Toodles

So, how do you beat the unique name filter?

Mine are largely inspired by codes, or are related to a personal project of mine. Since they're mostly nonsensical names, I can also reverse that and pick names from my dragons for new characters rather than naming my dragons for characters that already exist. It's very handy, though I usually end up not liking many of the names and tend to change them if I think of something better.

If they're not code inspired, they're usually short snippets I've heard from songs or they're silly names like All The Brine, Pocket Lantern, I Don't Know Where I'm Going, Badly Named Dragon, etc.

I'll also grab show/game reference names when I find them free, or references to books and such. Some of the ones I've grabbed are Halicarnassus (named after the FFXIV enemy, not the city), Giga Puddi, Binky, A Wish For Wings That Work, I Call Her Wendy, Happy Mask Sales Man, The Dark Brotherhood, etc.

I used to use a name generator, but it got to the point where all of the names were taken.

I prefix all my dragons' names with ET3, which was my rate and rank when I left the Navy.

I just use CB and [number]G tags in my dragons' names, with additional markers for spiral, stairstep, arrow and messy lineages, as well as a marker for dragons with dead parents. Sp for spiral, S for stairstep, A for arrow, M for messy and D for "deadline". Outside of these markers, the names of my dragons are mostly random. Lineaged dragons get named after their parents, CB ones are usually named based on whatever words come up in my mind. tongue.gif Sometimes I come up with special themes for different breeds of dragons, like naming most of my Celestials after stuff in World of Warcraft/Elder Scrolls' lore.

My entire naming scheme is loosely based on Warriors, so no surnames, markers or numbers for me, but for example I have some Ridgewing dragons who have "Wisteria" (named after the purple flower) as the first part of their name, and some with "Wysteria", since even though the latter is spelled incorrectly it's technically pronounced the same as the former. (Another one I do this a lot with is "-fire"/"-fyre".) Or if a name I wanted with "-claw" as the second part is taken, I may change it to "-talon" or "-slash". This works with colors too, ex. instead of "Red", I can try "Crimson" or "Scarlet".

tl;dr- Synonyms and playing with the spelling. xd.png

If they're code Dragons that are getting named, I just base something off of their code, no matter how silly it may be.

For my regular Dragons, it's a little more complicated. First, every single Dragon gets a prefix/prefixes based off of their breed, which are typically portmanteau words based either off of the breed name or just something about the breed. So, for example, let's say I'm naming a Sapphire Dragon. Well, sapphire is a type of corundum, and the Dragons are blue (but I picked azure as a more specific color). So, I stuck the words "corundum" and "azure" together to get "Corundazure", and every single Sapphire Dragon on my scroll that isn't a code Dragon will get this prefix. (And the reason I do this is so it's easier to search up Dragons for breeding.)

For the second half of their name, I just look at their code and make something up based off of it that sounds like a name.

And for the last part of their name, I give each one a specific suffix depending on their lineage or status. So, caveborns are "Kaebus", frozen hatchlings are "Fraezus", alts or those descended from alts are "Aeltus", hybrids are "Hiyrdus", unbreedables are "Unbrus", aaaaand Dragons from other lineages (other than Dorkfaces and Thuweds) don't get a suffix 'cause I haven't thought of one (I might separate them out based off of what gen they are eventually).

Originally I was just going to give them names that were only a portmanteau word until I realized that eventually I'd run out of synonyms (my first Dragon--a Sunsong--was first named just "Solanthem"). So then I used the portmanteau word as a sort of first name, then added another name that was based off of those of the parents or off of their code. At one point I had decided to add the suffix "of Retsam" to their names but then I didn't like that and it wasn't specific enough for my organization purposes so I got rid of it.

I usually name their name after their codes but sometimes that names already exist. Then I rename after codes. Or rarely, replace first part of their name into "Kang"(as my family name is Kang.) And breed-specific, all of aeon wyverns' name start with "Ae" and Cestials' are start with "Sp".

i use a code for cb, 2g, 3g, stair etc. (: only if i can use them for lineage purposes though. i use x (name) x for cb, o (name) o for 2g, I (name) I for 3g etc.

the furthest i've gotten is d (name) b for 5g i think...

it's a really neat way for coding and also making sure i get the name i want, too (: if i've decided i want to pair dragons for life, their names are usually related to each other. for example, i named two tea dragons 'x english x' and 'x breakfast x', so when you see their egg in lineage view they come up as 'english breakfast'!

Edited by Sizacu

I usually just use a different name or a variant of the name I wanted. In the case of really caring about a specific name I'll add an extra space if it's at least two words, usually I do this if I'm naming a dragon after a character. But my preferred methods are to add another word, replace a word with a synonym, change the wording, or change a letter if it's not a real word. I don't like suffixes like CB, 2/3/4, etc; I like surnames but I think tags just make a name look messy and not pretty.

I'm an odd person when it comes to naming.

I have been ALL OVER with different naming schemes. First, it was unique names (Demon name generator was my favorite!). Then it was CB/2nd Gen/3rd Gen etc in names. Then it was roman numerals in names.

Finally, I just decided on plain old English names. Of course, a lot of nice English names are gone already. If I really, really want that name, I'll put spaces in it. Otherwise I just go onto the next name I like.

I decided on plain old English because people are so picky about names on this game that I could never get a trade with my oddly named dragons. So, yeah.