Riverwillows

Foods that are Lies!

What have you seen or eaten that was not really what it said it was? Like, Rocky Mountain Oysters, are not oysters, but deep fried sheep, goat, and/or pig testicles.

I remember when I was very young (40+ years ago in the 70's), I asked my mom what we were having for dinner. She said "Tube Steaks". Now, I knew we didn't have steaks and roasts except rarely because we were kinda poor, most of our meat dishes were hamburger or chicken. I was excited, because it was a rare treat to have steak, and I loved it. Then when she presented me with a hot dog, I remember feeling such a let down disappointment, that I was depressed for days afterwards. Lol....tube steaks.

What has been your experience?

Cake.

Now that I've gotten the obligatory Portal joke out of the way..."Chicken of the Sea." LIES. None of your products are even in the same biological class as chickens!

For a more serious answer, Pringles. They are not actually potato chips! I'm still going to eat them though, because Pringles are amazing.

Edit to add: Honeybaked Ham's famous hams neither contain honey, nor are they baked. They're coated with sugar, and the sugar is caramelized with a torch. No, really.

Edited by AngelKitty

Don't know if this counts.... When we were little, we were EXCELLENT readers. (Bear with me here !)

And occasionally we had meringues with cream for a special treat, when we visited my grandmother. We LOVED them. (I am still an addict; all donations accepted laugh.gif)

In some book my sister was reading she read about this wonderful treat that the children were given - and working it our phonetically, she was aching to try a merrin gew.

The day she discovered that wasn't how you pronounced it and she had already had them, she was gutted that she had lost out on the treat she was so looking forward to.

Also Toad in the hole and pigs in blankets. smile.gif

I saw at maccas the other day that they have a spinach and feta wrap and I was so excited.

Then I looked at the picture and it looks like it will have like no feta at all. And there's so much egg. sad.gif

I still want to try it but I think it lied. tongue.gif hahaha

What have you seen or eaten that was not really what it said it was? Like, Rocky Mountain Oysters, are not oysters, but deep fried sheep, goat, and/or pig testicles.

I remember when I was very young (40+ years ago in the 70's), I asked my mom what we were having for dinner. She said "Tube Steaks". Now, I knew we didn't have steaks and roasts except rarely because we were kinda poor, most of our meat dishes were hamburger or chicken. I was excited, because it was a rare treat to have steak, and I loved it. Then when she presented me with a hot dog, I remember feeling such a let down disappointment, that I was depressed for days afterwards. Lol....tube steaks.

What has been your experience?

I have not ever ate one but I know what you are talking about. My dad calls them that all the time. When I was little I got confused over what they was until he said they was hot dogs.

To be honest, I don't think I ever had a food that was a lie, probably cuz I have constantly been a picky eater and then when trying new foods, I ask about EVERYTHING in it. Dx

When I first moved to the UK the names of foods were really confusing.

For example:

Welsh Rabbit: I was expecting, you know, rabbit meat or something when my British Friend ordered this for us, what we actually got was a cheese on toast kind of thing. (not that i could even eat it because my friend didn't know I'm lactose intolerant...)

Mince Pies, which are popular this time of year. I was super confused because I expected mince meat, but its not, it's like... really finely chopped fruits like berries with spices and sometimes rum and brandy ect.. and i freaking love them they're so good...

and then there's "LadyFingers"... yeah, not what you think, it's just sponge cake stick things.

or a variety of banana.

or a vegetable used in indian cooking, too. So confusing. xd.png

Technically, "pigs in blankets" is ok, because hot dogs were originally all pork leavings, and wrapped in dough.

And it's not "Welsh Rabbit", it's "Welsh Rarebit", but I guess the accent makes it sound like "Rabbit" lol.....

I have not ever ate one but I know what you are talking about. My dad calls them that all the time. When I was little I got confused over what they was until he said they was hot dogs.

To be honest, I don't think I ever had a food that was a lie, probably cuz I have constantly been a picky eater and then when trying new foods, I ask about EVERYTHING in it. Dx

I can relate. Too much. Dx Why does it have to be so hard to eat new stuff? sad.gif

Then again, there's a 117-years-old woman who has eaten nothing but cookies and eggs for the biggest part of her life, and still only eats cookies and eggs.

About foods that are lies, I've never eaten it myself, but in dutch a certain specific piece of meat - I don't know which... - of various animals, like porks and oxes is called "haas", but that word means "rabbit" as well... so basically those pieces of meat are called "porkrabbit" and "oxrabbit". I guess it's not hard to understand how someone can think they're ordering rabbit.

Then there are also supermarkets that sell "salmontrout", what basically is regular trout, but is claimed to be of higher quality. Explanation by someone who works for a company that produces this "salmontrout" (which btw doesn't appear on the list of all fish that are allowed to be sold for food in the Netherlands) said: "The "salmon" upgrades your trout." Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it? :V

Then there are products that use fruits in their name, which aren't even in the product at all.

I know a dish that literally translates as "Exploded Duck" in modern language, but since it is a pretty old dish the original meaning of the word actually just refers to a method of salting the meat.

I was a bit disappointed when I found out it was actually just something so simple. :/

My mother used to use leftover roast beef, brown gravy, and rice to make what I called "cat food on rice" due to the concoction's resemblance to canned cat food. Tasted great.

Also, one of my favorite lunchtime meals, SOS (aka "inappropriate word for fecal matter on a shingle'"), had a much less amusing and more accurate name of "chipped beef on toast" in normal people's recipe books.

