TJ09

2016-10-31 - Happy Halloween

As soon as I saw these guys' description, I thought of this:

Can you imagine conflict between Witchlights and Spirit Wards?

Travelers are walking along, and they can either be

-found by a Witch Light that wants to lure them into the woods and mess them up for life (or kill them).

-found by a Spirit Ward that will protect them till they're safe.

Would a Spirit Ward be able to banish a Witchlight? Maybe they're actually the evil things that SWs are so notorious for protecting people from. People assume it's "evil spirits" or some other spooky thing, but maybe it's actually been Witchlights most of the time.

Although, Witchlights stay in remote areas, but still. I wonder how often these two come in contact with each other.

People were speculating on a "dark form" of Spirit Wards when they were released, and this honestly isn't far off.

Based on this, they would/could be "sworn" rivals.

If you bred them would be even more ironic since one would like ruin you for life and the other one would be "" the angel"" that is supposed to protect you - literally breeding death with life.

Haha, I love how these guys look like caligenes that fell in a pool of mutating ooze. I know they're not, but its kinda fun to think the two species might be cousins. the gendered hatchies are so squeeable, I'm freezing a bunch next year.

OMG those adults!!

user posted image

I love them! The males especially! wub.gif

Daww, I expected large spiky ears and some majectic feathery crown or 'mane' on their heads... (s2, I blame you!)

I love the wings and colouration thoguh!

Oh my ! Odeen - the description is almost better than the dragons ! ALMOST !

*shiver*

Is it just me, or did anyone start thinking of Mismagius when reading the description? In one episode of the anime, a Mismagius created an illusion and its eyes were glowing in the process.

Darn, at first glance I thought they were drakes! Oh well, I'm still happy with them either way

user posted image

- Witchlight dragons are consummate opportunists, subsisting quite well on carrion when no fresh prey is available to them. Their strong digestive systems allow them to consume even rancid meat with confidence, and they will eat every digestible part of a kill - including the bones. Because of this, the victims of Witchlight predation have often been said to vanish into thin air.

- These nocturnal hunters have adapted to a lifestyle of stealth. The soft feathers coating their bodies muffles the sound of their movements, and they are not known to growl or roar at all. A Witchlight will huff or snap its jaws together when excited or irritated, but will otherwise remain eerily silent.

- A Witchlight dragon's illusions will tailor themselves to the unique fears and comforts of individual prey, presumably by playing off their own perceptions and weaponizing them. Some may be lured into oblivion by fantasies of warmth and safety, while others will be taunted with manifestations of their own paranoia and insecurity. Whichever form the magic takes, a Witchlight will not strike down its prey until their resolve is thoroughly broken.

- While Witchlight dragons are perfectly capable fliers, they hunt on foot and reserve flight mainly for the practical matter of traveling. The exposed leather of their wings makes too much noise in motion to be useful for stalking and ambush.

- The glow of a Witchlight's eyes and markings has an inherent alluring quality to it. They are capable of controlling the extent to which their eyes and markings glow, and use those in conjunction with their illusions to lure prey. However, they cannot control their own glow while they sleep: in order to remain hidden in their bramble-thicket nests and prevent their glow from attracting unwanted attention, they will wrap their wings tightly against their sides and tuck their heads under the sheltering darkness of their wings.

- Witchlights are solitary but not necessarily ornery. They make doting, attentive parents and will visit members of their families long after they've grown and established their own hunting grounds. Mother Witchlights will meticulously coat their newly-laid eggs with downy feathers preened from their own bodies in order to keep them warm and protected from the elements.

- It was once said by a particularly fortunate traveler that Witchlight dragons enjoy scritches, but few have dared to test that claim.

user posted image

- Witchlight dragons are consummate opportunists, subsisting quite well on carrion when no fresh prey is available to them. Their strong digestive systems allow them to consume even rancid meat with confidence, and they will eat every digestible part of a kill - including the bones. Because of this, the victims of Witchlight predation have often been said to vanish into thin air.

- These nocturnal hunters have adapted to a lifestyle of stealth. The soft feathers coating their bodies muffles the sound of their movements, and they are not known to growl or roar at all. A Witchlight will huff or snap its jaws together when excited or irritated, but will otherwise remain eerily silent.

