ShadowMonster

Nalom

Dauoa looked back at phill for the first time in about ten minutes. "Dont you think I've done that, but there is only so many dead bodies I can eat. Once they get past a certain point of decay I cant eat them."

Rolling back to the front he looked around, skinner had brought the wagon to a stop infront of a small iron gate, rusted from years of wear. Small stones stuck up out of the ground here and there, some accompanied by a fresh layer of dirt. They were graves, skinner had brought them to a graveyard.

"Go crazy" skinner waved his hand with a lit cigarette around, he spot as if he didnt care that they were here. Was this the suprise he had from earlier. Jumping out of the wagon he padded over through the gate, stopping at the first gravestone.

"Do not leave this cart, no matter what" glancing back skinner jumped out and went to the back where phill was. A large wooden trunk sat there and he riffled through it. A few minutes later and a line of a powdery silver substance lay on the ground.

Skinner climbed back into the drivers seat of the wagon and dauõa watched him, not quiet sure what to do. He couldnt dig up a body by hand and even if he did, he most certainly didnt want to eat it infront of skinner and phill. They would find it repulsive, and skinner ... he may leave.

Glacing at the graveyard and back to skinner he was somewhat suprised when he meet Skinners eyes. A slight nod as he popped the locket open.

With the release of the locket dauõa felt his heart give a couple of hard beats. His vision blurring as he adjusted to the other form. Bone snapped giving a audible sound as the broke and changed shape. Dauõa dropped to the ground while his legs reformed and his hands grew larger. It was pain full, throughing his head back he screamed, halfway through it turned feom the tortured sound of a young boy to the enraged roars of a beast.

To long he had been kept from this form. Raiseing to a standing position he turned and faced the cart. Before them stood a slightly different sight from the previous encounter with him. A tall black monster with long spindly arms and legs, both tipped with deadly claws. Hair long and bristle like started from his head and extended to his shoulders and chest. Where his mask once sat was fine small hair. A head much like the deer shaped his face, but pieces of a more predatory animal came through. Large sharp teeth filled his mouth which hung open, his deer ears pointed out as he watched and listened the two in the wagon.

Dauõa took a step to them but stopped. The silver stuff agitating his nose. Turning he left for the graveyard. He ignored all of the graves that had grass growing over them, they had been there to long. Instead he went to a small grave along a fence line. Bending to take a look, a small small stone layed across it. It was just a marker for the spot. A reminder for someone who wished to visit, but it wouldn't matter.

Long fingers curved into the dirt pulling up a large chunk. Glancing back at the cart he gave it a chuck in that direction. Dirt rained down from the sky as he set to work clearing out the small grave. He wasnt far from phill and skinner, and there displeasure at being covered in dirt reacted him. But when his hand and claws found what it was looking for he disregarded them. Reaching in dauoa pulled out a leg, the rest of the body following shortly.

Dauõa looked at the small body, that of a child before looking back to skinner and phill. He really didnt want to eat in front of them. Glancing to the back of the graveyard he seen that the fence wasnt to high, easily jumpable.

"Can I leave, I'll come back." His gravelly voice filled the air. He was a little embarrassed to ask, but he didnt want skinner to think he was running away.

"I will eat and come back." Dauõa took a step in that direction, hoping skinner didnt stop him.

---+++-

Rain looked from bec to theon before heading off in the direction they had come from. He assumed the dog was bec by the neckless that was around his neck. And it was good that he was in that form as it would make traveling easier. But he wasnt sure how long she would stay that way.

"So theon, bec, I guess first thing we need to do is get a couple of horses . To bad we still dont have thw wagon. We could get a small buggy or carage. Something with bed in the back. Also I saved my bag, with has all of my traveling supplies. Unfortunately for bec I'm sure, I only have one set. And I'm sure theon has his own." Rain waved his hand as he walked over the unsteady ground and out of the fog. It was clearing up and dissipating as eskia got farther away.

------

Getting tired of looking at shane and waiting for a reply eskia looked over at her other companion. David was being quiet and just walking at a slow pace. She could tell he didnt like being separated from rain and phill. But he would see them again. Eventually.

"So david, how would you like to travel. Its a long ways to the forest, and even more depending on what we find. Here in nalom there is many ways to travel. You just have to find them." A twinkle showed up in her eyes. She could try to put him on a olick. They were dangerous, but man where they fast. And beautiful. Good luck catching one though. Even beast masters who has had them from when the hatched have trouble with them.

"How about a glider for the air, or maybe a horse for the land if you dont like flying. For a more exotice animal on land, a cunda. Its a large feline like animal, very good at climbing."

Phill was relaxing when they arrived at a graveyard and stopped. He nodded "i know there are only so many dead bodies but like i said if someone was to attack us that is more dead bodies. ".

He looked at skinner and sheugged "it's not like i have anywhere i want to go anyways i am simply just waitfor dauoa to eat and feel better so that we could go where we need to and not have to worry about his health mental or physical." He had watched as dauoa transformed into a large monsterous creature and got close to the wagon before turning around to go find something. He he looked at dauoa holding the body and sensed that the other male was nervous afraid of what he or skinner may think of him. Phill smiled at dauoa while seaking "don't worry about what i will think it is what you must do to survive, it seems that you are shy so i can always turn around while you eat."

"How about we hitch a ride from one of these beasts, get to our goal faster, and be home in time to eat dinner? If that goes wrong, killing doesn't hurt!" Shane said, laughing at his own joke. "Ain't that right davey?" He added on, trying to wedge his way into the man's thoughts. Maybe he could figure out the clockwork of the man's mind, find how he would act in certain situations, maybe exploit those. They might think Shane is just being a big, dumb, and cocky person who was annoying on purpose, but that was it... Shane had a purpose. To know about them.

"I mean you've got yourself quiet the firepower!" Shane said giving him a little rough of an elbow. He'd seen David reaching for his belt once before, he knew the man had some kind of weapon. Shane wanted to see what it was, and just in case, he kept his other hand in his jacket, clasping on his gun in case David were to pull.

Skinner glared at Phill's first statement. "I am trying to keep him from killing people. Don't encourage him" he said calmly. This boy was already testing his patients. Skinner was jotting down observations about the boy's transformation and scavenging habits. Skinner was unsure if he was following a sense of smell or just looking for freshly turned soil. Daoua was showing much more conscious control over this form. Much more than Skinner was comfortable with. Skinner thought originally that Daoua handed over his body and mind to the wiendigo. Now it seemed that this was just another form he could pass through. Maybe Skinner was wrong about this kid? Maybe he was lying so Skinner could keep him alive. Unfortunately, there was nothing Daoua could do or say to make Skinner think otherwise. for all he knew, anything that came out of Daoua's mouth could be the mask talking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

David's holster placement They hang further down his thighs so his blunderbuss are always visible.

David was lost in thought as they began making their way back to Nalom. Skinner and Daoua could have at least dropped them off before taking the cart. Oh well, live and learn.

"So david, how would you like to travel. Its a long ways to the forest, and even more depending on what we find. Here in nalom there is many ways to travel. You just have to find them." eskia said from beside him. Her voice snapped him from his own thoughts and he looked down at her in surprise.

"huh" he said lamely.

"How about a glider for the air, or maybe a horse for the land if you dont like flying. For a more exotice animal on land, a cunda. Its a large feline like animal, very good at climbing." he elaborated for him to understand.

"Oh....well I'm used to the bus so....Whatever will get us there the most in one piece" he said slowly, choosing his words carefully. He was thinking about Rain and Phil. He would have prefured it if they would have stuck together and let all the new guys fend for themselves. The three of them were unstoppable, no matter what Ekia said.

"Ain't that right davey?" Shane quipped from his other side.

Daivd blinked and looked at him, 'Is what right?" he asked, unsure what he said before.

"I mean you've got yourself quiet the firepower!" the large man said, motioning to his hip.

David looked down and finally realized what he was talking about. He unclasped the strap on top of his holster and drew one of his strange pistols. He held it by the barrel, keeping his finger away from the trigger. His guns were powerful, but they did not have a safety he he didn't want to risk a discharge. He looked the ornately crafted gun in his hand and a smile crept onto his face,

"yeah, I guess. I had these made as soon as I showed up here. The blacksmith was stoked to build them for me" he said, keeping the gun in hand but looking to the shotgun tucked away in Shane's coat, "see you have yourself a Wilson combat 870, standard accessories 'cept the shell rack of course" he said, pointing to the shape outlined by his jacket, "Nice gun but doesn't spread as much for my taste. It's mainly used back home for sport shooting and breaching doors." David shrugged. A bit of his knowledge of firearms was beginning to leak out. He had never had to actually talk about it since guns didn't exist in Nalom. He felt like he had his old job back and he wasn't sure how that made him feel. David replaced his gun at his hip and clasped the strap across the butt to keep it secure

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bec trotted along side Rain and Theon. Since Ekia slipped the necklace on while she was asleep in this form, she seemed to be unable to break free of it. Bec stopped walking and shook herself hard. When that failed to loosen the chain around her neck she began pawing at it. After that wasn't working, She resorted to running ahead and barking at the two men she was walking with.

