kaoruhitachiintwin

Illogical fears/things that make you anxious

It isn't a fear per say, but I really, really detest the feeling and texture of steel wool. Don't know how to describe just how uncomfortable it is!

Deep water, for sure. The idea of pressure pushing on me from all sides with no way to protect yourself; except trying to reach the surface. Videos with footage of shipwrecks and other things deep underwater make me cringe!

5 hours ago, Dorchet said:

It isn't a fear per say, but I really, really detest the feeling and texture of steel wool. Don't know how to describe just how uncomfortable it is!

I can understand that. It's similar with me and the sound of someone rubbing a balloon. It makes me cringe and my teeth actually hurt. It's not a fear, but I simply cannot STAND it.

I loathe almost anything dry and coarse, such as sandpapers, nail files, unglazed ceramics, chalkboards, and brick walls. They give me goosebumps.

Spiders. I am terrified of those. If I see one in my room, I just take something, hit the spider and then put away that thing and don't touch it for like, weeks.

When I was younger, I used to go out on the balcony and just watch lightning. My family and I moved, and then, when I heard the rumbling of thunder, I just simply hid under something and turned off all lights. I was terrified of it haha.

I have a fear of one day finding out that I am stupid.

This fear has ruled my life for years. I don't study for tests, thinking to myself, 'like that if I fail, it's not out of stupidity, it's just out of laziness'.

When I was a wee lad, the first time I heard lightning I screamed from the loud noise. Needless to say that happened at a classroom so got scolded for it. -_- Also had to resort with using a mini radio with headphones to control myself.

Another fear I had was airplanes flying over my home. Every time and one flew over I'd hide anywhere where it wouldn't see me. 

And lastly, the fear on wondering alone in darkness. Heck, I had nightmares related to being consumed by the unknown. :unsure:

Thankfully, as I got older, those fears faded away. Though the classic fear of darkness still lingers however, it's mostly when I am sleep deprived.

Earlier on this page someone mentioned irrational aversions, so I'm going to go with that. It's not really a fear, but I am just absolutely repulsed by it and I suppose I fear places having it as the only option. Wooden cutlery. This includes ice cream sticks and, somewhat related, paper straws. I just hate the texture of it on my tongue. Those disposable chopsticks are the same. I just absolutely hate the feeling of it and will avoid it at any cost. 

I also always fear being late for work, even though I generally arrive at work 45-60 minutes before I need to (at a minimum) to get work done. But I still constantly worry about sleeping through my alarm and turning up late. 

Edited by StormWizard212

Irrational fear of airports.  No. Not airplanes.  AirPORTS.

But the weird thing is even though I have flown fairly often on airplanes (Not like... business travel regular but....  I've lost count of how many times I've been on a plane.) But regardless of repeats, it never changes.  I get the "panic attack" feeling on approach to the airport, before I'm even IN the building! I know there's no real reason to freak like that, Honestly it seems like the airport more than the airplane freaks me out.

I think this is one reason I get searched so often at airport security. People can tell I'm nervous.

Once I'm on the plane I'm good. Actual take-off can get me a bit anxious, but other that that....  Once the plane is up in the air I'm fine, unless we hit major turbulence or something. (And if that doesn't make everyone nervous... they are LYING!)

Landing doesn't bother me.  And I have no issue with flying, or buying plane tickets. I love travel!  I just hate airports!

It's just one of those odd things with me, I guess.

This is probably 100% due to my stupid anxiety disorder, but I am *terrified* of being 'trapped' at work. I don't/can't drive, which I'm sure is a big part of it because I've always had to rely on someone else to get me home. 99% of the time that's not a problem at all, but my mind thinks it is. It really really scares me, the thought that something might happen and I won't have any way to get home from work... There are factual/logical things that feed into this fear, like the fact that my mom's car is not totally reliable and has refused to start on multiple occasions, so it's not totally unthinkable that she'd be unable to pick me up one day. The car problems is the reason I use work transportation at the moment (my job has a transportation department, pay $5/day and they pick you up to take you to work, and then take you home after), but that doesn't stop the fear because I'm constantly worried that transportation might forget to pick me up after work. There are multiple people that use transport at the same time I leave, multiple people in the van with me leaving work, and that probably plays into the fear that maybe they just won't notice if one person is missing. Also making it worse is the fact that they are *constantly* late in picking me up... I get off work at 3pm but routinely have to wait until 3:20 or later for the van to show up, and every minute that passes makes me more and more certain that they've just forgotten me.

