serce2

Maschinengeist

((Wait who's david))

"Humans aren't alone?" Joanna attempted to clarify. "And they- the Lindor, you said- affect millions of people, are undercover, and are preventing dictators from breaking the human spirit?" Her chest puffed out a little subconsciously after that ending. She was still struggling with a bit of the fox's lesson, relying instead on months of speeches to provide words for her.

Her eyelids fell slightly, eyebrows drawing together. Where has she heard that descriptor before?

Graham made a relatively sharp reply. "In other words, the ones who've costed me extra rent expense in California? Tell them I don't appreciate molotovs on my apartment's front lawn."

Aaron was looking at her oddly. He had a small smile and a knowing look, making it hard to reject him. "Er, well, " Joanna defended, "I have a steady job, I have to pay off this hospital, I have to get back to life and maybe have the opportunity to kick that mecha devil in the... wires? Unless your master comes here or gives me somewhere to live and eat, I'm not interested."

At this point, her annoyance toward the fox's masters grew to a record high in this conversation. Some small seeds of pity were sowed for the mecha from three weeks ago; 'he' was probably only following orders.

Joanna still wanted that train thing to burn into a heap of steel.

Edited by serce2

(((( sorry, no idea)))

Fifi gave a great sign in aggravation. She didn’t understand why it was so hard to understand the way of things. If they didn’t come, then her master would just send people out to get them by force. No one who found out about the lindor where ever left to run wild. It was to dangerous for both the huamns who know and the lindor.

“yes, the lindor try to keep things in check so the human population doesn’t run its self into the ground. You guys know about them now and from your rather unfortunate encounter they know about you. I didn’t give them the exact details, just that I accidently saves one of you from a terrible accident.” Standing she jumped from the bed landing with a loud crash on the floor none to elegantly. She didn’t feel like getting their help down as she was getting slightly upset at having to explain things. She was an observer, someone who gather info for other people who couldn’t or wouldn’t gather their own. Having to teach these two humans about her master’s people was enough to make her pull hair or teeth if she had any.

Scrapping herself up off of the floor she walked and stood between the door and them, facing them with a straight face and as still as a statue. She gave them a couple of seconds to look around and take in the information that she had just given them.

“If it is a place you wish to stay with everything you could want, that is a give, give relationship you could have it. We as the lindor and the mecha will give you anything that you could want but in return we need help on your end. If you come to meet my master she will explain everything better as I am made to observe not to explain the working of the universe” she finished up this last bit with a small growl.

“If you choose not to come then I must inform my master and the lindor will send out annihilating mecha’s for you. “slight sadness worked its way into her voice as rises and falls of her high voice.

Aaron had been standing so still listening to everything that it almost felt like he had forgotten to breath.

Tisssssss

“well if its go and have everything handed to you for work or die then I’ll go. I already live in a ****ty apartment with nothing to my name practically.” Aaron broke the silence while looking at Fifi before he turned his attention back to Joanna sitting on the bed.

Reaching his hand out to Joanna he gave a smile

“so this prince needs a princess because he doesn’t want to lose he a second time. Will she brave the unknown with me?”

((Should 3455 run into them as they're leaving? need to know so I can set him up.))

She was half-tempted to make the comeback, "Oh yeah? My Party has at least fifty hitmen," but shuddered at the memory of Three Weeks Ago. The hospitalization count was already frighteningly high for a beast that stood slightly taller than Joanna's height. From Miss Schmitt's ramble, the injuries sounded gruesome, all in a sickeningly saccharine whine. A specter hung over her; while low, there was a confirmed death count. Joanna still had yet to find out exactly who, as the other Party members were quite superstitious about death.

She could hide, but not for long if she was too frightened to ever board a train again. As much as she distrusted the Lindor, Joanna had to admit they seemed better than an East Coast life again. In fact, the only thing stopping her from saying yes was the hospital.

The fox's clunk down to the floor gave her an idea. "I'm really sorry for this." Joanna glanced at the other doors. "You, fox- do you have a name?- do you know how to fake a death? Well?" She knew that the hospital wouldn't take a random 'suicide' that just oh so happens to come after failure to pay debts. With the state of the economy, she couldn't rely on her banks to pay up all the way from the East Coast, so a sense of guilt fell on her shoulders. Her co-workers would have more debt on their hands.

Joanna took Aaron's hand. "What is a prince? Princess? They sound like positions." She broke the brief contact to rummage underneath her bed. Through the lint and the cobwebs and probably a cockroach or two, she felt cool leather. The bag with the odd bird was still there. Thank goodness they don't search much. Joanna withdrew her hand, shaking and blowing it off. No spiders.

"Either you or That Mecha said something about airplanes. Is this one? It's a very odd bird to me." She opened the flap, easily getting a tin of cocoa. Her hand rummaged through the rest and threw out some old orange peels. A faint smile turned into a mini chuckle. Slightly moldy as they were, those oranges gave her something to look forward to during long days.

(( sure, I dont mind.))

Fifi stared at joanna through glass lenses with a green glow just under the surface. She had though joanna stupid but the more she talked the more she got the feeling she was worried about something.

"Yes I do actually, I am named fifi and my master is Katherine." Pawing at a invisible speck of dust she looked back up, she couldnt smile as it wasnt a feature a metal tin can had but internally she felt a small glimmer of joy. Maybe they would come without any trouble.

"As for faking a death"

Sigh

"I only know of the real thing. If you trust Aaron i could possibly stop your heart with a electrical impulses." Fifi paused thinking things through and letting the air settle around them like a dense fog that there was no escape from.

"The only draw back is that the doctors could revive you. And if they couldnt then I doubt Aaron could." The gears in her head started turning faster as she thought. But all movement stopped as her little internal green light turned blue for a minute.

A gratting screech filled the air as fifi opened her mouth wide showing a small blue ball deep within her workings.

"Hello" silents fell in the room followed by a muffled shuffling noise from fifi. She had connected to Katherine against her will. But she could never truly go against her.

"Hello, this is katherine. Fifi my fox has told me about you to. Follow her directions and when you get here we will take care of everthing. And dont ask, assassin infiltrating and sabotage is what we do best. "

"Thank you that is it." With that Fifi's light turned green again as she closed her mouth and gve a small whine.

------

Aaron looked at the design on the bag for the crude white bird that he had thought it was. While joanna had been out he had talked to fifi about many things and that was one.

"Yes, she said that they can range from small private plains to large luxury plains. Actually just about everything we know off has a mecha version."

Aaron smiled as she layed out the orange peels and Coco. He was happy that she found delight in those things. Small as they were they were in some opinion worth more than gold.

Kkkkeeeeeeee

Aaron snapped around to look as fifi opened her mouth and pusled with a blue light instead of her usual green.

"Hello" a muffled female voice came reverberating from the depths of Fifi's being. It sounded like who ever was talking was doing so through a phone and a poor one at that.