She turned in a tight circle then rolled on her belly, trying to use her fore paw to indicate that she wanted the chain off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Skinner raised an eyebrow when daoua did something he didn't expect: Speak.

"I will eat and come back." the monster rasped in a scratchy voice. Skinner didn't expect Daoua to be able to think for himself, let alone speak. Skinner was too stunned to realize that Daoua was beginning to move away from the wagon. Skinner snapped out of it and jumped off the wagon, "wait! I sure as hell don't want to miss this" he said, crossing the circle and walking towards the monster cautiously. Before he got tooo far away, he turned and pointed at Phill, "Rule still stands for you" he said, refuring to his 'stay in the wagon' command earlier.

He stopped a few yards away and leaned against a crumbling tombstone with his pad out. He motioned for the monster to continue. If Skinner wasn't so on edge, he would probably thing that the fact that he is telling a wiendigo to continue eating a body funny. like was was dealing with any other patient. Skinner knew that outside the circle, he was vulnerable. Skinner's time alive has taught him that Vulnerable is not the same as Helpless. Skinner's wooden spoon was within reach and eve though Daoua was much faster, Skinner was sure he could pop a shot off before he did to much damage.

Dauõa did not like that skinner had gotten so close, he wanted to watch? That was a first and wholly kind of awkward, why would he want to watch. He would just be tearing chucked off of the body feom the grave.

He held the small body in front of him, eyeing between skinner and it. Taking a couple of steps to skinner he huffed, a dreath of hot air moving the air on skinners face.

"Why, its disgusting. Why, truthfully did you bring me here." He hadnt really thought about it, but now that he was looking him in the eyes. He could for the life of him think on why skinner would voluntarily take him to eat people.

Turning his back on him he stalked a little closer to the fence but took a seat on the ground. Giving one last glance from skinner and phill to his food he started eating.

The first thing to come off was a leg, ripping it off was easy as he chewed on it, snapping thw bone when he got there . Soon the crunching of bones breaking filled the area along with ripping and wet smacking sounds . It took maybe 5 minutes to eat the body, swallowing most of it in whole chunks.

Finishing with the first he snooped around for another gravel that would be easy to dig up. They where far and few between. There was a slightly larger grave that was a little older than the child but still fresh enough that he could eat it. A couple of steps brought him back to skinner, the grave on thw other side of him.

Smoke....

Dauoa leaned down again to get a whiff of skinner. From the wagon he couldnt smell anything. Even phill who sat watching he couldnt smell. But now thay skinner was here and infront of him, in his transformed state he could smell all the scents on skinner. Smoke being the newest and most prominent.

A low rumble sounded in his chest. One of contentment, dauõa shook his head. He assumed it was the beast happy that skinner was there, keeping it safe by him being happy. He wasnt two concerned about it though, he still was a hungry.

A large clawed hand landed on skinners shoulder as he walked past, gently pushing him of and out of the way of the grave he wanted to move. Reaching to clear it out fhe finished in record time and was munching on that body, further away and reserved from sight. Skinner being the only one to follow that he could see. Quick glanced back and forth to skinner as dauoa picked out the prices of the body he didnt want.

Finishing the body he stood.

"Can I change back." He couldnt think of a reason why skinner would reject him, unless he wished to look over the wendigo form. He wasnt sure he liked that idea. The only people who has ever touched this form are the ones whos dieing.

-------

Eskia glanced between shane and david. The thought that this could get ugly very fast whipped through her mind. But she honesty didnt care, if a fight didnt break out they would survive. Be hurt and a little worst for wear but alive .

" Well a cunda it is. Hope you guys like visious man eatting beasts for mounts."

Eskia carried on ignoring them for the time being. They still had a long way to go.

Eskia paused in her walking a a vision over took her. She flashed through woods and mountains to a small clearing. The three where standing around and stalking up to se creatures. They were giant birds with large sharp beaks and beautiful tail plumage. Cuccos.

They werw beautiful and common birds for that area, a coulpe of rare colors mixed in. A bright red one walked by, its color having caught davids eye. A black one with hues of purple in it stricking a fancy with shane and a beige one catching eskia's. As they set out to catch them, instead of running the red on attacked david. He fell to the ground and came away from the fight with a few new large scratches, and gashes. Each had there bird though, except david. He must have settled for a yellow one.

When she glanced over at shane he was eatting a wierd fruit. She hadnt seen it before and warned him about repercussions of eatting it. However he didnt listen. The vision speed foward and david and eskia where standing around as the sound of vomiting came from shane, who mostly have been behind a bush somewhere.

Snapping back to reality she looked at the other two.

"David, dont bother with the red one. Go for the brown, and shane. Dont eat any weird fruit just because your hungry ". She started on her way again not bothering to look at the two. Why bother. Neither one seemed like they wanted to talk anyway. Well not to her and she didnt know about the things on their hips they where talking about.

----

Rain stopped as bec, who was a dog, bolted to infront of them and rolled on the ground. She was on her back, stomach to the air. He wasnt to sure what she wanted so he reached down and petted her stomach. She was on her back after all and he kinda wanted to.

The glimmer of silve caught his attention, spotting the neckles he fingered the pendent. Curious.

"Do you mind" he held it up in indication that he wanted to look at it. He had seen her take it off yesterday before her fight with shane but he wasnt sure what it did. Maybe other than holding her in one form. Rain slipped it over her head and fell back. Startled by the shifting that bec was going through.

It had been sudden and quick. He had though that she would stay in that form but apparently not. Holding the neckles even tiighter he stood and backed into theon.

"Sorry " he continued to watch as bec morphed, changing shapes until she settled on one at random.

Edited by Acornia

Theon woke up with a pain in his shoulder, the ground wasn’t an exactly pleasant thing to sleep on and Theon was used to sleeping on his side. He was one of the last people to wake up, which was actually quite unusual to him.. he was always an early bird.

He rose to his feet and made his way outside, yawning and stretching as he went, he still wanted to sleep but there was no time for that. Everyone was outside, friends saying farewell and newly found companions greeting each other. Theon himself didn’t have anyone to say farewell to, he barely knew anyone and his only companion Snow wasn’t back yet.

So much had happened the day before, that newcomer Shane was already stirring trouble and Theon didn’t like it, he would hate to have to travel with him and hoped he wouldn’t have to.

A few minutes had passed before Rain approached Theon, ” "So, without a wagon how are we going to get there. I've been up that way before and it’s a long journey on horse, longer on foot. We can go back to new mesa for horses. Or steal from someone else along the way." Theon brushed the sleep from his eyes one last time and glanced over Rain “Well New Mesa is in our way isn’t it? I can get you horses, for both of you.” He noticed Bec next to Rain in the form of a dog, he could tell by the necklace around its neck.

South. Theon gave a slight sigh when he realized he would be returning back to his homeland but he was slightly happy to return, he hadn’t been there in a long time.. and although it isn’t his home anymore he would still want to see how it aged.

He made his way over to his horse, checking its saddlebags for supplies, it was a long journey and he would want to restock in New Mesa.

"So theon, bec, I guess first thing we need to do is get a couple of horses . Too bad we still dont have the wagon. We could get a small buggy or carage. Something with bed in the back. Also I saved my bag, with has all of my traveling supplies. Unfortunately for bec I'm sure, I only have one set. And I'm sure theon has his own.” Theon had started walking, leading his horse with a leash, he stopped for a second when Rain mentioned bec.. He remembered what happened yesterday with Bec and Shan, and how he didn’t interfere to stop Shane. “I’m sorry for not helping you yesterday Bec, I really am.” He looked at Bec, a little bit ashamed. “You can have my set, it’s the least I could do.” He finished his words and quickly turned to Rain. “No, no wagons.. we should travel light.. a wagon would just be impractical and the horses will be just fine.” Theon didn’t want to raise any suspicions; a carriage could be easily stopped by anything, bandits, locals or even animals.. add to that the fact that he has a price on his head, so it would be better if they travelled light and fast.

=============================================

Snow kept travelling even through the night, he had been away too long and he had to make up time.. but that didn’t stop him from hunting and killing animals he stumbled upon, who were a few and far between. It was day time when Snow had finally made it to Theon’s location, there were a handful of people, separated into groups and setting off, but it didn’t take Snow a minute to locate Theon, he ran across to Theon, howling as he went. Snow lunged at Theon who met Snow with an embrace and a few pats, it felt to be back.

==============================================

Theon felt more powerful with Snow back at his side, it was a moment of joy.. and those were scarce.

Bec was laying on her back, pointing with her paws at her necklace, which Rain in turn took off Bec’s neck, which triggered Bec’s transformation and Rain stumbling back into Theon. "Sorry " Theon didn’t say anything but gave a slight nod, he too was watching Bec, and quite frankly he was fascinated by such power.

Phill shrugged at skinner "i am just sayingthat if we need to kill anyone that allowing him to eat so he could survive wouldn't be that bad of an idea. Only if we need to kill them though so don't get too upset it has happened before." Phill nodded at skinner and sat at the edge but still in the circle curious what would happen to skinner. He was unsure how to react to skinner, he was usually argumentive but skinner didn't seem to react and it threw him off.

