pillar, so she’d make a place there to watch the proceedings for the time being.

To her...surprise? Dismay?...she saw the familiar handy-hands and feet of the large silvery dragon up above, carry on its back some shade of dark grey and black. How in all that was fair and decent was it still alive?! And just when Alex had though the day was gonna go good...she huffed to herself and concentrated on the form instead. She eased out from cover with an ear in that direction, but she couldn’t head a single spoken word of magic. So...no evidence of their identity. That was fine; if they weren’t on her side, she’d drag them down and get nice ‘n personal.

Alex unclipped Ilyana and prepared herself for an encounter, but the dragon started to flee toward the stairs at the far end of the hall. Her mouth tightened at the corners in disbelief. It was...fleeing?! Alex smirked to herself—well, of course it would! It was obviously evil, right?—but she soon saw why. A horde of undead squished after it, but a dull rush came to meet them, bringing with it a great mass of water down the steps. Alex clipped Ilyana back to her hip with a peep and clawed at the pillar, bringing herself up it a good few feet as the torrent licked at the bottom of her coat. She grimaced as she was greeted to the smell of death.

That’s gonna take a few years to wash out.

When it subsided, she dropped back to the floor, watching as Link and Stormcatcher made bounds against the skellies and zambs. She took the opportunity to step into the fray, stopping only when she saw a blur of gold pass just over her. When his momentum brought him down and facing her, he gave him a severe scowl for it.

“AGH!! NAGA BE! Watch where you’re swingin’ that thing! I can’t afford to get a haircut!”

In turn, Ike offered her the same.

“So I should’ve just let those dogs make a meal out of your skull? I’ll remember that in the future.”

“Dogs?”

She looked behind her. And lo, there they were—four demon hounds splayed out on the ground in various degrees of disarray, the slices across their bellies and necks uniform with each other. She slowly turned back with her hands behind her.

“Ehehehe...heh..eh. What I meant to say was ‘Thanks, Ike! You the best! I didn’t just die because of you!’”

She held up a thumb with an apologetic smile. He just shook his head.

“Try to pay more attention to your surroundings from now on. That’s all the thanks I need.”

Ike gestured toward the stairs with a nod.

“Looks like we’ve got the upper hand for now. The enemy is retreating, and Link and Stormcatcher are doing a number on their ranks. Let’s clean up what they leave behind and make a path for the stairs.” Alex stood with her feet together, bringing up her hand in a mock salute.

“Righty-o, Capitan! You lead, and I’ll follow! Swing without abandon and I’ll keep your rear covered!” She pulled out Cereal Killer and took her place at his side. With a quick cant, the spellbook shuddered to life, emanating a seafoam-green aura.

“A word of advice: keep clear of Stormy’s front. He looks too agitated to make sure he’s not gonna fry you in one of his blasts. His flanks are weak, so we’ll need to support them when we’re able. Once the rest of the enemies are down, we can go on to the stairs.”

He affirmed with a nod and they were off, a whirlwind of destruction tinged in green and blue. Wherever their stood, the path cleared, and the battlefield went ablaze in their wake. In no time, the remnant scourge was brought to nothing, and the remnants scattered to whatever crevice they could find shade.

Just as the group came to the base of the steps, a ringing noise filled the air. Alex and Ike stopped and looked around, trying to divine the source.

“What was that?”

“I don’t know, but whatever it is, it doesn’t sound good. Keep your guard up.”

They waited. The ringing echoed and strengthened.

And the room was engulfed in purple-tinged light.

====================

“COVER YOUR EYES!!!”

The room bleached out to formlessness, Ike barely having the time throw up his arms to protect himself. The light cut through him, searing his nerves and breaking through his defenses to bite at his eyes. It seemed to vibrate the air around him, and there was a sensation that this light was not entirely...whole. It felt somehow...poisoned. There was a such thing as corrupted light magic in the form of tomes like Valaura, but this seemed different. He couldn’t tell immediately how, but this light seemed to belong to a purer presence...

The aura dissipated after what felt like an eternity, and after shaking off the lingering sensation of it throughout him, Ike looked outward.

“They’re...gone.

Not a single creature remained. There were black outlines of their existence, but otherwise, nothing. The hall was completely clear of water and bodies, and everything had fallen still. He jogged out into the middle of the room and looked down over the stairs, but there was nothing to be found. He returned to the others and informed them.

“I don’t know what just happened, but it cleared out the monsters for now. Let’s head up to the next floor with Soren and that dragon. He said he had an explanation for this.”

Edited by Sugar-Free

Lightweaver roared as the great bird snatched Ascension. The brown beastfolk was the best information source, and besides, she'd agreed to help him.

A spectral yellow glow formed over her scales, absorbing Light energy. There was plenty of it here, but yet it didn't quite feel right. Some of it felt more wrong, and she growled. Her power sought out the least wrong-feeling energy, but it still felt off.

As the condor fled, she sent a blast of white-yellow Light energy after it, before looking around to see whether the area was clear for takeoff. The sand was still going strong, though, and the bird had fled.... and then the cat started going after it.

---

Exactly what Solar had been thinking. She could definitely use some target practise....

"Swagger!' Solar leapt up, letting off a pulse of red energy and a spectral version of her that swaggered... hence the move's name. While she could use it silently, this, while more energy-consuming, tended to have better results when it came to accuracy.

"And how about a Will-O-Wisp?" With that, she formed a flame in her mouth, and spat it in the direction of the vulture, before getting ready to run after it.

But it was gone. Solar spat angrily and ran in the direction it'd flown in, Lightweaver following a distance behind her.

---

Stormcatcher hissed when the ringing began. His fin flared up, and he went tense, listening for the source of the sound. Louder - and louder -

- and then there was light. White with a purple tinge. A scream to cover his eyes. Stormcatcher's neck was too long for that, though -- and the light seared at his eyes. He bit back a cry of pain as the light washed everything out.

The energy almost felt... corrupted. It felt like ages before the aura was gone, but it faded away. He staggered, temporarily blinded by the light even as it subsided. Pain shot through his body as the spectral blue glow began again to restore the energy expended in battle, but it was faint and weak.

He could hear nothing until Ike spoke, saying that they were gone. The group or the monsters? He couldn't see to tell which one, and he snarled softly, angry that the light was blinding him. And then the Beorc spoke again. The monsters were gone, it seemed. Stormcatcher's vision was still filled with light, and he staggered along following the others' footsteps. Or at least, what he thought were their footsteps.

Edited by Dusky_Flareon

Shortly after the group had settled at what seemed to be the campsite, a creature appeared in the distance. Out of habit, Tyrande reached to her back, only to be reminded she didn't have her bow with her. Luckily, Alex and Ike handled it off, Ike taking the lead.

The creature seemed to be a young boy in green clothes, armed with a sword and a shield. Judging by this, she would like to assume that this boy, Link, was a rogue, just like her great friend and ally Maiev Shadowsong. Yet, shields were only used by Warriors and Death Knights, both of which wore heavy armor, unlike the boy. Ike obviously was a warrior and Alex had described herself as a spellsword, what seemed to Elune's chosen one as a mage that for some reason wanted to use a sword as well, but she really just couldn't see what Link was.

Alex had said that he wouldn't talk much so, not wanting to get a bad track record already, she decided to keep her questions for herself for at least a little longer.

