Lothuialel

The Beginning of the End

Mystic landed down on the land near Festival, but first did not notice him, however he did hear his voice and quickly looked down to his left and saw Festival there. "Nothing at the moment. I will be checking in with Lou about it in a bit. Want to come?" He asked Festival. "And you don't have to call me Sir, just call me Mystic, ok?" Edited by draco8967

Akita shrieked in horror as she nearly trampled Lou. She could hear the Tinsel's noises of shock. Even now, the tiny dragon had rolled away from her. Unsure if she could spot a glimmer of gold against the floor of the cave before it was too late, she stayed where she was, riddled with guilt and embarrassment.

"I'm so sorry!" She wailed. "I never know what or who will be just outside the vines every day, you all move so fast and are hard to see sometimes. I'm really, really sorry."

She couldn't believe that she had just come close to crushing their leader.

Edited by igloo9201

Bamble looked up as she heard a screech. Was someone in danger!? Scrambling out of her spot, Bramble clumsily made her way to the spot where she saw a wyvern of some sort standing still. Oh dear, did she make a mistake? She held still, looking at the wyvern, wondering what was wrong. She was afraid to speak and mess up her wording.

user posted image

The tiny tinsel looked up at the large wyvern. She sighed and thought about how scared she herself had been and realized that the bigger dragon must have been frightened of her too. "It's alright. Please don't fret. Next time I'll try to not skitter in front of openings like that." The bronze tinsel climbed up on the bigger dragon to make it easier for her to see Lou. "Your name, miss?" It was then that the little dragon noticed the apprentice who was out in the cave center looking worried. Lou smiled kindly hoping that it would reassure the other little girl.

user posted image

The yulebuck nodded his head. "Yes, sir-I mean Mystic." he perked up upon hearing the invitation to follow the senior scout. "Boy oh boy! Would I ever!" Festival hopped to his paws and wagged his tail in eagerness to meet the leader and to hear about a mission.

Shkut-shkut.

A beam of early morning sunlight broached the windowsill, falling upon the exposed shards of a myriad of geodes set in four-pronged stands and illuminating them. Iga tapped the sheaf of papers against his desk, careful to keep them close to the edge as to not disturb his displays. He was frowning.

"What a bunch of bunk. I tested my samples at least ten times...no-name, rot-finned, sewer-swimming lot of infidels. Pah."

He took out a set of clips from a cabinet nearby and gathered the pages again. He clipped them together, making sure they were secure--no one else was going to appreciate it, so who cared--and took for a light jog toward the door. The vines parted, and he stepped out into the hallway. He needed Lou. Immediately. Like, yesterday immediately.

It'd been a long time since he'd joined the TSR. Iga would've liked to believed he'd once been struck starry-eyed by the compound, with its winding pathways and vaulted ceilings, walked by a plethora of dragons large and small from all walks of life and every corner of the planet. He would've liked to believe that he'd spend hours staring wonderstruck by the Leaders, going quick to his bed at night to relish in dreams of joining their ranks, being one of them, striking out against the unknown in an attempt to glean an understanding of it, and being crowned in a wreath wrought of golden courage and boughs of glory by the grateful masses...

But he didn't. He hadn't and he never would.

To him, his employment was an inevitability, a necessity even, if the idiots reviewing his journals were an accurate representation of their field. It wouldn't be long now, though; he'd take his rightful place as a Leader himself and fire the Waters--no, banish them outright. Such sheer levels of incompetence were a detriment not just to his department, but to society.

As he made his way toward Lou's quarters, a cacophony of thudding and panicked voices battered against his ears, making him flinch back.

"What is all that racket?!"

He continued on, being welcomed by the sight of a Nhiostrife towering over their founder, who decided to clamber up its side and make her perch there. Iga snorted.

Appropriate. Make us all look like fools, why don't you?

There was a Glaucus Drake standing half slack-jawed right where he was walking. He pushed by it without a care and regarded Lou, clearing his throat.

"Lou, I need your assistance now, if you please."

--

Morning was coming up quick. She needed to hurry, but--

"Avi-chaa, did you get Mom's hornament she sent?"