*Warning, this post contians some stuff in it that although it follows all of the forum rules may be triggering to some individuals.*

Mine isn't really an illogical thing that's bothering me. Basically, for the last 6 weeks I've had a group of creepy men (all of whom are far older than most of the students on campus) following me around. It's gotten to the point where I'll deliberately wait in the washroom for over 30 minutes just to see if they'll still be waiting out there, and without fail they're still there. They follow me to and from my classes as well. I've seen them around a girl who I've dubbed the "Bride of Pennywise" (she wears waaaay too much make-up and dyed her hair an awful shade of red). I think she might be organizing them because after she talked to them they went from following me from class to class to following me to and from residence. What bothers me more is that they never had access to the residence building which I live in until I mentioned it to a counsellor that I used to go to. After that, they started entering my residence building. Naturally I reported all of this to campus security, but when I did this, I was badgered to go back to counselling. When I did go back, the counsellor (it was the same person unfortunately) started phishing for information about the investigation I had gotten security to start. Needless to say I no longer go to counselling. Anyways, when it came to the point where the head of security had called me to review my case (there are security cameras all over campus, and I've been deliberately passing by them with my stalkers in toe); they said that there was "not enough evidence to continue" to which I thought "fat chance". When I asked about the security camera footage, they said that there "was none". This to me means that either A. someone in security wiped the camera records, or B. something bigger is going on here. My official comment on this whole mess is "It's beginning to look a lot like collusion". Besides, if there is something going on here, I'm either going to blow it wide open; or at the very least make sure that as many people know what's going on as possible so if I end up disappearing without a trace the cops have a basic idea of what was going on in my life leading up to it. Wish me luck with my Scooby-Doo esque sleuthing. I am also eternally grateful to my parents for signing me up for karate when I was younger.

Edited by w5aw5

Oh goodness @w5aw5 that sounds so scary. Have you talked to the police about it? The regular police, not just campus security. If there is actually some sort of collusion within the school the regular police may be more able (or more willing) to do something about it. Good luck!!

@HeatherMarie I haven't, because I don't have enough evidence to go to them yet. There's also a stupid law where I live that you're not allowed to take pictures of people without their consent, and given the nature of the situation; I think it's safe to say that they would decline. I can't even get the real names of the people involved, (I tried, but they gave me a false name). On another note, if I can't even do these little things and have the evidence stay in existence; then I can't go to the cops because if I get the wrong person’s name or the evidence disappears then I can be sued by the other people for defamation.

Heights tend to really make me nervous

Also, I don't exactly fear death itself, but more what happens after. The thought of my soul leaving my body and not knowing what exactly will happen after terrifies me (I know this is really illogical considering I'm a Christian, but I can't help but be scared)

Edited by CreatorHolly

19 hours ago, CreatorHolly said:

Heights tend to really make me nervous

Also, I don't exactly fear death itself, but more what happens after. The thought of my soul leaving my body and not knowing what exactly will happen after terrifies me (I know this is really illogical considering I'm a Christian, but I can't help but be scared)

I feel that way about death too. The unknown aspect of it all, that no one really knows for sure what the heck will happen after they die, that's scary. I used to have huge freak-outs about that when I was younger, and it still gets to me if I think about it too much. (And I've recently started going to church, but I'm generally a very logical person so not having any *proof* about what happens after death is still an issue.)

I'm v scared of heights, and the knowledge that soon in gym we'll be making our own harnesses out of a long rope thing to climb isn't helping ;w; I also get worried something'll jump out of me from the dark after I've watched horror games or videos, but that makes sense, I guess. I know there's nothing there, I just... I worry there is.

Also, @w5aw5 I wish you luck :o I have no idea what I'd do in that situation. If anything comes up, tell us, yeah? Of course-- if you want to. I'm genuinely concerned and interested in helping as best I can ^^

Thank you @kittyrules2003. I plan on keeping this relatively updated, so it's good to know that some other people are interested.

Update: Well, on the bright side the stalkers have stopped flipping the bird and laughing at me. On the down side they're still following me around. Although each time I see them they look like they've seen a ghost.

Edited by w5aw5

Going to the doctor, especially to get shots because I hate needles, scares me a lot. Other than my fear of needles/shots, I'm really worried the doctor will find something wrong with me, lol. Unfortunately I have to go get a bunch of shots this summer. :unsure:

13 hours ago, aqub said:

Going to the doctor, especially to get shots because I hate needles, scares me a lot. Other than my fear of needles/shots, I'm really worried the doctor will find something wrong with me, lol. Unfortunately I have to go get a bunch of shots this summer. :unsure:

Can totally relate! I used to have terrible anxiety when it came to needles. I'm better with them these days, but I still don't enjoy it. I've got my flu shot coming up in a couple of weeks. I get it done for free at work since I work in a germy environment and I can't say I'm looking forward to it. 

The fear of diseases itself isn't exactly illogical but sometimes I feel like I am being really illogical about it. Like when I'm experiencing strange pain in the middle of the night I'll have to get up and check that it isn't blood poisoning.

Oh and I'm also terrified of whales.

People seeing me as 'weak', 'stupid', 'useless' etc...

Fractals, man. Just. FRACTALS. I'm fine with space, but inward infinity is something my brain nopes out at. Those videos of zooming into fractal images literally activate my fight or flight response, even though I can't look away because they're so gorgeous with those intricate patterns and pretty colors. D:

whenever i walk in the dark i always start imagining the scariest most possible creature to jump out at me. ;;