Toodles

So, how do you beat the unique name filter?

Most of mine have the prefix "Auz" in it, which opens me up to most things. To make things easier when looking for the right dragon, I also include generation.

However, if a dragon is not from ym scroll, I normally splice the names of the parents - unless I can pick out the naming theme of the lineage, then I'll try and continue it - and often include the prefixes/suffixes of the lineage as well. laugh.gif

I just don't name my dragons, lol. =p

To be fair, I'm on a site without a unique name filter, and I still don't name my creatures there either. xP

Big fan of Tolkien here, so I usually name my dragons in Elvish (Quenya and Sindarin), with the English translations as surnames. Usually the names are descriptions of the breed, or, if lineaged, of the lineage. So for a Grave from Lunar Heralds, I've got Baraha Ithil Burning-Moon. I've got a few goofy names, and some named after their parents, but they're mostly Elvish.

I use CB more to remember which dragons are CB and which aren't than to get around the name filter, but it does help with that too.

Otherwise, my usual recourse is a surname or a variation. I use a variety of surnames (for example, all my CB Desipis and their descendents have the surname Vorare). For when a surname won't work for some reason I'll do variations. Say if I wanted to do Golden Rose but it was taken, I might try Gilded Rose, Gilt Rose, Golden Roses, et cetera, until I found one that wasn't taken.

I do "take over" surnames, though I don't see it as 'taking them over', but rather as simply continuing their lineage surname. It never occurred to me that that would bother anyone, TBH. I figured people would enjoy it, just like I enjoy when people carry on my surnames. I guess, except for any I get with the Nova name, I won't worry about it unless someone specifically asks me to change a name. Hard to find out who's OK with it and who isn't otherwise. And I have far too many dragons to change them all. tongue.gif

I have a friend who bases all her names on the dragon's code: z9fa3 would become something like Zegfae. She even collects dragons with codes that sound kind of like names or which turn easily into names.

Edited by Lurhstaap

I basically have 4 templates for naming my dragons, and they have little to do with anything - just how I'm feeling.

1. "A (adjective) (noun)" e.g. - "An Anachronistic Analogy"

2. Titling - e.g "Cathartidae the Marrowfiend"

3. Ownership - e.g. "The Sun's Cheeky Courier"

4. A description of embodiment - e.g. "Of Ghostly Nature" and "Mistaken for Mercury"

My Tinsels, Xenos and Dorkfaces have their own nameschemes - Tinsels are named after egyptian pharaohs and queens, Xenos in latin descriptions, and Dorkfaces are whatever. Inbred dragons will always have "Inbred" in their name somewhere.

I usually name things after their code (including my nicely coded dragons, but only so that I don't lose them while their growing), and since most of those names are taken I'll either add an apostrophe after the first letter or before the last. (ex. "Ditsy" would be "D'itsy", "Dits'y", etc.)

When I name my dragons other things I don't usually have problems with the limit because they can be such random things. |D I don't follow a set name style outside of specific lineages.

RE: Long names stretch the lineage view.

I thought that was only the old view? I have an entire line with the longest possible names on each dragon, and they don't stretch the view anymore. Anyway, I still understand why some prefer short/consistent names.

I just try to beat the filter xd.png

I don't use any surnames or anything, so I have to try around until I find a fitting name that's not taken. I do cheat occasionally if I really like the name and use a double space laugh.gif

I use mixed tactics. I first go with the name I want to use and if its taken then I will either s p a c e o u t the name if its short (because I think it looks cool) or I'll use numbers to replace letters, like 3 for E and 0 for O.

Other times I'll name it after the code or I'll continue the family name if it has a nice lineage. If it has any Spriter's Alts in it I'll try to form a name based on some of those dragons. If it's a Thuwed or Dorkface I'll keep those names and toss in a first name that matches well.

Other times I'll look what the english word of what I want to name it and see if it has a different word in another language. ex: Sakura instead of Cherry Blossom.

I also name my dragons after my favorite characters from games and movies, 'cuz sometimes I'm a total nerd. xd.png

My name scheme for CBs is "[name] Of/In Yellowstone". "Of" is especially helpful because I can cheat it with "0f" if necessary. I've gotten a lot less strict about it and do a lot of "[name] Yellowstone", "Yellowstone [name]", etc sort of variations now. Or I just skip the Yellowstone bit entirely and do some totally random name.

If I want a more broad name its a bit of a tossup. If its multiple words I'll add extra spaces but that's usually as far as I'll go. If its that big an issue to give a dragon the name I want I'll usually just give up and let them enjoy being nameless.

I use "OokamiRyuu's" (my scroll name) as a prefix. It make names long, but I thought it would make sure that I could use any names I wanted without trouble.