"Hello, this is katherine. Fifi my fox has told me about you to. Follow her directions and when you get here we will take care of everthing. And dont ask, assassin infiltrating and sabotage is what we do best. "

"Thank you that is it."

Aaron stared at her as she closed her mouth and resummed looking at them.

"Well fifi when you amd joannas ready I guess lead the way." Aaron smiled and patted joanna one the arm in a show of comfort. Everything would be find, hopefully.

Her lips, parsed from thought, turned to clenched teeth. "No, no! It's not that I actually want to die!" Joanna exclaimed. She held her arms out, afraid that Fifi would zap her right then and there. "If your army is as strong as you say it is, then doctor hitmen wouldn't be too much of a problem."

Just as she finished, she noticed that the walls were bathed in blue. Fifi's mouth opened, wider than ever before, making a horrible screeching noise. A foreign voice filled the room, greeting both Joanna and Aaron. Graham's hand searched for the doorknob before Fifi self-destructed.

Luckily, those fears were proven wrong. Joanna settled back into her chair. "So, we're leaving." Her stare was surprisingly blank. The whole idea was still quite ludicrous.

==========

-----0o---o0-----

--\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/--

3455 swung their head from side to side, trying to shake off the spots of water away from their wires. They could feel heat escaping from their sides; but there was no fixing the glass, at least at the moment. A scuffle a day keeps the boredom away, right? Deer were the most fun, as they always charged at the Starling if the light didn't blind them too long.

Like an animal scratching fur, 3455 lifted one of their wheels-turned-legarms to gingerly feel the damage. Half of their six cars had punctured windows, suggesting that they may need to clean out soon to prevent mold from growing on the tiny leather seats.

Before that, though, 3455 needed to find whoever their master was at the moment. Their thoughts turned to the last town. The animate train shivered, recalling how much energy there was in the atmosphere, like things weren't going to wait for an order.

Broken train tracks followed broken train tracks. The Starling's map has grown significantly, but they didn't know how to get home. The lower midwest was all they knew, boxed in by a lack of energy outside the tiny towns. Right now, the lights of... Knoxville- The town formerly known as Knoxville?- gave a warm glow to the early morning. Most flickered off as they approached.

They've been here before. Nothing interesting aside from a station and a bunch of dead bodies.

Aaron stalked to the door and pulled on the handle. It gave with a screech as it rubbed against the floor, sending a shiver up his spin at the noise.

“So, can we just leave. Is it that easy.” He glanced back at fifi wishing that she were a live animal so he could gauge her reaction .

“Well if Katherine said so, then it must be safe to leave.” Holding her head high she walked over to Joanna, and pawed lightly on her leg.

“Could you put me in you bag. I can’t walk around outside the room and I don’t like when Aaron carries me. He bounces to much”

“Hey, that’s not true. Besides she’s never carried you before, she could be worst.” Aaron said in a huff as he turned and pointed a finger at fifi.

“What ever stupid human, I like Joanna more then.”

Huffing and not giving a reply Aaron left out the door, a few seconds later he came back with regular clothes.

“Here, put these on. I’ll wait outside, when your done just step out and we’ll leave.

With that Aaron disappeared out the door and shut it softly behind him.

A few silent moments passed before fifi's high electronic voice broke it.

“Well that was nice. But he……”

“Never mind”

Turning her green gaze back to Joanna she waited till she was done.

“Alright let’s go.” She said from her feet.

((will try to post more often.))

The harsh screech of the door made Graham throw her hands to her ears. Aaron was standing in the doorway, clearly impatient. Light from the better-lit hallway framed his figure.

Fifi's paw hit against Joanna's leg. The human picked up the fox, looking at her apprehensively and turning her from side to side lightly. Joanna realized quickly that she wasn't looking at a mere toy and quickly put Fifi into the bag, keeping the flap open so the fox could peek out.

A small blush rose on Joanna's cheeks. She's been with the mecha for only a few hours unconsecutively, yet Fifi liked her better already.

Joanna ducked before a ball hit her. Rough fabric fell onto her lap. She untangled the plain grey shirt, noticing it was unwrinkled and untorn. It smelled faintly of the wind. The pants were a faded black, with the knees being worn down. Somehow, Aaron had managed to throw in a good pair of socks, without holes.

"How nice!" Joanna agreed, but Aaron was already gone. Thankfully gone, for the moment. She began to take off her sweaty gown, but paused to close the flap of the bag, fumbling to do so. Fifi could still open it from the inside. The fox didn't have any visible camera on her, but could she see? Joanna changed as fast as heavenly possible, keeping an eye on the flap of the bag.

How much did the fox know? Was she always alive? Questions occupied Graham's mind as she slipped the shirt over her head. She turned to pick her bag off the chair, but was met instead with a green gaze.

"Er... Do you..." She didn't finish the sentence, not knowing what to say to a mecha. Monsters of steel don't care much for skin, did they? She's probably seen a lot more. Don't panic, don't worry. Joanna sighed and held the bag's strap loosely. She opened the door, making the same annoying screech, and jogged to catch up with Aaron.

"You wanted to carry her?" She slung the bag on his shoulder, avoiding looking at the bag. Fifi might like Joanna more, but Joanna couldn't trust Fifi yet.

Edited by serce2

Aaron had made it a little ways down the hall, walking at a leisurely pace though he didnt get to far. The soft padding of rushing the only warning he had as a bag was dropped on his shoulder. Joanna had finished changing and now keeped pace with him.

"You wanted to carry her?" Glancing sideways at her he could recall saying he wanted to carry her, kust that he wasn't as bad as she made him out to be. But it didnt bother him all the same who carried the bag.

"Sure, I dont mind. In fact ill try to walk smoother so I don't bounce." Aaron sneered at the bag sarcasm thick in his voice. He hadn't liked the large train thing but fifi was ok. She didnt seem dangerous but her voice was grating. Almost like fingernails on a chalckboard.

"I heard that, you better lean to walk properly or you'll be a hunch back by the time your 30." Fifi piped up from her spot in the bag.

Aaron stopped at the front desk tapping on the counter to get the receptionist attention. She was engrossed in a old book, its cover black, dirty and torn at the corners. She was a older woman with graying red hair and a face a little wrinkled with age.

"Hello, is miss joanna...." Aaron paused, not remembering joannas last name or if she had even told him.

"Well um...is she ok to leave." A moment of silence broken by the turning of pages passed before she looked up from a large journal, most likely a sign in amd records book.

"Hmmmm. Yes she is free to go. Have a good afternoon." Just like that she turned back to her book, dismissing them for something more entertaining.

Glancing with a smile over to joanna Aaron took her hand and pulled her out the front door and into the sun light. It was cold and the sun did little to warm the skin. But he was outside and alive with joanna.

Turning back to joanna he smiled again, excitment bubbling in him. They had just gotten out of there without paying anything. Ha, it was just like she had said.

