kaoruhitachiintwin

Illogical fears/things that make you anxious

13 hours ago, jengatower said:

whenever i walk in the dark i always start imagining the scariest most possible creature to jump out at me. ;;

I feel like everyone does that... at least, I definitely do! It almost makes sneaking downstairs at night for snacks not worth it... :rolleyes: I also really hate looking out dark windows at nighttime, it freaks me out. 

I mentioned this in another thread, but I have a phobia of eating off of purple dinnerware, bowls and plates.  I wasn't always this way and don't know why or when I started to feel this way...  My ex and my kids made fun of me about it and would sometimes serve me something on a purple plate of bowl.  I'd get up and go put it on antoher plate...  No rhyme or reason for it that I know of, but there it is...

I once heard about these ticks in the area that when they bite you, they can give you a disease that makes you allergic to red meat for the rest of your life... :unsure: I think about that every time I go outside, then I don't want to be outside anymore. 

I don't even know if it's true/how true it is, but the possibility scares me. :lol:

Edited by Aqub

I frequently find myself being anxious about my apartment going up in flames when I'm walking to school. Even if I check that everything that could possibly cause a fire is turned off before I leave the thought still haunts me sometimes. I also often feel like I left the door open when I clearly didn't and fear that someone is going to go in and steal all my stuff.

I also get anxious swimming in any natural body of water because of the thought that there might be something lurking in the murky depths. Funnily enough, I never had this worry as a kid and actually developed it in young adulthood unlike one would think.

Loud hand driers. I hate how the noise they make covers up everything in the room so I can’t hear where people are!

When people are angry, just scares me bad when people so much as raise their voice.

Also people laughing in the background when I’m no part of it. I was bullied a lot while growing up, and that’s probably why!

Edit: Needles, how could I forget that. After a pretty bad experience which has left me quite traumatised, I’m now afraid of docs too…

Edited by Ruffledfeathers

I'm anxious when i'm in the dark, I just don't like the night time.

I fear about being alone, this sometimes happens I always think that my friends hate me and will leave me someday.

I also have other fears but those are my main two ^^

Misophonia and loud noises!

I have experienced sensitivities to how people eat and noises in the past but actually managed to cope better for a few years, to the point where these noises healthily didn't bother me. However, ever since lockdown happened (back in March and then now, for me) my sensitivities to noises have skyrocketed, as has my anxiety! So my misophonia is back for now. And this is just regarding my local environment. Compile this with external stressors like news, work, studies and people and you have a really stressed person. This makes me conclude that the pandemic must be like hell for anyone with phobias and anxiety.

I have every sympathy for anyone going through the same thing! Especially if they are stuck with family.

On 12/21/2017 at 9:32 AM, Tetelestai said:

Less common:

talking on the phone-Like I would legit wait to talk to you in person or text. Severe anxiety when I have to make a phone call. Forget calling insurance companies or Comcast. I absolutely cannot do it.

Ah. So I'm not alone. My aunt's in a nursing home and I haven't called her in several weeks because every time I think about it, I realize I have to talk to some stranger before I get to talk to her.

On 12/8/2020 at 9:26 PM, Lagie said:

Ah. So I'm not alone. My aunt's in a nursing home and I haven't called her in several weeks because every time I think about it, I realize I have to talk to some stranger before I get to talk to her.

Totally not alone. Had an elderly neighbor that lived above me in my apartment complex. I'd go and visit with her to keep her company. Unfortunately, she had a fall accident in June and I never saw her again. I have her cellphone number, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I feel like such a horrible person. I think the biggest reason for the fear is that I cannot see the person's eyes/facial expression. Hate being around people in costumes like the Easter bunny and such.

I've an irrational fear of murky water or ponds/lakes with scummy bottoms, they repel me like no other!

I really hate it when I drop a utensil or something into the garbage disposal in the kitchen sink and I have to grab it. Obviously it's not going to turn on and shred my hand, but I always worry that it will, and sometimes I just chicken out and use chopsticks to grab it.

