MoonlightEevee

Team Contagion

That vid is 13 minutes long; I definitely don't care to watch it, sorry.

So here's what the video says which I think is important in regards to this competition.

One major reason people join team instinct in pokemon go is because it's the underdog team, despite it not being the team favored to win. (Instinct has the least players in terms of overall percentage)

Matpat cites a study that focuses on the underdog effect. (9:14 in the video) One scenario presented to subjects is the classic underdog situation. Where team B has less odds then team A of winning and the majority of subjects chose team B. In the same situation where money was a factor and the higher odd team made less money, the subjects switched to team A, finding value in hard work and determination. He goes on to cite how fairness is judged in other species, as well as his own observations of youtubers who go from small to big and how people go from rooting for them to rooting against. People root more for the little guys as well as root against the big guys.

You could compare this all to the classic David vs. Goliath. If TJ hadn't manipulated the bar, the spreader team might have more supporters and higher percentage.

*sigh* At least that's how I feel.

Edited by Daydreamer09

The artificial spread points weren't simply removed, though - the additions were just slowed until they stopped. So, thanks to the artificial spread, they weren't winning all along. But now that the artificial spread has stopped and the user numbers are not boosted one direction or the other, they are winning.

I'm pretty bad when it comes to mechanics. You are most likely right and I'm probably just being really dense. I'm just saying that we could've still had a very real chance without the artificial boost; it would've made the playing field a lot more clear. I don't care for artificial points. If I'm going to lose, I want it to be because my team didn't have enough points or manpower, not because a booster went away. I don't want to be led on to believe I had enough manpower when in fact I didn't.

If any of you play D&D...it's kind of like if you're playing in a campaign and the Dungeon Master has you and your other level 2 companions up against level 20 monsters but you are somehow still winning because the Dungeon Master also gave you a broken level 50 NPC fighter to pull your party along. Take him away and you all are squashed jelly. That's no way to play a game. I mean, it is...but it's no fun with that broken tank to save you. You might win...but not from the party's collective effort. If I'm going to win I want it to be because my team did it all by ourselves, not because of some artificial character coming in to aid us in a war we otherwise couldn't win. You know? (Sorry if I'm only confuzzling things).

Frankly, I am having a hard time understanding your point of view on this, and I don't know how you are having a hard time understanding why other people on here feel cheated and disappointed by this. Either way! I do agree, just because we are losing does not mean we have to be down in the dumps about it. It's just a game, in the end. If we're going to lose, lets at least go down fighting!

Explanation!

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...dpost&p=9326663

The bar was set up such that if no one did anything, spread would naturally win (i.e. spread got free contributions). For the final day, that artificial help falls off, so what you're seeing is the actual user score.

unsure.gif That is disappointing. Nobody wants their effort to be artificially boosted without their knowledge. It robs even a graceful loss of any true meaning.

I don't had the time for reading all the post when i left my computer a few hours ago.

From the beginnin it should habe been clear, that the diesease had this help. So we all were thinking that it was only us players.

When will TJ learn that keeping us about things besides the secret new sprites in the dark will only made us very upset?

People tend to have a heart for underdogs...

*Cuddles her bacteriophage* Got you at the first day and i really love you! *hugging the lovely green bacteriophage*

@Laura-Borealis

*clap* You explain it better then me.

Edited by Tigerkralle

It was definitely a mistake for TJ to have revealed that he boosted the Infect team, everyone would've been happier had he not told anyone.

Though, hindsight is the worst way to advise someone.

If any of you play D&D...it's kind of like if you're playing in a campaign and the Dungeon Master has you and your other level 2 companions up against level 20 monsters but you are somehow still winning because the Dungeon Master also gave you a broken level 50 NPC fighter to pull your party along. Take him away and you all are squashed jelly. That's no way to play a game. I mean, it is...but it's no fun with that broken tank to save you. You might win...but not from the party's collective effort. If I'm going to win I want it to be because my team did it all by ourselves, not because of some artificial character coming in to aid us in a war we otherwise couldn't win. You know? (Sorry if I'm only confuzzling things).