"So what now." He looked at joanna, not to entirely sure where they were going. Glancing at the bag he nudged its place on his shoulder with his leg.

"Hey, where do we go."

"Katherine is located in Nevada. You will have to provide a mode of transportation though, unless you plan on walking."

Glancing back at joanna Aaron shrugged his shoulders.

"Any ideas?"

Joanna kept her gaze low while Aaron was talking. Don't think about the money, don't think about the money. As she felt the receptionist's gaze tear away from the book onto Joanna, she lifted her head without any smile. Back to the book went the receptionist's eyes, and Joanna inaudibly let out the breath she was holding. The sound of old pages being turned returned.

Pushing her luck, Joanna glanced at the title of the book. Gold letters, no longer shiny from grime, spelled out The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Joanna's eyebrows shot up. The book was most likely a smuggle from Russia. Perfect leverage.

Her hair was brushed back from the wind now creeping inside. She instinctively ran her hand over her hair, attempting to untangle three weeks worth of bedhead. The sun beat down on everything outside, too bright to see anything properly. There was quite a lot of greenery. If it wasn't for the cold, in fact, Joanna could argue that the entire scene looked like summer.

Then, she looked at the road. Potholes everywhere, pigeons huddling on terraces. Yep, still in reality.

Aaron's excitement was almost infectious, but she didn't smile. Graham glanced around, dismayed at the lack of any activity. "There's nothing." She searched the area behind her. "No cars, even if we would risk stealing one." Her hands took out her cellphone, but it was dead. Complementary hospital service did not include spare electricity. Beyond that, she doubted Mrs. Schmitt would bother with arranging a ride for a single employee.

"Don't you... guys... control machines? Can't 'Katherine' just bring one up?"

A powerful light hit Joanna's shoulder, but when she turned she saw nothing.

Edited by serce2

Fifi glanced from her spot in the bag at joanna. Did she really expect for them to send a car, they were human and they made machines not everyday vehicles. The things created by the lindor where stuff meant to help humans.

Not play chauffeur to some humans.

She could see where Joanna was coming from though. If they, the lindor, wanted their help - it would do good to help them in turn. But the thought was what got her them most.

Mecha where not something to be used by humans. They just weren't, not with the humans having knowledge of them. They were there to be controlled by the lindor for the protection of humans. That was all.

Then again this would and could be considered for the protection of these humans. Without a vehicle, they would have to walk. And they where a long ways from there original town and it was cold, even colder at night.

A huff of annoyance escaped Fifi. She would ask Katherine, what was the worst that would happen. She would tell them to walk, but Katherine wasn't cruel, just stern.

“I will ask on your behalf. Give me a few moments.” Hunkering down into the bag she lit up, changing to speak with Katherine.

Aaron pulled the bag around, situating it to get comfortable. A flash caught his attention but by the time he turned to look at the cause it was gone. Memories of a distant horror for them came up, fresh still in his mind.

“So what now, I don't have a car and there's not one around here. Even it I knew how to hot wire one. I'm mean other than walking I don't see a way of getting there other than by foot. And that's if they don't send a car.” Arron turned his attention back to the road and took a couple of hesitant steps forward. He really didn't want to walk and didn't want to start out if a ride was coming, but on the same note he wanted to get a head start if they did have to walk. He was torn, sitting on the edge, restless and ready to do something.

3455 clinged to a house's columns, trying to keep their balance as the column teetered under their weight. They were currently hidden; the sun, less than a quarter up in the sky, cast its shadow on the animate train. If their headlight was to be turned on, it would fall on a duo of humans as well as a tiny fox.

A high pitched sound, which the Starling recognized as the fox's, broke through the otherwise-quiet street. "...located in ... mode of transportation though, unless ..." 3455 leaned as far as they could to the edge of the shadow. Interest sparked their headlight, but they quickly turned it off.

The girl looked hesitant, unwilling to move much. The Starling faintly recognized her face; she was one of their attackers. There was no sign of injury on her, but she could still be in pain, an easy take-down.

The boy on the other hand,- 3455 could recognize him too- they had no opinion on him yet. He seemed scrawny, all talk and no action, but the train knew not to underestimate a human. Currently, he appeared restless; as 3455 watched, he took a few steps forward to their stakeout. Have I been discovered? They curled their upper feet.

As for the spy mecha, she was currently immobile, preoccupied by something. This was 3455's chance to catch them off guard.

The animate train drew themselves up, trying to achieve their original height. Intimidation was the key to coercion. Sunlight hit their right half, while their own lights lit up their left. Those humans are already scared of you. You'll be going home in no time.

One of their leg/wheels twitched, scratching against the concrete. 3455 drew it up instinctively as pain hit them. This was it. The element of surprise had been lost.

Charge headfirst.

---------

"We won't go far by walking. It took over two days by train to get from California to here, and we had to bring our own water and food. Almost ran out, too, because the train broke down half way in the middle of nowhere." Joanna made an attempt to restrain Aaron from going any further, but her hand slipped from his shoulder. The boy was something else. His passion intrigued her, reminded her of their differences.

A harsh scraping refocused her attention beyond his shoulder. A huge beast slinked into the light, slowly at first and then all of a sudden much quicker.

It.

Joanna couldn't move her hands, arms, anything but her lungs as the beast bore down on the group. She could hear those wheels building speed, the hiss of an internal flame. Before long, she realized she was on her knees.

"Tell me where Fazlur Manko is." It- he, from the voice- hissed at the group. His singular eye was focused on Fifi, and as Joanna watched claws closed around the toy fox.

The train beast repeated his command, but it came out in a hoarse whisper. As he talked, electricity crackled around exposed wires. A light in one of his cars went out.

Somehow, his injuries made him look more demonic. The clicking of a broken wheel repeated like a broken record, making time appear to repeat itself.

"H-help." Joanna pleaded to Aaron.

"We won't go far by walking. It took over two days by train to get from California to here, and we had to bring our own water and food. Almost ran out, too, because the train broke down halfway in the middle of nowhere." Aaron turned to look at joanna, who seemed a little hesitant to start walking with him. And he didn't really blame her, but he was feeling antsy and if they couldn't get a ride they had to get there somehow.

“Yes but how do you suppose we get there then if Fifi doesn't get us any help.” Wringing his hands in a fidgeting kind of manner he shrugged, the feeling of her hand falling off his shoulder giving a shuddering feeling of lose.

A metallic grinding, screaming, like squealing like noise came from behind him. His hair rose, standing on end as he watched Joanna freeze before falling. Whatever held her gaze behind him was terrifying, he could see it in Joanna's eyes.

He was pulled back by the bag that currently held Fifi, the force sending him to the ground as the bag slipped away. Staring up at the large creature above him he tensed again, having thought this horror long gone.

It hissed, guttural and deep as it talked to fifi, sound almost as if it spoke another language.