The idea of my fingernails or toenails getting ripped off or cracked by being stepped on or crushed really turns my stomach and it's why I never wear sandals. I'm on the shorter side so people tend not to see me coming and I got trampled a lot as a little kid, which probably contributed to my fear of getting my feet stepped on now.

I have a pet budgie and usually she hangs out on the balcony in her cage to get fresh air since my apartment is hella cramped, and even though I always put her back inside every night during the fall and winter, I'll sometimes sit up in bed at 3 am wondering if I actually did put her inside or if she's out there dying of cold because I'm a terrible neglectful parent. So I'll get up and go to the living room and check and of course she's always inside, and she looks pretty mad about me waking her up in the middle of the night, but it's like, trust me, bird, I'm not happy about waking up in the middle of the night either, be grateful that I'm awake because I worry about you.

I also really hate shopping for clothes. I always feel lumpy and judged and exposed, and I hate it when the employees try to talk to me even though I know it's their job and they don't care what I'm doing. I'm nonbinary so a lot of my clothing choices may seem a bit inappropriate for my assigned gender since I'm not on hormones or anything. I just worry that people will see me as a weird man in women's clothes/weird woman in men's clothes, even though it's 2021 and I live in a big city where that isn't judged as harshly. And even if they were actually judging me, it wouldn't matter because I'm minding my own business and trying to live my best life.

Asking people to help me. 

On 12/18/2020 at 4:02 AM, Voidrot said:

I've an irrational fear of murky water or ponds/lakes with scummy bottoms, they repel me like no other!

Jenny Greenteeth and Peg Powler will never get you then.

Mine is asking for favors. How bad it gets goes in cycles from very bad to ok with it, but mostly it stays in the 'but I dun wanna' area. It used to be even worse. I used to be so uneasy over owing someone favor. I hated it. I felt owned until I could repay it.

Being remembered only for negative things or despised for past actions. It's sort of why I stopped coming back here, which is odd because I'm now remembering that I actually left on my own accord after seemingly getting bored (I can't really draw and I don't feel like a part of the contributing community). All the negative feelings I have in relation to this site and what I've done in the past... they are all projection. People may or may not remember me... but they probably don't hold hate or anything towards me. Perhaps I felt that my lack of contribution was a sign that others disliked me or didn't value me, and have held this thought for so long that it has defined the site for me. Something I should really work on indeed! ^_^

My emotions often don't understand the difference between someone being angry with me and them wanting me out of their life.

Haven't had my hair cut since the end of 2016. It's incredibly long and I'm over it, but the thought of sitting in a chair (with a mask over my face) trying to explain what I want and not have my fat face take over just makes my blood freeze. I still don't know if I can go through with it, but I'm so sick of dealing with long hair.

Uploading file in online report/hw submission. It's strange because I check them before upload, after upload, and after upload again, but I'm still worried if I had some critical mistake on file like missed filename, wrong template, typoes, etc. Even though I checked everything including mail, notice, submission page not to make mistake, this irrational fear makes me anxious. 

My information getting sold, ants falling on me, dying, getting the virus, my friends dying, and other things along that line. Edit: I forgot the most important one~ spiders, you dont even understand how scary those thing are.

Edited by WarEagle1996

I have a terrible fear of heights, but what's strange is that I also have a fear of someone falling off of a high place. Sometimes, me and my friends hang out by this bridge in our town and my friends usually sit on the bridge and when they do, I get such terrible anxiety about them falling off. They know this, so they sometimes lean back over the edge to make my heartrate spike even more. This causes me to hold onto them on instinct to stop them from leaning back. Even thinking about that is giving me anxiety.

I'm really bad with nausea/throwing up, even if it's not me. Idk why, ever since i was little. I'm better with things that SEEM like sick but aren't (e.g coloured water coming out of someone's mouth for a cosplay) or just talking about it with out it being something that REALLY happened but even someone saying oh i had like a stomach flu over the weekend will make me feel uncomfortable. I'm fine with heights, the dark, spiders, small spaces - i actually love heights and small spaces X D. It must be really bad to be scared of heights - in high school camps around here there is always at least one thing to do with jumping off a really tall thing with a harness - although lots of people here have already graduated!