Phill was listening to to how dauoa talked about how disgusting it was. He had his eyes closed to relax as he heard the cracking of bone and tearing flesh from dauoa. He opened his eyes and saw daoua approach skinner while he sat quietly. He began humming to himself as his tails wrapped around himself. He ran his fingers through his furr while trying to groom them slightly.

Bec flipped through a dozen of forms before landing on a form her friends liked. Bec was laying on her back looking up at Rain. She smiled at the boy, "Thanks sweetheart, I was starting to cramp" she said, rising to her feet and dusting off her dress.

"Sorry" Rain said. That made Bec laugh.

"Don't be sorry, baby. changing shape is what I do" she said, streching her arms out and walking down the path ahead of the two men, "Come on, boy's. New Mesa awaits."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Why, its disgusting. Why, truthfully did you bring me here." the monster asked in a raspy voice.

Skinner shrugged, "I realized that not only was quitting cold turkey not working but it was also cruel. So we are going to ween you off it, so to speak"

Skinner motioned back to the body on the ground in front of him and Daoua began to write some notes. He consumed food like a crocidile but he did not observe any distortion in the monster's throat or stomach as he loaded up.

Skinner tensed but made no move to defend himself as Daoua stalked closer. He assumed he was just curious. Still made him nervous though. The smell of death and decay wafted over him at this distance. Skinner stepped aside as Daoua moved him aside and went to dig up a new body.

"Can I change back." He asked once he was done.

Skinner nodded and snapped the locket shut.

Rain glanced back to Theon, not sure if he would like traveling with bec. He didnt know a lot about them but the shape changing would not help at all with any bonding that happened. It would put a mental strain on him, special if bec ever got the idea to ask about the form that was taken.

"Well, ok I guess. " Giving a shrug he trotted after bec. The road with as clear, clearer than possibly when they came out. But tension was highat the time so he wasnt to entirely sure.

Glancing at the sky it was around mid afternoon. They had been traveling longer than he though, they would be coming to new mesa gates at any moment. It would probably be a good idea tostay the night and rest up, continue on in the morning.

"Hey guys, do you want to stay in new mesa tonight. Its getting a little late, we can stay and leave first thing in the morning." He stopped a little ways from bec and waitednfor a answer. He would like both to agree as he didnt really want to have conflict this early into the journey. But if one wanted to go one and the othet stay here, it could get tricky fast.

-----

Dauoa changed back, his skin shedding and falling away leaving his smaller form present. Dauoa smiled feeling better than he had in a little while. He hadnt expected skinner to comply so easily, but he could see were he was coming from by keeping him in that form. He could smell the fear on skinner when he had approached him. It wasnt strong, but it was there.

"Ok im ready to go." He walked back over to the cart eyeing phill in the back. He looked as though he was resting, how could he be that lax around him. He was a monster. A cold icy feeling stopped him short, glancing down he eyed the fine dust around the wagon. He couldnt cross it, or get to near it for that matter.

"Hey skinner, your going to have to move this stuff. I.... can't get near it." He hated that he was giving yet another weakness to skinner but he had told him almost everything else.

After skinner moved the cart out of the way dauoa climbed into the back. Sitting across from phill he eyed him again. Something about him felt odd to him and he wasnt sure what. Maybe it was that he was a male he wasnt accustomed with, or maybe it was because he was trying to help dauõa even if it underminded skinner.

"Um, phill. I dont think it would help if I went back to my old eatting habits." Dauoa sat there quietly, glancing back to skinner . Technically at this point he only has one master, and thats skinner. But he suspected that skinner didnt know he had absolute control. From all that hes done, it was probably that he only thinks he can make him change at will.

Edited by Acornia

"That was nasty, I won't touch another fruit in this crazy place." Shane said, vomiting again. The thing he ate smelt sweet, like a fresh baked pie, but tasted like the smell of bleach. Why he had even swallowed it after the bad taste, Shane didn't know. Guess hunger will do that to a man... the bird he had been mounted on was looking a little tasty... maybe he could kill it and roast it, maybe take a bite out of that sweet, juicy flesh...

"Get back on track Shane. These people, this bird, they're not your friends. You're here to use them... you're not going to get rich if they're wanting a share of the riches" The sadistic thoughts returned, reminding Shane he was no goodie two shoes. He couldn't get soft, not now, not ever. Being nice was a sign of weakness, and letting his guard down could be his undoing. Standing up and brushing off, Shane looked bored, before loudly asking "Well wonder lady, what's next?"

