Lurhstaap

The Great Graveyard Holly Project

Last year, as DC Christmas breeding season was about to begin, I was hanging out with some friends of mine RL who also play (alas, they don't use the forums or I'd namedrop them lol) We were discussing the sad situation of Hollies and how sad it is that most people still feel fairly lucky just to catch a messy one, much less anything with a neat lineage of any sort. It's to the point where I, as someone who generally doesn't like stairs, am still excited to catch/trade for a staircase Holly.

So, we came up with an idea. Why not get ahold of messy Hollies, then breed them to dragons we weren't particularly attached to, and then kill the parents to make fake G1 Hollies? We could breed "purebred" G2 Hollies! And we could breed dragons of other species from low-value/messy parents and kill those parents to make deadlined mates. Holly "G2s"!

Obviously, a genuine G2 Holly is still something to be treasured and desired, but these deadlines would at least look very similar to a 'real' one except for the line of gravestones at the top.

Then one of us, BSD (his entire scroll is themed after the Wyrm from Werewolf: The Apocalypse, so naturally this part would be his idea LOL) came up with a second thought. Why not try to zombify some of the killed parents, while we're at it? If deadlines are cool, zombie parents are way cooler, right?

And so the Graveyard Hollies were born. In concept, at least. Last year we collected messy Hollies from the AP, and bred them from messies we already had in a couple of cases. This year, we've been breeding.

All non-CB parents will be killed as soon as possible (given kill limit and dodging). Next Halloween, the non-Holly CB parents of the Hollies we bred this year will be killed and zombification attempts will be made. Of course, most will fail, but with any luck, we'll end up with at least a handful of Hollies with a zombie parent.

Between then and now, we'll be breeding other Graveyard Dragons to be mates to the Graveyard Hollies. I've already got messy prizes lined up for prize-mate making, and a few for other holiday species. Not sure what all the others are preparing - we all have our share of messies and personal favorite species. Point is, by next Christmas season (Christmas '17 as of my typing this) we should be able to breed the first Graveyard Holly G2s into the AP, allowing everyone to benefit from our work.

So, why does this thread exist? Because today when I mentioned the project in the holiday event thread, I realized it would be a good idea to invite/encourage other people to participate. So I talked to the others real quick and we decided to make it a public breeding project. The whole point was to benefit everyone, after all, not just ourselves, so the more people who participate, the better!

Are you interested? Awesome! If so, check out the next couple of posts for rules and information. <3

Edited by Lurhstaap

So you want to join the Graveyard Holly project. First, though, some information/rules/guidelines.

Firstly, this project will involve a lot of killing and zombie-making. It's a given. If you just wanted to -own- Graveyard Hollies, you wouldn't need to worry about it, but if you want to be part of the actual breeding project, you have to be willing to kill and zombify dragons. It's just part of the deal. If killing/zombification make you uncomfortable, this may not a good breeding project for you to participate in. I don't want to exclude anyone, but that's just a reality.

Once the project gets going in earnest, people will probably start gifting and trading the "G2s" and "G3s" and so on amongst each other, but I doubt people will often give away their "G1s". So it's most likely best to expect to be making your own most of the time.

With that covered, here is the definition of a "Generation 1" Graveyard Dragon for the purposes of this project.

1.) Its parents must both be deceased and/or zombies. Dragons with one living and one dead/zombie parent do not count. There are lineages like that, but a true Graveyard must be entirely deadlined and/or zombielined.

1a.) Note that its true generation is 100% irrelevant. All that matters is that the line is cut off by both of the parents being dead and/or zombies.

1b.) It doesn't matter if both parents are dead, both zombies, or one dead and one zombie. Just because of the odds of zombification, the majority of Graveyards will most likely have two dead parents, or one dead and one zombie.

1c.) When I first made this project, I could have sworn a zombie parent cut off the line like a dead parent does, but it has been pointed out that this may not be the case. Until this is proven one way or the other, just to be safe, zombification attempts should only be made on CB parents (meaning only the non-Holly parent of a Holly G1, or both parents of a non-Holly G1 if bred from two CBs.) We recommend using CB commons for this purpose if you plan to try for zombie parents.

2.) Any dragon with two dead and/or zombie parents automatically counts as a Graveyard, practically speaking, and can be registered with and/or used for the project even if it wasn't specifically created for it.

And that's it! This is pretty simple, to tell the truth. biggrin.gif I've been giving mine the surname Graveyard, both to keep track of them and because I like using "family" surnames on my scroll, but this is NOT meant to be a standard for the project as a whole and you are not at all required or even requested to use the Graveyard surname on your own dragons. (With that said, you're welcome to if you want to!)

So how do you join the project?

