Riverwillows

Foods that are Lies!

To be fair, noodle cups are sold by weight too hueh wink.gif

"But the chips need space so they won't be crushed and the noodles need to expand!"

When I was a kid my parents would let me have what they called the chicken 'drumstick'. It wasn't until much later that I discovered that that was most certainly NOT a drumstick. It was merely the drumette. Nice try, dad.

To be fair, noodle cups are sold by weight too hueh wink.gif

"But the chips need space so they won't be crushed and the noodles need to expand!"

When I was a kid my parents would let me have what they called the chicken 'drumstick'. It wasn't until much later that I discovered that that was most certainly NOT a drumstick. It was merely the drumette. Nice try, dad.

I think the difference is when you open the bag of chips, you can see it. When you open the noodle cup it is hidden. They can both be lies, but I think noodle cups are more so tongue.gif

I once saw a picture of some bag of chicken meat that said it contained 100% beef. Something must've gone wrong there.

Like this fancy one? (linked because it's a large picture)

Like it sounds like they were trying to make it fancy to me, but failed apparently

(sorry I've never heard of a caprese salad before and I'm just trying to understand what it is haha)

No, not even like that sad.gif I mean, it actually looked bad, it wasn't even nicely organized. The slabs of goat cheese were roughly shaped (and sized) like this:

user posted image

To me, that's quite a bit too large for a smallish salad. Too much cheese in comparison to the distribution of other veggies. The proportions were just...weird. I was sad that day because I was super hungry and as a lover of salads I wanted to try something new and interesting myself. I saw the Caprese on the menu and thought it sounded good, I asked the waiter what it would be like and it was accurate, save for the weird size and distribution of the actual plate. I was excited to try it but then super puzzled of how the restaurant served it.

Edited by andromedae

No, not even like that sad.gif I mean, it actually looked bad, it wasn't even nicely organized. The slabs of goat cheese were roughly shaped (and sized) like this:

user posted image

To me, that's quite a bit too large for a smallish salad. Too much cheese in comparison to the distribution of other veggies. The proportions were just...weird. I was sad that day because I was super hungry and as a lover of salads I wanted to try something new and interesting myself. I saw the Caprese on the menu and thought it sounded good, I asked the waiter what it would be like and it was accurate, save for the weird size and distribution of the actual plate. I was excited to try it but then super puzzled of how the restaurant served it.

That's crazy, but it would be great if you really loved cheese tongue.gif hahaha.

--

Peanuts aren't nuts?!

"Batman".

Admittedly most of the items I name are due to cultural misappropriations or my parents lying to me or them just straight up not knowing what the hecky heck things are called scientifically or 'in English'.

user posted image

While they do look like a headless, legless bats, or depending on how you choose to see it, the physical manifestation of satan's visage coming forth to tell you all the ways you will suffer for the amount of explicit material on your computer, Water Caltrops, as I only bothered to discover they were called recently, are some kind of aquatic chestnut. You could probably read more about it on wiki.

They used to be a common delicacy every lunar celebration along with gingko and lotus seeds, but have since become very scarce and expensive if at all found. They have a similar texture and taste to russets, albeit firmer, 'sandier' and earthier. I sure miss eating batmen. Absolute blasphemy to cut them open like that btw, their butts should be bitten off and horns grasped and pulled away to reveal a perfectly intact triangular treat. Failing which you would be ridiculed by elders for being an unrefined goon.

Since when did I see fit to devolve this into a 'introduce a local delicacy' thread. Ignore me.

Edited by Redds

Fruit. Most of it, anyway. I'm aware it's got tons of vital nutrients, vitamins and such, however it also contains carbohydrates in high quantities on a general scale. Don't get me wrong, in moderation, fruit can be great! I'm currently following a low-carb diet, which has me feeling wonderful. However, so many of the things I once considered healthy are now off-limits to me. I've learned that food itself is not necessarily healthy, but the way in which you're able to fit any given edible item into your nutritional needs is what makes it truly valuable in terms of healthiness. Carbohydrates in excess are horrid for my body, I could go on and on about their negative effects. Either way (returning to the initial point) I feel better living without fruit, a.k.a nature's candy.

Candy corn. It is not corn. It is also a poor excuse for candy. I swear, every Halloween, they use some kind of mind magic to make me forget they are disgusting.

I once looked at the ingredients of a can of root beer, and realized that it had nothing that actual root beer should contain. It tasted like root beer, and also like Nico candies, but it was not root beer...

This one's more of a error in judgment I made than a lie, but nevertheless it was food that tricked me.

One time, I went to a restaurant to eat Peking Duck, which the restaurant served with all of the duck presented on a plate. Now, there were four leg-like pieces of meat, one of which I ate at the restaurant. Two more legs were consumed by my family, followed by the rest of the food. We weren't able to finish all of the duck so we took some of it home (including the one remaining leg).

The next day, I ate the last leg, noting that it wasn't quite as meaty as the first leg I'd eaten. Around this time, I had begun to wonder why the duck had four legs when the restaurant had clearly labeled it as one whole duck. When I mentioned this to my family, they laughed and told me that the "leg" which I had eaten wasn't really a leg at all, but rather part of the duck's wing. Obviously, I felt quite betrayed by the duck and somewhat silly, but in the end it was still very funny.

Corn is a lie after I took biology in college. Corn is technically a fruit; you nibble on the kernels on both popcorn and corn-on-the-cob, which are seeds. Which "having seeds" has to be the only qualifer for being a fruit.

where I live, alligator tail is a big food. I like it now but the first time I ate it I was convinced that it was just chicken. IDK if that counts as a lie but to baby me it certainly was

I went to Portugal about ten years ago and was at a buffet. Saw some onion rings and grabbed a few.

Ate one and thought it was very rubbery. Turned out to be squid.

I went to Portugal about ten years ago and was at a buffet. Saw some onion rings and grabbed a few.

Ate one and thought it was very rubbery. Turned out to be squid.

how are calamari rings a lie, the name is literally what they are

here in Australia we have Rat Bait, its grilled toast with a mix of cheese, beacon/ham, tomato, egg, & sauce on it

Kiwis have a similar thing call Mouse Traps, I'm told

how are calamari rings a lie, the name is literally what they are

They weren't labelled. And at that time I didn't even know calamari rings were a thing. Onion rings I knew of, and they looked just like them.

Sugar! Or more specifically, that it's not fat that makes you fat but sugar!

and of course eating over your total daily energy expenditure

I just had a banoffee pie. where the heck was the banana ;-;