(((hey, Mono. The vomiting and bird thing didn't actually happen)))

~~~~~~~~~~~~~skinner

Skinner cracked the reigns and got the horses moving once everyone was set in the back. He lit a cigarette and puffed on it silently as Daoua and Phil spoke. Skinner was lost in his own thoughts, staring at the road ahead but thinking about the events behind him.

"Here's the place. Rent is two hundred, due by the fifth of each month. No pets, not complaining about the noise, no loud parties. Any questions?" a dark skinned man with dreadlocks down his back said to the young man looking to move into his upstairs apartment. The owner of the smoke bar had been trying to rent out that room for months to no avail. No one wanted to live above a loud, smokey bar with no security near the harbor. Here this man was, willing to put down a six month payment on the drab space upstairs.

"You hear me boy? I asked if you have any questions?" the man asked again, more annoyed thing time

"Yeah, Can you get out of my room" the young man replied.

The man blew out a frustrated puff of air and threw up his hands, "Fine. Fine. What do I put on the paper work?"

"Skinner. Just Skinner" the man replied, dropping his only bag in the middle of the floor as the door shut behind him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Bec

Bec stopped on the road when Rain spoke behind her.

"Hey guys, do you want to stay in new mesa tonight. Its getting a little late, we can stay and leave first thing in the morning." is what Rain proposed. Bec thought for a moment. She was itching to get on the road but rest would be good for the two that needed it.

"Sure, sounds good to me" Bec said with a shrug. She opened her mouth to speak but something floating by Rain's head distracted her.

A small insect floated lazily past Rain, it's thorax blinking a electric blue glow ever few seconds. Another! another flicker of blue revealed that there were more bugs flying around them on the road. Bec smiled and watched them glide into the bairn field off the side of the road.

"Woah guys! Look." she said, pointing into the field, "Tourchbugs!" There were hundreds of them floating above the dead earth in a slow, fragmented ballet, Bec laughed and stepped off the road to get a closer look. She felt like a child chasing the blinking insects. They swirled around her and she finally managed to snag one out of the air. She peeked into her closed hands to get a better look. Something about these insects were off. For starters, tourchbugs were gold, not blue. Second, these were at least twice the size of a tourchbug and resembling a wasp. The insect looked back at her with blue compound eyes. It seemed to know she was there. A shiver ran down her spine as something felt off. She looked back at Rain and Theon and screamed for her friends to turn around.

Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

A blood curdling scream drowned out Bec's warning that came too late. A large, cloaked figure tackled Theon to the ground and began clawing at the man's back. The tourchbugs swirled around the monster as it attacked. From this distance, Bec could not make out any features underneath the hood or through the thickening cloud of insects. Bec stumbled forward. She didn't know what she was going to do but she needed to do something. That thing was going to rip Theon apart

Dauõa sat in the back of the wagon ideally chatting with Phill. It seemed more of a one sided conversation but skinner had vacated to the recesses of his mind. Phill wasn't being much for conversation so Dauõa turned to the next best thing.

Skinner

After eating he was feeling a lot better and his skin color had come back, he even had nubs again on his head. Although it was really odd, usually it takes a week or two for them to show up. This time its had been overnight, it could be that his body was breaking from the spirit. Or it could be something else, he wasn't quite sure.

“Hey skinner, what are you thinking about? And how much longer is it going to be before we get there?” Throwing his arms over Skinner's shoulders he leaned against his back. Propping his chin on the top of Skinner's head he glanced around.

In the day that they had been traveling the scenery had changed a little. The marsh like swampy area had turned into small patches of water with mostly dry flat land. Still the animals were scarce, but he wasn't so worried about food anymore. A couple of times he had spotted a decaying body from a traveler that was now in the great beyond.

The other two would have to worry though.

Soon the sky was darkening, the sign that night was coming. But set again the changing scenery was the old weathered stones of buildings.

Ruins

But from what, but the closer they got the more his curiosity was itching to be set free. Already though his curiosity had almost killed him and skinner about twice. The last time being the worst.

“Skinner let's go explore.” Pointing to the buildings he climbed to the front, sitting beside skinner excitement bubbled up. This would be fun and it was a good place to stop for the night.

------

Rain was walking in silence, content? Was that the right word. He didn't feel a need to talk, it was a comfortable silence. And he didn't have to necessarily be a leader which was a plus.

A flash of blue.

"Woah guys! Look." Bec , pointed into the field, "Tourchbugs!"

Yes they very much looked like firefly's. Or lightning bugs, he had heard both. But they were a odd color, he had always seen them range from yellow to a off green.

Never blue

And there was so many of them, they seemed to condense and then thin slightly before thickening once more. Something wasn't right, they should have been just -here and there, sporadically placed around. But it was almost like they were a distraction.

Glancing once more at Bec who was peering into her hand. When she looked up dread set into the pit of his stomach. She turned to say something, anything she said fell from silent lips as any warning came too late.

Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

As if in slow motion he turned his head to theon, who was being tackled to the ground. A hooded figure crouched over him, taking deadly painful swipe at his back.

THEON

Rain reacted as if in under water, his movements slow, but the moment passed as the world stepped back into focus. Reaching out he grabbed the cloak and pulled.

“What the hell, get off.” Rain tugged it away before pulling his daggers out.

WHO are you, answer me and pray a spare you.” Anger boiled just below his skin, to say he was mad was a mistake.

He was LIVID

His tails thrashed and his hair stood on end, ears foward and alert. His teeth bared and the spark of fire set in his eye's as the temperature around him rose.

NO one attacked his people. NO one.

With now justified reason he felt the need to kill this person, but he had someone to worry about. Two people including bec, she couldnt fight. Hell she could barely defend herself sometimes.

Phill shrugged "it may not help to lay back on them no but im not saying to fall back into your old ways but just if you absolutly need food to live finding some may be a priority so you dont end up with us as the only food." Phill was getting hungry as he watched dauoa talk to skinner. Pulling out another bar of food he began nibbling on it.

Phill stretched out as he looked at the ruins. Feeling slightly unsure he tilted his head at dauoa "wouldn't it be safer to explore during the day, we could stay in here for the night if we need to. If you two really want to explore i guess we could i just feel we should be careful, eapecially at night."

The Adze felt something yank on it's cloak, interrupting his potental meal. the monster whirled around and screeched. It's cloak exploaded outwards, revealing that it was not a cloak at all. The Azde seemed to triple in size and bathed rain in it's eerie blue light that radiated from the underside of it's wings. The patterns of it's wings seemed to shift and resembled a massive face with burning orange eyes. The Adze shrieked again and vibrated its wings, filling the air with a palpable buzz. To answer the kitsune's question, the Adze lunged forward, its insectoid maw snapping like some kind of terrible machine. It's mouth streched open and a a brarbed proboscis erupted from it's mouth, aimed to punch the boy's heart out of his chest .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Skinner

In the weeks that passed since Skinner's first day in his new apartment the mage had been busy making it more like home. The contents of his only bag were strewn in a circle around the man sitting on the floor. There were vials of liquids and powders, rolls of leather and parchment, candles, knives, short rods of various materials. Skinner was almost ready to finish moving in. The man rose off the floor with a ornate knife in his hand. He was sure he wasn't going to get his security deposit after this but he was willing to risk it. He didn't care anyway. Skinner jammed the tip of the knife into the wood and began to carve.

It took Skinner the better part of a day to finish the custom and complex rune sequnce covering the door, the frame and the wall surrounding it. He stepped back to admire his work and to check for any mistakes. He was told back to earth that his style was similar to computer programming, Skinner wouldn't know of course, he has never sat at a computer that didn't exploade when he touched it. Exotic matter really didn't like microchips.

After correcting a few lines of runes, Skinner exited his room and stood in the hallway. He shut the door behind him and locked it using a copy of his room key made of oak. As soon as the timblers clicked into place, a faint hum could be heard insided his house. The door began to vibrate with increasig intensity. Skinner put his hands on his hips and watched for a few seonds. Happy that his formula was working, Satisified, Skinner turned on his heel and left to go find a bar. It would take a few hours for it to finish so he needed to kill some time

Skinner was brought out of his flashback when Daoua drapped himself over his shoulders,

“Hey skinner, what are you thinking about? And how much longer is it going to be before we get there?” Daoua asked from over his head.

skiner shrugged, an action that caused Daoua to raise up and down with him.

"Just when I first arrived in Nalom and moved into my place. Not sure why though. Nothing important or relivent happened." he explained, "I don't think so. Honestly I have never traveled this far outside New Mesa".

"it may not help to lay back on them no but im not saying to fall back into your old ways but just if you absolutly need food to live finding some may be a priority so you dont end up with us as the only food." Phil chimmed in from behid him, apparently still on the subject that passed. Skinner shook his head, Daoua mirroring his gesture as he did so.

"You seem to be confused. This is not up for discussion" was all he said before dropping the matter. Skinner wet to school for this kind of thing and had been dealing with the Fae since he was sixteen. His childhood friend was a blood sage for crying out loud.

Not long passed before a decrepted structure came into view. They were ancient ruins with a purpose that was unknown from looking on the outside.

“Skinner let's go explore.” Daoua said, hopping into shotgun beside him. Skinner spit the ramins of his cigarette onto the groud beside the wagon. Daoua was really good at the graveyard and didn't cause any problems. It was getting dark soon ad they would need shelter from the things that roam the area at night. Skinner hopped off the wagon ad grabbed his bag frm the back, "Sure, lets go check it out" he said after a while.

"wouldn't it be safer to explore during the day, we could stay in here for the night if we need to. If you two really want to explore i guess we could i just feel we should be careful, eapecially at night." the boy made sure is opinion was known.

Skinner looked at Daoua for a moment and sighed when he looked back to Phil "Are you going to be a downer the whole trip?" he asked motioning for Daoua to follow him inside.

Stepping back he was totally unprepared for the growth of the person, monster, bug- thing. He wasn't sure if it was a play in magic or if he himself could actually grow in size. His wings opened a fraction, but it was enough to see the underside.

Vibrant blue

Ghostly orange

His wings vibrated, filling the air with a low buzz. It set the fine hairs on his arms on end, and rains head to cock.