The two dragons were standing on the ridge of a plateau overlooking a mana-imbued forest. Ahlvi, a wyvern, was being fussed over by an Antarean--her father, named Chris. She was at least twice his size, causing him to nearly climb her to search through the pack around her neck. When he reached it--no matter how much she affirmed him--he pawed the contents until he found it: a strand of delicate tempered glass beads and feathers, each hand-crafted by her mother and all distinct with their own designs and shapes. When the ice-blue ribbon was tied around her left horn, the strand reached down the side of her broad face, charming and brimming with captured light and love. Ahlvi sighed. He was so...himself sometimes.

"Sorry, I just wanna make sure, sweetie. She just really loves you, that's all."

"I know, I know, and I love you all too. I just got places to be." She batted at the strand, watching it sparkle in the light. It was beautiful, she thought. How silly of him to think she'd leave one of her mother's own works behind. Chris backed away a bit and sat on the ground, looking up at her with a sympathetic expression.

"Mmh. You're right." He pursed his muzzle"...I just get kinda selfish sometimes, I guess." Ahvi shook her head. He really did overthink his emotions.

"Nah, Dad, it's cool. I know I haven't been around so much...but I've been super busy working my magic on the field. Aaaaaaand," she produced a print of a Golden Wyvern from her bag, wobbling it excitedly, "I get to meet the great and powerful Quirralis!!! I think I'm actually gonna get to go on an important mission, not just some rescue recon or whatever!" She bounced on her talons and squealed. Chris couldn't help but laugh, golden scales positively radiant with pride.

"Well, that's a really big deal Avi-chaa! I'd feel bad if I kept you keeping her waiting." He motioned for her to lean down. Chris took her head in his paws and nuzzled her lovingly.

"Go on. Get out of here; I'll tell Mom you said hi. Always know I love you, okay~?" Ahlvi nuzzled him in return.

"I do. I wub woo too." Chris stood back, and Ahlvi positioned herself on the ledge, spreading out her wings for takeoff. With a few powerful thrusts, she lifted, and was airborne. She took a last look back.

"Bye, Dad! I'll see you on my next break!" He hollered out to her, and though she didn't hear exactly what he said, she knew.

Be careful. I know.

But morning was coming up quick. She needed to hurry.

Edited by Sugar-Free

user posted image

Lou rolled her eyes at the needy dragon. She glared at him with burning rage at the sight of him pushing an apprentice in a rude manner. "Stay calm, I'll be walking on your left." the little tinsel whispered to the Nhiostrife calmly. Lou remembered that her specific breed (Nhios) had bad eyesight and figured it would be nice for her to tell the bigger dragon where she would be.

The bronze tinsel hurriedly climbed down the large blue dragon and bounced toward the western dragon. She stood up on her hind legs and regarded him. He was big, yes, but he at least respected her enough to follow her command. That she was thankful for. "I'm here. What do you need?"

Edited by Lothuialel

Akita was extremely grateful for Lou's understanding. She murmured thanks to the tinsel for letting her know which way she was heading. She looked over her shoulder, seeing the somewhat blurry shapes of the dragons that Lou was moving towards. This should be interesting...

Mystic smiled at the small dragon. "Well come on then. Let go find leader Lou." He said cheerfully as he started to head his way into the base and started his short search for lou.

Bramble smiled back at Lou who was climbing the wyvern before she gave a squeal of dismay of being pushed. She looked over at the much bigger dragon and huffed. We're all drakes treated like this? "How ve...ry rude," Bramble squeaked out. She watched as Lou address the dragon without scolding it. Bramble turned, knowing when she wasn't wanted.

=====

Grover fidgeted as he walked. It wasn't long before he ran into a nebula and a yulebuck walking together. "Mystic," Grover said, nodding his head at the Nebula before looking down at the Yulebuck. "And...Festival right? How's the apprenticeship coming along?" Grover smiled down at him.

Festival looked up at the other dragon with curious eyes. "Today is my first day. I cannot wait to go on a mission!" the young dragon was practically bouncing with excitement.

Iga ignored the expression of something or another on Lou's face and slapped the papers down before her. He took a claw under a part in the middle and flipped it, holding it down with one paw and pointing at a sizable set of graphs and accompanying paragraphs with the other. His eyes were narrowed, brow focused and taut.

"This is what I need: a personal review from someone with even a modicum of experience out there in the field." Without letting her ask, he flipped through a few more pages, settling on one with diagrams of various rocks and a layout of a valley.

"This is a report taken from the nearby Falkys Vale, as you can see. I sent out a couple of my hand-picked associates to collect samples so that I could test them and compare against the sets of samples I've taken over the past few years, also from the exact same area." Iga pointed to a couplet of drawings.

