AppleMango

Christmas Shenanigans

So, I'm not really sure how much I want this thread to entail. Anything you think is a christmas shenanigan I guess tongue.gif haha.

Like kids looking for their presents, prank presents, stuff like that.

Last year my sister told me "When I was little I used to rip little holes in the wrapping of my present so I could see what I was getting" then when I looked at her presents under the tree, they all had holes ripped so she could see what they were. xd.png

This year, I wrapped her presents in plain white paper before I wrapped them in the wrapping paper, so if she tries to peek she will just see white. I'm also hoping that since this paper is thicker, it will be harder to her to rip, and so she can't see.

My mom does that thing where she puts really little presents in really big boxes/packages. It's kind of fun, because I really never know what could possibly be in there until I unwrap it.

It's kind of a "thing" in our house that mom starts decorating for Christmas the day after Halloween. This year we've really gone all out, with decorations all outside and around the trees and stuff, despite the fact that we live in an apartment and I was worried that the office was going to complain. No one has yet.

As an adult, I'm not filled with christmas spirit.

But as a child, moving around Europe, from Estonia, then to Finland, and then to Germany, I have to still admit, the Christmas Markets across Europe are absolutely fantastic.

The Tallinn market will always be a favorite though - even though we lived closer to Tartu and Pärnu, I and my cousins were always taken to Tallinn at some point throughout December. (though in all honesty, it still wasn't far, Estonia is a small country, so the drive was 2-3 hours at most) It may not be the biggest market in europe, or anything, but it's my home country, and I like it because it's not as huge and stuff, it's like a fairytale place to me. happy.gif

I've been working retail for 7 years and I have to tell say, if you really love Christmas, don't work retail during November and December. It takes away the fun of the season.

About when I was 5 years old, I remember sneaking downstairs one night to keep an eye on the Christmas tree. The way our house was laid out, you could see into the living room from the staircase. So peaking through the banister railing, I sat on the steps to catch a glimpse of Santa. But before he showed up I had fallen asleep right where I sat. When I woke up, I was amazed that Santa had strewn out presents under our tree that night without being spotted.

The present I got for my sister's dad is just wizz fizz, and it's wrapped like pass the parcel. Some layers are empty, some have packers of wizz fizz. xd.png

I got a card game for my brother that he's been dying to own. He's been telling my family all about it and he even posted a picture of it on Instagram. xd.png

When I bought it for him, I wrapped it, then put it inside a big box (because of its shape, he'd know what it was at first glance), then wrapped the big box. I even made a passing comment a few nights ago about how I wished we had that card game, completely making it look like I hadn't bought it and that it was out of my budget.

I can't wait to see the look on his face when he unwraps the first box, then finds the real present inside. laugh.gif

My family always has the most fun with present boxes.

One year, my parents bought my sister a nice pair of earrings for Christmas, but it's always so easy to tell when you're getting jewelry because like nothing else is that small, right? Ha.

My parents put this tiny earring box into a box that was 3ft x 3ft x 3ft in size and stuffed it with towels, packing paper, and a BOWLING BALL to give it substance. It took my sister 5 minutes of digging around to actually find the tiny parcel inside.

One year my parents asked me what I wanted for Christmas. Having no ideas yet, i said "a big old greasy corn dog!". Come Christmas day, one of the presents I unwrap happens to be packaged in an old box of frozen corn dogs.

This doesn't involve me, but one year my extended family was doing what we call "Crazy Christmas", a variation on Secret Santa where you have a 10 dollar budget and must give your giftee a present themed around something funny that happened to them that year. My aunt was going through a bit of a nasty divorce and everyone was begging my parents to take sides in the happening, and my dad drew my mom's name for a gift and opted to cheat and not swap out for another. His gift was a refridgerator box that he converted into a little cardboard house, complete with a door and a window, that he dubbed the "In-Law Divorce Fallout Shelter". There were plenty of sides my mom could take: the inside, the outside, the left side, the right side, or the back side. Not everyone thought this was funny.

So, inspired by a

, me and some friends decided to do a "buy the weirdest gifts challenge"

we had a budget we set (not including postage, but I think we had enough sense to not get anything with expensive as heck postage if it's online), to buy the weirdest things we could find.

I'm kind of scared of what they'll be when they arrive. :I

But we made a rule of no *coughs* explicit objects. So that's somewhat of a relief.

A few years ago, I decided to give a gift to a coworker.

The outside box had a tag, "To Matt From Santa".

When he opened it, there was a tag that said, "He sees you when you're sleeping" and a picture of night vision goggles.

Inside that box was a tag that said, "He knows when you're awake" with a picture of binoculars.

Inside that box was a tag that said, "He knows if you've been bad or good" with a picture of a Magic 8 Ball.

Inside that box was a tag that said, "Nah. Who are we kidding?"

Inside that was chocolate coal.

Well, The best part about this was that he didn't know who it was from, so he was accusing other people for a couple of days.

I had given it to his sister to put under the tree at his mother's house. I was never a suspect, as he knew I didn't know where he lived.

I have a severe dislike of clowns. It's been this way for as long as I can remember and it's something my parents and brother know quite well.

My brother is the problem.

Two years ago, he got me my very first Funko Pop figures for Christmas (and now I have an addiction to the things.) One of them was Stitch, my favorite Disney character. The other was Pennywise from It. That wasn't a pleasant surprise and I may have cursed at him a little.

Last year, he got me a couple of more Pop figures to add to the collection. This time it was, holiday baby Groot... and Twisty from American Horror Story: Freak Show. I think I threw a wad of wrapping paper at him.

I'm not sure I want to know what he has planned for this year.