What is he?

No sooner had the question passed through his mind than the thing lunged, a ugly stick like appendage coming out of a wicked set of jaws. Surprised he stumbled back, tripping over the ground itself. A Barb ment for his heart instead went through soft tissue and bone. Going in through the front of his shoulder and out the back.

“AaAaaAhhhahhhaahh”

Never in his life had he felt such pain. The farther it went in the worse it got. Every jerk back only causing him to bleed more. Small spikes held him in place.

Grabbing the offending barb, he fueled fire around his hand. The blaze meeting flesh of a kind, the smell revolting.

He couldn't think, yet alone move. It was to close, his heart just inches away from a deadly spine.

“Let…..” a puff of air and a gasp of pain filling the silence in his head.

“Go…” pushing the fire more letting it eat at the bug like creature holding him.

Blood trickled from the corner of his mouth as a lung filled with the thick red fluid. He was losing blood fast, from the wound now in him to the free flowing stream down his chin.

Glancing at Bec he meet and held her eyes, now was not the time for her to freeze. Her life depended on it. There was no sure way of knowing that he wouldn't go after her once rain collapsed.

“RUN STUPID”

-------______-------

Dauõa glanced from Skinner to Phill as he hopped out of the wagon. He could tell already that they wouldn't get along, as Phill wanted him to do things that Skinner didn't. And it's not that Dauõa didn't, not, like Phill, he just didn't know him that well.

But he had more pressing matters, and one was guilt. Now that Skinner had brought it up, he realized that Skinner had left EVERYTHING he know to come and help dauõa. There wasn't anything that Dauõa could do to repay him for his kindness. But a work of apology was always a good start.

“Hey Skinner”

“Thank you for helping me, and I'm sorry for the trouble that I have caused. And I'm also sorry that you had to leave your home to help me.” No more words to offer up as apologies came to mind.

With nothing more to say he turned and took off into the ruins to explore. Some of the walls still supported bits and pieces of ceiling. From what was left he could see that it at one time had been painted. And a scroll like decoration of pictures lined the top of the walls.

Wandering around a little bit he spotted a small fountain on the side of a wall that for some reason still worked along with a few peices of pottery. Passing a opening he spotted Skinners back, he must have found something interesting.

But he wasn't ready to talk to him again so he continued down the hall. It was a dead end and that the center in front of the wall was a stone pillar, vines creeping up the side. Hidden under them was a large ball like object, it was pretty with a metallic black surface.

Curiously he reached out and touched the slick surface. A cool electrical current slide like oil under his skin, building a heavy pressure in his chest. Like floodgates that had been open, the energy released sending Dauõa flying back.

“Woooaaaaahhhhhh”

It wasn't painful like he thought it would have been, until he landed. Having been thrown past the door that Skinner was inside he was hoping that he hadn't been spotted in his flight past the entrance.

Laying on the cool ground he let the residual energy leave him. It's last oily remnants sliding from his skin leaving him feeling nice.

“Skinner, Skinner come touch this thing” He hopped up off the ground and took off through the door that Skinner had been in.

“Skinner this orb thing, touch it, it feels amazing”. A smile plastered onto his face as he latched his arm onto Skinners wanting to tug him in that direction, his guilt from earlier forgotten.

The monster began to pump blood from Rain's body at an alarming rate. The probe protruding from Rain's shoulder shuddered as it tried to pull more. It had miscalculated the amount of force it would take to break the skin and punched clean through the boy's shoulder. Now, the firefly vampire was just pumping air into it's stomach.

The kitsune gripped the probosces with both hands and the soft flesh of his probe began to blister and smoke. The Adze let loose another ear splitting streak and released the boy from it's grip. the adze took a step back and retracted it's proboscis back into it's mouth with a slurp. A stream of fire illuminated the monster's form, the light dancing off his armor with an oily reflection. The blast hit the Adze which let out a scream of agony. It's wings incinerated in an instant and it's exoskeleton began to creak on pop from the heat building inside it's body. The creature exploded back into a could of blue lightningbugs and scattered to escape the stream of fire before it could kill it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Bec

Bec snapped out of her daze when the monster pierced Rain's shoulder with a harpoon fired from it's mouth. Bec started forward, willing her legs to shake of the weight of fear. She broke herself out of her trance and into a sprint, "Rain!" she cried as he flooded the area with a stream of fire that engulfed the monster. Bec resisted the urge to cheer. Rain had killed it but he was still badly hurt. She could see the panic in his eyes as he ran towards her.

“RUN STUPID” he yelled as he reached her. Bec took one look back at the swarm of fireflies making their way towards them and turned tail to run after Rain.

There was no way they could make it to the city, it was much too far away for them to reach in time. Bec followed Rain's lead towards the meager tree cover across the field. Bec felt a tickle on the back of her neck and she instinctively smacked it with a free hand. Something crispy and oozy was crushed against her neck. Another slight itch on the back of her arm and leg meant the fireflies were catching up. Bec and Rain were almost to the treeline when the wave of insects washed over them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Skinner

Skinner entered the cool interior of the runes cautiously, casting a floating fairy light above his head to light the way. The chamber they were standing in was flooded with a blue green light that chased the shadows to the furthest corners of the room.

“Hey Skinner” Daoua said from behind him, making him turn, "“Thank you for helping me, and I'm sorry for the trouble that I have caused. And I'm also sorry that you had to leave your home to help me.”

Skinner waved it off and smiled, "Don't thank me yet. The city doesn't know we left and technically we aren't suppose to do that" he said sheepishly, "Aaaaand.....I didn't tell anyone where we were going. BUT I have dealt with the city officials before and they are pretty easy to persuade, especially since I'm the one enacting the secret protection plan from the Plague."

Skinner wandered over to the closest wall. It seemed to have something written on it at one point but now it was badly faded. Skinner directed his fairy light to get a better look at the the inscription on the wall. Skinner drew his wooden spoon and started to work making the text legible again.

he glanced back as Daoua wandered farther into the ruins, "Careful Daoua. Don't go to far" he called, his voice echoing into the depths of the ruins, "I can't keep saving you" he muttered to himself.

“Skinner, Skinner come touch this thing” Daoua called from the other room. Skinner wasn't having any luck restoring what was on the wall so he went to check it out, "If i had a silver piece every time someone told me that" he said with a chuckle. Skinner followed the direction Daoua was pointing and pulled back a curtain of vines that hid a oily black orb. Skinner took a deep breath and reached out to touch it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Bec

Bec stumbled on the uneven ground as the fireflies over took them both. They were forcing their way into her throat and nose, trying to choke off her airways to bring her down. She couldn't see through the cloud of blue light and black bodies but could hear Rain struggling as well. Bec crunched down on the insects crawling over her tongue, filling her mouth with a bitter acidic taste that made her stomach churn. Bec ripped a strip off the bottom half of her dress and covered her mouth and nose. She pushed her way blindly through the swarm of insects towards the sounds of Rain. Her hand clutched something that felt like fabric and she pulled it closer. It was Rain! He was battling with the insects trying to crawl down his throat as well. Bec ripped another strip from her dress and clamped it over Rain's mouth, "Bite them. It's the only way to get rid of them. Don't breath without this" she said over the buzz around them, pulling his hand to the cloth on his face so she didn't have to keep holding it.

Bec slung Rain's uninjured shoulder over hers and started to move towards the treeline. The insects were beginning to thin out, flowing around them and heading behind them like water down a drain. They were so close. The treeline was just a few dozen yards away but Rain was beginning to fade from his injuries. Another screech from behind him made Bec look over her shoulder. The monster was back, fully formed and seemingly undamaged. A whimper of fear escaped Bec's lips as she picked up the pace, nearly dragging the injured kitsune in her wake. She willed herself to change forms. A horse, a warrior, a strongman. Anything. Her powers did not respond, she remained in her frail human form as they broke through the trees and into the dark forest.

Glancing back, Bec could see the Adze's massive wings begin to vibrate again. This time so fast they became a blur. The monster rose off the ground and shot towards them. Bec twisted to the left and lost her footing. Bec and Rain tumbled into a hole at the base of a tree and hit the soft earth with a dull thud. Bec looked around wildly, trying to peer through the gloom. Seems that they fell into a old badge nest or something. Treeroots hung around them like snakes and the only source of light was the hole they fell in from. Bec fell silent, the only sounds that she could hear was Rain's raspy breaths and her own heart pounding in her ears. the next sound caused Bec's blood to run cold. The heavy buzz of massive insect wings grew louder until it ended with a thump outside their hiding place. It's going to find them! Bec was frozen with fear. She never expected this was the way she would die. Trapped in a hole in the middle of nowhere. No one would ever find them if they died here. Bec's face stiffened and she looked up towards the hole. She wasn't going to die like this. At the hands of some giant bug.

Bec felt around for Rain, her hand landing on his mess of hair. She brought her face close, "Stay here and be quiet" she said before climbing towards the hole and vanishing from view.

On the surface, Bec found a heavy tree limb to arm herself with. It wasn't much but it gave her confidence. She could see the Adze no far off, it's back was to her and seemed to be searching for them. Bec crouched low and crept forward as silently as she could. She carefully placed each footfall. When she was almost wihen striking distance. The monster turned. censorkip.gif! The torchbugs. I forgot she said, taking notice of the blue lights drifting around them. The adze rose up to full height and looked down on the girl with reflective compound eyes. It seemed confused by the shapeshifter standing in front of it. Bec roared and swung the limb with all her might, catching the monster in the side of the head. It screeched in surprise and recoiled, it's three fingered hand raising to it's face to grab it's compound eye. The orb had burst like a water balloon from Bec's attack. Strips of ruined eye and a viscous clear fluid dripped for the ruined eye. Bec dropped the broken remains of the ground and backed away when the Adze turned it's attention back to her. Already, Bec could see nearby torchbugs scrambling around the wound, climbing into the burst eye which now radiated blue light. It reminded Bec of ants protecting the nest, unified and deliberate. The adze took another step forward, having trouble focusing with only one compound eye. Bec stumbled backwards when her foot got tangled under a exposed tree root. He crab walked backwards, trying to escape the approaching horror.

Edited by padfoot

Rain inhaled the sound raspy and wet. Dull eyes turned toward the mouth of the tree where Bec had disappeared just moments before. He could hear the sounds of a struggle going on, then a dull thud from a someone falling.