"I've been convinced that there's been a sort of shift in the compositions of the soils composing the foundation of the vale, and that it's been possibly affecting the growth and proliferation of the flora there, especially along the waterbeds. But of course,.." he growled and rolled his eyes. He didn't even want to mention them, "the Water dragons running the processing and review hub have deemed my findings inconclusive and biased, and refuse to publish my journals as a result. What I need from you is to look them over at your convenience." He eyed her, regardless; he needed the review to be as expedited as possible, but telling her wouldn't do him much good. As he knew too well, any sort of dictation over another's actions tended to lead to loafing, or even worse--outright rebellion. And what a nasty little word that is.

He flicked his tail and sat back on his haunches.

"I'm carrying the proof with me, if you think my writing is too dry and you require an impetus. Seeing as you are our leader, I think you should take the concern to heart."

--

The land moved out from underneath Ahlvi's wings, speeding by as she caught upon a few thermals, riding them with leisure. She kept her eyes below her--everything she was seeing was well-walked and mostly normal, with nothing to offer to Ahlvi in terms of map-making. It seemed almost every crevice of the known world had been uncovered and inscribed, but that was the known world. The prospect of lands beyond, underneath the ground, tucked in dark hollows, even within the depths of the seas was electric to her senses. Perhaps today, or at least soon, she'd be able to put her skills to use, and maybe even bring home a few souvenirs.

As she went, she spotted the unmistakable speckle-marks of a Nebula below. She immediately swooped down, careful to select a more reasonably-sized patch to land on to accommodate her girth. She offered the Nebula and his Yulebuck friend a wide, toothy smile.

"'Ey, Moody! What's you and the Tivs up to today? You seen Quirralis around?"

She turned her head and jolted, somehow not noticing the Witchlight that was standing before her. What a screw up! Keeping her eyes averted from his, she spoke.

"Oh heeeey~ You're Grover, right? Cool to meet you!"

Edited by Sugar-Free

The sky was slowly fading from a stark, diamond-scattered black to a dawn grey. The breeze was gentle, and rather pleasant to boot. Koyle was tuning his instrument, listening for any out-of-tune notes. After he was satisfied, he began a few warm-ups. He hoped to find a merchant selling new music soon; he had memorized his current music and was anxious to gain more. He began to play one of his favorite tunes, one that he knew from his childhood that had a special place in his heart. If he ever had a job after the TSR, it would likely be in composing. Of course, few artistains and musicians were truly successful. But music was pretty much Koyle's life, and he wouldn't take defeat easily.

Something caught his attention. Hearing the beat of wings, he looked up to see a female Hellfire that he'd never interacted with before. The large wyvern swooped down to meet with a Nebula and an oddly colored Yulebuck- also two he'd never met before. Holding the flute firmly in his talons, he rose into the air and glided down to meet them. "Good morning!" He chirped, landing near the three.

---

The candlelit cave was filled with messily-organized scrolls and such, all studies and records of the past. The leader was cooped up at her desk, dutifully examining recent records from the archives. She had possibly stayed up all night, drinking raw liquefied mana to keep herself awake. She had been doing so for the past five days; a dangerous practice, but she was convinced she was coming onto something. She peered at the scrolls and jotted down notes, and suddenly things weren't adding up. The soil in a location called Falkys Vale was changing, for the better or the worse. But nearby areas were staying the exact same. Meanwhile, strange noises were being heard in the Alpine Weyr. The slightest moans in the wind, but intriguing nonetheless. The areas were scattered, but there was no real pattern? Why?

Quir grunted and unfurled another scroll. She would just have to keep piecing the links together. But she was closer, surely. Much closer.

"Good morning Grover." Mystic said to Grover, shortly after Ahlvi came over with a toothy grin on her face. "And a morning to you too, Ahlvi. Currently out looking for Lou, as for Quirralis. Have not seen her, for I'm just now stepping foot into the base. She might still be in her studies, I would say it's been five days now. That Dragoness is going to die soon if she stays locked up in her studies. Well I'm off to find Lou." He sais as he started to head In lou General room direction.

user posted image

Lou read through the papers quickly. Her quick reading skills were perfect for situations such as this. "The soil...it is changing." She completely disregarded his rude attitude as her thoughts and worries were deeply focused. Yes, she would need a couple of missions done. First, she would need to consult with Quir as the two leaders would be going on two separate missions. Mystfire claimed to have found an old urban legend about dragon eating plants and was wanting someone to look into it. "I shall speak to Quir at once. Don't leave or go too far, I'll be having a mission or two assignments to be handed out."