Once they made it to the tower, Ike took the lead again. Usually she wouldn't follow orders from a non-Kaldorei who she didn't trust completely, but this man had already proven to be capable - and she agreed with the strategy.

When they were signaled to enter the tower, she was surprised to hear something almost completely sensible come out of Alex's mouth.

After a while of fighting, when Ike thought they were ready to go on, a bright flash of faintly purple light engulfed the room. It was a sickening kind of energy, unlike anything she'd ever felt before. Weren't the flow had faded, it seemed the monsters were gone.

((Retroactive Tyrande post and no Valerie post because I don't have enough time and writing on my phone is harder than I thought - lying on my side, in my bed, at midnight.))

Edited by Felixr2

Links gazed at stormcatcher, he had need a firm wall to put his back into, and it worked. Providing protection for him and some for stormcatcher. Turning his attention back to a wave of monsters he fended off a wave slicing skeletons in half before staking a step back. There was so many of them and they didn’t seem to slow.

Raising his sword above his head he brought it down, slicing some skeletons in half. Watching as the bones clattered to the ground after the cartridge split from the force of the blows. Pulling back, he aimed his blade at a set of zombies who were getting a little to close before thrusting it through to the hilt. Pulling back panic flooded him as his sword was stuck fast in the chest cavity.

AAAAAHHHHHHHH

Searing pain flooded through his shoulder as the other zombie latched on to his shoulder. Breaking away from its hold and forcefully hauling his sword free, with pain and adrenaline running through his system he cleaved the others head off its shoulders.

A small break was his only grace, a pain in his leg and now in his shoulder was the worst of the injuries. The one on his leg just burned and bleed but it had slowed down considerable, the other in his shoulder was a blinding white wall off pain. He didn’t have a moment to get his baring though as yet another group made their way over.

“COVER YOUR EYES!!!”

A white light tinged with purple blinded link for a second before his arm came up to shield his face. It burned, causing his eyes to water as he opened them back up.

“they’re…. gone” Ike’s voice rang out in the now empty room.

Glancing around link smiled, joy filled him that they all had survived.

Hhhiiiiiissssss

Smiling he turned to the stair with the intention of heading up. Walking slowly with a limp he turns to storm when he didn’t hear him coming. He watched as stormcatcher looked around, but he appeared as if he couldn’t really see. He must have been blinded by the light.

Hhhhhhmmmmmmm

Link chuckled a little as stormcatcher wobbly followed the people in front, he assumed that it was by sound since sight was out of the picture. But he didn’t hold his attention long as he spotted someone that he had not seen before. It was a woman with long hair and purple skin. She was beautiful in an exotic way, most hylians have white skin and brown black or blond hair.

Cocking his head to the side he stared at her for a minute in wonder.

I wonder if she friendly, it’s not like it would do any good even if she was. I couldn’t talk to her anyway.

Aggravation and slight depression as he turned and finished limping his way to the stairs. Turning half way up he sat for a minute, resting and taking inventory of his wounds.

Edited by Acornia

Swinging down--

Ascension's head swam, his eyes snapping around to find stillness. He found it when his shoulders smacked against grating, tumbling to his chest and only regaining his senses quick enough to see the door of a cage be closed above him. Tiny circles of light became his only windows to the outside, and he shimmied up onto his paws in the tiny space to look outside. All he could see was walls, grainy with sand and dilapidation. He grimaced with pain as a twinge went through his ribs as he shifted, but nonetheless pressed himself as close to the cage as possible, searching for any sign of familiarity.

"Hey...Klepto!!! Where are you?! Show yourself and free me this instant!"

His eyes scanned the perimeter. Beside the sound of sand falling in streams to somewhere below, it was all quiet. Ascension was on edge.

"Where are you?..."

CLANG!!!

{"You make a lot of noise for such a tiny morsel."}

He flattened his ears as he was assaulted by the clashing of nails against metal.

{"Don't worry, Stars' Chosen--I'm not going to eat you or some such barbarism. I'm due for a pedicure soon."} The sound of talons scraping talons a shudder run throughout him.

{"I want to find out what makes the Star Child tick. How does that sound?"}

That was all the convincing he needed. He began rapidly bashing against the side of the cage with Tackle.

"Anyone?! HEY! I'm here! I'm here!"

His breaths came in gasps as he thought back to the others.

"Solar! Lightweaver! Ratchet and Valerie! Somebody...help me!"

--------------------

Ike began to make his way up the steps, the ancient stone echoing as he climbed. He noted the others coming after: Tyrande's delicate footsteps, the soft pattering of Link's leather boots, Alex clomping up without any sense of quiet. But...one that was missing was that of Stormcatcher's--heavy, taloned and rattling the foundation below them. He waited until Alex started up next to him and grabbed her shoulder before she could pass. She looked back with confusion.

"Hmm? Whatcha need?"

"Go back down and help Stormcatcher," he said, "I think he may have gotten it worse than the rest of us."

She pouted at the idea.

"Ugh...but whyyyy~? I'm tired as it is already!"

"Because you and Link are the only ones he seems half comfortable around. Just guide him up the steps. It's that simple."

She held fast for a moment before slouching in relent and stomping back down to the lower level. He watched after her to make sure she went, then turned and went on his way. The second floor hung overhead, the staircase suspended freely as it ascended. It seemed nearly endless, but the ever-present blue ambiance radiating from the upper doorway was enough to guide him. He knew that, no matter how tired they were, they had to press onward.

-----------------------

((may add here))

Walking up the stairs, she heard Ike continue his command by telling Alex to help Stormcatcher.

"Greetings, Ike. I need to say that your leadership in this fight was truly formidable. I'm proud to have fought alongside you. And there aren't many warriors about whom I'd say that."

Thinking this was more than enough of a compliment for now, she walked back down the stairs a bit until she was walking besides the boy named Link. Now she was close, she noticed his ears, which were shaped... quite like Kaldorei ears. But his skin was obviously different... interesting.

"Hello, Link. I just noticed something peculiar about your ears... they look like mine, save for the fact your skin tone is different. I have never seen anyone with such ears before."

Edited by Felixr2

Lightweaver snarled, noticing the skies clearing up. Solar saw the great dragon ready herself to leap into the air, and jumped on her, latching onto the light dragon's back. The fins made it slightly awkward, but Solar was confident she had a good grasp. Lightweaver's wings were flapping slightly slowly, but her urgency had caused her to lose the glide usually present in her flight and power forth.

---

Lightweaver swooped down, and the Torracat let out a cry of suprise. Solar peered over the dark yellow body to catch sight of a pyramid, rapidly approaching.

THUD.

Lightweaver smacked into the pyramid with quite a bit of force, and dug her claws into its sides, inserting long talons between bricks.

{"I want to find out what makes the Star Child tick. How does that sound?"}

Clang. Clang. Clang-clang-CLANG!

"Anyone?! HEY! I'm here! I'm here!

Solar! Lightweaver! Ratchet and Valerie! Somebody... help me!"

Ugh. That... does NOT sound good. Her annoyance at the capture dissolved, and it was replaced by a sense that something was wrong.

First the capture, then the odd Light energy, and now this.

Lightweaver noticed a hole, and felt claws digging into her back - and then slightly on her neck. Of course. The cat was probably moving to see better..

She craned her neck towards the opening. It didn't seem big enough for her, but she felt the weight disappear - and Solar lunged into view.

Lightweaver watched as Solar disappeared beyond her line of sight.