Grabbing onto anything protruding out that could be used as leverage, he hoisted himself up and out. Bec was almost right in front of his face, he had tripped and was laying on the ground. The horror of the bug man coming closer.

Rain struggled the last couple of steps to her and fell, draping his body over hers. He shielded her the best he could from the oncoming monster. A well of fire dancing up and surrounding them.

As the heat and fire danced it flickered with the little life left in him. Opening his eyes he meet Bec's and a smile crossed his face. Blood dripping onto her cheek.

“I'm sorry, this may be a little painful. But I don't need them where I'm going to be going.” He could feel it, the well in him where his magic sprouted and grew from. The pit at the bottom where the source lay. Mentally he took it and ripped it up through the recesses of his being, pulling it to his fingers and hand that now lay over Bec's chest.

He pushed, feeling himself with his magic seep into Bec. The blackness in her creeping up to greedily accept the magic he was offering. But there was no place for it, so one would have to be made. It burned inside her, blazing a trail down into the core of her being creating a home for itself.

Pulling himself away mentally his eyes brightened briefly, staring into hers again. Small tears where rolling down her face, the pain evident. When he totally relinquish his hold on the magic it exploded around them burning the surrounding area. The fire burning a bright white as it consumed everything in its path.

Rains eyes closed and he fell sideways letting go of Bec completely. He felt empty and hollow, a void taking up residence in his chest. But his consciousness left him.

------

Sydith walk had brought her to the edge of a road. One she had been following for a while now. As she came to a bend in the road the crackling of a fire came to her attention. Everything in this area was dead, a fire could be catistrophic if left in attended.

Setting in that direction it did not take long for her to come along the sight of what appeared to be a human and a kitsune. A large bug like creature shrinking away from the flames trying to devower it. Walking closer she sent a small wave of water waffing over the ground, steam raising as the fire was extinguished. Turning her attention back to the bug she surrounded him in a hollow bubble of water.

She wasn't to sure what was going on but it didn't take a genius to figure it out. The only thing that through her was the human. By all standards she looked human, but she excluded a pungent fire magic smell.

Her form rippled as she looked back at bug man, he appeared to want out. A wave of her hand and the sphere surrounding him fell away, soaking him in the process.

“ pray tell what you are doing, better yet what you have done.” her head tilted back to the human on the ground.

” I may not like humans, and although this one resembles one, she it not. And I will not condone the murder of a arcane. If you must feed, go find a disgusting human to eat” she waved him off before walking to him as if to catch him and pull him away.

If she caught him she would drowned him. But she would give him a fighting chance.

------_____------

Dauõa watched from behind ski. We as he walked up to the orb. Was he really going to touch it just because he asked to. That did the seem like a smart thing to do. But his comment from earlier stuck with him for some reason.

What was it they asked him to touch that he wanted payment for?

Well couldn't be too​ important if skinner didn't elaborate. It was something that he would leave to another time to ask if he remembered.

Peeking around his shoulder he watched with wide eyes as Skinner pulled the vines away. He was so close, then his hand touched it. At first nothing happened and dauõa felt his playful spirit drop. It was no fun if nothing happened and Skinner just stood there. Turning he walked away a little before stopping to kick at the ground. The sound of wind whipping made him turn just in time to seen Skinner before he collided with him, knocking dauõa onto to ground.

“Ow, Skinner get off. That hurt.” Dauõa shoved Skinner off of him as he rolled to the side holding his stomach, already he could feel a bruise forming. It would have been funny if Skinner had landed on the ground like he did, but on him. No it was not funny.

Still though, with the pause before it made him wonder if he had paused like that also and if Skinner felt the same oil feeling as he had.

“So what did you feel” sitting up he looked at Skinner before looking in the direction of the wagon.

“Well let's go back and set up camp first. Then you can tell me, also…… can I change, and wander around. “ He could feel the beast just under his skin again wanting out. He wanted to change and run, to stretch and move. Unlike earlier where he was more concerned with eating, now he just wanted to run.

“I could… take you with me. Please.”

----____---

Eskia had traveled with David for a little while, northern saying anything. There wasn't a need to. She knew where she was going and he was content it seemed to follow her, and it worked fine for her.

But as they traveled the dead landscape around them changed, it started with speckles of green perking up through the black. Small bright flashes of color here and there showing the area coming back to life. And with it the trail seemed to lead up a series of hills. Each bigger than the last.

“So David. What do you plan to do after this?” She needed a distraction at this point in time as a small tendril of smoke wafted up from the hill in front of them. The smell of burning flesh filled the air and the thundering of hooves and screams could be heard, but she ignored them.

If they went the would only die with them. A rain was a awful thing and they were safe out of sight. Out of sight out of mind.

Edited by Acornia

"Where's the treasure, huh? This is all this is right, one big treasure hunt, right?" Shane was getting frustrated. He'd been walking for what felt like hours, he was far, FAR from home, and he didn't even recognize where they had been in. First some crazy forest and next, this ash field. He was beginning to lose his casual cool, as annoyance got to him, as he forcefully grabbed Eskia by her shirt collar, a physical attempt to get an answer.

"We've been marching on this quest for a few hours. Where is the reward? You know, the glittery stuff worth tons of money?" Shane asked, almost in a mocking way of words. He'd been interrupted of his one hobby, fighting, once today, and that had put his mood off for the rest of it. Rest would be best, but for now, Shane was angry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Bec

The tourchbug monster drew closer, Bec was only partially aware of Rain emerging from the hole and coming up behind her. She was surprised when Rain collapsed over her and brought up a shield of fire. The Adze screamed and recoiled from the wall of fire licking up towards the dead tree branches.

“I'm sorry, this may be a little painful. But I don't need them where I'm going to be going.” Rain wheezed in her face. Tears formed in her eyes and she shook her head, "Don't talk like that, We are going to get out of this." she said to really believing this. the wound o Rain's shoulder had already soaked the front of his shirt with blood and his lips were ashen. He was losing a lot of blood. Little did Bec know, Rain was also drowning in it.

Rain pressed his hand against her chest and she placed hers over his. She was unsure what he was doing but it left her with a tingling feeling in the depths of her chest. Rain's eyes were misted with tears and seemed to be struggling with something. Without thinking, Bec sat up and pressed her lips onto his. He was distressed and probably dying. Bec was scared and unsure what to do to make him feel better so she went with what worked in the past

. The tingle grew into a searing pain that sank deep into her gut. He had pushed something into her. For a moment, Bec's form visibly wavered. Briefly, her skin lost all hints of normalcy and changed to a pitch black, oily being in the shape of a human girl. As soon as her form reverted, the pain grew. It was as if she swallowed a red hot stone, she could feel it settling in the pit of her stomach. Rain gave her one last smile before falling to his side. Bec cried out his name and scrambled to her knees. She pressed her ear against his head and was greeted by a wet bubbling sound.

The Izem pounded against the orb of liquid and vibrated his wings angerly. The water elemental dropped her cage and glared at him,

“ pray tell what you are doing, better yet what you have done.” she asked with narrowed eyes. This thing wanted Izem to talk? The orb of water dropped around him, soaking him on the way down. Izem buzzed his wings to dry them.

” I may not like humans, and although this one resembles one, she it not. And I will not condone the murder of a arcane. If you must feed, go find a disgusting human to eat” she said. Slowly, fireflies began to fly off of his body, taking bits of him with them. In seconds, they were looking at a ruffled man with a mop of red hair n his head surrounded by a swarm of lightning bugs.

"I have no qualm with you" he hissed in a raspy voice, "We are hungry. Human or not" it wasn't much of an explanation but Izem wasn't much of a talker. The water elemental took a threatening step forward ad Izem hissed ike a feral animal. This being was one of water. Something that could gum up his wings and drown his swarm. Izem's eyes widened and his jaw stretched farther than the normal limits of his form, his jaw snapped and popped from the strain. He released a harsh screech and exploded into a swarm of fireflies. the swarm circled the water elemental for a moment before scattering through the now quiet forest.

Bec tried to stand but found her legs unresponsive. She dropped to her knees behind the beautiful woman, "Please help us. My friend is dying" she said he voice horse with tears.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Skinner

As soon as Skinner's hand came in contact with the smooth surface of the orb, a strange form of power passed into his body. It was like his arm was falling asleep but it wasn't uncomfortable. It was quite nice actually. Suddenly, a bloom of color erupted in his mind and he was thrown backwards, colliding with Daoua with enough force to take him with him. The two smacked the stone floor.

“Ow, Skinner get off. That hurt.” Daoua said from under him, wheezing to get the breath back into his lungs. Skinner rolled to one side and got to his feet, "Well....I don't feel bad. Is that what happened to you?" he asked, taking the boy's hand and hauling him to his feet. Skinner's hockey stick was still slung across his back and Skinner would be surprised it it bruised his ribs. Skinner walked back to where to orb was hidden and took a closer look. He really wanted to study this thing. Maybe even take it. There had to be a reason it was still here after all this time though.

“Well let's go back and set up camp first. Then you can tell me, also…… can I change, and wander around. “ Daoua asked. Skinner put a cigarette in his mouth and the tip erupted into a puff of flame on it's own. Skinner seemed to think for a moment. they were contained in the ruins and if Daoua tried to go to far, Skinner still had the locket. Finally, Skinner shrugged, "Sure. I don't see the harm in that." he said, fingering the locket's clasp with two fingers, "Just do not leave the area. Got it?" He was firm on the last part. He was beginning to trust Daoua, this would be a good chance to see if it was deserved.

"No thanks. I'll go set up for the night. Maybe get some food going. Don't be too long. I'm going to need help getting that thing out of the wall" he said, motioning to the orb. Skinner snapped open the locket and left it open against his chest. He watched as Daoua changed completely before walking back towards the front entrance to set up camp.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ David

David beamed when the landscape began to shift from decrepit, depressing black grass and trees to rolling hills of green and wildflowers. the plague must not be reaching this far out. The group had been walking in silence for the better part of the trip. David kept having moments where he felt like he should be saying something to fill the silence but something was telling him otherwise. The quiet walk through the country was a nice change of pace from fighting for his life and women who were not who they said they were. That sense of peace dissipated when the smell of smoke hit his nose.