“H-help” Joanna's voice not far away was a light, a lifeline as he scrambled up and away to her side. The noise and sparks coming from it had Aaron pulling Joanna to her feet and away from the monstrosity.

“I don't know, I don't know who you're talking about. Let me go!” Fifi struggled in his grasp stilling when a squeeze became too much. A few pops and snaps sounded from her as she stared at him with mechanical eyes.

“Trying to dismember me will not get you the help you want.” Fifis voice faded In and out, like someone was messing with the speaker volume in her. All the while her cold gaze held the train.

“PUT.ME. DOWN”! She screamed loudly. Aaron jumped slightly at the almost perfect sentences before she quieted again. What was going to happen, what were they going to do?

The fox inanimate's voice grew louder and softer erratically in the train's claw. They loosened their tightening grip slightly; they could not risk losing precious information. 3455 gave the fox a long look, filled with quiet hissing, then upended their claw. They were sure she would survive the fall.

"Who is your creator, toy?" The train spit out the latter word as an insult. "I'm sure they might know Manko." Their own speech began to distort, though on a much smaller level than the fox's. Electric cabling screamed at them that continuing to speak would break something.

A sharp pain, a reopened wound on their side caused them to emit a muffled yelp.

----

Joanna might've been the first to recover fully. Maybe not so much recovery, but an instinctive reflex that made her grab Aaron's bag off of his shoulder and bat at the exposed wires on the monster's side. A shock ran through her, but what threw her to the ground was the cry. Instantly she could see four balled fists facing her, her nightmare having twisted around like a snake. She rolled away as quickly as possible. Three punches pounded the ground beside her, sending asphalt in her face; one of the arms was locked up, saving her life.

Her bag- or, more accurately, Aaron's bag- was flattened instantly when she pulled it away. Cocoa powder fell loosely out of the new hole in the bag, but other than that, the bag itself wasn't irrevocably irreparable. Thank goodness I don't have THAT debt to pay.

Fifi stared soullessly at the large round light that served as a eye, pieces of wires stuck out of his body other areas open from cracks or just plain pieces of metal missing. If Fifi had been human she may have been scared, but the wasn't and for now Katherine had only learned how to put one or two emotions into a machine. And those where shallow at best.

The tight claws holding her loosened then turn over. Fifi feel ungraciously to the ground in a small heap. "Who is your creator, toy?". Shaking herself slightly and running eyes over her small form she finally looked back up when she assessed no permanent damage was done. “ My maker is Katherine Harlin.” gazing around as if uninterested in the machine in front of her she tilted to look back at him a moment later. "I'm sure they might know Manko."

was he stupid, no he's a machine like me. We're programed to be smart. “I wouldn't know, but we are heading to her. Why don't you come along?” The words had just left her mouth when he gave a muffled yelp. Following his train of sight, hers landed on joanna. oh what is this stupid human doing.

---

Aaron had watched the entire display, and at first he thought that things might be looking up. Even though he had dropped Fifi, the machine was no longer squeezing her to death and it wasn't attacking. That was until Joanna yanked the bag off his shoulder.

Aaron could only watch dumbfounded as she reared back and swung the bag at some exposed wires on it side. Then it focus was on her and his bag was being smashed into the ground.

Running to Joanna who had rolled out of the way he pulled her up, “what are you doing, do you want to die.” He searched her face with wide eyes before turning back to the monster machine. “ Wowowo, big machine train thing. Let me apologize for her. I'm sorry” Aaron held his hand out in a non threatening manner and backed up a little to give it room.

“Please don't kill us, as fifi said you can always come with us. If Katherine doesn't know this”Aaron waved his hand in the air while searching for the name,” manko, then surely there are other lindor around there who do.” Thinking about it he was fairly certain that played right they could get out of this alive and with a ride. Glancing back to joanna he smiled and gave a small wink, “please don't kill us until after we have befriend the giant train.”

Joanna blinked twice at Aaron. Apologize to the train demon? "No. This thing charged at us, I'm sure he'll decapitate you as soon as he get what he wants." There was a stillness in her voice, and although memories of That Night swirled to the forefront of her mind, she drew determination instead of fear from them. The bag, though flattened, could still be used effectively, but she threw it aside. It wasn't hers, and besides, fists in the right spot could do so much more.

"He killed my co-workers! Without even a single apology!" Turning her body to face Aaron and point at the beast was a mistake, but one luckily unfulfilled. She braced her legs and raised another fist to pound the train's side once more.

A yell, then a muffled clang. Instead of the electrical shock she expected, her hand hit something solid. The train had easily blocked her shot with an outstretched hand. This didn't deter her; she pulled her hand away and tried again, but laughter stopped her dead in her tracks.

-------------

It was easy enough to block the girl's predictable attack. Once she lost the element of surprise, 3455 moved perfectly to get out of her way. They had faced harder opponents- granted, not as heavily damaged as they are now, but also not with such a pathetic opposition.

Perhaps she was no competent fighter, but she was far more amusing than the boy and fox. If there was anything worse than those insults to the great skyscrapers, those toys, then it would be pacifists. Not it's-mutually-beneficial-that-we-don't-attack-each-other pacifists, though 3455 didn't hold them in highest regard either, but the I'm-going-to-try-being-your-friend-even-though-you-almost-killed-my-friend pacifists. The human boy's naivete put him on the same level as the fox toy. Humans just tended to be like that.

Except for the girl.

They laughed, sounding completely normal with no distortion from their injuries. The clip was one of their pre-recorded messages, stored in the central computer. According to their creator, it was their third conductor's laugh.

And the girl reminded them so much of that third conductor. She was different and different is good when all you've had is some coal dust and scarce drops of oil after trudging around on the open prairies. She had a spirit in her, bravery, everything at once.

If there was one human who could find the Manko family, then the Starling would place their bets on her. "If the Lindor are completely useless now, then humans could be somewhat useful. Oh-ho-ho, what's next, flying ships?"

The thought of that sobered them up. Right. Find Manko, tell him what they saw. What those wretched humans are doing with the inanimate. "I have little time to spare for pleasantries. I am 3455, the Starling. I have important news for my Lindor creators. If you could lead me to the nearest camp, then I will be in your debt. Perhaps not killing you sounds good?"

Edited by serce2

Fifi watched the whole exchange. There wasn't​ much she could do being so small, she was also partly sure that her mechanics were vastly different from the 3455 starling. So giving him a computer based virus wasn't possible and she definitely wasn't big enough to hurt him in any way. She would have to ask Katherine if she had anything that she could us as self defense for next time he goes crazy. She didn't much like being squeezed.

When it laughed, a joyous sound, fifis head cocked to the side. “ Well, now that that is settled. Let me get ahold of Katherine again about a ride.” making her was slowly to Aaron she sat at his feet. Again her light changer to signal she was busy. But this time getting a ride wasn't all the information she had to give. The Starling was another major thing that Katherine needed to know about.