Sadly I've gotten the problem that people picking up eggs bred by me from the AP has starting to use my prefix though, but since there isn't any way for me to stop them from doing that I'll just have to deal with it when they've "stolen" a name I would have liked. *small shrug and smile*

Beyond that my naming is pretty random. If the dragon have parents I usually try to name the offspring something inspired from their names if they have any.

Otherwise I use everything from completely randomly made up names, inspired by the code, names from generators and name sites, random stuff popping into my head, things from the dragon's breed description, a few words I'm hearing at that moment from an audiobook I'm currently listening to, well.. basically anything. (;

All the dragons on my scroll have the surname Nova, a reference to my username. I also name most of them after their codes, offspring of named parents get a portmanteau of their parents' names (unless that wouldn't work out).

Though sometimes I still don't get the names I originally wanted because, sadly, some people like to take over surnames, so there's a number of my dragons' offspring also named Nova that aren't on my scroll. I really bothers me when they do that, but it's not like I could stop them.

I love when people name their dragons with the same last name as mine or based O:

They probably have no idea that you don't like it x-x

I do that a lot as I like to name dragons after parents.

I usually use Zek in the name somewhere. Sometimes as a prefix but usually as a suffix. I wanted something short so it didn't take up too much of the character allowance and something meaningful - Zek is a drow name meaning dragon.

I also add letters to the front of Zek as a descriptor as I wanted something that still looked nice on the lineage page. For instance C'Zek is an checker lineage, I'Zek is inbred, and I have a few others.

And I do get a kick out of seeing the name continued in the descendents. biggrin.gif

I usually name my dragons really weirdly or after inside jokes, but certain species get a last name, typically the newer halloween dragons.

So my sweetlings are all ____ prisims, my Grave dragons all the Nightmare ____ , My Desipis are all Armored (some sort of monster or beast), my Caligines are all ____ deadthings, and my witchlights are all ____Blackbrair.

I also give my twoheadded dragons two names, one for each head.

My CBs have original names. A very few have 'CB' in the name, because I wanted to follow a theme for the breed.

Everything else has the gen in the name, and what type it is. e.g. 4EG for 4th even gen, 4PB for 4th purebred, 4SP for 4th spiral, etc. This helps with naming, but more than anything, it helps me to know which is what gen.

So because my user is BlackJade, I add BJ as a tag to all my names(Yeah, not the best idea on my part. I know).

This didn't actually become a problem until 2016 Christmas breeding, when my first two trades were denied because people didn't like the tag.

I dont have CB on any of my caveborns, I just try to give them unique names (My CB gold male is Prince Mononoke BJ).

The only dragons I have any kind of code on are my black Dragons. I have 35+, and I have to keep the Generations in order cause I attempt to breed alts a lot(and you know how people are about lineages).

I use the suffix: namekiko. can't remember why but that is what i do and i got a little

overexcited tongue.gif when someone who picked one of my dragons in the AP and named the

offspring with my suffix namekiko.

Edited by black-shado

I use giggly at the end of my dragon's name.

For the dragons that aren't in a specific lineage or in a lineage that I'm working on I'll use lineage indicator in their name

CB - caveborn

2g

e - even

d- parents are different breeds

st- stair

s- parents are same breeds

ng- no good...messy lineage

Once they're in a lineage that I'm no longer working on bc it's complete I'll remove the lineage indicator from their name and change it to roman numerals at the end to indicate generation.

Edited by gigglymonkey12

Sometimes I do surnames, sometimes I name based on the code, and sometimes I like to mash the parents names together in some way to create a new, unique name. None of those very often, since I'm very bad about naming my dragons. ^^;

I may add surnames (like many of my Reds are suffixed "Pyre Pop"), use fantasy words from games ("Pseudobushiahugiflora" from Legend of Kyrandia), use names from other languages or simply invent words ("Enlightive"). And then there are z-codes of course - some good names may be taken without a z, but with the z they are still available smile.gif

I sometimes use the names of (sometimes obscure) books/novels to name dragons, and sometimes I'll use song lyrics. Sometimes I'll just make up a descriptive phrase. And then other times, it's a combination of the parents' names or inspired from the parents' names. Of course, either way, I usually try to stay true to the breed's physical appearance and/or their description.

I either make the name so ridiculous that nobody would use it (since most of my dragon names are joke names), I put ' or - in the name, do "___ the 2nd", or do "The name __ is taken" if it's a short name. (i named some of my dragons "smol the 2nd" and "the name smol is taken", for example)

I name my dragons after their parents, and use info about the breed to name caveborns. It is kinda fun to see if somebody else uses the parents names to name their new dragon.

I use the code to make a name. First i take the code (down below is an example).

1lTir

And then I say it out, and add letters until it makes (slight) sense.

Onilatira