First, you need messy Hollies that you don't mind killing. During Christmas season, this isn't terribly difficult to do. Messy Hollies aren't particularly rare anymore. You can either breed random messy Hollies from any Hollies you already own or snag them from the AP. Their source doesn't matter, so long as you don't kill something you agreed not to kill.

Once you've bred/acquired messy Hollies, you need more dragons, opposite sex to your Hollies, that you don't mind killing. It does not matter what breed, since they will be killed and their breed invisible in the end anyway. The only way the breed of the mate matters is if you're trying to zombify and you want a certain zombie sprite - say, the Wyvern or the Wyrm. Note that if you want to zombify the non-Holly parent, make sure it is CB to avoid any line-reappearance issues.

Again, ALL OF THESE DRAGONS WILL DIE, so make sure you're not attached to them! Don't choose dragons that you're fond of!

Now you wait a year. This part takes patience, I know! You can occupy yourself by getting mates ready, or doing other projects. Getting mates ready works the same as making Hollies, except you can use any breed that you'd like as a mate for a Holly - say, a Silver Tinsel, just as a random example.

Then, you breed the parents to produce an egg of the right type (whether a Holly at Christmas or another breed at another time of year).

Once you've bred a Holly or the breed you want as a mate from your doomed parents, you have a choice. If you just want to deadline and don't much care whether the parents zombify or not, you can go ahead and kill them as soon as you have the baby you need from them. You can also choose to time your killings so as to take advantage of the higher chances of zombification at Halloween. This part is 100% up to you and does not matter. Again, though, remember not to try to zombify anything that isn't CB.

We do ask that you consider trying to zombify each killed CB parent, just to have as many zombies in the project as possible, but if you'd rather just have simple gravestones, that's entirely up to you and does not disqualify you from the project. Zombies are an optional bonus cool thing, not mandatory at all.

Once the dragons with killed/zombified parents grow up, congratulations! You now have "G1" Graveyard Dragons. You can breed them together to make "G2" Graveyards, and so on! You're now officially part of the Great Graveyard!

At this point, we would love it if you took the time to post here in this thread to register your Hollies and prepared mates with the project, and to occasionally do bloodswaps with other members, to help the lineage grow and thrive. However, you aren't required to do that. Simply creating and breeding Graveyard dragons is enough. biggrin.gif

Edited by Lurhstaap

To officially join the project, please fill out this form. This isn't mandatory, of course - nothing stops you from simply following the instructions above, making Graveyard-type dragons, and breeding them on your own. But if you want to be an official member of the project, post this in the thread!

I want to join the Great Graveyard as a breeder!

Forum Name:

PM Link:

Scroll Link:

My Graveyard Hollies:

My Graveyard Mates:

If you don't already have any Graveyard-type dragons, that's OK! Just write "None yet" for Hollies. Under "Mates," you can also just say "None yet", but it would be nice if you included a list of your plans for mates, so we as a project have an idea of what people are already doing. For example, if three people are already making Gold Tinsel Graveyards, but no one is doing Gold Shimmer, someone might decide to do a Gold Shimmer instead of another Gold Tinsel.

Once you've bred some actual Graveyard Dragons, if you want to register them officially with the project, please post this form to the thread:

New Graveyard Holly Registration

Holly's Name:

Lineage Link:

Generation:

Mates:

New Graveyard Dragon Registration

Dragon's Name:

Dragon's Species:

Lineage Link:

Generation:

Please list the dragon's apparent generation, not its true generation. A dragon whose parents are both dead is a G1. A dragon whose grandparents are all dead is a G2. Et cetera. Basically, imagine the line of gravestones/zombies at the top isn't there, just the living dragon(s) - what gen are you looking at? Write that down.

For Hollies, the 'mates' section can be used two ways. If you're the sort of person who matches their dragons with specific, unchanging partners, you should put names and lineage links to the Holly's partner or partners. Otherwise, if you have other non-Holly Graveyard Dragons available on your scroll and may use any one of them, you can simply list the species you have available as mates for your Holly at the same gen.

For example, if your Holly is a female G1 Graveyard, and you also have made G1 Graveyards of a male Gold Lunar Herald, a male Avatar of Creation, and a male Frilled, you'd write 'Gold Lunar Herald, AoC, Frilled' or similar.

If your dragon has no mates yet, you can simply put None yet or N/A.