Lou rushed into Quir's private quarters with Iga's papers and records. "We need to discuss a couple of missions. Since there will be two I thought you and I could get some fresh air and go with the teams. Iga found some evidence of soil movements and flora growth problems in Falkys Vale and Mystfire found old records of legends about a dragon eating plant. I would rather go to the vale than see a plant three times my size wanting to eat me, but what would you like to do?"

user posted image

Festival smiled at Ahlvi and nodded at Grover. "Good morning to you all. I hear that the leaders have been busy in their studies lately and I haven't seen either of them." the little Yulebuck watched the Nebula walk away in search for Lou and proceeded to follow him.

Edited by Lothuialel

Akita heard Lou rush away hurriedly. Anxious to not be near the Iga long enough for him to start griping at her, she edged around him and went up to the apprentice drake. "Hi! Bramble, right? Do you have anything to do? I was thinking of going outside for a bit of a walk, and figured you may want to stretch your legs as well!" Edited by igloo9201

Bramble looked over as Lou said some things, not to her understanding, but it was then the wyvern walked over to her. "Y..yes," Bramble said, nodding her head. She then stared at the wyvern, trying to make sense of what she was saying. "No." Bramble tilted her head, figuring a walk is what she needed to clear her mind. "Yes, walk." Well, at least she got the message through one worded response.

=========

"Five days?" Grover asked as Festival replied to Mystic. He nodded his head Koyle in greeting. "Has time flown by that fast?" He followed Festival and Mystic to go find Lou, afraid of being left alone once again. "I wonder what if the leaders are planning to take some of us out soon."

Akita was close enough to see the confused looks Bramble was giving her. But she was glad that she eventually agreed to a walk. "Great! You should probably lead though, my eyesight isn't the greatest."

Shade wonder though the lost caves for a bit, mapping out more of the area in his mind. Though the main group has yet to explore this far from the home base caves, do to dangers, he had no problem doing so, do to his natural ability to fade into the either. To get here by any other means is to swim through a maze of tunnels that are submerged under water. He has yet to map the submerged caverns only the dry land places coming from these tunnels. He finished up his mental mapping of the area and decided to go and check up on Lou, where ever she may be. He simply stepped into the either and started his short journey back to home base.

=================================================================================

Mystic wonder though the halls looking for Lou, and came wandering across Akita and Bramble. "Well good morning you too. By any changes have you seen Lou around?" He asked the two dragonesses.

Akita looked over to the large colorful blur that had entered the room. "Good morning! Lou went off to speak to Quir not long ago. You may have to wait till the two of them are done speaking, but maybe hang around the area where Quir's room is?" She blinked at the other wyvern. He was the second dragon to want to talk to Lou that day, with Iga being the first. I wonder if anyone else is looking for her... Edited by igloo9201

((.....Bump I guess, I'll give it two more bumps, before I start doing stupid sh*t with Shade and Mystic.))

Iga strode next to Lou as she entered Quirallis's quarters. It likely wasn't his place, but he decided to follow regardless. Yes, he reasoned, it was his place, as it seemed more and more like the only two dragons with any sense about them were himself and his superior. As Lour rambled off her mission statement, Iga tugged at the tie of a pouch around his neck, producing an eerie brown-purple crystal in a small bottle. He offer it out to Quir.

"I'd like you to take into account this mana crystal I found whilst on assignment. Notice how the coloration desaturates around the roots, and mimics a hue unlike that of dirt. But I can assure you that I wouldn't be so obstinate as to properly inspect this anomaly: I can assure you that it is not staining of any sort."

-------

Hmm...she thought, a puzzled look on her face. What could possibly be so demanding that the wyvern would lock herself away like that? Before she could ask, Mystic was already moving his way to the meeting hall, and Ahlvi wasn't one for being left behind! Before she could follow him, the pipe of a sweet voice emanated from nearby. She swiveled her head, meeting the triangular wedge-face of an unfamiliar Antarean. She grinned and waved a wing at them.

"Hey, there! Are you a new person? i don't think I've seen you around here before...~"

Edited by Sugar-Free