Over the taller hill in the distance, three pillars of black smoke rose into the air. David unsnapped the guards that held his pistols in place. Something wasn't right and David had seen something like this before. Only last time it was their fault. There was no way Eskia didn't notice the scene ahead but chose not to comment on it. She must have her reasons.

"Where's the treasure, huh? This is all this is right, one big treasure hunt, right?" Shane said, the first thing he said in a while actually. David glanced at him in disbelief. Was he serious? Had none of them filled him in?

"Uh...that's not why were are out here. We are trying to stop some grey plague from killing the planet" He explained calmly. They had stopped walking but even at this distance David could hear that whatever was attacking on the other side of the hill was not finished yet.

Then, Shane flew off the handle. He grabbed Eskia roughly by the front of the shirt and hauled her close to his face.

"We've been marching on this quest for a few hours. Where is the reward? You know, the glittery stuff worth tons of money?" he demanded, his voice filling the silence of the area. There was a click and the contact of cold steel against Shane's cheek. David had on of his pistols cocked and held against the side of Shane's face. Whatever was out there might not have heard Shane's shouting, but they would defiantly hear it if he blew this man's head off like he so desperately wanted.

"Shane, could you put our fourtune teller friends down" he said with strained sweetness. A switchblade flipped from under his gun's barrel and coming to rest where his neck meets his head.

"Please" he added.

Edited by padfoot

Phill had been left alone, he wasn't trying to be a downer but more likely being cautious then again his experiences were different as were his mindset. He had heard the noises from inside and admittedly was curious about what it could be in there. He had been setting up instead though knowing that even though he may not get a long with them that it would be helpful to work together. He had grabbed some sticks from nearby and set up a small fire pit sort of thing. He didn't light it yet unsure if they would need it. He had tied up the horses in a position where the back of the wagon was aimed towards the teepee of sticks he had set up. He had set up theree area's to sleep and had set his backpack on one on the ground, being sure that skinner or dauoa would be more comfortable in the wagon unlike phill who preferred the ground.

He was just getting up and heading towards the building that the other's explored as skinner walked out. He had set up camp not far away and was curious about the inside of the building. His tails swayed behind him as he played with the kitsune ball that he had out of awekwardness as he was always unsure about new people and skinner was difficult for him to understand at times. "Was there anything worth exploring in there? Stuff we could sell for money or have the potential to help us?"

Sydith looked from the place that the bug man had been back to the human on the ground. She was begging for help, help that she couldn't give. Nor did she truly care. She had saved them but it was too​ late for the boy, only a miracle would save him.

“I am sorry for your lose, but he is as good as dead. I have no healing capabilities to help him with. It would take a miracle to save him. I wish you the best of luck.” A half sneer crossed her face in the form a ripple. For a human like creature she was not afraid of her, which was odd.

Slowly she turned back to the road and made her way back to even ground. In a few minutes she would join her after the passing of her friend.

From there is she didn't know where to go she could point her in the right direction before continuing on her way. But for now she would let the brave human soul have her last moments with him.

-------dauoa------

Dauõa felt the pleasuring ache that came with changing regularly, The snapping and setting of bones and the tearing of flesh. Standing again he watched as Skinner walked away, his back to him.

Padding after him he exited the ruins and stretched behind skinner giving him a look before taking off into the woods. He didn't really have a destination and he couldn't go far. It was more like he just really wanted to run, and run he did.

A couple of laps around the outside of the camp and he was left feeling bored again. There was nothing to do, and he was starting to get a tiny bit hungry. He could always try hunting, the area had livened up and he had smelled some interesting scents while running around.

But Skinner's command ran through his head. He was not to go very far, but that was based on perception and relativity. Far could be a mile away or it could be 10 miles, if honestly depended on how you looked at it. But the better question was, did he want to chance making Skinner mad.

No, not really.

But if eating a little meat from a random animal helped then he wouldn't be to mad, would he. The chooses played through his mind and he was torn. Stopping just outside the ruins beside the wagon he sat on his hunches and thought it over.

He would go.

If he didn't say anything and just got up and left Skinner might not notice how far he was going. But he kinda didn't was to go alone. Misery loves company, but who to take. Skinner had said he was going to be busy setting up camp and that left Phill. But phill was already sitting down and getting ready for the night.

Dauõa would remedy that. Slowly creeping around the clearing he made his way over to Phill, a glance at Skinner showed him eyeing dauõa over. Oh well, now or never.

Dauõa grabbed Phill, tucking him under his arm and took off into the woods. For some reason he felt laughter bubbling up, it was like of like a game.

“So now that we're away from Skinner, want to hunt.” He asked as he set Phill down. “I won't kill anyone but I feel the need to chase something, so let's hunt.” Turning around he sniffed the air, catching a few scents.

----eskia----

Eskia did nothing more than glare at shane. Was that all he cared about, gold. Treasure. There was more to be had on this journey than treasure. But for now they had to deal with whoever was raiding the town.

In all of his screaming for treasure he had alerted them and the thundering of hooves was escalating quickly. She was just one person and even though she could probably deal with them all, she had never been in a real fight. And her magic wasn't geared towards fighting, not that she couldn't. She just didn't want to take the time to convert censorkip.gif over into a fighting style of magic.

“Great you big buffoon. You have alerted everyone in the town over there that we are here. And guess what, there not nice people and they are coming to kill us.” Just as she finished a group of riders broke over the crest of the hill. Most were on horses of varying shades of brown and black, one or two was white. The leader - or what was presumed to be the leader. Came in front of the rest riding a large reptile like bird looking thing.

She just stood and watched as the thundered down the hill and started to circle around them. There were about 30 so it didn't take long to have them closed off.

“AND LOOK WHAT WE HAVE HERE BOYS, A UGLY CHICK AND TWO HUMAN MEN.” The lead called fro. His place on top of the lizard.

Cocking a eyebrow she just watched, unimpressed.

“SO WHAT DO WE OWE THE PLEASURE OF MEETING TODAY.” A sneer creeped up as some men dismounted from their horses stalking closer.

Eskia turned her vision back to Shane, annoyance clearly written on her face. Already she was changing some runes in her head and thinking of ways to string the commands together to make them powerful.

"Remember stupid, this is your fault."

Tears streaked down Bec's cheeks as she looked from the water elemental back to her dying friend on the ground. She rose to her feet and looked the shimmery woman in the eye, "You're wrong" she said firmly. Rain had a bag. A bag with all the medical supplies they bought in town. Bec slid to her knees beside Rain's unconscious form, 'I will be right back. Don't... die on me" she said to his unconscious form. She stood and broke into a sprint back to the road.

She didn't get far until a very important fact dawned on her. She wasn't wearing the necklace anymore. It must have gotten lost in the struggle. Her form flickered and gave way to a small hummingbird. no. No. No. NO. NO! she screamed in her head as she hovered midair for a moment. Even if she found the bag, there was no way she could move it in this form. Her little hummingbird heart was pounding in her chest and she felt like crying. She was so useless! Why did she even agree to come on this trip. All she managed to do was piss off David, get beat up by Shane, and kill Rain.

Her small bird body was made quick work leaving the forest. She zoomed across the field towards where they were attacked. Sure enough, there was Rain's bag laying in the grass. She hovered over top of it and glanced around rapidly. She needed a plan. She wasn't about to give up on saving her friend.

A soft whistling turned her attention to the road. There was someone riding this way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Ishmael

Ishmael was on his way to visit family on the other side of the hills when something truly peculiar happened. A brightly colored hummingbird zipped from the field to his right and hovered right in his face. the tiny bird flickered it's long, hair thin tongue at him and few a tight circle around his head and flew towards the forest. Ishmael watched as it came back and repeated the motion. He stopped his horse and held out his hand. The little bird landed on his hand and pecked his thumb. It seemed to be trying to grab it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Bec

Bec was desperately trying to signal to this man that he needed to follow her. Right now she was trying to physically pull him in the direction she wanted him to go. Please. I need you help. my"Friend is dying" Bec shifted mid sentence and dropped to the ground with a heavy thud. The man dismounted his horse and was at her side in an instant, "Ma'am. Are you hurt? Where did you come from?"[/color],he asked concern across his face.

Bec grabbed the man by the shirt, causing a shower of colorful powder raining on her cloths, "You have to help me. My friend has been attacked. In the woods.

Ishmael followed the direction she was pointing then looked back down at her. This felt like a trap. What if it wasn't though. He would be leaving a helpless...whatever to grieve over her dying friend. he couldn't have that weighting heavy on his soul. Ishmael helped the girl to her feet, "Show the way"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Skinner

Skinner exited the temple and was surprised to see that Phill had already set up camp for them. Skinner spit his cigarette into the fire pit he made and the tender caught quickly. He took a seat on what was left of a toppled pillar and kicked off his boots, 'Thanks for setting up Phill" he said to the boy across the fire. Skinner had some down time so he was going to try to research that that thing was. OR at least find a way to restore what was written on the walls.

While he was buried in his book, he failed to notice Phill get snatched up by Daoua. "Phill. Whats another word for restore. I need something specific to-" he stopped short when he looked up and realized that the kitsune was gone. Skinner looked around, even checking behind him. That kid was quiet, he would give him that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~David

David holstered his gun and raised his hands over his head in a show of being unarmed. About thirty bandits circled around them, cutting off any chance of escape. This was bad. There was no way he was going to die after coming this far just because some meathead can't keep his mouth shut.

“AND LOOK WHAT WE HAVE HERE BOYS, A UGLY CHICK AND TWO HUMAN MEN.” the man on the bird lizard yelled to the group, who answered with a series of chuckles like the morons they were.

“SO WHAT DO WE OWE THE PLEASURE OF MEETING TODAY.” he yelled, this time to the three travelers. David cocked his eyebrow and remained calm. Maybe that wasn't a rhetorical question?