Blank forms:

[SIZE=7][COLOR=gold]I want to join the Great Graveyard as a breeder![/COLOR][/SIZE]
[B]Forum Name:[/B]
[b]PM Link:[/b] 
[B]Scroll Link:[/B]
[B]My Graveyard Hollies:[/B] 
[B]My Graveyard Mates:[/B]

[COLOR=red][SIZE=7]New Graveyard Holly Registration[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[B]Holly's Name:[/B]
[B]Lineage Link:[/B] 
[B]Generation:[/B]
[B]Mates: [/B]

[SIZE=7][COLOR=green]New Graveyard Dragon Registration[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[B]Dragon's Name:[/B]
[B]Dragon's Species:[/B]
[B]Lineage Link:[/B]
[B]Generation:[/B]

List of Graveyard Breeders

The original group consists of me:

Forum Name: Lurhstaap - PM

Scroll Link: Scroll

Mate Plans: Oh god, so many. But here are some of my top priorities. Avatar of Creation, Geode, Gold, Silver, Gold Tinsel, Gold Shimmer, Silver Tinsel, Silver Shimmer, Gold and Silver Lunar Herald. Other things I want to do include Kingcrowne, male green Gemshard, Almerald, male green Copper, Aegis, Desipis, Radiant Angel... could go on for ages.

And a few friends who don't use the forums and who have asked me to refer to them only by nicknames: BSD, Onei, KS, and M. If they give me permission, I may link their dragons in the list below, but as far as the forums are concerned, we agreed I should be the 'public face' of the project. Anyone else who joins will be listed below.

List of Graveyard Hollies

NOTE: Some dragons in this list may have their non-Holly parent still alive. If so, this is only because the owner is waiting for Halloween to make a zombification attempt, or the dragon has been unusually stubborn about dodging. tongue.gif

-Lurhstaap's Graveyards-

Holly's Name: Apt Graveyard

Lineage Link: Lineage

Generation: 1

Mates: None yet.

Holly's Name: Imperator Graveyard

Holly's Name: Beowulf Graveyard

Holly's Name: Tiny Tim Graveyard

Generation: 2 (Male Holly x Female Silver)

Mates: Will eventually get a G2 female silver mate.

-M's Graveyards-

Holly's Name: No Fleas On My Dog

Mates: Invincible Sun's Invincible Son, a male Gold. Others forthcoming.

Holly's Name: CreepyHolly

Holly's Name: PoisonHolly

List of Graveyard Mates

NOTE: Dragons in this list may have one or both parents still alive. If so, this is only because the owner is waiting for Halloween to make zombification attempts, or the dragons have been unusually stubborn about dodging. tongue.gif

-M's Mates-

Dragon's Name: Invincible Sun's Invincible Son

Dragon's Species: Gold (Male)

Edited by Lurhstaap

I think when you successfully zombify a dragon, its ancestors will become visible again in the lineage view (as if it were alive). That would "re-messify" their offspring. :-/

If you want Zombies in the base line, CB commons would work. So you'd have tombstones from messy Hollies, and (some) Zombies from their CB mates.

I think when you successfully zombify a dragon, its ancestors will become visible again in the lineage view (as if it were alive). That would "re-messify" their offspring. :-/

If you want Zombies in the base line, CB commons would work. So you'd have tombstones from messy Hollies, and (some) Zombies from their CB mates.

What she said... now I'm honestly thinking of letting my freezing fodder grow up o be killed next year though xd.png

I swear to God I have a Zombie-lined lineage where it cuts off, but I have six pages of dragons and can't find it right now. xd.png Gimme a minute. With that said though, Confused Cat's solution works fine, too. biggrin.gif Point is mainly just to make "lowgen" Hollies, with zombies as an added cool factor for people who like them, since we're killing stuff all over the place anyway LOL

Happily, I know at least a few of the Hollies we bred this year used a CB common for the non-Holly parent, so that's still doable. And you couldn't have a Holly with two zombie parents, but you could have a mate with two zombie parents. (Still pretty sure I have a cutoff zombieline somewhere, but even if I'm wrong, we'll just make that small adjustment and roll on!)

EDIT: Pffffft I don't have the patience to search through a thousand dragons right now. xd.png I apparently like zombielines too much, have a loooot, but mostly G2s/from CB zombie parents. I'll just edit the main post with that in mind until I find a concrete example of a cutoff zombieline, just to be safe.

EDIT II: OK, got myself in the breeder's list and the tiny handful of soon-to-be Graveyards on my scroll listed. The project is basically ready to go. Whee! Also, to my great surprise, I found a Holly up for trade that counts as a perfect "G2" Graveyard! Happy to see other people are working on this type of project already, but it's not common enough yet. Still, that Holly is now permanently enshrined within the project as G2 Tiny Tim Graveyard. biggrin.gif

Edited by Lurhstaap

I can solve one mystery for you. Lineage behind a zombie is visible. Check on the mother's side, gz9I Erastes Resurrection is a zombie and has been since I got the magi years ago.

It's an interesting project but I don't plan to join. My scroll is an undead free zone where the Soulpeace dragons laze. smile.gif

Huh, interesting. Maybe the one I was thinking of is actually CBs and I just thought they were deadlined. Well, thanks for that!