I was one of those kids that planned "traps" for Santa so I could prove he was real. Tripwires, cameras and such. None of them actually worked, thank goodness, or my poor parents would probably have had some bad Christmasses!

A few years ago, I decided to give a gift to a coworker.

The outside box had a tag, "To Matt From Santa".

When he opened it, there was a tag that said, "He sees you when you're sleeping" and a picture of night vision goggles.

Inside that box was a tag that said, "He knows when you're awake" with a picture of binoculars.

Inside that box was a tag that said, "He knows if you've been bad or good" with a picture of a Magic 8 Ball.

Inside that box was a tag that said, "Nah. Who are we kidding?"

Inside that was chocolate coal.

Well, The best part about this was that he didn't know who it was from, so he was accusing other people for a couple of days.

I had given it to his sister to put under the tree at his mother's house. I was never a suspect, as he knew I didn't know where he lived.

Hahahaha omg! This story is great!!!

I can't tell if you told him or if he still doesn't know though? xd.png

Ugh I really want to tell a story but I can't on the off chance my boyfriend comes on the forum and sees tongue.gif hahaha xd.png

I'll post it after Christmas.

So in the first post I said about my sister trying peek, well she tried to rip through the white paper too, so I bought some packing tape and now her present looks like this (the image wouldn't work, so I had to link it.)

Next year I will be wrapping her presents in plain paper, then a layer of duct tape, THEN the wrapping paper. smile.gif

When I was a kid I had one friend that did the same thing of peeking in her gifts, so I wrapped it in like 10-15 layers of duct tape under the wrapping. She told me later it took her a good couple tries to open it with knives on Christmas lol.

So a couple of days ago, I went and had lunch and did some shopping with my friend. My boyfriend came and had lunch with us too, but he couldn't come shopping because I was buying his Christmas presents.

When I got home I asked him what he did after, and he said he went around and did some shopping too, but didn't buy anything.

So anyway, for Christmas, from my mum, my boyfriend and I are getting bicycles, and we also got a puppy a few weeks ago. To keep the puppy from getting at the presents, we have been using the bicycles as a shelf to put all the presents on, this is especially useful since the puppy likes sleeping under the Christmas tree. smile.gif

So anyway, when other people put up presents, they just put them up thoughtlessly, so there's no room for any other presents to go up, so I have to rearrange them to make more presents fit.

I had some presents to put up, so I went to rearrange them, and I found a sneakily hidden present from my boyfriend that he bought when he said he didn't buy anything ohmy.gif

So, I'm not really sure how much I want this thread to entail. Anything you think is a christmas shenanigan I guess tongue.gif haha.

Like kids looking for their presents, prank presents, stuff like that.

Last year my sister told me "When I was little I used to rip little holes in the wrapping of my present so I could see what I was getting" then when I looked at her presents under the tree, they all had holes ripped so she could see what they were. xd.png

This year, I wrapped her presents in plain white paper before I wrapped them in the wrapping paper, so if she tries to peek she will just see white. I'm also hoping that since this paper is thicker, it will be harder to her to rip, and so she can't see.

I thought putting the gift in boxes would suffice. Even with holes, they will simply see the box.

I thought putting the gift in boxes would suffice. Even with holes, they will simply see the box.

Yeah, maybe. Knowing my sister she would probably stab a hole in the box haha. I also had paper and no boxes. tongue.gif But this is a good idea, thanks ^^

Oh man, usually in my family it's a tradition to wrap up any and all gifts so they're nigh impossible to open. Also address them using odd names (like matriarch and patriarch for the parents), claiming they're from anything ranging from Godzilla to a lawnmower. Sometimes we put gifts in embarrassing boxes. Or leave them unhidden for shock value, like this giant dinosaur garden statue from a few years back.

This year's got some new things to throw into the mix. Our year-old puppy destroys everything he can, so we've had to stash our collection of presents up out of his reach (and a normal table top ain't good enough) and we're also having to go without any tree or decorations XD

We're also at the end of our budget so it's gonna be a hella light Christmas and to be honest I'm amazed there's presents here at all. We're gonna have to get creative. And this heatwave probably means our Christmas is likely to be spent sprawled on the coolest bit of floor to be found. Can someone ship us some snow?

My mother has the best wrapping skills ever.

So much tape, one year I actually had to use my teeth to tear it. xd.png

But it's been so amazing to be back home in my native country for christmas. happy.gif

One of the things I got my boyfriend was a backpack biggrin.gif

Before I wrapped it I put some og his other presents in it, hahaha >:D

I'm a big grinch for Christmas. Besides, I've been pretty sick, both Christmas Eve and today. I was sick this year on my birthday too. 2016 seems to have a knack for making me sick on holidays dry.gif

Merry Christmas to everyone though.

Yesterday when we were unwrapping presents, we couldn't find one of my boyfriend's presents. Then later that night, my sister found it in the Christmas tree xd.png

Idk if someone put it there and it was an on purpose shenanigan, but it was pretty funny. It was just a pack of wizz fizz so it would be no big deal if we didn't find it fortunately ^^

Wrapping a brick and putting it in progressively larger boxes (each wrapped) and giving it to my Step-Dad one time...about six different boxes...   Gave him a good gift besides...

Well... there was the year my Mom decided it would be funny to give my Dad a decorated ( new and clean, obviously...) toilet plunger for Christmas ( As a joke of course, he got other stuff as well...) AND we wrote up a little poem about it for my sister and me to recite. XD  

Edited by JavaTigress

One time one of my cousins got a stocking full of soup cans. Also, my brother and I got a plunger. My brother was actually pretty pleased with it, and he got a good thirty minutes of entertainment out of it.