ShadowMonster

Nalom

(((the handles are wood 'dough)))

David carefully slid off his horse, the jolt of hittingthe ground made his knees flare in protest. he was too old for this. Maybe all this exercise and exitement would get him in better shape. he grabbed his horse's reigns and followed the two into the woods. these trees didn't quite look right. Their canopys were thiner than the last place he camped. david chalked it up in the "things he didn't understand" list and continued after the two.

He tied his horse up with the others but paused. These guys made it very clear that they didn't trust him.. Very clear. he unbuckled his belt and drapped it across his horse's back. Now unarmed, he dropped his bag in the clearing and started rummaging through it, pulling out his pot and setting it on the ground beside him, "What do you guys want to eat? I got rice and beans and...some apples", he said, keeping his attention in his bag, "I got some dired...stuff. I think it's meat".

Rain listened to phill and David as he walked away. When their voices faded from his mind he stopped a little ways away.

Looking around he seen the lifelessness of the woods. Feeling drained and sad he sat down under a tree leaning his back agains it. Looking up at the sky filled with beautiful colors rain felt hollow and he wasnt sure why. It could have been because of the death around him or it could have been just feom the events of the day.

Bending over rain pulled his knees up to his chest and set his head down cradling if in his arms. It was nice to have quietness arpund him. Its what he was used to and he had had a over abundance of social interaction. He know he would have to go back eventually but for now he just needed to sit and think.

Phill was about to go after rain but stopped simply calling out to him "be careful, if anything happens let me know, i don't like this place!" He felt off and sad that rain left him alone to deal with this other guy but knew rain needed to calm down and relax.

Phillsighed softly as he looked at david and pushed against a small tree that was near to him surprised that it cracked like any more pressure and he may break it. He sat on the ground as he was asked what he wanted for dinner. "I will be fine with an apple i guess though i'm not sure what he wants."

David removed an apple from his bag and handed it over. Rising to his feet and streching his back, he paced around the campsite, grabbing dead limbs and dry grass. After a few minutes, he had a decent pile of tinder. He felt around his pockets with a confused look until he found what he was looking for. He crouched down and tossed the small, lime green bic lighter on the dirt in front of him. It was out of fuel, been that way for months but David knew a prison trick to get around that. he rolled up his pants leg and started picking lint. After he had a little pinch, he stuffed the fibers into the mouth of the lighter. A few strikes of the flint and the cotton fibers caught a spark. He pressed his birdnest into the tiny orange flame and blew. Smoke began to billow from the ball of dry grass so David quickly buried it under the moung of twigs and sticks. It wasn't long before the small fire gained enough heat to produce a decent little campfire.

David sat cross legged in front of his boiling pot. Stirring it every so often, Him and Phil sat in silence. Very silent. David noticed that there wasn't even bird song to fill the air. the horses seemed restless, all but the one he was riding. He was just munching on the browning grass like nothing was wrong.

Phill took the apple and after smelling it to make sure it was ok he took a bite. He enjoyed the taste of the apple as he watched david make a fire, not nearly as easy for him as it was rain. He didn't have anything to say to the other guy. He hated the silence but didn't trust this guy or even like him so he was not ready to open up to him or talk at all. Eventually the silence got to him. With two more bites out of the apple he looked over at him "thanks for the food."

David took the pot off the stove and set it on the ground in front of him to cool off. He really wished he had some salt or something. He had a suspicion that salt could have been used to buy a horse in this place. After letting his food cool, he drew his buck knife from his belt and began using it as a makeshift spoon.

"thanks for the food." the boy across the fire said.

David looked up in surprise, oh, he speaks he thought, settling his face back to stone.

"Oh! Yeah...no problem" he said after swallowing another mouthful of rice, "There's more if you want it". He went back to eating in silence. fox-friend didn't want to talk, he wasn't going to make him.

Rain sat for a good hour or more just listening and calming his soul. When he felt better he stood and started to make his way back. It was a slow process but that was ok with rain. He was feeling content inside and refreshed with himself. Although the scenery was starting to get to him.