---

Well, someone really wants to become target practise, huh?

Solar rushed towards the clanging, skidding to a screeching stop when she saw the cage and the condor. Solar wasn't too happy the condor had snatched Ascension, and was she ever ready for a fight. Sure, Klepto couldn't understand her, but...

"Hey, you. You picked the wrong Pokémon to snatch, so get ready to become target practise!"

With a hiss, she let off a Swagger before forming flame in her mouth and spitting a Will-O-Wisp at the condor.

Then she darted back a few steps, before racing towards Klepto again, flame cloaking her mouth.

"FIRE FANG!!" With that, she lunged and snapped her jaws shut.

---

The footsteps were loud. Whoever had come back for him, as if he needed it, was not bothering to be quiet. And then he realized who didn't bother with quiet.

Alex. The mage. She couldn't be trusted. No one who manipulated those elements could be trusted.

The great dark dragon swung his head around, attempting to triangulate where the sound was coming from, while cursing the light and the one that cast it. It took a bit, but he finally had an idea where it was coming from.

Stormcatcher turned towards where he thought the sound emanated from. It had better be the right direction... he wasn't too keen on making himself seem weak in front of... her.

She reminded him far too much of that dragon. That seafoam dragon.

The dragon hissed, bared his teeth, and shifted into a defensive pose. Then he spat his thoughts, making a guess on the element the Beorc used.

"I hear you, you know. Tell me, why aren't you trying to be quiet? Come to gloat and then attack while the other Beorc are gone and I'm injured, water mage?"

Edited by Dusky_Flareon

Cyil’s flight took them further up the stairwell and up to a room that opened into a hallway running horizontal. When she touched down, sending down a torrent behind for good measure, he steadied himself and looked down both paths. Both seemed to continue forward on both ends, but what could lie at their ends remained to be seen. The walls were largely featureless, but during their ascent, Soren had spotted more reliefs depicting dragons on the decorative pillars framing the entrance. He checked his belongings over once and twice and made to dismount. Cyil’s head turned to address him.

"Try not to draw too much on my magic, especially now that I'm using more power. It's not that I can't handle it, but it might corrupt you if you aren't careful. I've never had anyone become corrupted from drawing too much of my magic, but nevertheless the possibility is still there. You should take note of it."

...”corrupted?”

He leapt off her back and landed in a crouch, using Mend to ease himself up. Just being a slight distance away from her left him feeling woozy, but the prospect of being poisoned by mere adjacency made him more than a little wary. Soren dusted himself off and withdrew the notepad from earlier, taking down this new information under her section. His jaw became set tight as he felt throughout himself for any sign of aberration.

“How convenient of you to mention this only now.”

He cast a look of contempt over his shoulder, his eyelids low.

“I guess it doesn’t matter now; the damage could be done, the seed germinating in fertile soil...no wonder you were so willing to lend me your hand. And now? To feign some sort of concern as cover? Hah.” He waved a hand and turned back to his pad, giving the pen a quick inspection for a chip in the tip. He filed it away with his thumbnail and continued writing.

“You do enjoy your farces, Cyil. I expected no less. So tell me,” he said, “where exactly does this inherent ‘corruption’ come from? A willing subjugation of your charges? Or maybe a tragic blight on your bloodline?"

He spoke to the spirits and heard them answer, but they were still distant without the closeness from before. If need be he would turn her "favor" against her, no matter how "corrupted it could make him.

No matter what I may have thought...

He turned back to her.

"I think you owe me that much.”

Sitting on the steps Link turned his attention back to Stormcatcher, who at this point was still at the bottom of the stairs. A soft chuckle escaped his lips as Stormcatcher stood still, Link couldn’t tell if he wanted to attempt the stairs or wait till his vision cleared.

Yes, try to climb the stairs blind dragon. Give me something to truly laugh at. Just don’t get above me, I would hate to be squished by your fall

"Hmm? Whatcha need?"

Link looked back at the sound of Alex’s voice. Ike had his hand on her shoulder and as he had stopped her for something.

What ever it was she didn’t appear to happy about it at first.

"Ugh...but whyyyy~? I'm tired as it is already”

Ike's mouth moved but he still couldn’t hear what he said.

A smile played it’s way across his face though as he watched her stomp her way, non to quietly back down the stairs. Ike must have asked her to assist stormcatcher in making it up the stairs.

Hmmmmmmmm

Leaning forward, he slouched, putting his elbows on his knees as he watched with mild Interest.

Hm, well I’m glad you got picked to go help the pissy dragon. He looks like he doesn’t like you.

As she got closer, Stormcatcher crouched into a defensive poster, hissing something. He couldn’t tell what it was but it didn’t slow Alex in the least.

Did he just hiss at her, ahhhhhh we may have a charcoaled Alex.

Amusement danced across his face at the thought. He highly doubted Ike would let it get that far, as he seemed to be the leader of this group and doing a dandy job of holding them together.

The soft pitter patter of feather light feet brought his attention to his right. The woman from earlier had come up to talk.

"Hello, Link. I just noticed something peculiar about your ears... they look like mine, save for the fact your skin tone is different. I have never seen anyone with such ears before."

Link plastered on a smile, not quiet sure what to do. Patting the spot next to him, he offered her a spot.

Way to introduce yourself, no introduction there, just jumping right into what makes me different. Nice going.

Link gave a small sigh.

I don’t know why your trying to talk to me anyway.. It’s not like I can talk back. Besides where were you doing the whole fight, painting you fingernails in a corner somewhere, Because I didn’t see you.

Hmmm

You know what I don’t really care. Let’s talk, no wait, play charades.

Smiling again he laughed lightly at his internal comment. He didn’t know her that well but it wouldn’t hurt to attempt to make friends.

A slight rise and fall of his shoulders was all he gave for a shrug, mouthing a few words he hoped that by the silence that came out she would understand he didn’t, and for the most part couldn’t talk.

Haha

Hhhhmmmmm

Still, he smiled again and held out a firm hand to shake in greetings.

Edited by Acornia

Tyrande had expected the boy to respond regularly, but he didn't even talk. That is, his lips didn't move, but still Tyrande could hear something. Was she reading his mind?

Way to introduce yourself, no introduction there, just jumping right into what makes me different. Nice going.

The boy gave a small sigh. As she wanted to apologize, he continued... thinking.

I don’t know why your trying to talk to me anyway.. It’s not like I can talk back. Besides where were you doing the whole fight, painting you fingernails in a corner somewhere, Because I didn’t see you.

You know what I don’t really care. Let’s talk, no wait, play charades.

"Forgive me, I forgot to introduce myself. I am Tyrande Whisperwind, high priestess of Elune, leader of the Kaldorei. The reason I mentioned your ears is because your skin tone and hair color are those of the Sin'dorei. The power addicted descendants of our people, the corruption having changed their bodies. But you don't seem to share in their philosophy.

And I'm very sorry I couldn't do much to help during the fight, but Elune's Blessings don't reach to this place and when I was brought here my bow and my loyal mount were both left behind."

She didn't want to get into detail about what she HAD done in the fight, because she still felt quite guilty about it. About reaching to the shadows.

Edited by Felixr2

“And I'm very sorry I couldn't do much to help during the fight, but Elune's Blessings don't reach to this place and when I was brought here my bow and my loyal mount were both left behind.”

Link with drew his hand like he had been burned as he stared her in the face. It was uncanny how her words where so close to answering what he had thought.

Although she hadn’t said she could hear him, or read him mind, he had a sneaking suspicion that she just did. But that couldn’t happen, could it.

Turning at the waist before standing, he was almost face to face with her. She didn’t feel bad, maybe a little odd but that could be given from her odd skin color. And she had been polite to him.

You……. Can you hear me?

Link tilted his head to the side, she had his full attention and if she could read his mind, then she would have it for quite a while longer.

Please say yes Tyrande, please don’t let this have been a weird coincidence.

A deep breath helped to settle Link’s heart, which felt as if it were floating high and being squeezed lifeless. Nothing else matters and the center of his focus was her.

Hope and joy filled him, he was so unbearably happy. The prospect of being able to communicate with more that a game of charades was like a drug to him.

You can hear me can’t you. I swear to you, that if it was just a random coincidence I am never getting near you again.

He wait with a smile on his face, but his eyes had turned into steel slates. It would hurt to much to get his hopes just to have them crushed, but he felt that it was happening anyway.

At the mention of corruption, Soren leapt off her back, although she had expected no less. He immediately looked more exhausted, but he maintained a stoic expression nonetheless. She noticed he had also taken out a small notebook and was currently scribbling down something, likely a note on the new information she had given him. The only break he took was to spare her a look of contempt over his shoulder, eyes narrowed.

“How convenient of you to mention this only now.”

She remained quiet; this was a reaction she had expected. It didn't take long for Soren to continue, his tone as equally biting as his first sentence.

“I guess it doesn’t matter now; the damage could be done, the seed germinating in fertile soil...no wonder you were so willing to lend me your hand. And now? To feign some sort of concern as cover? Hah.”

Before she could interject, Soren turned back to his notebook and began to write once more, offering her no space for a reply.

“You do enjoy your farces, Cyil. I expected no less. So tell me, where exactly does this inherent ‘corruption’ come from? A willing subjugation of your charges? Or maybe a tragic blight on your bloodline?"

With his writing concluded, he turned back to her, disdain evident on his features.

"I think you owe me that much.”

Although there were no signs of monsters nearby, Cyil remained in her dragon form as she replied. It was partially for defense, in case Soren were to get aggressive, and partially to delay the exhaustion she knew she would face once she reverted to human form. She took a moment to organize her thoughts, careful not to reveal too much or offend Soren. He wasn't putting her in an easy position - it was either anger him or reveal the full extent of her bloodline, neither of which were favorable choices. There was only so much trust Soren would be willing to give, and she wasn't sure she had much of it left.

"The corruption will not proceed on its own if you cease to draw on my magic. I am not feigning concern, do you think that I would have told you this at all if I wished to corrupt you? Unfortunately, I do not know the true source of this corruption, nor do I have complete knowledge of how it works. I was simply informed of the possibility by a friend and I thought it pertinent to the current situation. I apologize for any alarm, injury, or discomfort my actions may have caused, both now and during the previous battle. If it pleases you, I shall depart at the earliest possible opportunity."

Her diplomatic mask was back on, and with it came a certain regal posture. Gone was the freedom of speech and movement she had displayed in battle. Now, she stood with a distinct composure and aura of nobility. It was of the utmost importance for her to indicate that she meant no ill will, as she would have to rely on Soren's trust for now.

How ironic it is that I must lie to maintain trust... I suppose I have my bloodline to thank for that.

...After all, I am a descendant of the Silent Dragon, am I not?

You can hear me can’t you. I swear to you, that if it was just a random coincidence I am never getting near you again. Link thought, now seemingly intentionally directing his thoughts at her.

"I can assure you that I can hear you."

Funny, how I can only hear that threat because it's irrelevant...

The boy seemed to give her his full attention and appeared to be rejoicing. Tyrande could understand that, as it seemed he hasn't been able to talk for Elune knows how long. Speaking of whom, how would she feel, unable to even stand among her people? And now, without her around, Elune had even lost her main means of communication.... here was hoping the lesser priestess could replace her for the time being. But she had faith in them.

"You said you can't speak? For how long has that been?"

((I think Tyrande is a bit taller than Link... did he walk a (few) step(s) up the stairs?))

The great condor gave the cage a shimmy, delighting in hearing the fruitless mewling of the tiny fox inside. Klepto didn't typically revel in the profane, but something had seemed to...change recently. Even being in the false-light of the desert dazzled him with thoughts of the Stars' power, far beyond that of just the mere Power Stars. Being this close to true godliness had been only something of a pipedream--a fantasy to occupy his time. But now that he had freed himself of his most prized possession for a superior trade, his claws were empty. A veritable playground of intention.

He scraped his talons again in anticipation.

A thud reverberated through the pyramid, knocking loose excess sand. Klepto fluttered a bit to steady himself, and spied what looked like some sort of black and red cat-thing come through the window entrance. It started making strange phonetic noises at him--he recognized the sounds from earlier, one of Ascension's guards. He hissed and flapped his wings, rising to shoo off the intruder. As he approached, the cat returned the hiss and spat at him, and his senses went blurry and wild. He squawked and backed off, shaking his head to attempt to clear it--

{"You cretinous cur...what did you--CKAW!!!"}

A stray flame from nowhere grazed his face and wing, and as the confusion cleared, he saw what appeared to be a flame-ridden maw dart out from the haze, latching onto his shoulder and bringing him plummeting to the ground. The two hit with a smack!, and the pain rattled the bird to his core--never had he been so forwardly assaulted!--but he wouldn't be derided so easily. No, no...not when the true Star was in his grasp. Not to this mangy creature!

{"Damn you!!! I held my end of the bargain! I will NOT give up my star again!"}

He brought his feet up underneath it and dug his talons into its soft underbelly, heaving it forward and flinging it onto the floor. Once he'd found the sentience to stand, he dashed forward and jumped, bringing down a clawed swipe with a shriek.

--------------

Alex's footsteps fell heavy and careless, her spirits waning as she humored the prospect of having to drag a half-livid and entirely cumbersome dragon all the way up the stairs after already having climbed them halfway. She didn't really mind toiling with Stormy, though, 'cause that meant more time for them to bond, right?

She saw his turquoise-black body swaying around at the bottom of the steps. When she got close, she was greeted to his signature short-circuit hissing and a defensive posture. Though dragon faces weren't overly emotive, she could make out the malicious grimace forming creases all along his muzzle and forehead.

"I hear you, you know. Tell me, why aren't you trying to be quiet? Come to gloat and then attack while the other Beorc are gone and I'm injured, water mage?"

All the fatigue left Alex. Her bottom lip tucked under her top and she stamped a foot in indignation. The nerve of this lizard! Did he have anuses for eyes or something?!

"Uh, ex-cuuuuuse you, princess, but I am NOT a water mage! Those aren't even a thing where I come from! Only speshul snowflake poser mages try to tell people they can honestly use an element not supported in the Trinity of Magic!" She placed her hands on her hips and leaned in close, "Bruh, I'm a 'Grandmaster'. Yanno, a swordy-mage? Couldn't wield a staff if I wanted to? And certainly doesn't use this...completely fake and for liars 'water magic' you speak of." She wiggled her fingers for emphasis. Sure, those Corrins could do that sort of thing, but when one is a flying hand-deer, one didn't ask questions! Alex preferred waving Ilyana in their faces until they'd leave. Corrins weren't people, anyway.

She took a second to compose herself with a breath, then flashed her biggest smile. Thinking of Corrins made her feel empty. She didn't want Storm to see that.

If he could. Which was unlikely.

"'sides, Ike asked me to assist you up the steps. I don't see much reason for deception, now, do you?"

Without waiting for a question, she made to take Stormcatcher's mantis claw in her arms to pull him along, but noticed a sizeable bite mark on his...actual...arm? She winced in sympathy and skittered closer for a better look.

"H-hey! Stormy, you look like you got bit something good there! Here," she rifled through her coat and pants until she found the pouch with the Elixirs inside, placing it at her teeth and pulling out the cork from the cerulean glass. She then fished around until she found a handkerchief and stood expectantly, her voice ringing with genuine concern.

"Kneel down a bit for me. I can treat your wounds for you." Alex clenched the hanky and set her face in a display of resolution.

"Even if you're not a commander or a healer, it's important to check up on your army and staunch their wounds as soon as possible. And since you're such an important part of my army, I'm going to demand that you let me tend to you before we head up!"

Edited by Sugar-Free

"I can assure you that I can hear you."

Relief flooded through Link like a flood gate had burst open. So it was true, he had someone to talk to. And he could see she was curious about him. But another emotion, one akin to worry, seemed to co from her subtly. As if a few fleeting thoughts got to her.

"You said you can't speak? For how long has that been?"

Leaning in he wrapped her in a quick hug before answering her question. It was mostly for him and his joy but she could use it to. Actually everyone here could but it wasn’t advisable with some. Alex and possibly Ike would return it, but he didn’t think stormcatcher would let him close enough to hug him. Not that he would want to hug him.

Sorry , that just the best news I’ve ever heard.

As for not talking.

Link paused for a moment, as if in thought

Ummmm

let me see, I’m 17 now so maybe for about 10 years. I was pretty young when I stopped talking.

Curiosity started to bubble in him though, and slight fear that this may not be permanent. But at least Tyrande seemed very nice, so if it wasn't, he felt would hang around.

Taking a step back he looked at the ground, scuffing the stair with his boot.

So is this permeant or……

Nevermind, I'll take it for what it is. A miracle!!!

By the way, why do you have purple skin. All hylian's have white skin, so that you look weird or anything, very pretty in fact. Just wondering?

((((I would have thought that they were on the same step, although I have Link in my mind at about 5'3". So he's short and young.))))

Edited by Acornia

Solar howled when the claws dug into her belly, throwing her off the condor. Blood splattered as she slammed into the ground.

A shriek came from above, and a claw swooped down.

The Torracat barely dodged the worst of it, but blood oozed down the side of her face.

Some deal... and I'm not just going to stop here.

She took advantage of the fact that his leg was still near the ground to light the flames in her mouth and snap at it, intending to hold fast if the condor's leg ended up between her jaws.

----

Whatever was going on in there, it sounded like a fight. Especially given what the bird was saying. Lightweaver growled, annoyed that the window was far too small. She was curious about precisely what was going on in there....

----

Stormcatcher snarled as he realized he was being berated again. By a wind user. Alex had pretty much confirmed what element he'd watched her using...

"Wind mage then. Now I know why you remind me of that lying snake Windsinger.

But it doesn't matter. Water, wind, users of those elements can't be trusted! You seem to think Water magic is a lie. Typical lying Wind user!" The blinded dragon ranted.

Assist him up the steps? Stormcatcher snarled and pulled back, not wanting to seem weak. Not wanting help. Wind users would be friendly to your face, but they were lying.

Lying.

The dragon backed up hissing at the request for him to kneel down. His claw slipped on something, and he let out a cry as he barely righted himself, before snarling again. He didn't need help. Especially from that Beastclan. The dark dragon bared his teeth. Light still clouded his vision, and it made him uneasy. His tail twitched, scraping against the ground.

Edited by Dusky_Flareon

A miracle... Or the arts of the Cabal. Right now she couldn't tell which one it was, but she feared it was the latter. But didn't the luck of this boy justify the use of the dark arts? If Link wanted her to read his mind, then why would it be bad to do so?

Her skin. Here was a chance to tell this boy more about herself.

"That's very simple. I'm not a hylian - nor have I ever heard of the word. From the other people here, I've understood we're mostly from different worlds. On Azeroth, I've been the leader of the Kaldorei - the night elves - for thousands of years already. All night elves look like this... except my husband, Malfurion, the archdruid. He is more muscular and has antlers and wings, although he can't fly, unlike his brother, Illidan, who currently is more demon than night elf, sadly."

Normally she wouldn't have even considered saying this, but being able to read one's mind made it that much easier to trust them.

You know I probably should have gotten more from that, but the only thing I got was your…..

Really old.

Fiddling his hands, Link looked back up and then to Stormcatcher and Alex. Stormcatcher was backing away from her but Alex didn’t seem to see his reluctance to having her touch on him.

Glancing back to Tyrande a small pang of guilt and embarrassment came from his previous statement.

Uuuuuummmmmmmm

Sorry, I’ll try to keep my thoughts in check.

Link paused in his movements as a thought from her previous statement caught his attention.

So wait, your like royalty. I’m so sorry I didn’t mean to insult you.

Bending at the waist he gave a small bow., Letting his hair fall into his face before straightening back up. Taking a couple of steps back he gestured up the stair as a distraction to his rudeness.

So you seem like something has been bothering you, want to talk about it as he walk. Although I’ll be a little slow.

He held his leg out for the blood crusted pant leg to be seen before he started up the stairs, glancing over his shoulder he waited for her to caught up.

Edited by Acornia

The next floor grew nearer and nearer with each step. As he climbed, his thoughts crept to Soren and the dragon who he'd accompanied. Soren had said they were coming down to the last reserves of their energy, and he was worried about both of them. He had faith in the dragon protecting him, and didn't worry about Soren remaining with them in his absence, but he would feel more at ease once they'd all sat down to talk about the day's proceedings. The most pressing one to Ike was how their partnership had formed and, more importantly, lasted up until now. Was it possible that he'd--?

His thoughts were halted by he sound of footsteps behind him. He stopped his ascent and stepped down with one foot, pivoting to see Tyrande below.

"Greetings, Ike. I need to say that your leadership in this fight was truly formidable. I'm proud to have fought alongside you. And there aren't many warriors about whom I'd say that."

Ike was surprised. While gratitude from someone of Tyrande's ranking was either manipulative in nature or simply bland obligation. But coming from her, it felt more genuine and well-meant. He offered back a smile.

"Thanks, Tyrande. That means a lot coming from you. I'll make sure to keep up that impression. I'm glad you chose to stick around with us through everything."

With both in mutual agreement, they turned and parted. Ike began his climb again, a familiar voice drifting to his ears as he neared.

-----------

Soren listened.

He listened and heard her well, every bit of every word that she spoke. Soren listened and understood.

It only managed to make things worse. Her ignorance toward her own ailment, her means of learning of it, her tacked-on apology...faced with this at any other time, Soren would indulge in a bit of deprecating humor at such a trite display. It was nonsense, all of it. What exactly did she make of him? That he was a bleeding-heart who would just blithely accept whatever she told him, so long as she said it with feigned sincerity? He was tired of it, her omissions. Her lies. And now that he knew of her deception, he wanted her gone.

