Zill_15

Dragon size comparison

Well, if a fully grown human stands at a compact car, the human is taller...

On that image, I noticed that the bottom scroll bar does exist when I click to zoom in, but only the top half. Enlarging the Chrome window does nothing.

Opening the window in a new tab does, however, work nicely.

On that chart, the mint is taller than several dragons: Balloon, canopy, Neotropical and Ember, to name but a few.

I'd imagined Embers being almost as big as Stones. I'd also imagined Terraes being a fair bit smaller than they are on the chart.

This is why we need some kind of canon idea. Any kind. Doesn't matter.

My personal favourite would be some kind of comparison to a human, though.

I might get some screenshots and an image editor and try to make a mock-up of some different things.

Edit: I did so:

user posted image

Edited by Zeditha

My personal favourite would be some kind of comparison to a human, though.

I might get some screenshots and an image editor and try to make a mock-up of some different things.

I really like this idea! Would be easy for each artist to contribute individually rather than try and put together a massive chart with all dragons. Also would make it easy for size comparison for future dragons.

The individual size comparison to a human on each breed's encyclopedia page does seem like the most convenient way to do it. But it doesn't get past the rectification of head-canon problem. Some of that will be solved by TJ, but that would mostly be stuff like "your dragon is smaller than I will allow, so it will be bigger than that".

As I said before, if someone thinks of their dragon as a relative term like "large", but then gives a concrete example of a size that turns out not to match their relative feeling based on the sizes given for other dragons, they need to reconsider either the concrete size they gave or their take on their dragon being "large".

I know I won't be able to give a concrete size on my Guardian until I get a feeling for the typical larger size of aggressive dragons. (gentle giants don't really matter) It can't do much protecting if it's just going to get squished by the aggressor.

On that chart, the mint is taller than several dragons: Balloon, canopy, Neotropical and Ember, to name but a few.

I'd imagined Embers being almost as big as Stones. I'd also imagined Terraes being a fair bit smaller than they are on the chart.

When I first posted the fan-made size chart, a lot of the dragons were much bigger than what the newest updated picture shows. Several spriters and artists posted in the thread revealing what their personal canons about their dragons' sizes were, Embers included, so I edited accordingly.

Here's the most recent updated one by the way: https://i.imgur.com/DmN6tmG.jpg

(yeah I need to get on that, what a slacker)

While I too see Embers as being much larger, the size depicted is what the sprinter indicated! Mints are definitely the size of a small compact car, and Terrae are said to browse treetops but also be so large they require photosynthesis to survive. I vaguely remember it being said they were the size of small hills, but unfortunately a lot of info about old breeds is probably long gone by now.

I'm cool with there being no official chart, since that way people can write descriptions and keep their own head canon without being refuted.

Edited by Nine

The size of a compact car is not as tall as the top of a human head. More like shoulder height or a little less. I'm taking a sedan as a concrete example of "compact car", and google says those are 5 feet tall or less.

Then again, the model needs concrete definition, since there are adult humans shorter than 5 feet...

The size of a compact car is not as tall as the top of a human head.  More like shoulder height or a little less.  I'm taking a sedan as a concrete example of "compact car", and google says those are 5 feet tall or less.

I dunno... from what I hear medieval-era compact cars were pretty bulky for their time. I think they only slimmed the models down after switching from oak to birch wooden frames.

I don't remember who made this chart but it has been around for a long time.

http://postimg.org/image/voa71bgct/full/

Yeah while handy for some, that chart isn't accurate. For example, I've always said a vine is the size of a draft horse, and the encyclopedia entry states clearly that its neck is both proportionally short and physically strong enough to fight a struggling buck without injury.

What should probably be done is we artists should decide on and fill out the appropriate information. We do have a place to list average sizes and such.

I dunno... from what I hear medieval-era compact cars were pretty bulky for their time. I think they only slimmed the models down after switching from oak to birch wooden frames.

Yeah - and even with the human reference - I have a 5 foot adult daughter and a 6 foot 6 friend....

Mints are smaller than Pygmies ? (see further up...)

fuzz, mints are the smallest dragons, i.e. regular breeding breeds. Pygmies are the smallest pygmy dragon.

If you don't want the scale, you could always include an entry for the range of a draon's height. Like Tallest found specimen and the smallest found specimen.

You could also just standardize the man sprite to 5'4" or something.

(I say 5'4" because according to google the average height of a man is 5'6" and 5'2" for a woman.)

fuzz, mints are the smallest dragons, i.e. regular breeding breeds. Pygmies are the smallest pygmy dragon.

OK - fair enough. They are DRAGONS, but I take your point.

Yeah while handy for some, that chart isn't accurate. For example, I've always said a vine is the size of a draft horse, and the encyclopedia entry states clearly that its neck is both proportionally short and physically strong enough to fight a struggling buck without injury.

What should probably be done is we artists should decide on and fill out the appropriate information. We do have a place to list average sizes and such.

Viewed from the side and measured to shoulder height, is a draft horse not about a head bigger than an average man, like the chart depicts? I'm not so good with horse breeds; would a Vine instead be closer to the Water dragon height next to it?

Even if it's unofficial, I'd like to make it as accurate a source possible! =o

It would be cool if instead of just a graph with bars which can be hard to decipher (are they on all fours? Back legs? Measured to the head or the shoulder?) there was an image depicting all the sprites at approximate sizes to one another and a 6' human. Basically the same line up we have now, just sprites instead of bars.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

user posted image

I made another mock-up for a case in which the original spriter/concept artist isn't around to give ideas. Either TJ could decide on their size (possibly based partially on the fan chart) or a similar thing could be used to the image.

I support this idea. I dont think it will mess up with headcanons, people can have headcanons even if the canon contradicts it, and the ones that want to see this implemented either doesnt have a headcanon or prefer canon over headcanon. And, in the case the messing up with headcanons is a problem, you can always use a text similar to: "this sizes are only approximates", "This is just a guideline to the possible size of this dragon. Feel free to imagine them as you please", well, maybe that last one is rather specific, but you get the point. For the dragons were the spriter is gone for whatever reason, I think the best solution is to put them just as "unknown" or similar, as much as I like the idea of having a chart or actual size for all dragons.

Anyway, adding myself to the "mint discussion", since the description says they are often insulted as "large lizards", I imagine them like crocodiles/alligators, but much more smaller, 2.5 meters long (head-to-tail) top, and roughly 0.5 meter tall.

Edited by pederino

No support. It's a neat idea, but I don't feel that it's really necessary or worth the effort that TJ and the spriters would need to put into it.