By the time he made it back to there camp he was more than a little creeped out with the place but it was kind late and he was tired. Figuring that he would work out what to do tomorrow he headed to his sack when he came to the camp. Glancing at phill and the fire with food cooking he ignored David, rummaging around he pulled out his tent supplies. Walking a little ways away from them he layed out a piece and left the other in the bag. He know he should eat before going to bed but he didnt feel up to it so instead he layed down and curled up faceing away from the fire so the light wasnt in his eyes.

It look a little bit over the small burst of noises from phill and David along with the fire for him to fall asleep but eventually he did. Occasionally he would turn over and give a growl or whimper but the sleep was a lot better than the previous night. Still though somewhere I. His mind his body missed the warm and contact of another person.

(((Ready to time skip. Yay we've made page 10 thanks guys.))))

Edited by Acornia

Phill nodded and had another apple, he wasn'ta big talker but he knew to thank someone when they give you food or help you in any way. He let his ears twitch while he looked around the area letting himself relax soon after.

When rain went to get some rest phill was a little upset that he didn'teat but couldn't force him so let it go. He began to hear the whining of rain that let him know he was having nightmares. He put out the otherpieces setting it up fir david"you can have that one to rest, i am going to get some rest too and see if i can't help him out." Phill tried to keep his emotions out of his voice but the slightest amount of care slipped in his voice, even if it didn't his golden eyes revealed his worry in the fire's light.

Phill walked over and got onto the dsane piece as rain though he ended up mostly off of it. He let his arm lay over the growling mans chest and began to hum softly, an old lulaby that he had forgotten the words too. As he hummed he began to slowly drift off calming himself as well as hopefully calming Rain, still keeping his sword within arms reach just in case.

(((Sure TIMEWARP!!!!!!1111)))

David Went through his normal waking up ritual. Open eyes, hate being alive, finally get up ad groan from sleeping on the ground. David crossed the campsite to his bag to grab breakfast. With an apple clinched between his teeth, he walked to the horses. His gun belt had slipped off his horse in the night so he retrived it off the ground. Glancing back at the sleeping foxes, he clipped the belt around he waist and adjusted his pants to a comfortable position. The campfire had smothered itself out in the ight and was now just a smoldering dark ring in the center of the campsite.

A hard tug on the back of his head caused him to whirl around, hand on his pistol. His horse gave another weird neigh/laugh and nodded it''s head up and down. David scowled and rubbed the back of his head, "*censorkip.gif" he muttered and walked back to his makeshift bed to pack it up and wait for the two to wake up.

Rain wake to the sounds of someone moving around the campsite. From the arms and legs tangled around him he assumed that it must have been david as phill was currently trying to smother him. Turning over on his side he examined phills face. He looked peace full in his sleep, like his worries were gone. Curling up some he snuggled into him sniking his neck before crawling back and getting up. Rain stretched with his arms over his head anf felt his spine pop all the way up.

Feeling satisfied he glanced around the small area noting thar the fire was out and that david was munching on a apple. He gave him a couple more seconds of his time before he turned to find wood to restart the fire. They were going to be there for a little bit to talk so there was no reason to sit in the chilly morning air.

Walking off into the wood he came back about 10 minites later with his bladder empty and a arm full of wood. Going to the fire he dumped his load down with a huff. Straightening back up he dusted him self off while looking at the pile of wood. After a second the wood caught and a fire dept to life greedily eatting away at the wood.

Taking that his job was done he found a place to sit across from david. Tahing his seat on the ground he glanced around once more before his stomach gave off a growl. Ignoring it he started into the fire waiting for someone to say something as he didnt really feel like talking.

Phill gave a soft whine and moved his headslightly as his neck was sniffed. He didn't wake up right away when rain left him but started searching for the warmth as well as the comfort. When the wood was dropped in a pile he realised it was time to get up. He rolled onto his hands and knees and stretched like a cat would hearing the cracks and pops while his body relaxed. He walked off behind a tree to relieve himself before hunting quickly coming back and sitting besides rain. He set the rabbit beside rain hearing his stomach growl. "Well i don't like this forest, think the town's the same?"

