MoonlightEevee

Team Contagion

Thanks to this event, I learned how to play Minesweeper. That seemed impossible to me, but I did it... Nerd skills improved, thanks a lot DC lol

I used to play Pinball a lot when I was younger, if that will be the next game, I can win it myself - no need for my team mates to play. wink.gif

It feels bad to know we were quite hopeless all the time, but... C'est la vie. Curiosity always leads to the hardest paths

I have to admit, I kinda see that as a bit cruel, giving false hope to the Contagion Team that they could actually win when, in reality, they never stood a chance without the game helping them :| Still, it was, as others said, a fun contest.

It would have given us motivation to work harder and see actual impact of our actions. Whatever, its over.

People are already giving up now, even though there's still six hours left to make a dent and contagion is still about a forth of the bar. I think it's impossible to really accurately guess how we would have reacted, though. All we can do is react now to what we have, and that's the fact that we're outnumbered, and that's okay. The event has no impact on the game either which way.

It would have given us motivation to work harder and see actual impact of our actions.

Exactly!

Which is why we can't give up now. If everyone on Contagion side gave up, there would be no red on the bar at all, and that would be sad face indeed.

People are already giving up now, even though there's still six hours left to make a dent and contagion is still about a forth of the bar. I think it's impossible to really accurately guess how we would have reacted, though. All we can do is react now to what we have, and that's the fact that we're outnumbered, and that's okay. The event has no impact on the game either which way.

People are giving up now because despite out best efforts, it's clear we were only putting up any sort of fight because we were getting help.

People started giving up when the bar jumped. Even more people are giving up now because of the explanation for why the bar jumped.

People are giving up now because despite out best efforts, it's clear we were only putting up any sort of fight because we were getting help.

People started giving up when the bar jumped. Even more people are giving up now because of the explanation for why the bar jumped.

And can you imagine the disappointment had we had a full seven days of seeing no impact?

Honestly, I can't imagine any less upset folk if spread hadn't been getting an artificial boost.

All that artificial help did was give us a false hope and made us think like what we were doing actually mattered. This is utterly humiliating. Before we knew we were getting help, it actually felt like a contest. Now it's just a foregone conclusion. There's no fun in that.

This, exactly. We needed a level playing field to plan - and we didn't have one. Sure - it's only a game - but it would have been much more fun if we'd been playing it for real, and as it turns out, we weren't.

And while I don't actually MIND losing, I do mind being given false hope - I'd have tried to recruit more friends if I'd known the real balance earlier.

Edited by fuzzbucket

And can you imagine the disappointment had we had a full seven days of seeing no impact?

Honestly, I can't imagine any less upset folk if spread hadn't been getting an artificial boost.

I feel like if the event had started with Spread not gaining any ground, people from Cure would have moved over here because that's not fun for anyone.

But at least the game would have been honest from the start.

The fact is we weren't informed until people started getting concerned it was a glitch and started asking. That makes it just feel like we had a rug pulled out from under us.

I would have preferred if we were either told upfront, or had no help at all.

There have been studies on the power of being an underdog and that it actually increases the chance people would choose that team. A youtuber, Matpat discusses this in

about pokemon go teams when discussing team instinct.

Actually, SPS please watch this video. It perfectly illustrates how I feel about this all in terms of fairness.

If anything, the artificial boost hurt the spreading team. Especially since there was no foreknowledge of it.

Edited by Daydreamer09

I can't imagine people on the Cure side rejoicing over this. To them, it was a free win. They were struggling to win for nothing. All so they could get rid of the green goop that was always going to go away after the event is over. Silly, imo. The rug was pulled out from under them as well.

People are already giving up now, even though there's still six hours left to make a dent and contagion is still about a fourth of the bar.

Because we know it is totally weighted against us, and because we all feel cheated (except you !)

Sure we have enjoyed playing minesweeper. But to be honest, I was already VERY good at it, and I have also been enjoying it a lot more on the most advanced board windows has to offer. The one here is just too easy ! I played it because I thought I was achieving something for my team.

We know now that it won't matter how hard we try - it's loaded against us. That's a killer. (I haven't actually given up, but that's why many have, I am certain sure. That and plain feeling cheated.)

I can't imagine people on the Cure side rejoicing over this. To them, it was a free win. They were struggling to win for nothing. All so they could get rid of the green goop that was always going to go away after the event is over. Silly, imo. The rug was pulled out from under them as well.

Exactly. Spread getting an artificial boost ended up making the game less fun for people involved on both sides.

Heavily agreeing here, even though I'm a Cure. A worthwhile victory is one that you struggle for, not something that's basically handed to you on a silver platter.

Ah, poop, guess we won't get that post-game RP text I was hoping for. Ah well x3 it was a fun little battle while it lasted! I do love these kind of "defeat the wave" games, though it was fun to see one where you weren't just pushing back against a faceless NPC counter-rate, but other players as well (that being us, of course!)

So yeah, a little disappointed at the loss, but, hey, think about it. Most players read the text and probably automatically played for cure, or thought something bad would happen if they clicked spread. In the end, we get to have a rare spoopy badge that the vast majority of players won't be able to get >:D

Because we know it is totally weighted against us, and because we all feel cheated (except you !)