I had a Caprese salad at a restaurant around a month ago. I was served three giant pieces of cheese, three pieces of tomato and like three pieces of green vegetables that I can't remember. They barely filled up half of a small a plate. That was the whole salad. I was so sad. That's not what the actual salad was supposed to look like though, lol, the restaurant wasn't quite good at serving that particular dish. Was expecting a large, beautiful salad not oddly sized pieces of food.

Edited by andromedae

I had a Caprese salad at a restaurant around a month ago. I was served three giant pieces of cheese, three pieces of tomato and like three pieces of green vegetables that I can't remember. They barely filled up half of a small a plate. That was the whole salad. I was so sad. That's not what the actual salad was supposed to look like though, lol, the restaurant wasn't quite good at serving that particular dish. Was expecting a large, beautiful salad not oddly sized pieces of food.

But if we google a Caprese salad, that's what it looks like are giant slabs of mozarella and tomato drizzled with balsamic and basil leaves. Perhaps you were used to a chopped version?

Also century eggs aren't actually a hundred years old.

Technically, "pigs in blankets" is ok, because hot dogs were originally all pork leavings, and wrapped in dough.

And it's not "Welsh Rabbit", it's "Welsh Rarebit", but I guess the accent makes it sound like "Rabbit" lol.....

apparantly the "rarebit" comes from the original spelling being "rabbit", they probably changed it to rarebit to avoid confusion, but my friend definetely ordered "welsh rabbit" =P

Anyway, I also remember being confused by "toad in the hole" as well. and Yorkshire "pudding" and black "pudding" (which I've had before, but it's been called blood sausage instead xd.png)

but I thought pudding meant a dessert... :I

At our university's diner they serve "meat sauce", "mexican meat sauce", "meat sauce with a chinese twist", "meat sauce from outer space" etc. And they all taste the same!! The diner has had complaints of serving every week the same food so their solution is just to name the same food with different countries! Now students complain that the naming doesn't really tell what you are eating.

In EU you can't sell sertain foods with their names if they are not manufactured in sertain areas they are known for (champange is propably the most known). But this really bothers me. Feta cheese can't be called feta cheese if it is not made in Greece.. So here they are called salad cheese. Even though they manufacture the cheese exactly the same way as greek do in Greece you still can't call it feta. WHY???

I also wonder the difference of mandarin, clementine, tangerine and satsuma. In the 90's they were all called mandarin. And I refer to them as mandarin. Still I buy either satsumas, clementines or tangerines from the shop (they don't sell mandarins anymore..).

But if we google a Caprese salad, that's what it looks like are giant slabs of mozarella and tomato drizzled with balsamic and basil leaves. Perhaps you were used to a chopped version?

Also century eggs aren't actually a hundred years old.

It should have looked like this:

user posted image

I wasn't asking for it to be chopped, I do know what a Caprese salad should look like and I believe I did mention mine being just three huge slabs of goat cheese rather than mozzarella (as in, won't fit in my mouth large) and three sad slices of tomato rather than the well-distributed, numerous vegetables seen in the image. As to what can also be noticed about the salad in this image, you can see it fills up the plate pretty well because of its distribution. The salad I was served barely filled out a small plate.

Edited by andromedae

Shepherd's pie.

I remember going to a restaurant and thinking why is a pie in the entree section.

I still got it along with a burger and I was so shocked when I got the shepherd pie...it wasn't really a pie that I was imagining at all.

My favorite sushi restaurant (which sadly is no longer in business, RIP) had an appetizer called a "sushi lollipop".

It was a 5-piece plate, and each piece was a hard-boiled quail egg wrapped in a sesame leaf, skewered, and then tempura-fried with a drizzle of tempura sauce. Delicious, but not at all what you expect from the name?

Edited by TheCompleteAnimorph

It should have looked like this:

user posted image

I wasn't asking for it to be chopped, I do know what a Caprese salad should look like and I believe I did mention mine being just three huge slabs of goat cheese rather than mozzarella (as in, won't fit in my mouth large) and three sad slices of tomato rather than the well-distributed, numerous vegetables seen in the image. As to what can also be noticed about the salad in this image, you can see it fills up the plate pretty well because of its distribution. The salad I was served barely filled out a small plate.

Like this fancy one? (linked because it's a large picture)

Like it sounds like they were trying to make it fancy to me, but failed apparently

(sorry I've never heard of a caprese salad before and I'm just trying to understand what it is haha)

Edited by AppleMango

Ditto

But I remember a cute one. I once got some "Peas and Carrots" Jelly Belly beans. They were orange and lime sherbet, but were shaped like peas and tiny carrots. I thought it was cute.

I have also enjoyed something called "dirt" which was crushed oreos topping a cookies and cream pudding. It even had gummy worms topping it.

I've always wanted to try a dirt pie. Because I love everything it consists of.

But that's just a diabetes trainwreck waiting to happen.

Also Jawbreakers. They don't break jaws. They break teeth. Why aren't they called teethbreakers? Or Mike Tysons? Doesn't slide so well off the tongue I guess.

Edited by Redds

Noodle cups.

Why not Lay's?

user posted image

Also iced gems. They... aren't gems ;n;

Edited by Redds

Why not Lay's?

user posted image

Also iced gems. They... aren't gems ;n;

I don't know if chips count since they are sold by weight. tongue.gif I mean I guess the bag being super huge kind of tricks your brain, so idk. Like, everyone knows the chip bags will have lots of air, but I don't think everyone knows there's a huge gap in the bottom of your noodle cup tongue.gif haha

Once I went to a restaurant and I ordered a food that was a main, but it was definitely not enough. It was $16.50 (AUD) and there was only 4 spinach and feta puffs! There was some salad stuff underneath it too, but it pretty much looked like this:

user posted image

It was super delicious and I'll still go back but I also feel like ugh that's not much food I will be hungryyyyy D;