Rain glanced at phill as he sat down taking the rabbit feom him. Retrieving one of his daggers he set to skinning and gutting it right there. He would dispose of the extra stuff in the fire.

"Well i don't like this forest, think the town's the same?" Rain nodded his head at phills question. A solemn look on his face.

"Yes, although something worries me. Remember back at the cave when the darkness was like a wave. It killed everything it touched. Well out here its more like it's just eating the life of the land and not the things upon them. " Rain was silent for a minute before continuing.

"My giess is that the wave is what comes first. It kills the small things, the foot soldiers if you will, and leaves way for this corruption to seep in and take their place." Waving his hand around he indicated the surrounding area.

Looking back down the way they had come he sighed.

"As bad as it sounds though at least we dont have to worry about it killing is in our sleep as its front line is behind us. I would be suprised if we found d people of any kind infront of us though." Rain finished skinning and gutting the rabbit taking the fur and other stuff and throwing them into the fire, willing it to burn brighter and hotter to eat them up. The smell it created was lile a sick reminder of what was happening to the area.

Making a split he put the rabbit up to cook over the smoke of its own flesh while he glance around some more.

Phill sighed as he stood up after listening to rain speak a little. "That is what seemed to happen to the cave at least, my question then if that is how it works why is whatever it is leaving absolutely all life dead including the trees the grass, even the water seems to just become unusable for anything. If it was something taking over than it would be better off leaving the plants and water at least i would think so." Phill sighed and shook his head as he watched rain cook the rabbit. He began to hum as he took his sword out practicing his sword play before aiming his sword at the tree and touching the blade, using the blade to direct his lightning gave him much better control over it, watching as it hit the tree he was aiming for with a loud crack, sending the tree toppling over. His only and biggest problem was learning how to absorb the electricity without the fear he may fail and get hurt,the last time he failed at it was with lightning and that left him injured for a while. Static electricity was the easiest way to get it but then he would need to wait days before it was amped up piwerful enough to be used as an actual weapon instead of just a distraction.

Rain watched as Phil got up and practiced his sword skills. He wasnt bad but he wasnt fantastic either. He reminded rain of his early day of training.

"Doom and gloom aside have you ever used a sword before." Rain jumped slightly when phill let loose a bolt of lightening that succeeded in knocking a tree over. This set the hair on his tails and ears to stand on end.

Gentaly running his hands over his tails he worked any residual electric energy out of his hair with a few unwanted zaps. Turning his attention back to phill he remembered the daggers that david had given to him yesterday. Getting up from his spot on the ground he went to fetch his bag by there sleeping arrangements. Rummaging around he pulled out a little grey stone that fit into the palm of his hand.

Putting both the stone and bag down he picked up the tarp amd folded it up placing it into the bag that was now by the fire. Taking g his seat by the warmth and light he picked the wetstone back up and spit on it. Rubbing it around he got a good section of it wet and then started in on sharpening the dulled blades.

David kept quiet as the other members of the party began to stir and move around the campsite. He watched with mild intrest as Rain gutted and preped the rabbit Phil caught. with it rosting over the fire, He pulled out another apple and took a bit. He listened with intrest as he spoke about his experience with the Darkness sucking the life from everything.This piqed his intrest. So thats what's going on? This darkness plaque was doing all this to the countryside? "Are you sure that rabbit would be safe to eat?" he asked, eyeig the roasting mammal over the fire, "I haven't heard any birds or animals since we got here. WHere did it even come from?". They might not like him but he remembered his irst day on the road. "II got a ride out of town from a father and son whose entire crop had rotted in the ground overnight. Their livelyhood, poof gone. They were hopig to sell it in the next town as pig feed.

David watched as the other fox clumsily swung his sword around behind Rain. The surprising part was when he fired a bolt of lightning from the tip and struk the tree beofre him. So thats what he meant when he said "Electrocute him and steal his supplies"". Not to mention that the other boy started the fire just by looking at it. david still felt as though he had an adantage with his new weapons but still, it was strange to see. A scraping sound turned his attention to the boy across from him. He was sharpening the dagger he gave him against a whetstone, "Sorrry they kinda suck. I got them off a couple of bandits my first day", he explained.