- A Witchlight dragon's illusions will tailor themselves to the unique fears and comforts of individual prey, presumably by playing off their own perceptions and weaponizing them. Some may be lured into oblivion by fantasies of warmth and safety, while others will be taunted with manifestations of their own paranoia and insecurity. Whichever form the magic takes, a Witchlight will not strike down its prey until their resolve is thoroughly broken.

- While Witchlight dragons are perfectly capable fliers, they hunt on foot and reserve flight mainly for the practical matter of traveling. The exposed leather of their wings makes too much noise in motion to be useful for stalking and ambush.

- The glow of a Witchlight's eyes and markings has an inherent alluring quality to it. They are capable of controlling the extent to which their eyes and markings glow, and use those in conjunction with their illusions to lure prey. However, they cannot control their own glow while they sleep: in order to remain hidden in their bramble-thicket nests and prevent their glow from attracting unwanted attention, they will wrap their wings tightly against their sides and tuck their heads under the sheltering darkness of their wings.

- Witchlights are solitary but not necessarily ornery. They make doting, attentive parents and will visit members of their families long after they've grown and established their own hunting grounds. Mother Witchlights will meticulously coat their newly-laid eggs with downy feathers preened from their own bodies in order to keep them warm and protected from the elements.

- It was once said by a particularly fortunate traveler that Witchlight dragons enjoy scritches, but few have dared to test that claim.

Great job, Odeen! I'm completely in love wub.gifwub.gif

Odeen, you are a master. *bows in respect*

I had a feeling they were going to be witch based (not at all because one of TJ's dragons has the code Witch). Anywho they look awesome and I'm glad I got 7 of them. They also kinda remind me of Owls, considering they also use their feathers as a silencer.

Also I'd like to compliment the egg spriter(s), they have my favorite hatching sequence.

I am loving the extra information smile.gif

Witchlight dragons are consummate opportunists, subsisting quite well on carrion when no fresh prey is available to them. Their strong digestive systems allow them to consume even rancid meat with confidence, and they will eat every digestible part of a kill - including the bones. Because of this, the victims of Witchlight predation have often been said to vanish into thin air.

Are they partly inspired by lammergeiers? They're also known as bearded vultures, and really beautiful birds. They too have digestive systems capable of digesting bones. The coloring is very different, and of course lammergeiers don't lure travelers astray in the woods... but it's thought that a lammergeier killed the Greek playwright Aeschylus by dropping a heavy bone on his head, so they do have a dangerous reputation laugh.gif

Thank you for the info and art, Odeen!

A few special cases (simple hatching sequences, holiday eggs, etc.), I don't mind, but overall I agree. I def don't want it to become a common thing. And if the animation was anything like your avatar, I'd 100% have to avoid the site around the release (and I don't even have epilepsy).

~

Trying to help out fansites, so my computer is not doing well actually loading anything right now. Will either have to give up hunting for new eggs or give up on the fansites until I catch at least one more new egg.

But, but, but....yeah a site like that would be doomed to disaster lol. I've been meaning to change my avatar but I really don't know what to change it to. I think the avatar was my first thing I animated in photoshop and I was pushing how fast the animation would go.

I just checked the fansite I used and yeah 2,000 ER eggs is a bit much. I just hope I don't see any adult sprites by accident on there because I like to see mine be the first ones I see.

I love the sprite and concept, and I'm definitely looking forward to breeding them in the future. And the bonus info just makes me love them more (especially the part about how they take care of their eggs).

Also I totally called it. Witch dragon.

I am loving the extra information smile.gif

Are they partly inspired by lammergeiers? They're also known as bearded vultures, and really beautiful birds. They too have digestive systems capable of digesting bones. The coloring is very different, and of course lammergeiers don't lure travelers astray in the woods... but it's thought that a lammergeier killed the Greek playwright Aeschylus by dropping a heavy bone on his head, so they do have a dangerous reputation laugh.gif

There is a lot of bird in these - mainly raven and owl - but I did keep vultures in mind when fleshing out the concept. Aside from that they're also based on (yes) witches and will-o'-wisps.

Odeen your dragon is a real Halloween nightmare, thanks so much! laugh.gif

...and I love the color of the feathers.

Edited by bigbite100

l love the new dragons! 10/10, they're beautiful, creepy, well-posed. One of my favorite Halloween dragons and one of my favorites overall.