---

Aaron wrapped his arms around Joanna's waist and pulled her away from the train when she insisted on attacking it. Was she stupid, this thing was like 4 times bigger than her. It could easily kill her, sending her to join her dead friends. “Hey, stop. You're going to get us killed.”

When the train laughed and infor.ed us of that it would be traveling with them, Aaron almost smiled. Maybe he could take it into being there mode of transportation. Turning to give it his full attention he smiled. It was odd giving a known killer a fake pleasant smile, but it was needed.

“Well mister 3455 starling, I am Aaron, this is Joanna and the fox is Fifi.” Aaron finished up his introductions before a troubled look passed his face. “But we have a small problem, you see, we would love to take you with us but we are currently without a ride. And From my understanding and what Fifi has told me, their camp is a few States away so we will not be there anytime soon.” Aaron gained a slight hopeful look as he glanced at Joanna, “unless, you know, a large vehicle of some kind gave us a lift.”

Had the world gone mad? Joanna checked her head. No fever, so why was the train that put her in the hospital just standing there, laughing, and why was Aaron so quick to please? Even Fifi seemed in no rush to denounce 3455 as a demon and mass-murderer. As arms snaked around her waist, however, Graham let out a sigh and let herself be pulled back. The adrenaline flooded out of her. She felt her legs give way beneath her, almost falling if she hadn't leaned into Aaron.

"You're saying we accept a ride from him?" She still had the feeling of fight in her, though heavily subdued. The Starling's shadow fell on her. He looked relatively at ease, with folded arms and a smirk on the equivalent of his face. She would get even with him eventually, but Joanna had to concede Aaron a point; make 3455 carry them across the prairie.

"Fine. But we'll need water and food, and lots of it. It'll at least take half a day to cross state lines."

----

They wanted no extra fanfare. No more waiting. The Starling impatiently tapped one of their many feet on the road's pavement- not a good idea if they didn't want to wake the Streethydra. They were tired of the dull houses and the open fields. I'll have to see if I can convince some Lindor to give me the path to New York. They knew that they had a job to do, but honestly, they wanted to go home.

The doors hissed open on their sides with merely a flicker. Pain shot up from their clawed-out cars, but by now 3455 was used to it. "Get in, just not in the damaged ones." Their legs bent, making their machinery touch the ground.

"You. Toy. Fifi. Tell me how to get there and I'll take you all there."

Fifi watched as Aaron struggled a little to hold up and help move Joanna to a car that wasn't currently burnt, dinged, or had exposed wires or exposed to the elements. Her on the other hand, she eyes the starling, “I think I will travel up near you.”

Walking back up to his front she looked up to him, glass eyes locking onto his hands. She was expectant, if he wanted directions then he would have to accommodate to her wishes. “I will ride on your shoulder or something.”

Looking back to the road she ran a old map through her little mechanic head. The easiest route was long, a slightly shorter route appeared to have some detours. “ I think it best to take the long way, you can start down that road.” Fifi pointed with her nose as her paw scraped the ground.

---

Aaron helped Joanna back to a back car, one that didn't look to damaged. What had he done besides kill a bunch of people that would leave him looking like this. Did he pick a fight with the military?

“Hey Joanna, you ok?” Aaron turned his attention back to her as he helped her into a cart. Setting her down he took a seat himself. “ I know you're not happy about having to travel with him, but ….we need him to get to the lindor. What they do with him after that is there business.” He could understand Joanna's anger and frustration, but he was also thinking in the long run. They would never make it on foot and who knows how long they would have had to wait for a ride.

((It's time. The posting order is Acornia-Serce-Thael, and please try to keep to it.))

They hated the suggestion of her riding on their shoulders. A potentially dislocated joint? A surprise attack on their blind spot? No, thank you. Imagine, too, the dishonor of being caught giving her the spot normally reserved for their skyscraper-men. Hatred pooled up in their burning fires, much heavier than the previous indifference. 3455, surprisingly, did not toss Fifi over their shoulder unceremoniously when they picked her up, but rather placed her on their upper shoulder. Some things were worth more than morals.

The Starling swung their head toward Fifi's pointing. According to their calculations, with the sun being at a 11:36 am angle, they were going to head west. A few towns lay scattered according to their mental map, all rural or lightly industrial. Nothing special to note, though the latter would serve as refueling stations. All in all, a long, exhausting trip.

Metal feet folded back on themselves and pressed against the Starling's underside, to be replaced with their more practical wheels. Their two frontmost legs stayed as they were, though bent slightly to avoid dragging against the ground. They needed efficiency, and efficiency is what they're gonna get.

Rushing wind pressed 3455's long head down, closer to their body. They complied, letting themselves gain more and more speed. Behind them, the road tore slightly, but they had no time to heed the hissing that escaped from the cracks. Not their problem.

------

There was no squeak of protest when Joanna was led into the car. All windows were intact, though the back door had been set off its hinges, draining any possible warmth. She or Aaron could probably fix it, but it would just open again over and over every time she thought she would get a moment's rest from the chill.

She stumbled her way to the front corner, gripping the other seats for support. A sigh came out of her as she slumped into a row, using all three seats to lay down. "I'm alright, just tired. Maybe I left the hospital too early?"

As 3455 kicked into motion, Joanna leaned her head against the walls. At first, she felt nothing out of the ordinary. There was absolutely no difference in how the animate train moved in comparison to her memories. Everything, from the timing to the wheels to the subtle rocking. It struck her, then, the sheer realization of the day's events. "Wow. He's actually a train. No demon from hell, just a living machine." Have all the other trains been alive all this time?

Edited by serce2

Rain. In most stories, it is the very epitome of sadness, emphasizing depression, loss, guilt, and remorse. Rain never stops. Rain pours from on high, like the tears of heaven.

It had rained that night, the night he had gripped the hilt of his sword.

"Elder, I take this weapon now, in defense of our people, to protect the lives and secrecy of our clan of Strength and Might, in the name of Al'Mudan."....

What a joke.

What sort of protector could have saved this? The rain drenched blood-soaked earth, where metal and man lay in heaps upon the ground, the liquids merging with the tears dripping from his face. They had told him once he was too old to cry when he had turned seventeen.

But the tears would not stop.

"Remember, child, the machines are not ours to control. They live with us. Coexist with us. They are as part of nature as we are. You must respect that, or it will consume you."

A glass eye lay in the mud and grime near him, torn from the skull of a metal beast that he could no longer recognize. Two of his fallen brothers lay near the corpse, their swords near their hands, searching for masters. One still lived. The other's life was nearing its end.

After all, once their master died, they knew they were to join them in the next life. Its cries of sadness filled the man's ears. A metallic song of despair and agony.

"They, like all life, should be respected. It is when that respect is shattered that war begins. When one side no longer respects the other, it is in our nature, the nature of life, to retaliate. We are ready for that day."

Were we truly ready?

The man tried to push himself to his feet, but he slipped in the muck and grime and fell into it, smelling the copper in the air around him.