Phill looked over at david and sighed "it was like it was running from the way we came, honestly i think something scared it this way so i am not sure if it is all to safe to stay here but the rabbit is safe." Phill liked the feel of the short sword he had baught and was getting better at it slowly but surely. Phill looked over at rain who had just flattened his furr "no i have used mostly my fists before never a sword."

David rolled his eyes but stayed silent. It kinda felt like an excuse but he wasn't going to call him out on it. That would be petty and stupid. David was already on their bad side and argueing didn't seem like a good idea. David took a swig from his water bladder to quinch his parched tounge and offered it to Rain and Phil. It was a little less than half full. David had another one in his bag but he didn't know how long it would last. He was running low on food as well. He wondered it food in the next town would be safe.

He had another troubling thought. LOoking back at the horses, he spoke up, "When was the last time you guys watered your horses?" he asked. They had been eating grass since he woke up but they hadn't passed any streams or even a puddle on the road. Last thing they needed was their horses to collapse on their way to town. They still had another day of travel and DAvid wasn't too keen on walking again.

Rain took the water and sucked up the water. Passing the bag on he looked over at David giving a grunt. Was he stupid, there had been no water and no supplies for the last couple of days. Of course there was no water to water the horses.

Standing he bent grabbing the rabbit. Tearing the rabbits hind legs off he handed it to phill before walking to his horse.

Gently laying his hand on its main he scratched its neck and rubbed its ears before swinging up onto its back. Waiting a coulpe of seconds for it to settle he turned it to the road.

"Coming" he said before taking off down the way. He took his time giving them a moment to finish and catch up. It also gave him time to ponder what to do about said and about the horse. Hopefully they would come across another person or caravan.

(((((A few hours time skip.)))))

After a couple of hours riding in the heat and light of the day rain was tired again. Things wasnt looking any worse but they werent looking any good. Still though he had seen a few animals such as birds and small rodents. Nothing substantial but it was a start. He suspected that they had come running from the south seeking shelter that wasn't there.

The terrain had changed slightly, from the rock paths up and down hills into flattened land. The trees thined and grew sparse giving less places to hide. A few times rai. Had passed little areas where a pile of bones lay decorating the road and other times he came across wagons left abandoned. It unsettled him, he could feel the center of his being screaming that they should turn back and seek shelter someplace brighter, more prosperous.

Still rains ears and eyes picked up the subtle sounds of movement and singing in the distance. As they drow closer he could make out the shape of people moving about wagons and horses eatting and drinking from buckets.

Slowing his pace he waited til phill and David caught up, nodding his head in indication toward the group he looked between the two before his eyes feel on phill in a silent internal discussion. Rain felt that it may be a good idea to stop and seek shelter for the night. They only had a day left to go but it would be better if the horsed had proper food and water. Hopefully they were a peaceful people and where making there way north and not scavengers taking advantage of the mayhem. Rain doubted it through from the music but they would have to chance it and see.

(((Those horses should be dead xd.png)))

David didn't saya wrod the whole trip further south. He didn't have anything to say and making causaly conversation only gotten him stares loaded with daggers. The horses were looking worse and worse with each mile they passed. He felt bad for the beautiful male he was riding. It seemed to be following the others on it's own accord. DAvid stopped holding the reigns a while ago and just went along for the ride.

(((Then the TIMEWARP™!!! happens)))

The party came to a hault on the edge of the road. he looked at Rain questioningly. What was he staring at? Davad followed his gaze and his eyes fell upon a circle of wagons out in a field. The sound of music and the smell of cooked meat drifted towards them, causing David's stomach to growl. He glanced between the two foxes then back at the camp, "well. I vote we talk to them" he said after a few seconds of akaward silence, "What do you think, boy?". He patted his horse, talking directly to him because the others wern't too keep on speaking. David was surprised when the horse neighed and bobbed his head up and down.

