TJ09

2016-12-18 - Holiday Event Schedule

Having SUCH good luck with trading this year! Thank you SO MUCH to Master0fPuppets for the amazing Holly x Gold checker G3 and to Raindear for all the lovely G2s! And that G4 stair Holly from Frill from the AP, OMG. *drool*

Also pulling together a deadline project I started with some of my non-forum-using friends last year. biggrin.gif Next year, we will be breeding into the AP a bunch of deadlined "G2" Hollies! Not real G2s, but will look identical except for the row of gravestones at the top. (Will be making deadlined mates for them so they match.) I've noticed a handful of similar projects, but none with both deadlined Hollies and matching deadlined mates, and almost none pulled back far enough to look "G1" so as to make "G2" babies. This is how we decided to improve the odds of finding nice-looking Hollies for people who like checkers and evengens. They're just deadlines, but they'll have some of the look of a 'real' G2 or G3 checker and that's pretty good! So, really excited to be making progress on the project.

We're waiting until next Halloween to kill the parents of the Hollies, though, in order to have the best chance to zombify as many as possible. >D

Edited by Lurhstaap

Aha, since I'm not huge on lineages (my only goal is to get two of each type, one of each gender if possible) I'm just kicking back and waiting for the event to start. I'm so excited to see the new dragon though! And I'm glad that everyone seems to be having a good time breeding smile.gif

Since when do S2 Solstices have rosy wings? Is this so people can swap them before they grow up if the wing color is wrong? Either way, awesome!

Since when do S2 Solstices have rosy wings? Is this so people can swap them before they grow up if the wing color is wrong? Either way, awesome!

It's actually based on when you breed it! It goes off EST, like everything basically on DC. 18:00 to 5:59 is rosy, 6:00 to 17:59 is blue biggrin.gif

It's actually based on when you breed it! It goes off EST, like everything basically on DC. 18:00 to 5:59 is rosy, 6:00 to 17:59 is blue biggrin.gif

Well, yeah, I knew that part. But that's the adults. Last year, as I recall, you didn't get color on the S2 - you could only be 100% sure you had a colorwing or bluewing when it grew up or if you'd bred it yourself.

The first report I've seen on it was from earlier today, so I'm guessing they were added really recently.

Well, yeah, I knew that part. But that's the adults. Last year, as I recall, you didn't get color on the S2 - you could only be 100% sure you had a colorwing or bluewing when it grew up or if you'd bred it yourself.

Oh! I totally misread that as gen2. So sorry ohmy.gif

I hope this year's holiday dragon has a new spriter. We need more spriters in-cave and having one bring in a holiday dragon would be pretty cool.

I hope this year's holiday dragon has a new spriter. We need more spriters in-cave and having one bring in a holiday dragon would be pretty cool.

Agreed! Our current spriters create lovely dragons every time, but it's always amazing to see new blood amongst the artists.

I'd like to see a new spriter do it too! Always cool to see new peoples' takes on holiday dragons tongue.gif

Edited by missy20201

I just hope the new christmas dragon unique and visually pleasing.

New spriters are interesting but if the sprite doesn't look as good as an in caver's work it doesn't matter to me that they are new.

Part of me wants something bright and RED! But then another part wants something sort of green-based but with lots of colorful bits, like a Christmas tree or a string of lights or a wreath. I dunno. I'll be happy no matter what it is, more than likely. I don't know why but I really love holiday dragons, in general. Halloween is my favorite, then Christmas, then Valentine's.

Actually, you know what I'd really like, is if the dragon was themed after Hannukah or Kwanzaa or some other winter holiday. Then the switch from calling them Christmas dragons to 'holiday' dragons wouldn't bug me anymore. tongue.gif

I'm having so much fun just looking through the cave at all the interesting lineages. I've found some lovely 2nd gen pairings I can play with. Some of them are just wow though, lol Same christmas dad 6 times in a row, O_O

There really are a lot of players that don't do any sort of lineages at all, tons of messy 11 gens with a hundred different dragons. I thought more people worked on breeding, which is why I started doing it. Of course, I didn't for years and am filled to the brim with >_< What was I thinking pairings. I feel guilty about breeding them now for the cave. I don't want them all to end up wild, hahaha

I also found one of my original pairings used for someone else's dragon orgy lineage that made me laugh. Never seen one of my own offspring's family before, it was cool. But what made me laugh was that this person had caught a DIFFERENT one of my dragons too, and it was in the messy lineage as well. How weird was that? I bet the odds were crazy magnificent against. I added to it and let them all go so now it's out there with three different dragons from me in it, bwahahaha I'd love to find it again next year. user posted image

me:

hello soltices, sky ribbon dancers,and snow angels, i like you but please leve you aren'T AEGISES