FWIW though you don't have to do zombies to do this project! Pure deadlines are also perfectly acceptable (and in fact that's the original idea - the zombie part was just tossed in by one of us who really really loves zombies LOL)

EDIT: I have some fantastic and very unexpected news! It seems that one of M's project dragons, No Fleas On My Dog, had both its parents killed sometime in the past year for unknown reasons. So instead of being bred to be killed to PRODUCE G1s, she has BECOME a G1!

And unlike me, M HAS been producing possible mate dragons on his scroll for the past year. He just has to kill the messy gold parent of one of them to have a male gold mate. So instead of having to wait until next year, we'll see the first official Graveyard G2s being bred this year from M's scroll! He will be breeding them on Christmas Day (the 25th) and it'll be male Gold x female Holly.

He's already told me that he wants to keep the one egg from the clutch rather than gift or trade it this year. But there will almost certainly be at least one extra egg going to the AP when he breeds. So I'll make sure to announce in this thread when he has bred the pair, so interested people can start watching the AP. smile.gif

Edited by Lurhstaap

Afraid I wasn't clear, for there to be undeath there first must be death. There is no killing on my scroll. The only accidental deaths were; the one and only time I used earthquake bsa, and I lost a couple hatchlings by not having them in a hatchery when I went out of town with no internet. They had plenty of views and I forgot they needed one last view once they hit 4 days to become adult. And of course they crumbled when I got back and tried to revive.

I know people enjoy their deadline lineages, it's just not something I will do. I don't torture dragons trying to make a neglected either. I don't want one. I'm not your typical dragon cave player. biggrin.gif

Good luck with your project!

Ah, gotcha. No worries, then. Like I said in the initial post, it's not a project for everyone, particularly if you don't like killing on your scroll. smile.gif Thank you!

M has just bred No Fleas On My Dog to Invincible Sun's Invincible Son (him and his names lol) Happily, they made FOUR eggs! So there's three Graveyard "G2" Hollies out there to find. Good luck, everyone!

EDIT: So, in the end, I've got four "G1s" for this year. Hoping to catch at least one or two messy Hollies before the AP wall ends this year so I can breed more new "G1s" next year. I'm not sure if all the others did, but last I looked at BSD's scroll, he had five messy Holly hatchlings, all with names like 'Lament of the Doomed' and 'Ululation of the Doomed'. xd.png lol So we can anticipate at least five new Graveyards on BSD's scroll next year, it seems.

M's Gold x Holly pair looks beautiful - I'm so jealous! Tried to convince him to trade me that egg, but no dice. Will just have to make a gold mate and breed one of my own next year. tongue.gif Very happy with the surprise find of Tiny Tim, though, so that makes me feel better. The Holly x female silver pairing looks better than I would have thought, but I'm more interested in making a male Silver Graveyard, I think.

More than anything else though my top goal for mate-making right now are prizes. I really want to breed Holly x Gold Tinsel and Holly x Silver Shimmer (and Silver Tinsel and Gold Shimmer, and the bronzes to a lesser extent). I have one silver prize fodder-parent (I forget which breed, too lazy to check right now lol) all ready to go. Once the holiday wall in the AP is gone, I'll begin trying to breed a prize egg from that parent. Once I get one, the parent will be killed.

Edited by Lurhstaap

Well when I couldn't find all the lineages I needed I had a bit of place... and instead of Freezing Fodder meet:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 future participants smile.gif

Maybe I'll get more before the wall runs out wink.gif

Awesome! Welcome to the Graveyard! xd.png

Do you have any mate plans yet? One reason I'm looking forward to this project is that a lot of the older lines, because they're older, use the same breeds - white, pink, Aria/OldPink, black, gold, silver. I'm hoping to see some interesting combos with Holly and other breeds, especially newer ones!

It might not be as relevant as it used to be with Cb's returning but:

OK so last year (2016) I decided to catch me a messy Holly to freeze. Then I stumbled upon this.

I JUST managed to kill the last of 2016's messies and now am the proud owner of

these

pretty

guys

and

gals.

Aren't

they

beautiful?

Also they make the bestest babies (ZHAZX's days are numbered as you might guess)

:D I have enough to make a fem Bronze Tin checker with all 4 male Hollies but I only got 2 male Gold Tins and the Gold combo looks good too...

If someone's interested I might PB a pair or two next Christmas (those I don't need the Holly offspring from myself for checkers)

Edit: Oops forgot about the registration form - and I need to leave soon. Will edit the proper stuff later :D

Edited by Herk

Why did I never see this thread before? Messy Hollies may be harder to come by now that there are so many new CBs out there, but I suspect people will still breed them and the ones that are there will be in less demand. I may try my hand next year at catching some. :lol: