serce2

Maschinengeist

"If you've got nothing else to do tonight and/or need protection from someone, I could make it seem like you're interested in joining. My boss likes to be very hands-on, you see, with new recruits. But I have to stress, you would be volunteering. Not being paid and all that." Not expecting a show of possible concern and interest in his life he staired at her in wonder.

"I'll think about it, and ill come by later tonight if thats ok. I have to go back to the shop first. Got some stuff to wrap up, but where would you like to meet up later?" Came his inquiring voice, full of joy. Not many take a intrest in him, probably because he was kind poor and influencal in the town.

Looking at her in the growing darkness he waited a couple of seconds to hear her out, then he would have to be in his way. But he would defiantly come back. He liked her in most instances and wished to spend more time with her.

"Hey now, why are you looking at me like that?" Joanna turned due to Aaron's silence, and mentally laughed at his expression. She kept a calm facade (for the most part). Her mouth twitched upward once, but she kept it down and played it off as a genuine smile. It seemed like he was actually interested in joining. She had to admit, however, that it wasn't rare for people to join happily if they had a drive, and some recruits had interesting stories to tell and did interesting work for themselves. Still, for not being paid? Aaron didn't seem like- no, he did. He did seem like the type of guy who would take an opportunity for something.

The sun was setting. It was possible to see it as the clouds cleared around the horizon. It was fiery, but not quite like the sun in midday. Very odd to her. Back in San Francisco the sunset was green if there wasn't much smoke that day. Maybe those hues of orange had something to do with more plants around?

Darkness was falling, and Aaron's face became more obscure as the seconds ticked by. She couldn't make out his mouth anymore as he spoke, but his tone was clear and his eyes still sparkled from the buildings lighting up. Regret grew to a small pain in her heart. How old even is he? He's really naive, isn't he?

"Hey hey hey, you forgot to tell me how much you owe. I don't have much time, so here- 50 dollars should cover it if those crazy inflation theorists weren't right." She knew she had no right to confront Aaron's avoidance of the topic. Internally, she didn't want to say goodbye. Not because Aaron was the best person ever or something, her childhood friends in Chicago and her connections in SF were better, but because what waited on the other end of that door was more unpleasant than being the outsider in town for a few hours. Whole lotta more unpleasant.

She said, "I don't really know when and where I can be. What's your phone numb- oh." It suddenly dawned on her that no one in this town pulled out a phone yet. "Err... Nevermind. I'll try to come over here some time tomorrow."

"Goodbye." She carried out the movements of waving. PB had stopped watching her through the glass; Joanna could see the light from his phone. Probably playing a stupid game or something.

Through the entrance came a burst of warm air. Joanna closed her eyes for a second, not realizing that she was cold.

"Miss Graham! You wont believe what this town has!" Her eyes flew open again.

"Goodbye." She said in a quiet voice.she seemed as reluctant to leave as he did. Did she not like the organization she was in, if not why stay.

Taking the cash that was shoved into his hands as she hastily retreated to the building, he stood watching her go. It stood to remind him in the differences between the two.

Turning he walked off at a brisk pace, ready to get the events of the night over with. He just wanted the night over so he could wake up tomorrow, go back to the library and meet joanna again. After a couple of short cuts and Jay walks later he was standing infront of the little building he had been at earlier that evening. ~Well time to get this over with.~ Holding his breath he pushed the door open and walked in.

-------------- Time skip. (3 hours) ----------------

Aaron puller himself through his front door into is little living room. If you could call it a living room, his whole house was about 1/2 from the library and it conststed of a couch that was a pull out bed, a stove and a sink. Cluttered around the house was random junk laying around that he found. In the far corner was a little door that lead to a bathroom. Dodging the couch and a small stand with some books on it he made his way to the bathroom. Shutting the door he took off his shirt, throwing on the floor. Picking up a jug of clean cold water he filled a small pail with some and started to clean himself up.

Once he was done he stood and made his way back to the door, shivering and cold. Stopping in front of a small mirror that graced the floor next to the doorway he gingerly picked it up and looked at his reflection. He looked bad, he had faint purple marks around his neck and a cut above his eye. Frowning he put the mirror back down and made his way to his little wore out couch.

By anyone elses standards it was ugly. It was made from a rough green and brown polyester fabric with patchers on the arms, marking as a show of age. Pulling on the bottom of it the couch popped out with a loud metallic scream. Exhausted he throw himself down and fell asleep thinking about meeting joanna tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fifi sat snuggle in the bottom of the bag, cramped by some oranges and a tin container. That stupid human must have forgotten her, although at the moment this himan seemed like someone with more info on what was going on. If she sat still she hopped that the woman would forget her, the oranges, and the chocolate. So she would need to get into the bag. If she could just sit and listen to the woman talk and then sneak away when she was asleep that would work for her. Now to listen and to wait.

Behind her, Aaron already faded out of sight.

"Miss! It's nice to see you!" How she hated Mrs. Schmitt's shrill. Joanna looked up to see most of her party's senior staff either lounging, leaning, or in her boss's case, taking a swig from what suspiciously looks like wine. Her boss pulled away and walked toward Joanna, with an open stance and arms out. The PR head took a step back, intending to avoid the hug without disrespect to her superior.

"Nice to see you've had enough time to visit a small, dingy midwestern town." She said in monotone, trying her hardest not to roll her eyes. Schmitt didn't pick up on it, thankfully.

"Ah! Well, when our research team decided to check back on this place, we found something very interesting!" Her face was lit up and full, something not usually seen in the politician. "Did you know there's been reports of things that move?"

Spit was beginning to fly on Joanna's face. She pulled her face back from Mrs. Schmitt's, trying to look somewhat pleased. "That's nice." Joanna was interested, but she didn't want to get her info from her.

"Very, very nice!" Schmitt leaned over more, her eyes sparkling. Despite her energy being a facade, her entire facial features conveyed warmth. "Did you know that one of our corporate partners caught an airplane? I wanted to see it, but it was covered with tarp. It was moving and writhing around, and I stayed far away. But, imagine that, impenetrable steel moving!"

Okay, now she's gone completely crazy. Joanna facepalmed, not caring what it would mean for Schmitt's feelings.

Her throat was beginning to feel dry. How long ago was it since she had something to drink? She didn't have the opportunity with Aaron, despite promising tea. Thank goodness I have oranges.

Meanwhile, her boss continued on, oblivious. "And today, two boys said they saw a centaur assault our train. Imagine the potential we could tap into! Now, you're being assigned to group B..."

What could a lowly PR person do?

==========

Nighttime. This was a rare opportunity to prowl the streets in search of extra fuel. The Lindor advised them not to do this back at base, or at the very least don't set a pattern.

I am doing the very least, thought an animate train, 3455, as they took a quiet trot through residential districts. While it was approaching rush hour, a concept they knew well, nighttime would mask them.

They could sense the hum of electricity. It could take many forms- there was the hiss of gas from one house, steam from another. Despite the traffic lights being no longer being maintained, they could still feel wires from the pressure pads flowing under the streets. None of this was accessible. Not morally or logically.

Before them was a house liable to fall down at any moment. It was dead for sure- not even a glimmer of consciousness waiting to wake. However, they could feel that something much smaller made its home here. There was a beacon, for certain. Also, the residue of batteries. 3455 let their arms fall to the ground as they carefully pushed open the rotting door. It opened easily, too easily. They pushed harder, before stepping back to see what would happen.

A beam of light struck the Starling's chest and they stood up, alert. Both thoughts of detection and of a challenge whirled in their mind as they lowered and charged toward it's source- a lonely car, turning to home. In their current form, 3455 barely stood at the car's height, but they were still able to enter a headlock, lift and knock it to the side. Only after the deed was said and done did they feel a sense of regret. Blood and fuel both wasted.

"Apologies, human." They said, but whether the car's inhabitants could understand them was a different story. It took a moment of gunfire for the Starling to realize that the humans weren't simple residential folk.

----------------------

"Call in from the intersection of Sycamore and Chase!" A boy, probably no older than 16, was alternating his attention between a GPS many times broken and his flip-phone. Joanna didn't recognize him; he seemed new, but the way he acted as they met suggested that she simply didn't ever see him back at base. He looked just a little like Aaron, though he had darker skin. Similar eye color, though. Vibrant. I'm going to forget about this town easily. Joanna thought with a sense of sadness. Even though her day was great, and despite "hunting" who knows what, riding around at night in an open-topped car for two hours felt great. The wind left a chill on her face, though this time her ears were covered with a cheap, red beanie. All around her, homes were cheering up as people were returning to them. On one street, she saw a lit-up Christmas tree. It stood out as the only red thing for miles around, a beacon of faith and the human spirit. The town felt, just a little, like what she knew of her childhood. If the Midwest was this well-off, and Chicago fell under the Midwest, was it due time to return for a weekend?

The car swerved suddenly. After a brief moment of contact, Joanna apologized to her guard. An intimidating rifle hung from their chest under a cover of cloth, and their face was in shadow. Joanna shivered, and avoided eye contact there on out.

Now they were close enough to hear it. Rapid gunfire, enough to draw bystander attention. No cops, as usual. Something she didn't understand: there were no return shots. She knew confrontations well, after accidentally being caught in the middle of one. This wasn't a normal one. A massacre, or perhaps simply a mistake on her analysis.

But why were they heading toward it? Any time a fight broke out at home, everyone would be pulled as far away as possible. A sudden meeting, discovering they had a few extra bucks in their bank accounts for coffee. People were simply too expensive to replace.

The car turned again, skidding under the sloppy turn. Ahead, something long, about a human's size was moving around, causing a sudden break. Meanwhile, people were shooting at it, but it didn't slow down at all. The light from the gunfire revealed that whatever it was, it was shiny and very weird. A few moments later, she learned of its strength. Anyone hit by those arms were hurled back, and Joanna had no doubt that at least one cracked their skull or spine.

"Grenade! Cover your ears!" She responded too slowly. Far enough away from the scene, the sound didn't cause her any harm, but she was more disoriented than before. The night covered the bodies, but she could hear the scream of houseowners coming outside to a corpse on their porch.

Are we fighting a demon? Is this punishment? She couldn't stop staring at how it, the beast, had turned on a beam of light from its head. When she was a kid, her picture books talked about deep sea fish who had lights on their heads. This must be one of those, come up from the ocean to devour.

The light was shining directly in her eyes now. Goodness, it was bright. Through the shouting, through the gunfire, she thought she could hear laughter. Louder and louder, as loud as the sins she's committed.

There wasn't a sound to describe a car simply splitting in half. It was behind her now, the wind was tearing at her face. Somehow, she was hanging on the side of a tiny train, barely enough to hold her over the ground.

Her hands wanted to pry loose from the bars. Her years of travelling the often-dangerous San Francisco buses wanted to hold on.

A brief memory of her life floated in front of her eyes. Hazy and unfinished, her worst memories played over and over. Old doubts bubbled up in her. The bag she carried and its true owner was one of them.

-------------------

They were going to yell at 3455. There was no doubt about it. "An ancient desire for pride and honor," the makers would begin, and they wouldn't stop for a while. Bench them, too, probably. Such was fate. They would find a way to have fun, of course, there was crunchy coal and hills to play King on. They would be in a place far, far away from the mass of human being, far away from anything to fight, and far away from their true masters, the lords of the dollar and lords of glass and steel, stuck in nature and a simulated environment.

The Starling punched a tree, not caring if it belonged to a human. It bent easily under the force, but sprang up again. No matter, it was already far behind them.

Gunfire barely scratched their armor. The humans didn't know better, so 3455 took pity on them. How terrible it must be to be so weak! Unable to charge or wrestle with their own creations. Flesh had it's restrictions, and fat and sugar were simply unable to provide what petrol or carbon would.

They felt grass under their feet, which were now curled into wheels. With a snort, they lightly hit all their wheels on the ground to uncurl them, and they checked their first 10 for any dirt marks. Not enough to matter, they would be cleaned soon.

They wanted to fight something. No train line ran nearby that was away from civilization, so that was out of the question. Perhaps something might be hovering overhead. 3455 got on tip-toe, and moved their head side to side, scanning for electricity. Behind them, something crackled. On them, something crackled.

They bucked and twisted their body, their beam of light falling on a body on the ground. Female, rather young. She had a bag, with something electric in it. 3455 opened it, but not without pausing to shoot a look of disgust at the symbol of a animated aeroplane on it. Seems like 3455's fellow machines were trying to take them down.

They pulled out a fox. A few oranges rolled out, some half-eaten. The fox, a toy, was alive, with a strong energy signature. "Hello." They said, pulling old audio files and playing them. The only question is, does it have a microphone?

Edited by serce2

Hearing the screams of those caught in the disaster, caused by one of its own kind, fifi shook. She may not have liked humans all that much but she would never with death on them. She felt the bag compress on her and then she would lose touch with all sides as she was flung about in the bag. She couldnt see anything but she could hear the gun shoots and car screeches fade as she and joanna was taken farther away from this mecha's aftermath.

If she had a heart it would have stopped as she was once again weightless, landing with a hard thud she she shivered, hoping that Joanna's still alive she listened. She could feel the presence in a electrical sence from the other mecha outside.

Suddenly the bag was busted inthe air and she was roughly pulled out. Looking at something she was half blinded from the light it was shining infront of her.

"Hello" came a monotone recorded voice. ~ well at least it was intelligent. But from the events of the last 30 minutes or so it was aggresive.

"Hi" fifi struggled out in a high singsong voice. She started to struggle to get down, she hoped joanna was still alive. "PUT ME DOWN." She shrill voice range out in the cold night air. Panic started to set in when he didn't let go. " I swear to my maker that if she dies I'll have you dismantled!"

-------------. --------------. ---------------

Something stirred Aaron out of a sound sleep. Sitting up he looked around the small room and listened. For him living on the other side of the library, away from down town, there was a lot of noise. More noise than the occasional car blairing by.

Standing up he walking on sore and tired limbs to the window, not much could be seen outside though. But something was pulling him that direction. Like a button had been pushed Aaron whipped around and ran to his little bed side table. Opening the drawer he reached his hand in and smiled when he found what he was looking for.

Grabbing the flashlight he ran to the door, slipping on his dark jacket and beat up old sneaks he raced out the door. Outside the bite of winter was present. Turning on his light he could see his breath as it came out in little puffs of air.

Listening to the noise he set off the the right, walking briskly away from town. His ungloved hands started to turn red in the fridge night air, dusting his cheecks the same color.

He could hear it distinctly now, the sound of screams and the crackling of possible fire. As he draw closer to the scene he could see bodies thrown about, cars where overturned and trees and other debris littered the ground.

Coming up to a young man who looked like he had been hit in his car by something he stopped to evaluate what could have done it.

" Hey, what happened?" He asked in a quiet tone so as to not upset anyone still around that was not dead and being tender to.

" I tryed to miss it, when I got close enough .... I thought....... shes gone." Came the boys broken and crying voice. He was beaten up pretty bad. He had a large cut on his head and it looked like maybe his are was broken.

Solemnly he pointed in one direction away from the road, away from town, away from civilization.

" Dont worry I'll go look for her. I'm sure she's ok?" Smiling he gave false hope and took off at a brisk jog in that direction.

Trees littered the ground, whatever had come through here was quit large. It looked like a small car car come through. But thats not possible, is it?

Following the trail and dodgeing the occasional 'police' officer he keeped following the trail. Hoping that he would happen across any surviver that this thing may have left alive.

Edited by Acornia

A billow of dark steam- smoke, really, rose from 3455's makeshift mouth, and they threw themselves back, wracked with laughter. The noise sounded somewhat human, but it was really steel over steel, not a voiceclip from long ago.

A little mecha thought that it- female voice, so perhaps she- could face down a locomotive just by idle threats. 3455 cracked a grin with their jagged steel teeth and changed their grip on the little fox, holding her by what would be the scruff of her neck had she been organic. They raised her up to eye-level/light-level, but turned down their beam to see past all the glint. A green glow fought from the inside of the fox as 3455's own light no longer repressed it.

The Starling switched to the words of one of their late conductors. The now-dead human's voice was rich and deep, reminiscent of the days where people boarded a train to see new places and things, though those qualities were diminished when 3455 began to stitch their own sentences. Somehow, even past the distortion, they still sounded like they could be wearing a top hat right now. "Put you down? Why should I? You are with her, and she's aligned with the airplanes." They jabbed one of their many rubber claws toward the bag and it's symbol.

The train held the shrill fox up higher. Now, if they let go, they had no doubt that the fall would damage her at least to the point of harmlessness. A hiss of steam emanated from their mouth, mixing human speech with more inanimate sounds. "I could dismantle you right now, mecha. You are lucky that the inanimate hierarchy has changed."

The jagged teeth once again moved, opening enough to show a fire burning deep down. "Tell your master that none of this has happened, and I'll see to it that the human is taken care of."

==========

Her body felt like it was going to simply waste away. Hanging on to the tiny train was hard enough, with her body practically freezing from the wind, but being thrown off it was harder. The harsh light moved away from her, alleviating some of her headahce.

You've felt this before. You need to get moving. Joanna was frozen, her eyes struggling to open. In front of her, she could hear a creepy voice greet her, a shrill one respond, and suddenly another one, calm and sonorous, chiming in with an odd accent.

She wasn't dead. None of her injuries felt severe enough to warrant her going mad. Aside from a migraine and a bump in the morning, her head was fine. Legs were bleeding, clothes were torn and she could feel the skittering of tiny bug feet on her. "H-hey," she croaked out. It was barely more than a whisper. "Who's there?"

Edited by serce2

"I could dismantle you right now, mecha. You are lucky that the inanimate hierarchy has changed." The voice was different this time as fifi was hosted even higher into the air.it was deep and has a resonance to it. Turning its lights down she got a good look at what was its face.

Metal teeth framed a mawl that opened to a red inferno.

No matter which way she looked at it she was in trouble. If he dropped her the impact would severely harm her amd if he decided to eat her, well theres no coming back from that.

"Tell your master that none of this has happened, and I'll see to it that the human is taken care of." With smoke still coming out in whips he let his voice sink in. See to the human,, was he going to tend to her by killing her, to put her out of her misery.

" Dont harm a hair on her head, and put me down gently and ill sent a false report to Kate, my maker." Hanging still she know he wasnt going to hold to his side first, she would have to risk her self and the safety of the human by upholding her end first. Fifi grow really still and hung limply from his hand her light changed from thw soft green to a bright yellow, lighting her up like a light. Seconds ticked by as she talked to Katherine and told her that everything was ok, that it was a stray plane that had made all the commotion.

Coming back to thw present her light flipped back to green and she started to move again."there, anything else you want, scary train man." She snarked out in her high womans voice. She was small but she wasnt going to let this giant hunk of steam rolling metal get to her.

----------. --------------.

Aaron had been walking for what seemed like ages in the dark. Nothing but the light from the flashlight to guide his way. The cold night air was really starting to get to him, his legs would have been sore from all the walking had they not been num from the cold. But still he pushed on because now he could see a dim light bouncing through the trees occasionally. It would light up his way, then disappear as whatever it was pointed its light in another direction. Following its trail was harder now that there was more obstacles in his way. The trees seemed to come together and brush grow up from the cold frozen ground, in an effort it seemed to keep him away.

"there, anything else you want, scary train man." Came the high pitched voice of what sounded like a women. She was aggregated and upset about something. Alking a couple more steps he his light hit something that gave off a slight reflection. It looked to be metal.feeling his heart in his throat he hoped they hadnt noticed him as he creeped up Along what a small train. He lifted his foot and got tripped over a large root that happened to be growing above ground, pitching foward he fell hard on his hands and knees.

Letting out a low grunt from the impact he looked up, not even 10 feet from him on the ground lay joanna. She was battered and bleeding from some cuts and bruises. Feeling the cold seemping in through his skin he know that she was most likely ice could. noticing some movement he looked up into the face of a machine. One that was never supposed to leave the tracks in the first place.

3455 closed their mouth, keeping precious heat from escaping. They had enough oil stored along all their cars to keep them going for a day or two, but not if they kept being reckless. A single claw bent to the ground and let go its fine grip on the fox. It now extended outward in the symbol for a handshake.

Conductor-voice again. "Very well. If she has Seen the inanimate, then she is no enemy. I will take her to the hospital." The Starling checked their many components quickly by sending a electrical shock through themselves. Nothing damaged. They glanced at the human female, and bent over it. Hands retracted their long, rubber claws for a moment as they extended outward. Pause. 3455 turned their head toward the fox mecha again. "If you wish to sweeten the deal, a bag of coal should put you in my good graces. Though, I think you can lift nothing more than a piece."

Something moved in the grass a few feet away. The sound itself was hard to detail, but hearable. Immediately, a brightened beam of light covered it- another human.

The animate train huffed, but instead of turning to the fox for another deal, they drew themselves up. Four strong arms pulled the prone female up onto their smooth, arching back, before crossing in indignation.

"Go ahead, human. You can't hurt me." They hissed.

Relief flooded through fifi as the train mecha bent over ever so slightly, gently putting her on the ground. Giving a last shiver to her inanimate body at the situation, she glanced at it with mild agitation.

With his claws still outstretched in a sign of a momentary truths fifi inclined her head. silent seconds slipped by as he looked at her before he turned his attention back to joanna. Bending over slightly as if to pick her up his attention returned to fifi.

"If you wish to sweeten the deal, a bag of coal should put you in my good graces. Though, I think you can lift nothing more than a piece." Came his voice sounding some what amused.

She staired at him with green tinted glass eyes.

" You must be stupider than you look, I'm all of maybe a foot and i have a internal battery. I have no need for coal." Huffing to herself see looked between the two.

Off to the side of the trio some branches snapped followed by a dull thudding . Startled by the sudden noise her head snapped in its direction as she shuffled closer to the larger mecha, hoping for some sort of protection.

Illuminated by the trains light, Fifi's eyes staired up at aaron from the ground, as he looked up at the train, fear was radiating off of him in waves. Behind her she could feel the other mecha moving swiftly, tilting her head she watched it pick joanna gingerly off the ground and slide he onto his back.

"Go ahead, human. You can't hurt me." He hissed out forcefully. She only had seconds to think she before she raced out between the two, deciding that the larger of the two mecha was the bigger threat she leaves him with her gaze.

"Stop ..........he won't hurt you." She squeaked out in a voice as strong as she could, trying to hold his attention on her. "He's a friend of the lady, joanna." Inclining her head toward the back of the train where joanna lay prone.

-----------------------------. --------------------------

Aarons staired up at the bright light that was blinding him. Slowly he raised on arm up to block the light, hoping to get a better look at the mecha.

"Go ahead, human. You can't hurt me." Aarons eyes tried to focus in on the grating metallic sound. He could hear the shuffling of leaves and the soft scraping of metal on metal. Trying to get a closer look he leaned foward on his knees. "Stop.........he won't hurt you" something said about 5 feet in front of him. " Eh, I dont plan on hurting anyone, I just want my friend back" He said in a quivering tone. Getting his legs back underneath him, he rose up wobbling slightly. The first couple steps where slow as he worked the cold muscles making his way toward the voices.

Edited by Acornia

"We already have a deal." 3455 snarled at Fifi. They now stood an entire car higher, with 8 sets of arms in total. "I know he can't hurt me. I'd like to see him try, in fact."

The animate train twisted back to look at the human they carried. "I have no need for an extra load. In fact, please, take it!" They shook somewhat like a wet dog, steel screeching as old screws rubbed against each other. A slight crunch resounded, muffled slightly by the grass. The Starling took a few steps back and turned their lights fully up, simply observing the situation.

"Our deal is settled, Mecha. The next time we meet you're scrap metal without any coal." They turned away, laughing under their breath. The fox just bought them some time! All sets of legs began working in tandem as 3455 reignited their engine.

==========

"Help." She whispered, mostly to herself by now. Another impact with the ground left her too weak to even get up. Shock already wore off, but adrenaline wasn't simply kicking in.

A voice sounded familiar. Did the Capumist Party catch up? Despair was in their voice. Nice to know they tried to find me.

Edited by serce2

Aaron stared at the retreat of the larger form, gaining some composure as the light faded. In front of him lay the crumpled body of Joanna. A breathless whisper for help escaped her lips, a last attempt to reach out. She looked pale and lifeless, if she didn’t get help soon Aaron was afraid that she may die from hypothermia. Taking a couple of hasty steps forward Aaron dropped to his knees, checking Joanna’s pulse. Thump…. thump…...thump……. it beat faintly, fluttering like the light beating wings. Drawing his hands away he slipped one of his arms under her back and the other under her legs, with what little strength he had left he pulled her up from the frozen ground. With Joanna cradles in his arms he gave one last lingering look in the direction that the mecha had gone and pull her closer to him. Even through his jacket he could feel how cold she was. “well now that the big brutes gone I think it’s time to get her someplace safe.” The little mecha said softly looking at Joanna in his arms. Swinging his attention her way he gave her a look of bitterness, turning away from her he started back the way he had come. Luckily he had managed to keep a hold of his little flash light. Using the light to guide his way Aaron retraced his steps back to civilization only occasionally looking back to make sure the little fox was following.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fifi grimaced at the trains last words as he wondered of into the night. Hearing movement she turned her head back to Aaron, watching silently as he picked Joanna up off of the ground. She watched as Joanna’s arms and head hung limply from Aarons arms. “well now that the big brute is gone I think time to get her someplace safe.” She commented softly with concern lacing her voice. Seeing the bitterness in his face as he regarded her, she shrank down and away from him slightly. When Aaron turn and walk away, back down the path he had come, she glanced around once and spotted the bag and the few things it contained. Trotting over to them, she nudged the oranges and coco back into the bag, gingerly picking it up in her mouth. Turning she followed him down the path that was created, pulling the bag along behind her on the ground.

They were free! 3455 punched the air with one of their many arms. The silly fox stayed true to her word, and the Starling didn't need to carry around a human. They grinned with full teeth showing, a little bit of light peeking out from the gaps. Ah, but they should be more careful now. A few humans were nothing, but an entire town on alert might prove troublesome.

Stars glinted down on them. They never bothered to learn the specific angles or positions needed to navigate without a mental map, something they felt a little guilty about. With the rusting of their old engines and the changing of Earth, much of their knowledge of the world was lost.

Now, their entire universe is a narrow corridor from the Lindor's closest encampment to this town and a few fingers reaching outwards, following the rail lines. They could remember how New York City looked like. They could remember the feel, the constant chatter, the skyscrapers but they could not remember how to get there.

A quick fuel check brought back an estimate of one and a half days. Not enough to get all the way to New York- at least, that's what they thought. Unfortunately, the little fox didn't bring any coal.

Another night, and another gamble to make.

==========

Aaron. It was Aaron who picked her up. Joanna opened her eyes, though they stayed half-lidded. "Hey." Her voice barely mustered any power. "I might need to get to a hospital." Blood was definitely trickling down her leg, urging her to scratch. She raised a hand briefly, but it fell back to her body.

It was weird to know how messed up she was at that moment. Physically, her legs must've broken by that impact with the ground. Internal bleeding was a possibility, but she was too tired to panic. Mentally, she was simply exhausted. In the back of her mind, a few thoughts wandered to her Party and their well-being, though her brain refused to think of any sort of work. Plus, whatever it was that she saw, it killed and maimed before her very eyes.

Why did it not kill me? A voice, still present with Aaron and Joanna, dealt with the devil and got it to leave her alone and relatively okay. Compared to the others, that is. Open wounds littered her body. Infection remained a real possibility.

What if I didn't grab on? Death almost got her then. The car was splitting apart. Shrapnel exploded, thankfully nothing in her face. And then, somehow, she leaped out of the way right into a handle bar.

"What was it?" Joanna raised her head. It stung a little, but nothing like trying to move her legs.

Edited by serce2

Aaron held on tightly to Joanna as he trudged his way back to the main road. Every now and again he would stumble, catching his foot on a rock or branch. Causing joanna to be jostled a little making a moan excape. He was worried, listening to her moans, but is was even worse when she didn’t moan. In those instances of silence she would pipe up asking pain laddened questions. But what stuck with him, made him fear that he hadn’t be quick enough, was the dead silence. She would hang lumpy from his arms as if Death was there waiting to take her. It was defining the silence, soon though it was drowned out by the blood rushing through his brains from the exertion of carrying her.

His light swung across hitting a flash of grey, letting him know he had made it back to the road. Stepping out into the open expanse Aaron was mildly surprised that most of the destruction had been cleared away. Mostly what lay before him was little bits and pieces from random cars that had been caught up in the mayhem. A soft moan from joanna brought the urgency back to Aarons actions. “ what was it?” she crocked out.

“I……don’t know.but I know some one how does. But we’ll figure it out once I get you someplace safe.” He said while grimacing at the state of her legs. She must have taken a pretty bad blow, not only was she littered with cuts and bruises but she also had a large gash in her thigh. Looking down the road to the right he set off back to town hoping that someone would stop and help, but after another cold gruelling 10 minutes when no one stopped he gave up his hope. Pulling he closer again he prayed his body heat was keeping her warm enough and she would last. She had lost a lot of blood from her leg, that with the cold gave her a ghostly parlor. Looking around frantically Aaron spotted the tall white stine building that had a large red sign about it, marking it as the hospital.

Aaron gave a burst of speed with the last of his energy see how close it was. Slamming in through the nearest door into the heat he sighed in relief, huffing from fatigue. A couple of people was in what looked to be a waiting room and the receptionist stared with wide eyes. “please, please help her.” Aaron took a couple of steps forward as a nurse came out from a door followed by a doctor and a stretcher.

---------------

Fifi watched silently as Aaron made his back to the road. Her little green light wavering as she had a internal conflict. It was against the rules to tell humans but it was a little late for that. Both Aaron and joanna had seen them first hand. She would have to explain to them what was going on and take them back to her maker, katherine, so she could inform them on what was happening. The sound of joanna weak voice brought her back to the present, they were back at the road. She couldn't follow him openly without risk of being caught so she stick to the underbrush. She followed them for a while shutting between thin trees and under plants, dragging the bag with her. Seeing Aaron reach the hospital she sat down just out of human sight and decided to wait. It wasn't like she would freeze so she didnt worry. Sitting still she resembled a garden statue, holding a bag.

Edited by Acornia

"A-ah. A hospital?" She could see a wall of white approach her. Pain was flaring up her sides now that Aaron was rushing. "Those cost... how did you find one?" As soon as she was transferred to a stretcher, she sat up. Surprisingly, her pain didn't increase. No cracking sound resounded from her torso or waist. So it's my legs, then. Joanna glanced downwards.

A yell escaped her mouth and her eyes shot wide open before she readjusted and murmured, "Sorry." Blood was pouring down from the sides, one place even sputtering. Her arm trembled toward the wounds, fingers splayed, but before she could touch blood a green towel covered her legs. A firm hand pushed her down against the stretcher.

Wheels clattered as they pushed past a doorway. Instantly, a memory popped into her head of an hour ago. It made the same noises. Other than that, everything she thought she knew about the beast was blurry. Here, Joanna frowned. No one mentioned any hellfire yet.

Music was floating from other rooms. Most of it was bland pop songs. However, as her stretched passed by, Joanna could catch a black market CD's with a soulful tune. She turned her head to watch an unknown local sharing a drink with their nurse.

Despite the pain, she smiled softly. The Midwest was very different from the West Coast.

"So, how much will this cost?"

==========

Broken rail lines followed side by side slightly less broken lines. Like a sappy servant dog, 3455 snuffled them, searching for any centuries-old coal dust or drops of oil. Despite not being able to sense cold, the animate train had to kick up their energy output to prevent their wheels from freezing solid.

The prairie spread out before them. According to the Starling's mental map, they would get to the next town in four hours. Only one other train passes by every week, so 3455 was in the clear. They could see why; any houses out here were destroyed and any farmland turned wild long ago. Every once in a while, they hit a sprouting tree. Foxes fled from the headbeam's light, and the eyes of deer glinted in the distance.

3455's head rose from the tracks as they picked up electricity. Drawing themselves up, they curled their first four claws into fists. The signal was erratic though powerful considering the region.

Wood was strewn all over the place. This the Starling picked up hesitantly and burned, recoiling at the "taste". It was barely qualified as 'coal'. Before long, the planks turned to steel, far heavier and smoother. Sometimes glass stuck to pieces, fused with immense heat. Curiosity overtook the mecha. They haven't seen metal used in any homes yet.

3455 looked up and emboldened their light. A light grey carcass lay curled up, grass already growing over it. It was an airplane, with a giant hole in the middle of its body. As 3455 investigated, they lightly kicked the side of it with a wheel or two. Wires stuck out, burned at the edges. Pulling them out, 3455 felt sparks run up their arms. Blue arced across, hissing.

They were at a blank for whatever could cause such damage. Fire was to blame, but no train had enough energy to spare for the high, constant temperature needed. Blue electricity... it was an oddity. Not impossible, but also not practical.

Edited by serce2

Aaron watched as joanna was wheeled away to a door, accompanied by a team of people to help.

" Do you know if she hqs any family to contact"? A gruff voice sounded from behind Aaron pulling his attentuon away from her. He felt a pang of worry shot through him. Why were they asking, is she that bad off. He know that she was in a bad postion but was it that bad that...... he didnt want to think about that. " No, not that i know of. I'm just a colleague."

The older man in the lad coat looked at aaron for a second contemplating what aaron had said. Knoding his head in acceptance he held the door open that joanna had just gone through. "Seeing as we dont have anyone to contact and you are the closest thing to familiarity would you like to stay with her at this time. We dont have much, so she will have to go through the procedure awake. Well have to remove any shrapnel that is left and clean and close up any wounds. And also if she needs a blood transfusion if your compatible we will meed you."

Aaron walked through the door, following the doctor back into the clean hall. Passing many rooms, some with music drifting out, he came to the room that joanna would be in for her time in. " Dont worry we will discuss payment later" the gruff man said from behind aaron.

------------

Katherine walked around her small home, a crease in her brow. It was unusual for fifi to tell her anything so late at night. And shes never lied to her before. So this strange late night transmittion from her worried katherine. Passing by her bed katherine sat down. Maybe she was thinking to much into it, it was late and she was tired. Laying back in the bed she closed her eyes. "I'll have to get her tomorrow and see whats going on." Her words came out slurred as she drifted of to sleep.

((should we timeskip?))

Joanna awoke and shot up. Did I fall asleep? Is it over? She still felt a slight pain, but her legs were warm. "You'll be fine, dear." A nurse smiled at Joanna as she wheeled the stretcher through a clearly make-shift room. It was almost completely bare, save a wooden table that stood out against the gray walls. The bed- a slab really, gained a light blanket over it. Beyond the doorway, Joanna saw Aaron and another, older man talking. The door closed and she lost sound of them.

The group around her were in a buzz, placing glasses of water, cloths, knives on the lone table. The smell of alcohol caught her attention, but whether it was to drink or for some medicinal application, she didn't know. I hope it's not for them.

The door opened, and almost everyone around her save one or two younger-looking nurses put on a cloth around their faces. Those with long hair tied it back. Here we go, Joanna thought, and prepared for pain.

(((yeah, I don’t know how far you want to jump.)))

Aaron watched in mild fascination as items where brought in and set on a little side table. A hand on his shoulder brought him back to the man beside him as he was steered to a chair in the corner of the room. It gave access to Joanna if needed but was out of the way of the nurses as they hustled around her. Joanna was sitting up and watching everything for a couple of minutes before the nurse’s finally crowded around her closing her off from view.

From what Aaron could occasionally see of her face she was pale and frightened, leaning forward he put his hand on her shoulder for reassurance. “it will be ok, I’m here and I won’t let anything happen to you.” He gave her a little squeeze before leaning back to give the nurses more room. From the amount of things, they had and the looks of her injury’s it looked like it would be a long night.

~~~~Time skip~~~~

Aaron sat quietly in the corner after everything was done, worry and exhaustion seeping out of him in waves. Joanna appeared to be sleeping now and he didn’t blame her. The more she slept the faster her recovery. After the surgery the doctor had come to him, wanting to speak in the hall as to not disturb her. “she will be very weak for a while. He recovery time depends on how much rest she gets and how often she is off or her legs. Try to keep her off of them for about 3 weeks, after that she can start walking short distances to build her muscles back up.” Holding out his hand, Aaron shook it before the doctor walked off giving him silence again. The only sounds in the room coming from their breaths.

After a couple of minutes Aaron shot up from his chair. He had forgotten the toy. Glancing around he didn’t see it inside so he back, tracing his path back down the hall and out the door. Following the street Aaron walked close to the edge of the side walk, hoping that by a stroke of luck it may be there hiding in the tall grass.

Fifi waited for what seemed like hours outside, waiting for someone to come back out. Just when she had given up hope that Aaron was ever going to come back out a figure came wobbling her direction. Fifi sat still and watched him draw closer, and a thought crossed he mind. Katherine would be so mad but she could help it. She would have to tell her sometime that two humans know about her. Well at least one, the other was iffy as she wasn’t going so good.

Giving a high pitched kenning noise she alerted Aaron as to where she was, waiting for him to come over to her. As his feet came closer she hunched down a little and arched her back when he reached down to pick her up. She looked him in the eyes as she was brought to eye level, giving a soft grating that was a mimic of a whine she relaxed when he lowered her to his side and bent again to retrieve the bag. She swayed lax in his arms as he carried her back to the hospital, back to Joanna.

Earlier, they came by. Poster Boy and Schmitt, and many more of her Party, brought her gifts, but didn't pay her expenses. You would think that they want a PR person. Joanna rolled her eyes. She carefully counted out her money for perhaps the twentieth time today. All those singles can get one lost.

The nurse beside her looked at the wallet with longing and just the slightest pinch of greed. "We can accept a down payment plan. As long as, you know, four thousand gets to us." With only around two hundred at the moment, the thought of going to her barely-operational banks and driving back just for this made her uneasy. It would mean payment not just for her operation but the cost of trains- add in another thousand for a round trip. With a scrunched-up face, Joanna placed all she had into the nurse's hand. Now, she was alone.

Schmitt was only going to bother staying around for the funerals. The Boss was simply too important to sit out a month or so for some of her more severely hurt 'friends'. And, she was the only one with enough money to pay for all of them.

A pang hit Joanna's heart. Most of the others were going into debt, she was simply lucky enough to have saved up. This, all because Miss Schmitt ordered them to chase a monster.

Three weeks of staying in bed wasn't going to be pleasant. Nurses helped her train and walk around, but she wasn't allowed out on her own.

It didn't hurt her to stand. Joanna could do it, in fact, with ease. Walking still sent dull waves of pain up, but it was manageable.

The room's door opened with a swoosh. From some of the hallway's barred windows, the early sun's rays cut through the dust. No nurses were really walking around; save for some ER patient earlier, there was nothing life-threatening they had to get to.

Conveniently, a chair sat right by a window. It was no different from the bed in the sense that it reminded her of her inability to do things, but the change of scenery was nice.

I should talk with someone. A fellow patient, maybe. Just so I know what I saw.

Aaron had gone back to work and would stop by every couple of days to check on joanna, keeping trake of her recovery. She was slowly getting better and over time she could do more and more. But aaron could tell she was growing restless from 'inactivity'.

But today was a bright and beautiful day, grabbing the bag that had passed between Joanna's and aarons hands he scupped fifi up off the ground behind the front desk of the library and set her in the bag. With all the time they have had they talked about the machines and her master. Although aaron got the impression that she wasn't telling him the truth because every time the topic was brought up she would change the subject or just go silent.

Aaron had been at the libraray, getting done with his shift he decided to head to the hospital and visit joanna he set of at a brisk pace.

The hospital loomed in the air, a presence that couldnt be missed and one dearly meeded in this time of the world. Walkimg to the doors that leave to the main entrance memory's came flooding back, memory's of a cold night and frozen fingers. The sharp and painful memory of joanna in his arms. She was a strange one for him, even now he wasnt to sure why he stuck around. She seemed naive and foolish. But she was kind and caring, something you don't see from people now days.

Aaron treaded on a white tiled floor down hallways that where all to familiar. Turning down a couple of halls that mostly look the same he listened to the faint music as it passed through shut doors. Coming to a standstill he faced a open door where a familiar figure occupied the room.

"Hey Joanna, how are you feeling today. Talk to any of those good looking nurses or doctors" he jokes as he stepped into the room. Taking a seat on the edge of the bed he smiled, reaching into his bag he pulled fifi out and set her on the bed before walking back and shutting the door.

---------

Fifi sat on the soft sheets and hung her head. Giving a soft metallic whine she layed down looked up at the two looming figures.

((Oops))

The creak of a distant door opening startled Joanna. She sat up straighter and put her hands in her lap, ready to start the day with a hollow conversation comprising of asking how she was doing. The nurse was probably returning to give her the receipt. Joanna's teeth clenched as her thoughts returned to her empty wallet and stomach. Unfortunately, the hospital provided only free bread and water.

Cold air hit her face as she gazed up to decidedly different figure: Aaron. The sweetheart managed to find some time for her every week.

She chuckled at the joke, then replied with a quip of her own. "You might be interested in the nurse the other room over. With how she dresses to work every day, you'd think she has an ulterior motive with that patient of hers."

A creak resounded from the old bed as Aaron sat on it. They were facing each other now, but sunlight fell into Joanna's eyes, making it hard for her to see Aaron's expression. She swerved her head around the beam, blinking rapidly. On the bed, a fox toy laid down on the fabric.

"Oh, that's cute! Have I seen it before?" Her eyes lit up at the fine piece of machinery.

Aaron glance over joanna. She appeared alot.png better than than she had the last time he had seen her.

"Maybe, she was there the night that I found you. Shes part of the reason why you are still alive. " Fifi stood up amd walked to joannas hands.

"Please forgive us. Not all of us follows our rules and he was one that didn't." She high voice resonating off of the walls.

Aaron stood and walked to the window with worry on his written on his face.

"What all do you remember from that night." He asked while holding the curtain open, peering outside he watched people coming and going.

" I'm not sure why he did what he did but now that you two have seen me and lived you will have to meet with master. " Fifi nuzzled into the balnkets by joannas lap before looking back up at her.

"Dont worry thought she's a nice lady." Fifi looked back at aaron as he walked back over to the bed.

"But we won't meet her til your feeling better."

aaron commented giving fifi a resentful look. He still had moments when the hate would bubble up. He tryed to remember that fifi wasnt like the other and that not all are bad. But that one first time experience was enough to set him off on a path of hatred.

Joanna repressed the urge to cover her ears after the fox's unexpectedly shrill voice; said fox was on her hands. It, or she, guessing from the voice, felt heavier than Joanna imagined. Her index finger lightly caressed the top of the toy's head. The turning of machinery could be felt even through the metal skin.

Joanna took a moment to process the duo of voices. She began slowly, "So, you're saying that that ((woo awkward wording)) devilish being was like you? I don't see a resemblance." Her head tilted toward the tiny fox as Joanna recalled the figure that broke her car in two. She conceded that they at least glowed, though the fox had a pleasant green aura while the big Thing seemed to hold a fire deep down.

"I think I remember wheels. The sound of them, anyways. Like many-legged horses." Joanna's voice wavered as she tried to recall details. "Its body was shorter than me and hard to cling to." More sunlight fell across Joanna's face, but by now she's gotten used to it. The window outside, when not blocked by Aaron, showed a sky full of puffy clouds, but a cool draft reminded her of winter. "Any snow outside? The nurses said some fell a few days ago."

A shift of weight on her hand brought her attention back to the toy. "You-you have a master? Why are we supposed to meet with... er, her?" Aaron's comment in return left Joanna with a surge of gratitude. She looked up at him with a small smile on her face.

"Why can't she come to us?" Her voice got bolder and more smug knowing that Aaron would back her up. She'll put off her financial woes for today. It was the least she could do for him.

Fifi listened to her questions not wanting to interrupt until she was done. As she finish with a slight air of confidence fifi gave a sigh that resembled a whine from air being blow over a metal cylinder.

"Yes we are both the same kind of thing. We are both mecha although he is made by a different creater than me. My master dibbles in fine and elegant things and im not sure about his master, it he even has one." Fifi looked up at the two waiting a minute to let the info digest.

" And as for the reason why she cant come to you is because its dangerous for her. You two are the first to learn about our kind in a while. I think the last was 70ish years ago. Although I would like her to explain most of it ill explain a little bit if it will help you. Do you know what a lindor is?" Fifi moved to sit at the end of the bed so she could see both students as she started history class.

------

Aaron came to the other side and sat by joanna so they both could look at fifi. Glancing back he answered joannas question from earlier.

" No, no snow." Turning back to fifi he shook his head.

"I have a idea. Like those beings from mythology."

Fifi looked him in the eyes and nodded but waited for joanna to answer so they were all on the same page.

Joanna lightly slapped herself on the cheek. "The weather's been so weird these past few days, I shouldn't be so suprised." There goes her hopes of seeing a winter wonderland. She could've made a snow angel. Or a snowman. Just make use of her legs more.

The fox's lesson took a while for Joanna to make sense of. Creators/masters? Mechas? Her thoughts drifted through her memory, with nothing turning up. She couldn't remember much beyond her work, nothing about school or what interested her as a kid. After a second or two of contemplation, she simply let it go.

Then, she focused her attention on the fox. "Lindor's a common last name, but I don't think that's what you meant." Joanna mentally prepared herself for the long lecture.

A scene, half-forgotten already, popped up in her mind. "Oh! Mechas are like those steel beasts that they claim... to... sorry, didn't mean to interrupt." The lack of a hand pushing her back down threw her off; she forgot she was medically cleared.

Aaron sat back amd listened intently to fifi as she talked smiling slightly at joannas outburst. She seemed like she was getting her energy back. And aaron had a felling that she would need it in the days to come.

"I guess.... but in ancient mythology lindor are a race of advanced people." Fifi stopped her gratting voice for a moment trying to think of a good comparison.

"Kind off lile elves. That is the closes represention that i can think of. They are generally beautiful people who are smart amd prideful. They make many of things, most creatures like me or the other one, all to leep tabs on humans. As humans are a...... subspecies to them in a way. And as you can imagine they stay out of the lime light so as not to attract attention." Fifi stood and walked back to Aaron but looked out the window. A odd high multilayed hum excaping her throat.

"She can't come to you because it will draw attention to her, and that will feed back to nasty men which could lead to the downfall of what little civilization you humans have left. But she with a couple of others wants to stop what is happening but cannot interfere directly. That is where you giys come in, but only if you want to help change the lives of millions. That is all i am permitted to tell you."

Aaron looked from her to joanna a mixture of emotions on his face. On one hand he wanted to go, to do something more with his life than taking care of books. On the other it could be dangerous and he may not come out unscathed if at all.

Glancing at joannas face he smiled. He wanted more to life and he was willing to risk his for the chance to do something exciting and possible historic.

"I'm in. What about you." He gave joanna a hopeful expression. He did not want to forgo this by himself amd he wanted the chance to get to know her better. But whatever she choose he would respect that and stand by her choice.

Edited by Acornia