Spare me. You’ve done enough. As far as I’m concerned, from here on out, we are finished.” He thrust out an arm and pointed sharply toward the doorway.

“Excuse yourself down the stairs. I’ve made my use of you. I’ll make mention of you to my commander, and once this whole situation concludes, you’ll be rewarded for what little service you provided, allowing that you’ve survived.”

Soren made a note out to the side and concluded his writing, slipping the book back down into its place.

“Begone.”

He stared into the flat plane where her eyes had been. A place where red had once reflected, now hidden behind a featureless veil--removing any discernible, exploitable expression.

And waited.

...he heard footsteps. Heavy. Familiar. He took his eyes off her, falling instead to the form of Ike entering the room. Assured by his presence, his gaze went back to Cyil.

“Commander.”

--------------

Now that Ike was closer, he could make out the particularly venomous sting of Soren's command. To his dismay, it sounded as though tensions were rising, and that their seemingly-amicable partnership was falling apart fast. When he breached the door, he expected the worst to greet him.

Ike bore witness to Soren and the dragon standing facing each other, their attention set squarely and immovably on each other. It wasn't until he entered Soren's peripheral vision that he even regarded him, and he noticed immediately the level of agitation reflecting in his face. After a quick assessment over him, likely for wounds or other blemishes, Soren returned his focus to them.

“Commander.”

Formality; something Soren would forego with him even in company. Its presence was a certain sign of his discomfort. Ike looked between them questioningly. They'd seemed to have worked together well previously. He wondered what had changed.

Ike strode up to Soren's side, keeping watch of the dragon just out of range. They didn't seem to be showing aggression, which was especially perplexing juxtaposed with Soren's demeanor, but it was hard to tell given that their face was entirely unemotive. Soren was completely different--his arms were held tight to his sides, his hands grasping at the spine and covers of a tome, and his stance was upright and rigid all over. To the inexperienced, it read as normal, but Ike knew. If he wasn't careful, even the slightest provocation would break his calm.

"I heard something about being forced to leave and payment in some form. Care to explain what's going on to me?"

The mage seemed to contemplate whether he'd comply. After a moment, he moved to face Ike. It was up close where the stress showed the most evident. Something had him rattled. It was going to take some patience until he found out just what that was. He shrugged, closing his eyes for asecond before reopening them.

"Simple: I told our associate here that we no longer required her assistance. As I only needed her long enough to endure the tower, I personally see no reason to unduly burden ourselves with another mouth to feed and bed to supply. Since you did not oversee any official employment, I can provide whatever payment from my personal coffers."

Ike eyed him steadily. Something wasn't right here. Yes, his cold, professional handling of the situation was typical for him, but Ike could distinctly hear the malice laying like gossamer in his voice. He didn't let emotion rule his decisions. But this wasn't some simple management of assests for Soren, oh no. This was personal. He glanced over at the dragon--her, evidently--quickly.

"We're already tending to one dragon. I don't see how another would be an issue." Ike folded his arms and shifted his weight to his right foot.

"This isn't about something else, is it?" Soren diverted his eyes, his expression remaining drawn.

"Just closure on a verbal contract. Nothing more. She did aid me; it would be in poor taste to spit upon her good will."

"That's true. Then would you mind if I spoke to her before she goes?"

Soren sensed Ike's true intent and brought a hand to the satchel's strap, clutching it tightly and shutting his eyes tight. When they opened, though it may have been a trick of the light, a flash seemed to sweep across the pools of red, accentuated by the deep fall of his brows together.

".............by your leave, then."

He turned and headed down the adjoining hall to the right. By the pointed clop of his boot heels as he went, Ike knew he'd angered Soren beyond reasoning. Though it gave him no joy to do so, the solitude after being paired for so long with someone he didn't know would be beneficial for him. Soren seemed to exhaust quickly when he spent an extended amount of time around others, and no doubt was suffering from a fair bit of stress for it. He would take scheduled amounts of time to unwind by himself, usually during dinner and much to the chagrin of Mist and Oscar. Even Ike rarely ever intruded on these periods, though it never seemed to bother him when he did.

He would go to check on him later. For now, there was this dragon to attend to. Whatever she had done or said had inspired ire in his strategist, and even if it was likely unintentional, he wanted to get things sorted properly. He stood in front of her where he thought she could see him and set his hands on his hips.

"I believe our introductions are well overdue, so I'll just cut right to the chase. I'm Ike, and I'm sure you've already acquainted with Soren. Who do I have the pleasure of speaking with?"

-----------

Klepto's leg snapped.

A peal of blood-curdling anguish rent through the pyramid, vibrating the sides of the cage and passing into the tips of Ascension's fur. He closed and eye and pressed close, seeing a blur of red painting the floor. Klepto's wings buffeted in vain as he tried to right himself, but the arc of singed punctures along his shoulder rendered him flightless. It seemed like Solar had the upper hand, but he knew well enough about Klepto. He knew he didn't fight when fulfilling his original goal, but he was tenacious. What struck Ascension was just how vitriolic he was acting. The condor was usually docile and, while clingy to his possessions, knew the role of his existence in the great scope of things. This...this was unnatural. As he watched the bird kick and swipe with his still-functioning leg, his beak snapping at and pulling Solar's flesh up in tents, he was reminded of the images of the twisting figures of his siblings hat had plagued him in his 4000 years of undeath. The way the black vulpine shade broke and warped into a formless miasma, and how the tainted light vulpine pulsed with a poisoned glare until bursting--

Ascension sensed it. The light. Not visible, only as a latent haze. His skin buzzed, like sensation returning to numbed limbs.

E...Eos...?

He ignored the sound of struggle, turning in place to smell for the scent of his sister's bloodied fur. His head moved in increments, trying to pinpoint her presence, but found nothing. Nothing but her celestial aura. He grimaced, turning in the cage over and over, causing it to rock, but to no avail. He dropped to his stomach and looked out again.

Was this your doing?...spreading your blight to anything your brilliance touches...did you do this to Klepto?!

"Solar, you have to knock him out, quickly! He's under Eos's control and neither of us can save him! Don't worry about his health; just focus on taking him down, no matter what it takes!!"

With that, he focused himself inward, trying to feel for his power. He needed Vaporeon's fluidity--scorching the metal would only cause harm to himself. As he breathed and closed his eyes, he felt and felt, feeling a glimmer of the cool of water deep within. But as gladdening as this was, it only served to press the weight of a dawning realization on him.

If I can sense Eos at this meager attunement...then...how powerful has she become...?

Edited by Sugar-Free

“Spare me. You’ve done enough. As far as I’m concerned, from here on out, we are finished."

"Excuse yourself down the stairs. I’ve made my use of you. I’ll make mention of you to my commander, and once this whole situation concludes, you’ll be rewarded for what little service you provided, allowing that you’ve survived.”

He gestured sharply towards the stairway, eyes cold as steel.

“Begone.”

She nodded respectfully in his direction, turning towards the stairs. He hadn't believed her, but it had been worth a try anyway. Before she could take another step, a familiar patch of blue hair revealed itself over the stairs, accompanied by a set of distinct, heavy footsteps.

...Ike?

How had he cleared the monsters so fast? She had seen others fighting alongside Ike, namely the same Robin she had met earlier, but it was impossible for the group to defeat all the monsters that fast. Still, she couldn't think of any other way for them to dispatch the monsters beside old fashioned battling. Perhaps... they were really that strong?

“Commander.”

Soren's speech drew her attention back to him, although he appeared to retain the same icy demeanor he displayed previously. Ike seemed to take notice of this and cast her a questioning look before making his way over to Soren. They were just out of earshot, but she could catch snippets of their conversation. Judging by Soren's stance and tone, whatever Ike was telling him was displeasing. He headed off after a few moments, leaving her alone with Ike.

She almost wanted to ask him if he was the same one she knew.

Almost.

This - this is foolish.

The chances are next to nothing, it's impossible, I shouldn't be hoping...

...and yet, I can't seem to help it.

"I believe our introductions are well overdue, so I'll just cut right to the chase. I'm Ike, and I'm sure you've already acquainted with Soren. Who do I have the pleasure of speaking with?"

With a few words, Ike eliminated all possibility of familiarity. But somehow, it didn't bring the despair that she expected. In fact, it was somewhat... reassuring. He was exactly as she remembered, even if he was not the same person she once knew. She wasted no time replying to him, even if she did hide her emotions.

"I am Cyil. This may be a bit surprising, but this is not my usual form. I tend to assume this form for difficult battles, but seeing as there are no monsters nearby, I shall cease my transformation. It would be impolite and inconvenient to continue speech in this manner after the danger has long since passed."

Letting the information sink in for a moment, she allowed the energy surrounding her to dissipate after making sure Ike was adequately prepared. Immediately, a soft blue light enveloped her, a strong contrast from the sharp light her dragonstones usually emitted. Underneath the glow, scales melted away, replaced by pale skin and silver armor. Her clawed limbs shortened, becoming familiar black-gloved hands and bare feet. It didn't take long for her to return to a completely human state, remnants of blue still floating in the air around her.

Instantly, she was hit with a wave of exhaustion, causing her stumble forward onto one knee. She shot out a hand to steady herself before regaining her composure and pushing herself back onto her feet. It was impossible to disguise the moment of weakness, but she was determined not to show any further signs of fatigue. Although her muscles protested against the strain, she forced herself to maintain a perfect posture and neutral expression.

"My apologies if that was startling. If I may inquire, how did you dispose of the monsters so quickly? There was quite a number of them down there."

Ascension called out to the Torracat to take out Klepto, and she noted that. Hopefully... without death... and then the condir's claws raked again, and his beak stabbed.

Gah!

Solar snarled in pain as the attack hit, before using Swagger once again, and following that up with two bursts of Will-O-Wisp.

She hissed before lunging with snother Fire Fang, and following that with two more in quick sucession. Then shw took a swipe with her claw. By now, she could smell blood. Her blood and the condor's blood.

"Wind mage then. Now I know why you remind me of that lying snake Windsinger. But it doesn't matter. Water, wind, users of those elements can't be trusted! You seem to think Water magic is a lie. Typical lying Wind user!"

Stormcatcher's tone was growing especially biting to Alex's emotional state. Something about his assertions about her raked at her insides, dragging out her façade in bits and pieces. A shift in perceptions and she stopped hearing the dragon for a moment, his voice replaced with another's but the scorn remaining the same:

...all those people, and you'd forsake them over and over for your own grief...to think that they called you 'hero'...tch, so typical. Self-interested Robin...

Her eyelids trembled, struggling to open and force away the blackness she'd fled to. It was easy to take that route whenever those words plagued her, and had she been elsewhere but here, she would have. She wanted to remain raw to that pain, the scalding burn of her damnation from that person...that woman...

But she couldn't. Not right now; maybe later, when she could escape their eyes. No matter how much it hurt, and no matter how safe and empty it made her, she couldn't just yet. Stormcatcher wasn't some mere phantom of her regrets, and he knew nothing of her or what she'd done. He was perfectly alive. Tangible. Blissfully unaware. And she was going to keep it that way. She owed him that much. It was that much even someone as useless as her could provide.

She looked around, making sure Link and Tyrande were out of earshot. Once she was certain of this, she exhaled and looked the dragon set in the eyes. No more of her previous self remained.

"Look here, Stormcatcher," she said sternly, "I'm done playing this game with you. You can distrust me; that's fine and good with me. You've got a better reason to do so than I'm sure you even realize, I can assure you of that," in one clean move, she situated both held items into her left hand, holding out the Levin Sword directly in front of her. She felt her sleeve pull down, and for a moment, she regarded that blamed mark that resided there--six eyes arcing upward together, staring back at her. She scoffed quietly and went back to Stormcatcher. That didn't matter anymore.

"To you, I could be a liar, and I might even be a cheat and a murderer. You probably couldn't count on me to tell you the time of day; I bet you're sure I'm dying to plant this Levin Sword in you the moment you turn your back on me. Hell, I might just take this little moment of brevity between us and slit that belly of yours, pull that stubborn stuffing right out of you just to prove a pont. But you know?" She flicked her wrist. The sword flickered and buzzed with renewed energy, the glow illuminating Alex's features.

"You don't get to make that assumption. Not now, not when I haven't even had the chance to give you that inclination. I'd be more than happy to let you condemn me all you like if you could give me just a little evidence that I deserved it, and I look forward to the day that may come. But," Alex twirled the blade and connected it at her hip. The blade faded back to darkness, and Alex took up the handkerchief into the open hand.

"Until then, you better had a damn good reason to run your gob at me for it again."

With such severity draining her resources, he face tensed before relaxing to sympathy. Still, no smile came to fill out the hollows of her face.

"I'm not trying to demean you or act like you're less than me, or whatever else you might think I'm thinking. All I want to do is help. I know I'm not your friend, and that's fine, but you're mine. I don't like seeing you hurt. I...don't like seeing anyone hurt..." If it wasn't for the absence of feeling, Alex was sure she'd be a mess by now. She thanked her coping mechanisms for taking pity on her. She offered up the the Elixir and hanky again.

"So...can you just...do what I asked? Everyone's waiting on us...and wounds that are left to the elements tend to...fester..."

Her voiced trailed off.

----------------

Being as close as he was now caused the incredible contrast between the dragons he knew and this one to strike him quicker than before. Even though she was closer to Stormcatcher in body structure than the laguz, she was distinctly different in almost every other way. From the shape of her head, the segmented scales making up her armor, her color and wings...it awed him on many levels just how different they were. He wondered how she was capable of the water manipulation from earlier, provided it was her doing it, along with many other subtleties that his mind ran through, unable to properly voice at the moment. If he didn't ask her, or she didn't say, maybe Soren would be able to illuminate them for him.

She was quick about her answer to his question, but he saw...something like hesitance just before. He didn't know what it could possibly be.

"I am Cyil," she said, causing him to note the odd distortion in her voice, "This may be a bit surprising, but this is not my usual form."

So...more like the laguz in that manner. He found his previous surprise fortified; given Soren's...reservations...and assuming he'd seen her transformation in person, he was now even more amazed at his cooperation not just with her, but as her passenger. There had to be more to it than just action out of desperation. He knew it.

"I tend to assume this form for difficult battles," she continued, "but seeing as there are no monsters nearby, I shall cease my transformation. It would be impolite and inconvenient to continue speech in this manner after the danger has long since passed."

Ike braced himself for what would come next. Bearing witness to transformations was nothing new to him, but there was an odd sensation of dissipation in the air around him as she fell quiet. A soft blue glow emanated forward--not enough to assault his eyes like the previous had--engulfing her form and hiding it from view. He felt a gentle waft of energy stir his clothing and hair, and within moments, the image of a petite woman emerged, banded in armor that seemed eerily consistent with her previous scales and carrying what looked like a round-ended toothed sword. While that in itself lent itself to plenty of questions, there was something else that bothered him about her. Not really "bothered" so much as shocked him once it set in what it was.

She had black hair and red eyes.

While that by itself meant nothing, Ike ran through all the people that he'd met so far and came to the same conclusion--there was only one other person he knew who bore those features. Coupled with skin that looked as though it'd never so much as been touched by errant sunlight, the uncanny resemblance between her and Soren was a little unnerving. Those features were not typical fare, neither here nor in his own home. And seeing as she seemed to hold herself with a sense of propriety similar to, but certainly not the same as Soren...he wondered if that was where the similarities would end.

So quickly after thinking this, he was proven incorrect. Cyil fell forward onto her knee, causing Ike to instinctively jolt forward to help her, but realized she may not appreciate it like he'd expect. To no surprise at all, she didn't ask him for assistance, instead standing back up on her own, keeping herself perfectly, almost painfully aligned in all aspects. Just seeing this display reminded him of the past, the years over which he had worked to get Soren to let down this very same compulsion. Maybe it was just the discomforting association he was making with the mage and her, but he still felt a twinge of anger and sadness at it.

But--and this was the only thing that had seemed to save him during those trials--unlike Soren, she didn't seem to care too much about how he perceived her falter.

"My apologies if that was startling. If I may inquire, how did you dispose of the monsters so quickly? There was quite a number of them down there."

Just like that, back to business, eh? He rubbed at the back of his head and looked toward the steps. It sounded like Tyrande and Link, from the footsteps, but they were still too far for him to see. He then looked back at her, a thought occurring to him.

"You didn't see anything? That must mean it didn't reach up here..." He considered what that could mean, but focused on giving a straight answer for now.

"To make a long story short, I and the group that was with me were able to cut their numbers down enough to make them retreat. We would've just finished them ourselves, but some strange light destroyed everything remaining but us. I thought it might have come from above, but it seems like that isn't the case. At least, for this floor, anyway." He reached up and rested his hand on Ragnell's hilt, giving Cyil a look over. He could see the light tremor of fatigue at her bare ankles and her fingertips. He wanted to be quick about this.

"The others should be coming soon. I'm sure they'll introduce themselves to you, but don't be alarmed by what they say. They've all been taken from their homes and subjected to the weather, and they've all been fighting since they arrived. They might be a little abrasive, but they're all friendly." He gave her a knowing look, hoping it would translate how he meant for it to.

"So...maybe you should sit down for awhile while we wait."

Tyrande lightly smiled as link was clumsily apologizing for saying she was old.

"Don't worry, don't you think I've gotten used to hearing that already?"

Then Link mentioned what she had feared he'd notice. Then again, she could read his mind, he had no more secrets for her... it was his right to get an honest answer from her.

"So you noticed... I... already told you I arrived here devoid of any weaponry. But I still am a priest, and I can use some powers without weapons. But... this battle... I did something I shouldn't have. In order to defend myself, I used spells designated for shadowpriests. The arts of the Cabal... I can't believe I went that far."

She didn't tell him that she suspected the mind reading powers were from the same source.

Alex went silent for a while, and Stormcatcher tensed, claws ready. Ready in case he felt something. Then he heard her exhale.

She started with being finished with his game, eliciting a a quiet, angry hiss. He had reason beyond what she spoke of. Reason... and then he was snapped out of it by a low scoffing.

The Beastclan went on, and now the dark dragon shifted warily. A low buzzing only added to his unease. His msntis claw twitched.

Now she was saying he didn't get to make that assumption -- no.

No.

She spoke of needing a reason. He had a reason. A reason. A reason.

His eyes seemed to fade, and the last of her words about having a reason faded... replaced by the past.

---

Water. Wind. Earth. Fire. The gods warred.

The young dragon didn't yet know what the warring dragons were - gods. The gods who reigned. It had been born from the battle. Just born. But already, it felt frustration at the devastation. It felt the earth beneath its black claws.

There were two dragons watching it, eyes narrowed, and flashing. The young dragon looked up to see them. The duo had their claws sunk into one another, and they were watching the interruption. A low hiss emanated from the blue one as the seafoam one uncoiled itself from it.

"What... is this?!"

The young dragon looked towards them.

"A threat." Instantly the blue dragon was snarling. It loomed over the black one, a claw raised. And now the claw was coming down.

"W... what?" The black one mewled. The blue one didn't stop, slamming into the darker dragon with such force it was hurled into the ground.

The rage of war was in the blue's eyes - and in the seafoam's eyes, too. The seafoam one shrieked, before bearing down on the obsidian one.

"No... no! W-what did I do?"

Another nightmarish shriek, and water magic joined the fray. The black one let out a wail before letting off a pulse of lightning.

This lightning only served to anger the others more, wild as they were with the fury of gods in an eternal war.

---

Stormcatcher hissed. "I have reason to. And that's all you need to know!" The memory was causing him to grimace, his body tensing. His tail swept stiffly. Sparks jumped, not enough to hurt him from the depletion of power. But enough to be heard.

Edited by Dusky_Flareon

"Don't worry, don't you think I've gotten used to hearing that already?"

Link stared at the steps like his like depended on it as embarrassment flowed through him. It would defiantly be a adjustment for him, as his thoughts where no longer private. Which he would take the lack of privacy over not talking….thinking…..to someone.

Sorry, it will take some adjustment. I’m not used to people in my head. But I’ll take it as it comes, though I hope at least some of my thoughts are private because some would be embarrassing for you and for me.

Link was quiet as he continued on his way up, he could hear yelling from storm and Alex but he paid it no mind. She would be fine, he hoped. Storm didn’t seem to like people very much and Alex was……

Weird, to say the least.

“so you noticed... I... already told you I arrived here devoid of any weaponry. But I still am a priest, and I can use some powers without weapons. But... this battle... I did something I shouldn't have. In order to defend myself, I used spells designated for shadowpriests. The arts of the Cabal... I can't believe I went that far."

Jumping at the sound he turned back and listened quietly as Tyrande told him a little more about herself. She didn’t give a lot of information about herself, but what she did seemed to be pretty important. It didn’t seem to him to be a good idea to tell a practical stranger that you are a leader and a priest. It just wasn’t smart.

It could have been the fact she could read his mind but he still felt t is was unwise. A smile graced his lips as he walked up the stairs, he could see a connection between her and Zelda. Both seemed trusting although he suspected that Zelda’s was partly stupidity that caused hers.

Was that bad, what does it do to you exactly if you use them.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Taking another glance at her, he looked for any form of weaponry. She was bare, she really had no weapons on her that he could see. It made sense then that she would have to use magic or something of that kind. Although he had never know magic to be evil, just the wielder, and Dhirahim and Demise where prime examples of that.

Uhhh

Here......

If you would like a weapon I wouldn’t mind giving you a bow to use. If you would feel better using that than the magic.

Reaching around onto his back he gently unclipped the purple and gold colored bow with a small click. Pulling it in front, he eyed it fondly. He had been through a lot and the bow has never let him down, but if she needed it then he could pass it off.

Just when this

Waving his hand in indication

Is over I would like it back. But for now I think it would have more use with you.