David winked at Eskia and took a step forward. Despite his hands up, the men surrounding the leader tensed and raised their weapons. David didn't try to push his luck so he stopped where he was. He could do this. It was just like back in Chicago when there was a misunderstanding with a deal. All he had to do was keep his cool.

"Sorry we are late to the party!" he called back with a light laugh, "Looks like you guys had all the fun without us" David cautiously lowered his hands and paced in front of the leader. "You see. My associates and I have heard stories of your victories over the helpless and weak and we wish to join your ranks" he explained. David was on a roll now, the lies were coming easier now, "We offer our hands. We may not use swords or...other... smashy things. Be we do posses weapons from the near future. We think we would be a great asset to your army".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Bec

Bec rode on the back of the colorful man's horse, her clothing getting covered from the unending colorful powder that fell off his body. There were thundering across the field at full speed. They blew passed Rain's bag and Bec snagged it off the ground by leaning off one side of the horse. Bec pointed straight ahead over the man's shoulder, "there. He is that way" she said as they pushed on.

Bec jumped off the horse before Ishmael was able to pull it to a complete stop. She dropped to her knees next to rain's still body. She felt around his neck and found a pulse. A faint pressure against her two fingers. She felt like crying again, this time out of joy. He wasn't dead. She wasn't too late. "He's over here!" she called to the man she met. On the ride over, he told her that he had some healing abilities but they weren't what she thought. Bec now understood.

The man kneeled over Rain and looked him over with a thoughtful hum every few seconds. He stood and nodded. Without warning, two more Ishmaels appeared in a puff of colorful dust that settled on the ground around them. Together, they reached down and placed their hands on Rain.

At first, it seemed as if they were praying and Bec worried that she found someone that didn't have any real healing magic. It was not visiable, but Rain's wounds, inside and out, began to close. at the same time, the same wounds began to open on the three identical men. One coughed and sprayed a vapor cloud of red as blood began to fill one lung with no resulting injury.

After a few seconds, The men rose to his feet. Each man was nearly identical to the original, spare the splotches of colors that covered their bodies. The two new men smiled before exploding into clouds of colorful dust. Ishmael knelt back down and pressed his ear against Rain's chest. He smiled and looked up at Bec, "Well, I think he is going to be fine, we divided his wound to the point of nonlethality. He just needs to rest" Ishmael said, sudden'y pitching forward to his hands and knees. He clutched his chest and could see a circle of blood forming on his shirt. Bec ran to his side but he waved her away, "I'm fine. I'm fine. I won't be going anywhere anytime soon though"

he said with a soft chuckle.

Edited by padfoot

Shane quickly drew a switch blade, one cleverly kept secret up until that point. Holding it reverse grip, Shane adopted a fighting stance, daring someone to come down and fight him. He was big enough to drag someone from their horse, but there were many, many more of them. The only time he was surrounded like this was during a bad deal between gangs, which was luckily interrupted by the cops. But here in this land, there was no police force, nothing that could get them out of this. Shane was not going to be no one's plaything, and would fight to the end.

"You see. My associates and I have heard stories of your victories over the helpless and weak and we wish to join your ranks" David was saying to the horsemen. "What are you doing? We should use our advantage!" Shane said, ready to pull his shotgun out. Unfortunately, it only had four shots, which wouldn't be enough. But if a good shot could be landed, it would send off a good message. A dead leader and loud bang would scare anyone off who wasn't familiar with firearms. It was worth a try.

Phill had been stretched out and sat down relaxing and watching his surroundings. He saw dauoa getting closer but just assumed that he would come nearby and take in his scent or walk past him to find something more interesting than a kitsune that would put up way too much a fight only to prove to be a small snack. He was proven wrong about being ignored when he was snatched up underneath dauoa's large arms and carried off into the forest.phill heard daoua laughing and decided that he wasn't in any danger so he didn't make a noise or shock the larger male.

He stood up straight for the moment looking at the huge creature that looked down at him while speaking. "We can always chase things, whenever you want you can pick me up and we can hunt just try to give me a hint it is for hunting, that way i can expect it and not be so surprised." Phill laughed as he got over his surprise. Phill crouched down getting much lower to the ground his hands on the ground and using his enhanced sense of smell he was able to pick out the scents of rabbit's, squirrels, and even deer. He looked back at Dauoa "what do you want to go after? I think maybe rabbits could give an okay challenge with their speed but then again i am not sure how fast you are."

------------sydith----------

Sydith watched the girl leave only to come back a few minutes later. She had brought a friend with her, and power wafted off of him along with the funny colorful powder that covered his body.

It was most fascinating when he split into 2 other clones, surrounding the boy with 3 copies of himself. She couldn't see exactly what he did but when he got up and moved the boy looked leagues better.

“If you need a place to rest, feel free to follow me.” With that she left back to the clearing that she had vacated earlier. It didn't take her long to reach it and the sounds of footsteps signalled the arrival of the others.

“Feel free to stay as long as you like, this is a protect place so you don't have to worry about being attached. But on the same note this is a sacred place so treat it with the care and respect it deserves.” Walking to the edge of the pool she wadded in and dropped out of sight into the water.

-----rain-----

It burned

The pain was blinding, enough that it brought him to fitful state of being awake. He wasn't sure how much time had passed but, did it matter. He had had died right, he shouldn't be feeling any pain. But he was.

It was a dull ache in his chest where that thing had stabbed him. Then there was the void, the empty black hole in his soul were a piece of him was missing. If he had died then he shouldn't be feeling that. So then, did that mean he was alive?

Fighting off the heaviness of his eyelids he pried them open. It was dark.

The sky was lit up with small stars, each shining and flickering to a different beat. Quiet breathing drifted to his ears and a familiar presence pulled his attention to the being next to him.

Bec was on the ground next to a small pool of water, pastel pebbles littering the ground around her. She was turned away from him so it was up in the air if she was asleep or not.

“B….e…..c” his voice cracked as he worked sound up through his throat, a parched mouth only making it worse. Rolling over onto his side he steadied himself and pushed up into a sitting position.

He felt….hollow

Pulling his shirt off with a little trouble he pressed cold fingers to the spot that there should have been a hole.

How?

The feeling of emptiness was not from the wound. Then the memory came.

He was leaning over her, he had watched her cry as he ripped his power out and forced it into her. He had given her a fighting chance, but….. he wasn't supposed to have lived.

No… no no no nononono

A kitsune without magic is a walking target, easy food for other creatures that liked their taste. But now his powers were housed in another. A small tear welled and rolled down his face at the loss, why did he have to survive?

“B..e...c” he tried again and leaned towards her, picking a pebble from off the ground. He chucked it at her to get her attention, he wanted to know what happened.

And why he was alive!

------Dauõa------

Dauõa glanced at Phill before stalking off a little ways. Sniffing the air for anything interesting, a couple of smells may have been interesting enough to chase.

“I hunt whatever, usually people. And i have yet to find something that can outrun me. Or truly hurt me, besides skinner - which he packs a powerful punch. “ His nose stopped in the air facing away from camp, something smelled amazingly good. From past experience the possibilities were slim on what it was. The most likely being a minor deity passing away. A spirit much like he was before the curse hit him.

He paid little attention to Phill as he went in search of the smell.

It didn't take long, but it did put him outside of what he thought would be Skinners parameters. Would he be upset if Dauõa ate it, it was a large ivory mermaid like creature. It had washed up onshore and was now stuck in a pool of sorts, one that was drying up. It appeared to not have enough water to survive in and it gazed at Dauõa with large wet green bubble like eyes.

He could feel the connection to the spirit, excitement and anticipation bubbling through it. Dauõa hadn't been hungry before but he was pushed into a corner by the spirit.

Cave and give in to the curse, as Skinner put it, or stay true to the faith Skinner put in him. He could save the creature although it would he hard. Its size left something to be fearful of. It was a little longer than he was tall and horribly long spines stood out from it's sides, arms, and back. She must have been a river deity, and she was beautiful.

Dauõa took a few steps forward when she said nothing, she just watched him as he got closer.

“What did you come here for fallen one, did you come to eat the flesh and blood of another or to sit and stare. Although I suppose you are nothing more than a mindless beast now.” When she spoke he stopped, he voice sounded like rolling water. Echoey in a way.

Dauõa didn't say anything, he could see her tensing up as it to lash out at him. She wouldn't let him near her, no matter what form he was in. He was to corrupted to touch her, if he did it would leave a taint on her.

Taking a step back he through his head back and let a blood curdling cry Pierce the air. That would surely get Skinner's attention, and phill where ever he was. Both would come and Skinner would be able to help. But just for safe measures he found the connection, and the warmth in him that came from Skinner.

And he pulled.

He wasn't certain if Skinner would feel the hunger or the excitement that the curse was putting out. But he hoped.

-----Eskia-----

Eskia sighed a breath of relief at the pressure being gone from her neck, her shirt no longer being pulled up. Settling back down she swiped at her clothes smoothing them out.

This was exactly the kind of situation she was trying to avoid. But David seemed to be handling it just fine, shane​ on the other hand was going to get them killed. Did he not see that at least 3 of the morons where mages of some kind. Who knew what they dealt in. And what advantage, there guns. There's 30ish of them and probably more over the hill still raiding, raping and pillaging the village. A few shots and more would come.

Taking a step back she started lining up names she could use. Ones that were powerful but hopefully didn't have that bad of a repercussion.

In the meantime the raiders seemed more concerned with David and Shane.

“HA! you know of us and wish to join. I think you lie. Your friend here doesn't look like he wants to join in anything. And your women over there isn't good for anything then maybe a ugly bed warmer for a blind man.” The leader stalked forward to David and Shane. For a moment he just stared him in the eye, but David didn't back down or look away.

“Hahaha, I like you. You have spunk, I would be glad to have you. And you can even keep your hideous wrench.” With that he hoped off of his lizard like bird mount and came to David. He held his hand out to clasp in a handshake. Turning his gaze back to Shane he pointed to him.

“Your friend on the other hand I don't like. If you wish to bring him it will take some convincing. Otherwise will kill him here, as there is no reason to bring another crazy egotistical censorkip.gif*** with us. There's enough of them as is.”

Edited by Acornia