Maybe this is how he should be left to die. The elder told him to run. And he had ran. But when he had sensed the silence, he had returned...

Only to see this. The ruins of his people. The ruins of his former life. And not one thing still lived here, saved the dying swords and weapons of his people.

Even the elders lay among the fallen, their own blades driven through them - an act of defiance against the robots who would try to take their secrets. They had taken their own lives.

The man looked down at his own sword, and for a long moment, he deliberated over if he should have joined them in that act. Let the clan die with him. Let the family line fall with him.

But his blade felt his thoughts, and the sword refused to allow him a firm grip upon it.

"....You won't allow your master to die, will you? Not without a fight?" the man asked, turning back to the wastes.

But here, now, it felt as though all hope was lost. For a moment, he refused to move. But that's when he heard the howling. The echoes through the trees, which silenced the crying of the swords. It was a dark, bass sound, like screws and gears struggling to make the noises of the living.

It sounded like wolves. Wolves that had found food. Was there a survivor?!

The man threw out his sword, the blade obeying what he told it without question. He didn't even need to grip it - the sword had a mind of its own. It floated near him, alighting with electricity enough to slash through the metal he would have to carve. They were now as one.

No more depression. No more hopelessness.

There was life to save.

"This unit finds that story hard to believe, human."

The lupine creature flicked its tail back and forth, a serrated blade rotating at the end, easily able of cutting through human flesh if the chance was given.

The man from before bared his sword, waiting for the slightest motion of aggression. The two were at a stalemate. Between them was a young girl, curling her robes around her, uncertain. She gazed at the man with fear.

"You ran like a coward from a conflict." the wolf continued, moving forward a single paw in the earth. "And yet you run to danger now? Why?"

"I will not run again." the man grimaced, the sword reflecting his emotions by moving slightly in the air. "Not if it means more lives will be lost."

"And if that life is yours?"

"You'd be doing me a favor. But I won't give it to you lightly." the man chuckled uneasily.

"....Calculating." the wolf muttered, its processor whirring. There was a long pause of silence, a tension growing in the air. Its metal pieces clicked slightly.

"......Icon, your input?" the wolf asked, giving her a glance. "It is entirely up to you if you trust this being considering his current threat level of 31.57% against me."

"Oh come on. You can't give me a higher one?"

"I sense some truth in your statement and your pose is a defensive one. You have no intention of murdering without cause. However, you are still strange and much about you is unknown." the wolf claimed, pacing slightly. "And, you slew seven of my own kind around me in order to defend the Icon. That gives you some trust. But you could have been the very same to tell them of my location. Our location."

He had a point, the man had to admit. They were in the middle of nowhere. How else could they be tracked? Did the humans have things like that? And why would they want to kill this girl?

"I.... I believe him." the girl whispered, moving to stand to her full height. "I... I believe in his story."

The wolf stared at her for a moment, then his tail began to descend. He sat upon his haunches.

"Well that is settled then."

"THAT easy?" the man asked, concerned.

"If the Icon says that you are safe, then you are safe. Nothing further. I cannot attack without her orders, after all." the creature shrugged slightly with its two front legs. "I believe introductions are in order. I am 5A-V10R. You may call me 5A."

"He also responds to Sal." the girl quickly amended.

"Only to the Icon." 5A replied.

"....I'm.... I'm Nelefis." the man said. But he stopped himself before going any further.

The girl took a moment, then nodded.

"Nice to meet you, Nel. I'm Eon." she said quietly.

"Eon?"

"She does not remember anything before three days ago." 5A responded. "Do not pose further queries. You will receive no further information."

"Then do you know anything else?" Nel asked.

"I do."

"Will you tell me?"

"I can not." 5A stated. "Nor would I wish to, considering your status as a friendly unknown. Giving you further information serves no purpose. All you need to know is that you are now part of this group and you will be assisting in further protection of the Icon. You know our location. We cannot let you go."

"....What?" Nel said, lost.

"That being said, we also do not know our way around this area nor where we are. You will also help us with that. You seem to know a general lay of the land considering this is where you were raised, correct?" 5A scratched his robot back. Nel didn't know the purpose of this motion.

"Wait.. no. Don't you get it? Everything's been destroyed! The only thing left near here are the human cities! My entire clan has been wiped out!" Nel argued, his sword at his side. "I can't help you, and I don't really want to if you're going to treat me like I can be thrown around like that!"

"That's a shame. You have no choice in the matter." 5A's tail rose slightly. "Besides, what sort of clan is yours, if they would leave a young, helpless girl to the wastes with only an animal to protect her?"

"...I think you're more than just a wolf. You... kinda destroyed six of your own kind."

"Inferior models." 5A said flatly. Nel noticed that not once had the wolf opened his mouth. What sort of teeth or jaws did this thing have?

"You see.... Nel.... You are witnessing someone very important. The protection of the Icon means more than you know." the wolf went on, flicking his tail back and forth in time with his words. "You said that some of your clan members had been kidnapped. Once they are safe, you would be able to help us, correct?"

"....Yes."

"Then we shall accompany you to do so. Once they are liberated, you will then assist us. The deal is struck. This is how organisms do this, if I recall. You... scratch my back, I scratch yours?" the wolf asked, holding up a serrated front claw.

"Don't touch my back."

"Understood."

Eon moved to look at Nelefis and began to examine him. She poked his arms. She touched his hair. She looked at his sword. He gave her very awkward looks.

"Yes, ma'am?"

"You are another Lindor!" she gasped, putting her hands together. "5A said not many of us... walk openly."

"...We normally don't." Nel admitted. "...And I never would have. We had many rules... not to leave the forest. But the forest has been burned. There are only ashes and death."

"...I am sorry."

Nel was silent for a long moment. The images of the bodies were still branded in his memory. He put a hand on his forehead, sighing.

"But some still live. And they would want me to help someone in need. That's what we trained for. What our weapons were for." Nel looked at his sword for a long while, appraising it, though he had seen it many times. "So. Yes."

"Yes, what?" 5A asked.

"You may join me for this venture, but I must save them alone. Then, I will help you." Nel said firmly.

"You do not require my help?" the wolf cocked its head.

"If I do, I will call for you. But my people believe in strength of self." Nel said, "So..."

There was a sound from nearby. A rattling. The sound of wheels rolling against ground that normally didn't roll on ground.

The earth shook beneath their feet, and 5A immediately swung his tail into action, giving Nel a glance.

"Did your people use large Machinengeists?!" it questioned, concerned.

"No! We were a secretive people!" Nel swore, equally afraid. Eon clung to him as the shaking grew louder.

From nearby, a large train came into view, but something seemed... off. Something hit Nel, but Eon said it first.

"That's a Machinengeist! Like you said, 5A!" she said, the first loud thing she had said at all. Nel gave her a look, but 5A was already off like a shot, dashing towards the train.

