Fuzzbucket

Accepting aid message on main scroll page

The idea of nobody but you being able to add your eggs is good in theory, but I'm not sure it's possible. For one thing, hatcheries are not the only places where you can get views. Someone could add your eggs to their signature on a few active forums and there's nothing anybody can do about it.

The only way to prevent people from adding your eggs to hatcheries would be to have login systems on the hatcheries, and I don't think that can be done from DC's end because they're separate websites. (although maybe it could be done through the API? All hatcheries have to access the API to get information about the dragons, so maybe you could set a "hatchery password" on DC, and the API won't give out the information on your dragons without that password being entered on the hatchery site. If that's possible, it would be perfect, since you wouldn't have to find every hatchery and set up a password just to block trolls)

Please do not put flurp's growing things into fan sites.

Something like this sounds like the best bet to me. It's clear and explicit. I think it needs to be very plain because some players aren't native readers of English, and even those who are, don't always read something unless it's short and to the point.

(Of course, some won't even read that much. But this will at least help.)

Edited by Laura-Borealis

Well I think all these suggestions are good smile.gif just a simple message on scroll asking others to be respectful of users who don't want help with views should be enough to get the message across loud & clear.

EG: Please be respectful of my wishes regarding scroll/eggs/hatchies.

Be considerate enough NOT to ''help'' my eggs/hatchies

These eggs/hatchies do not require extra assistance ..then if a user wants they can politely tell others that they are capable of raising their eggs/hatchies thank you very much.

I for one would not be happy if my egg/s hatchies died because of too many views too soon..I go to a lot of effort to breed/catch my eggs & I have had a lot of sick eggs before that I had to fog & watch them carefully..so others need to be aware of their actions.. that's my say on this matter..Thank you & happy egg/hatchie raising smile.gifsmile.gif

I think it would look OK somewhere up at the top, maybe right under the badges or under the scroll link- maybe in a color that pops off the scroll and is easy to see? Otherwise, I don't think anyone would pay attention to it regardless of where it is- gotta up that visibility, which I think may be part of the issue with it currently. It's so tiny and unobtrusively invisible on the individual dragon pages.

I'm neutral but leaning towards support on this idea- I take care to FOG ALL THE THINGS so it's rare that I have a problem with viewbombing or accidentally unhelpful assistance, but, I know not everyone throws fog around and I can definitely see where something like this may help in at least some of the cases. Someone did recently try to viewbomb my inverted mint, but at the rate it gained views, I don't think it was in a hatchery- it had to have been posted somewhere else with high traffic and was most certainly malicious in intent, so not much enhanced security on the click sites could do to prevent it (as much as I think a login would be helpful). The other time previous that I'm sure I was viewbombed was definitely malicious, as well. I don't know that I've ever been 'helped' by a well meaning person, honestly- but I know it happens and an extra message for these sorts of people certainly couldn't hurt anything. It won't take anything away from the cave experience, so if it can potentially save an egg, why not add it?

Personally, I don't think this suggestion is going to help, so I can't really support it. I'm not dead-set against it, though, I just don't see it having any benefit.

Bump.... because of another suggestion that would need an on scroll message.

I support this, but I think it would help MORE if the default was accepting aid.  Because New people are 1. more likely to need the help. and 2. less likely to know that the message can be changed.  Which would mean anyone that has "Does not want help"  has to have changed it, so don't touch. 

19 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

I support this, but I think it would help MORE if the default was accepting aid.  Because New people are 1. more likely to need the help. and 2. less likely to know that the message can be changed.  Which would mean anyone that has "Does not want help"  has to have changed it, so don't touch. 

But then we run into the issue of, as you said, new people maybe not knowing that the message can be changed (or even what the message means at all) so they are freaking out because their eggs are getting sick and dying from too many views because people are "helping", and they don't know to change the message. Honestly I don't think that putting a newbie's eggs in hatcheries for them is a good thing anyways, because if their eggs grow because of other people helping, then they aren't learning how to actually play the game, and will be even more confused if eggs start dying because people suddenly aren't helping for whatever reason. Newbies need to learn how to take care of their own eggs, if they are going to stick around, and that may not happen if other people keep adding those eggs to hatcheries.

Also, not all newbies need help or want help. I'd be pretty pissed if people add my eggs to hatcheries just because they think I need help because I'm new, I'd like to play the game myself thank you. If, as you say, newbies may not know that the message can be changed, that's a bigger chance that they'll just get annoyed and frustrated that people are messing with their eggs and they don't know how to stop that.

I don't think many people will really check before adding others' growing things to hatcheries, even those that truly mean well. Honestly, how many people even remember that the message is there now? I know I don't sometimes. So I support this, but I don't think it will do a huge amount of good.

As for viewbombing, this won't affect that at all, but that has already been said. The only real solution to that is hatcheries requiring a password when adding growing things, and very few do currently.

Edited by The Dragoness

5 hours ago, Marie19R said:

But then we run into the issue of, as you said, new people maybe not knowing that the message can be changed (or even what the message means at all) so they are freaking out because their eggs are getting sick and dying from too many views because people are "helping", and they don't know to change the message. Honestly I don't think that putting a newbie's eggs in hatcheries for them is a good thing anyways, because if their eggs grow because of other people helping, then they aren't learning how to actually play the game, and will be even more confused if eggs start dying because people suddenly aren't helping for whatever reason. Newbies need to learn how to take care of their own eggs, if they are going to stick around, and that may not happen if other people keep adding those eggs to hatcheries.

Also, not all newbies need help or want help. I'd be pretty pissed if people add my eggs to hatcheries just because they think I need help because I'm new, I'd like to play the game myself thank you. If, as you say, newbies may not know that the message can be changed, that's a bigger chance that they'll just get annoyed and frustrated that people are messing with their eggs and they don't know how to stop that.

I'm a mentor. Loads of new players have no idea how to change that message. Many without a mentor will have no idea how to stop their eggs getting the views they didn't ask for. I think it's important that the default stays as no aid.