That makes perfect sense and thank you for phrasing it that way. It's exactly like being carried in a role-playing game. There's no sense of accomplishment because your own effort barely registers. And in this case, we didn't even know it was happening - we weren't given a choice in the matter.

In the end it is just a little game on a little website for collecting little dragons, and it's not like I'm bitter about it, but if it were my game I wouldn't have done it this way. huh.gif

Part of me wants to draw a parallel with a certain orange-colored candidate for a certain public position who has been making claims about another contest being rigged... but maybe I shouldn't go there... tongue.gif

I might be wrong but I think we may be reversing the bar a wee bit?

I don't think we are :/

This reminds me of an excort mission from Starcraft 2, called "Engine of Destruction". It was all about excorting a super OP mech through enemy bases. If player się nothing, enemies were killing the unit relatively easy. If player tried to raid enemy bases without the unit, they were practically getting killed right away. Just like it happens here.

Sauron demonstrated quite well what happens to those who use one big thing+small help.

I mean I didn't spread the infection because it was the underdog team/losing. I'm just really ill at the moment and as a terrible self-deprecating joke, picked to infect...

I think everyone on our side stopped trying if I'm honest. The bar keeps moving and engulfing the redness of our bar

I think everyone on our side stopped trying if I'm honest. The bar keeps moving and engulfing the redness of our bar

Heck no I haven't. Ain't bein' stopped by no lying progress bar. *Smears it with virus.*

yeah once i saw what all my efforts actually amounted too i figured it was best i step away. i have submitted hundreds of games this week but now that i know how little impact it actually had its time to take a break and enjoy other events. tongue.gif

i was really hoping for a neck and neck battle but it turns out we have always secretly been ridiculously behind and i don't think its possible to change that in the next few hours if we were not able to swing it our way after a whole week of work.

I wish Cure's win really had been more neck and neck- would have been more fun. but they won all the same so congrats to them.

Edited by Sylviadragon

Heck no I haven't. Ain't bein' stopped by no lying progress bar. *Smears it with virus.*

What is this blue bar these people speak of? All I can see is red!

Good viruses never die, they come back stronger than before! Between the wins I submitted & subsequent 118 Halloween breedings I completed, I personally feel rather productive.

I'm personally sorry the game was set up this way :/ It definitely wasn't fair to your team!

I'm personally sorry the game was set up this way :/ It definitely wasn't fair to your team!

We were going to lose anyway, but knowing it was rigged like that makes it frustrating

I'm actually kinda sad that there was a secret boost too, because Team Cure messed up. We did. We got lazy and complacent in our lead yesterday, and the bar had jumped up to a tie overnight. So, I wanted to see if Team Cure would really beat back the disease or face the consequences of slacking off.

Then, the sudden jump in curing happened, and the natural spreading was revealed. It made victory just hollower. Like we really didn't beat back the disease.

It had just died on its own.

In real life, that's a great thing, but not nearly as fun for a game like this.

Maybe we will have another competition game like this, and it will be a fair fight. No boosts!

Oh well.

Well, if it's any consolation, looks like the Cure team didn't want an empty victory either. It looks like the bar hasn't moved since we got TJ's explanation.

This is over, the Cure won

Oh, and look at that, all the dragons are cured sleep.gif

Edited by Raptor of Dragons

Well, if it's any consolation, looks like the Cure team didn't want an empty victory either. It looks like the bar hasn't moved since we got TJ's explanation.

I've seen it showing spread shrink ever more... it's a few pixels at a time to me though so one can miss that

Really, this never was a PvP before a few hour ago... and then it suddenly changed... anyway I spilled my frustration with how this was handled in the news thread and I'm done with it...

Since the event is over, I will close this down.

I hope everyone enjoyed the event as much as I did!