Sure we have enjoyed playing minesweeper. But to be honest, I was already VERY good at it, and I have also been enjoying it a lot more on the most advanced board windows has to offer. The one here is just too easy ! I played it because I thought I was achieving something for my team.

We know now that it won't matter how hard we try - it's loaded against us. That's a killer. (I haven't actually given up, but that's why many have, I am certain sure. That and plain feeling cheated.)

Definitely.

I can imagine TJ sitting in his chair thinking to himself: "Not gonna do that again!"

As for me, I'm still going to keep playing...if only because I am addicted to pressing buttons. biggrin.gif

so wait because i wasnt really understand tjs post

the cure side was given a boost over the spread side?

There have been studies on the power of being an underdog and that it actually increases the chance people would choose that team. A youtuber, Matpat discusses this in
about pokemon go teams when discussing team instinct.

Actually, SPS please watch this video. It perfectly illustrates how I feel about this all in terms of fairness.

If anything, the artificial boost hurt the spreading team. Especially since there was no foreknowledge of it.

That vid is 13 minutes long; I definitely don't care to watch it, sorry.

I'm not trying to minimize people's feelings, but:

1) There are always people disappointed by events, no matter how they're done, no matter what style they are, no matter how much text or art there is. You can't please everyone.

2) The meter stayed fairly even throughout the game and I still saw people get extremely upset whenever it barely moved one way or the other. I saw multiple "why even try" comments until the meter got back to about even, then people were all gung-ho about going at it again.

3) There are a lot of cure players, and I saw a lot of comments about how they just couldn't set aside real life morals to play for the spread. As well, I'm sure there are people like myself who would have been paranoid about losing the badge I really wanted. I think, no matter what, the majority of people playing still would have ended up on team cure, and we would not have been able to see a big push from spread, at least not one that stayed for any strong length of time. Particularly because there was a time limit for submissions.

4) This is a simple week long event that has absolutely no impact on gameplay. Live and let live I say. By tonight, this will all be over. I just don't see any point in getting upset if you were already having fun before. Why end the event on a sour note for yourself? Play how you want until the game disappears, then impatiently focus on waiting to see our new Halloween adults!

so wait because i wasnt really understand tjs post

the cure side was given a boost over the spread side?

The spread side. The majority of users picked cure, so the artificial boost to spread kept us in the game for this week.

I can't imagine people on the Cure side rejoicing over this. To them, it was a free win. They were struggling to win for nothing.

I'm not sure what you mean by free win. More users picked cure. That's not a free win, that's a win in numbers. It's a fair win.

I'm not sure what you mean by free win. More users picked cure. That's not a free win, that's a win in numbers. It's a fair win.

It's kind of not in a way. A ton of people moaned about having trouble seeing their dragons in the green goop. They also said it caused a lot of lag. That's why they titled towards the cure.

Edit: it still would have gone away regardless if WE HAD the numbers

Edited by Raptor of Dragons

It's kind of not in a way. A ton of people moaned about having trouble seeing their dragons in the green goop. They also said it caused a lot of lag. That's why they titled towards the cure.

Edit: it still would have gone away regardless if WE HAD the numbers

I dunno. I would hazard a guess that users picked naughty vs nice in about the same ratio during the Snowya game. I think that's just how people choose to play, and they're free to play that way.

Win or lose, I'm still chugging away spreading vileness everywhere. I've even enlisted the help of the unbred 'Weenies hidden away on my scroll (entirely too many unbred CB 'Weenies, the horror!). It's taking me a while, but by the time I finish I hope to have a hundred or more infected 2nd gen time bombs out there.

Get infected, or get out! ninja.gif

You should watch the video, it's actually pretty funny and thought provoking. smile.gif And I'm not even a Pokemon Go player!! My husband picked the underdog team Instinct, btw. smile.gif

By free win I mean for the first 6 days they thought they were overall 50/50 on the bar with us, give or take a few pixels. But just a few hours ago, when the spread boost went away, everyone saw that they were in fact winning by a landslide (if you count more than a 3/4 win ratio a landslide as I do). I would call that a "free win." Because they didn't know they were winning all along.

Also, I think there is something wrong with a game when the vast majority of players are complaining how they are disappointed or humiliated and not interested in playing anymore...I think that is a big red flag for the holiday event creators.

By free win I mean for the first 6 days they thought they were overall 50/50 on the bar with us, give or take a few pixels. But just a few hours ago, when the spread boost went away, everyone saw that they were in fact winning by a landslide (if you count more than a 3/4 win ratio a landslide as I do). I would call that a "free win." Because they didn't know they were winning all along.

The artificial spread points weren't simply removed, though - the additions were just slowed until they stopped. So, thanks to the artificial spread, they weren't winning all along. But now that the artificial spread has stopped and the user numbers are not boosted one direction or the other, they are winning.

I honestly like the way the way this was set up. The 'nice' option always wins out in public opinion, and it was more in the holiday spirit to have the virus spread - and spreading is the natural way of things, so it made perfect sense to have the curers fight against the tide and the spreaders go with it.

Having said that, I've switched sides now. Go team virus! Let's see if I can't change my badge. tongue.gif