It gained ground, leaping between buildings, before finally running alongside the train. It gained momentum on electrical legs, reaching extreme speeds.

It was at the front car now, its legs running incredibly fast.

"YOU! OTHER MACHINENGEIST! SLOW yourself! We require assistance!" 5A called, his tone energetic. "Surely you can give us the directions we need!"

Fifi stepped up onto 3455 shoulder next to his head. He must not have liked that idea though as it too his a few moments to apply. Once she was up the took off and they were moving fast. Other than his front car and the damage Fifi would have thought he was a regular train. Most machines like him looked like regular trains but whoever made him did a exceptional job.

“How did you lose you creater​, don't you have a wireless connection to them?” Fifi hunkered down close to his head, if she fell off specially at these speeds, she would probably broke. Speaking of broken she didn't remember the starling being this damaged​ the last time she had seen him. “And what happened to you? Last time me meet you were in pretty good condition, this time it looks like you got into a fight with something?”

"YOU! OTHER MACHINENGEIST! SLOW yourself! We require assistance! Surely you can give us the directions we need!". Hearing the happiest tone she had heard in awhile, over the dull roar of the wind she looked out the other side of his head. “Oh look, more people and machinengeist.” Where were they all coming from recently, she would have been lucky to see one in 6 months. She had already met two in what 3? Sighing in her little mechanical voice she hunkered down again. “Stop if you want to.”

---

Aaron took a seat opposite Joanna on the plush seat. "Wow. He's actually a train. No demon from hell, just a living machine." Aaron glanced up at Joanna a little wide eyed after the days events. “Well yeah, but you know, with Fifi looking like a toy fox and the starling being a train. It makes you wonder what else he had been in and had the was not really what we thought it was.” Leaning back he fiddled with his hands as he looked out the window. The somewhat silent interior of the train was a little soothing after everything. Honestly he hadn't expected the train to comply, specially after Joanna attacked it, like twice. But he wouldn't look a gifted horse in the mouth, he was just thankful for the ride.

Fifi's whisper broke the train's concentration on the road. The Starling could feel her paws on their head, an unwelcome pressure so close to their eye. Tiny claws gripped places where their paint was weakening and rusting, making the animate train wince at the thought of repair. At the very least, a quick twitch could have Fifi fall down into 3455's outstretched jaws and the deep fire.

"In my glory days, we had no such thing as 'wireless'." 3455 grumbled. "Radio waves were in." They had previously swung their dials and sniffed the air for any signs of chatter, to be met with silence. Some decree about banning certain communication devices. Stupid, if you asked them. No longer could they ride a particularly strong wave to a sparkling city.

At the fox's insistence on their injuries, the Starling fell silent. Such was a matter for Fazlur Manko to know. Not an overly-curious toy. As long as their wheels still serviced them, they had no need of confessing all they knew.

There was a sudden shout, not from the passengers or Fifi, but next to them. "More machines?" They swiveled their head at the new presence besides them. It was a mechanical wolf, matching 3455's speed. Impressive. They thought, putting more fuel into their back wheels. Residential road turned to unused high-way, with the Starling's wheels gouging out long strips every time they hit a pothole. This was the place to lose their new shadow.

On one hand, they really didn't want to waste more time (and hard-won fuel!). On the other hand, the train's length meant that the mecha-wolf could simply leap on and potentially exacerbate 3455's injuries. Unluckily for the train, they had no choice in the matter. A highway ramp leading their way was ahead, and with more than half of the supports gone, they really didn't want to test the sensitivity of the road. A quick message to their passengers flitted past their wires. "This is your train speaking. Hold on to your seats, we're going to make a harsh brake."

Wheels turned to legs, heating up the road in a flurry of sparks. Polished feet gripped the roadway and rocked 3455 back into place. When the abrupt transition ended, steam hissed out of every orifice. A flood-light eye illuminated the mecha wolf. "Alright. What do you need now?"

--------------

Joanna fell out onto the floor of the train, barely gripping the seats. She was definitely awake now. 3455 had stopped moving for some reason, shouting. Did he have some new problem with Fifi? She scrambled to a window. Nothing in an empty river of asphalt. She glanced at the other window, sun glaring straight into her eyes. On this side, a far more interesting picture played out.

"What happened? Another fight?"

5A simply sat on his haunches as the train stopped, undaunted. He knew at least, by using his environmental scanner, that most areas around here were too unstable to handle the weight of the train. He was still sitting there as it slid to a full halt. He flicked his tail around, the rotary sawblade seeming safe in its inactivity.

"Diagnostics indicate you have sustained considerable damage. Assumption: You are seeking a form of repair." 5A mulled, binary flicking across his visor. "I would inquire as to how you received such injuries but our current predicament offers little time for small-talk."

He paced for a moment, then sat back down, uncomfortable.

"I wish to beseech you for a ride to a nearby settlement. Preferably Lindor, as my current entourage consists of two of them. I will be honest and tell you that with the roads as unsafe as they are, and the humans in such disarray, not many vehicles survive which can handle the harshness of this world. You, however, are an exception."

He cocked his head, his voice eager.

"We must seek the Tower. That is all I can tell you. But considering your current direction north, our paths intertwine. Should you seek assistance in return, I am certain we can help with your repairs. I am equipped, after all, with several tools on my tail used for self repairs and welding."

To demonstrate, he flicked his tail. It quickly swapped, the blades flipping outward and down to reveal that the tip of the tail contained an energized welder. A wrench and a few other useful tools became also apparent.

"But I suppose it would be difficult to trust-"

"5A!"

A female voice rang out across the broken concrete. 5A-V10R turned slightly, stretching as Eon and Nelefis ran up to him. Eon was on Nel's back, unable to run well. He took a few breaths as he halted, regaining his composure. His sword hovered near him, prepared for action.

"You caught up far more quickly than anticipated. You still do not cease to amaze, Lindor Nel." 5A commented, a smirk sensed from his voice. "You came at the perfect time."

He pointed with his tail at the Starling, sniffing a paw.

"Surely you can assist in the repairs of this wounded machine, correct?" he asked, head cocked. "After all, you did build your sword yourself."

"That was a blade." Nel added, allowing Eon to stand on her own again. "But I do know a few things about constructs."

"Very good. Then do we have a deal?" 5A asked, turning back to the train. "Our assistance with your repairs for a ride north. You can drop us off as far as you wish. We just need to gain distance."

((Fifi and Aaron are now NPCs, feel free to use em if you need em.))

3455 pulled themselves upright, bracing their arms. The wolf was something they haven't seen before, small and dangerous. They could not win with some of their legs unable to twist and punch; the wolf would simply cut through their cars one by one. Two Lindor joined the mecha-wolf, one with a hovering sword. Normally, they wouldn't be scared of a sword, but while nothing could cut through their steel skin, a scissor could snap their wires. A clear loss stretched in front of them, though the Starling hated to bow down to an enemy.