I'm having so much fun just looking through the cave at all the interesting lineages. I've found some lovely 2nd gen pairings I can play with. Some of them are just wow though, lol Same christmas dad 6 times in a row, O_O

There really are a lot of players that don't do any sort of lineages at all, tons of messy 11 gens with a hundred different dragons. I thought more people worked on breeding, which is why I started doing it. Of course, I didn't for years and am filled to the brim with >_< What was I thinking pairings. I feel guilty about breeding them now for the cave. I don't want them all to end up wild, hahaha

I also found one of my original pairings used for someone else's dragon orgy lineage that made me laugh. Never seen one of my own offspring's family before, it was cool. But what made me laugh was that this person had caught a DIFFERENT one of my dragons too, and it was in the messy lineage as well. How weird was that? I bet the odds were crazy magnificent against. I added to it and let them all go so now it's out there with three different dragons from me in it, bwahahaha I'd love to find it again next year. user posted image

Breeding neat lineages IS very popular, but to be honest, it's an activity that is largely confined to people on the forums in my experience. The people who just play the game tend not to pick up the emphasis on lineage that exists here on the forum and so are much more likely to either not care at all about lineage, focusing instead on collecting the actual sprites, or else to develop a personal/idiosyncratic style of valuing lineages. For example, I used to know someone who actually strongly prefers what most would consider a "messy" lineage, because to her, they were more realistic and interesting, and more resemble an actual family tree with all its interconnections and oddnesses. (At least, that was her opinion. IMO a non-checker evengen is closer to a real family tree. But that's another topic. tongue.gif)

Before I began using the forum, I didn't give a damn about lineage. I barely even paid attention to it, to the point that my very first red dragon ever was a G2 from Yulebuck (when Yulebucks had been just barely released about three or four months before) and I didn't even notice until later on when I began using the forums more actively and picked up on the concept of organized lineages. I built up a value system based on dragon species rather than lineages. I would have traded a G2 Thuwed Nebula for a messy Gold at the time, having no idea how foolish that was. xd.png And of my non-forum-using DC-playing friends, only two really care much about lineage, and that largely because I got them into the game in the first place by showing off my own shinies.

And even for those of us who care about lineage, when it comes to holiday time, the temptation to BREED EVERYTHING is very strong for some of us. If it's on the scroll it tends to be bred. And that introduces the problem of Not Having A Mate. Some people make "bad" decisions, from a lineage neatness standpoint, when in that situation. For example, that's part of where all those G4s with one checker parent and one CB parent come from. The person didn't have an appropriate mate for the checker and thought of CBs as the "most valuable/best" possible alternative, rather than choosing a different checker to make an evengen. I used to do that sort of thing, too, before I had a clearer idea of lineage values and standards. I wince to this day at some of the stuff in my older dragons' offspring lists. xd.png

Edited by Lurhstaap

I just found out about an update from the Wiki, THANK YOU ODEEN - in the name of everyone who wished for that tweak:)

(hehe, I'll have to be very careful when breeding for S2 frozens of these next year;) I'm actually happy the S2 from both variants will somehow differ:) Now if only Aegises got Enrage BSA for frozens I'd be euphoric xd.png)

me:

hello soltices, sky ribbon dancers,and snow angels, i like you but please leve you aren'T AEGISES

Pahaha! My thoughts exactly! tongue.gif

I see all those pretty eggs in the AP, and think that I would love to have yule tree baubles that look like that. Particularly the Aegis eggs.

I see all those pretty eggs in the AP, and think that I would love to have yule tree baubles that look like that. Particularly the Aegis eggs.

Oh I totally agree! IMO holiday dragons have some of the best egg sprites of the whole game, and I would love to see those as tree baubles!

Past limitations still apply: you will only be able to keep one egg from a given clutch, even if multiple eggs are produced.

Maybe I'm way out of the loop, but is it still the case that we can only have 2 of each Holiday breed?

What about when catching new releases?

Maybe I'm way out of the loop, but is it still the case that we can only have 2 of each Holiday breed?

2 of the new and as many as you want of the old biggrin.gif

It is only possible to have two CB dragons of each holiday breed (Christmas and Valentine). But it has been allowed for a number of years now to have as many bred holiday dragons as your scroll can hold. I forget exactly when the change was made from only allowing two total.

Edited by purplehaze

FINALLY figured out what I want to pair my Aegis' with. I just have to wait until I'm unlocked so I can breed them. happy.gif Found different pairing for my Mistletoes too. Shadow Walker and Frostbite.