(((Ironically, I think David has the highest Charisma out of the party. He was a con man after all)))

Edited by padfoot

Phill took a small drink of water before handing it back to david. Phill took the rabbit leg and began to eat it quietly. Phill gave his horse a pet on its mane and got onto it, hurrying to keep up with rain.

After the horses were going he got up beside rain and smiled.phill sighed softly "they may end up trying to attack us, if you really want to we can see but we should be careful at least."

Rain glanced behind him at David with a raised eyebrow. He didnt know why he felt the need for him to ask his horse but rain didnt question him. He wouldnt have to worry about him in another day or two anyway. But he did agree with him. There horses where looking a little thin and they had been sluggish all day.

Giving a nod he speared the horse onward to the caravan. As he got closer he could pick up the scents of food and water for both there human amd animal compainions. Music filled the air and it looked as if people where dancing around a fire they had built. Rain glanced back at phill and david to see if they thought this behavior was odd.

"Papa we have company" rains head whipped back around at the sound of a girl yelling. The caravan was almost in a complete circle with a opening of about 15 feet to make it easy to move in amd out. The girl had been standing in one of the wagons half hidden by a canopy over it to protect its prescious contents.

After she spotted them she leaped from the back and landed neatly on the ground. Something rain was in accustomed to. The music died down but didnt stop as a couple of older barely looking men stepped out and stood blocking the entrance.

Most of the poeple that rain could see appeared to be lizard men and Minotaurs. In the back rain could see a couple of non animalistic people. A old and weathered elf stepped out to inspect there little troop of misfits.

"Who are you and what has brought you here." He asked in a gravely voice torn and ruined with age.

Edited by Acornia

Phill smiled and began to look around as the girl began yelling to her papa. Phill inspected all of the other people before his eyes met the elven man. He wasn't sure what to say right away but seeing the bigger guys he figured they didn't plan on just letting them in. He let david do the speaking as he could only look between the others "we are traveling south, i am a simple wanderer ever since my home was destroyed by a wave of darkness."

Rain glance between phill and david then back to the elf questioning them. He didnt blame them for being cautious of new comers but from the music and dancing they could tell they were celebrating something even in such a bad place in darkend times.

When the old man looked to rain for his reason he shrugged his shoulders and pointed his thumb at phill and david nonchalantly.

"With them." He said sill watching the dancing. They were easy steps to follow. The dance almost reminded him of one he had seen doing a mission. There had been celebrations and music and food that day to.

The old man took them into regards again nothing the few weapons they had along with the look of there horses. Coming foward he took a second to look them all in the eyes for a minute.

"I see you and your horses are a little worse for wear. How about you join us for the night. If you do you must relieve you weapons to my daughter. She will watch over them and make sure no harm comes there way. I ask for our safety as much as yours." With that the old man turned and retreated inside while his daughter took his spot.

"Please sirs, you weapons then come join use for our festivities. You may have them back when you leave or when you have proven trustworthy." She said while holding her hand out.

Phill tilted his head as the elven man stared at him causing his ear to twitch slightly. He enjoyed the music while he began to watch the people dancing. Phill got off his horse and handed his sword to the girl before patring Rain's leg. "Rain stop staring, you need to hand over the daggers then you could get a closer look at the dancing."

Rain looked away and hopped down off of his horse rumminging around in his clothes for his daggers. Pulling one out of his boot and another out of a chest pocket and a third out of his vest he handed them over.

She took them graciously before stepping aside.

"You are welcome in now."

Stepping aside rain walked in tugging his horse with him. Walking to the water and feed buckets he dropped his horse off to a young man who took them and tied them to a post.

Continuing on he found a darkend area to lean against a wagon. Something about the dance was interesting. He would never dance but that didn't stop him from liking the away it was preformed.

"Excuse me sir, some food and drinks for you."a little boy came up and handed raina bowl of food and a mug of some liquid. After the boy left rain held the food up to his nose taking a sniff. It didmt smell poisoned, actually it smelled fantastic. Taking a seat on the ground he leaned against the tire and dug in.