"I don't need repairs, not yet. And I already am going somewhere. Unless you know where Fazlur Manko is, get lost."

The fox on their head cut through before the harsh words hit the wolf. "3455, this is not about what you want anymore. I want them to go with us, and if you don't comply I will give you the wrong directions and get you lost in the wilderness. We're heading north-east, they're heading north." Fifi hopped down from her perch, making sure to hit the injured shoulder on the way down. She grew rigid and clicked her tiny paws together in a make-shift salute. "My name is Fifi, this is 3455, our two passengers-" She glanced to a window on the second car, "-are Aaron Calvner and Joanna. Humans, yes, but not a problem."

Her glow turned a deep blue for a second. Fifi, everything alright? Katherine was awake and at the controls once again.

Yes, I've found backup in case the train runs wild. Two Lindor, one mecha-wolf. They mention something called the Tower.

There was no response from Katherine for a few seconds. Katherine, do you read me?

Copy. A tower? Are you able to press them for more details?

They said they wouldn't say anything else, but I'll try. Fifi slowly turned her attention back into the real world.

Oh, and Fifi? I've found records for a Lindor named Fazlur Manko, but his last location was reported three years ago. Chicago. Nothing since.

The glow faded back to an emerald green. She wasn't sure if she missed anything important, though 3455 snarled harsher toward the group. "Listen up, everyone. We're going to a Lindor settlement to meet my maker. 3455, I've found where Manko is, but I'll only tell you if you keep on your best behavior. I don't know of any towers nearby, but I can ask an architect Lindor."

3455 opened their doors, steam taking the opportunity to hiss out. They did not lower themselves at all for this new group. No incentive, no respect. "Get on. We need to move."

Edited by serce2

Humans?

Nelefis seemed wary. But this was for good reason. His elders had once told him a story of the avarice of humanity, their desire, their craving, their insatiable demand for more things. More land. More water. More life. More. More. Neverending.

"They do not know when they have enough - unlike us, who are content with but this small fragment of land within these woods, buried away." El'Dulas had said, taking a sip of his tea. "But they are not evil."

"Isn't taking things from others wrong?" Nelefis asked as he sat at the table with the elders. His father gave him a swift stare. To speak out of turn was taboo.

The elder had given him a long glance, and then smiled.

"Humans somehow have come to such desire that they are willing to accept paper and coin for things they can do and product they can provide." El'Dulas had replied, almost impressed. "They commit to a process known as bartering. They don't understand helping for the betterment of a group. Or perhaps they do, but not enough of them accept it as truth to change the way things are already done. They are a strange people. But I suppose to them, our ways are also strange."

His own sword hovered near him, quiet, an extension of himself. It was an aged blade, as old as its user, who had outlived several human leaders and knew much of the past.

"They know not how to bring their machines to life. They merely direct them in a mocking gesture of our own ways. They use mindless abominations of machines. And that is why they have yet to understand." El'Dulas had whispered, taking another drink. "So I have one question for you, young Nelefis. One that you may not answer until years from now."

"...Yes?"

Is there anything in this world you want so badly, so strongly, that you would do anything to preserve it, or to have it for your own?"

Nelefis had stared at those around him, then beamed for a long moment.

"This sense of peace." he said. "This sense of belonging."

"...You are a child far older than your appearance belies, Nelefis." El'Dulas had said, proud. "Continue to follow that path. That is the true goal of our people."

Eon didn't seem as troubled as he did. She lifted up her robes and stepped onto the cart two cars down from the front of the Starling. 5A joined her, leaping into the seat without any hesitation.

"Are you coming, Nel?" Eon asked, concerned.

There was a moment of silence. Though Nel knew in his heart this was the right choice, he turned back for a long while, to stare at the direction from whence he came.

He had never left the forest before, not even for a moment. But now he was entering a new world. One his elders had warned him of. One filled with nothing but lust, and desire. One broken by its own people. Machines made for war. Machines made to destroy. The sounds and echoes of electricity and magnetism filled his ears from below the broken streets and from the destroyed buildings.

This waste of a landscape just reminded him of what humanity was capable of. They built, they created, and when they were done, they abandoned their creations or blew them up. What purpose did that serve? What a maddening cycle.

The swords of his people lay in mud and dirt where they had died. There was no life in a blade without a master.

But two swords adorned Nelefis' back, wrapped in a cloth and tied together, to never again be opened until his people were made whole again.

One, of El'Dulas, the great elder who had taught him of everything he knew, of every sword skill he used, of everything he could have learned. Math. Engineering. The very basics of Lindor to the advanced.

But the other was that of his own brother, one of the two he had come to love, his older brother. As his family was dear to him, to find his brother's sword had almost driven him to horrific grief. But he had come to terms that he had been able to find only his sword. And life still ebbed from it, albeit weakly. And he hadn't found the swords of the rest of his family. This filled him with hope.

He bowed in the direction of his village, and then grabbed a rail to hoist himself onto the train. There would be no turning back now.

As he sat down, a warmth fell into his lap. He looked down, spotting Eon's head laying upon him like a pillow. Her robes fell around her as a blanket. Her body heaved slightly with even breaths.

He at first was shocked, but the understanding filled him. She and 5A had been running for so long.

"She had been unable to sleep much, even with me around her." 5A said suddenly, breaking the silence. "Yet, now she sleeps as a child, and in the lap of a stranger no less. I will not understand the emotions of living beings but the logical answer is that you make her feel safe."

"B...But why? I'm not even certain in this situation.." Nel whispered, placing a hand on her shoulder. It felt almost sinful to even touch her. For some reason, it was as though she could break at the slightest touch.

As he gazed at her robes, he could see the brownish stains of blood. Just what had this girl been put through? And why?

"Yes, but you exude a certain solidity, a self-confidence, which seems to soothe her troubled spirit." 5A said, curling into a ball quite like an actual dog. "Is it perhaps because you are another Lindor? Or something.. further?"

"...I... That's impossible. I barely know her." Nel muttered.

"Perhaps. But the heart of a young maiden is notoriously strange. I will only assume for now that it is because she finds a connection with you as you are also a Lindor. She has not seen any other of her kind in a long time. I can tell you that."

"What else can you tell me about her?" Nel asked, hopeful.

"....Only this. That she was the one who told me never to speak of her past - even to her." 5A admitted flatly, after a moment of calculation. "And I shall follow this directive, just as my previous one - of the Tower."

"Then what happens after she reaches the Tower? Will you have fulfilled your directive? Will you abandon her?" Nel asked, concerned.

"You seem to think me heartless because of my robotic exterior." 5A seemed confused.

"No, I'm just curious. Why would you - a dangerously combat-adept Machinengeist - be linked to her?... Why does she need such protection?"

"Too many questions." 5A yawned. "I must recharge myself. If you wish to speak more, can we not do it later?"

"....Fine." Nel replied, leaning his head back in his chair. He felt far too on edge to sleep, but if they felt safe...