mpolo

Holiday dragons in Breed sort

With the new breed sort, the various Halloween and Valentine eggs are spread all over the scroll, while the various Christmas breeds are grouped as "Holiday". It had occurred to me that this will make holiday breeding (for Halloween and Valentine's day) somewhat more difficult for those using breed sort, as one has to remember the names of all of the releases.

Would it be possible to either officially rename the breeds with "Halloween xx: Pumpkin Dragon" (or similar) to allow that grouping, or to have an option to group the holiday dragons, either in general or just for their season?

I would love this; it's always bugged me too (consequently, I use an elaborate custom sort system of my own). I'm sure it's been brought up before, but I can't remember whether it's been officially shot down or not.

Edited by Amazon_warrior

I've always kept my dragons sorted by age, simply because I was too lazy to change it at the start and I'm attached to it now. However, I do occasionally use breed sort to find dragons for breeding, and with my new valentine lineage starting, it would definitely be useful to have all my valentines in one place.

I'm thinking that '{holiday}: {breed}' would work best (e.g. valentine: heartstealer), as it's not that hard to remember three well-known holiday names and grouping them all in one place might get a little messy, especially as they might get jumbled up.

I don't use breed sort, but this makes a lot of sense for those who do.

I would also like to see the "unofficial" names for the Holiday dragons included in their official name. For example, perhaps Holiday Dragon (2009): Snow Angel. I suppose that is material for another suggestion, though, if it hasn't already been suggested. Found the original suggestion and bumped it again!

Edited by purplehaze

I'll support this. Having the members of the different holidays sort together is just convenient. (I custom sort and put them all together up near the front)

Halloween dragons used to all sort together as "Halloween 20XX" but TJ changed it to sort under the dragons' breed name: "Black Marrow", "Shadow Walker", etc. I like that he did that.

I'd rather they stay that way. I'm not going to pitch a fit if he changes it again, but I do like that Shadow Walkers sort as Shadow Walkers and not "Halloween 2011"

I'd rather have the Holiday/Christmas dragons sort as "Holly", "Yule Buck", etc. too. I know that's the opposite of what you guys are asking for.

I'd rather suggest this to be solved by adding a filter (like the 'available for BSA' and 'available fro breeding') for either all holidays or just the holidays whose breeding season is at the particular moment, like 'holiday dragons available for breeding' or 'current holiday dragons available for breeding' - sth like that. This would make it the easiest for those who don't use custom sorting.

I'd rather see the Christmas dragons finally get their widely-functioning names Holly, Yulebuck, etc. instead of the year.

Though I must admit I do separate Christmas and Valentine dragons from the rest... because of their single-genderness issue making them break the scroll pattern (meaning Hollies and Mistletoes are sorted like regular dragons on my scroll).

But well, in general I sort by the alternate custom sort by breed's release date:P

actually it doesn't affect me much, I'd just like all holidays to have their proper names used, not just the Halloweens and Valentines... because they DO have breed names, even if they're not in the game itself:P Aegis, Mistletoe, Solstice, etc. smile.gif

On one hand, I totally get where you're coming from. There's a reason I do a modified breed sort using custom sort, and there's a reason I placed all my holidays behind all the regularly released dragons.

However, I think if they sort together, it makes more sense to sort them by year than by (unofficial) name, in which the suggestion really becomes "undo the more specific name scheme for custom sort for holidays".

What I would support would be an additional filter for just holiday dragons, as has been suggested above. If you use the default breed sort, that will still mix together all the holidays out of order, but at least it would cut out a lot of other dragons and a lot of pages. Also mentioned above, it could be a holiday filter that is only active during holiday breeding times and would only bring up those holiday times, although that seems a tad more complicated.

EDIT to clarify: I don't mind one way or another if holidays sort by year or by name, since I custom sort them anyway. Just throwing out my thoughts. ^^

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Why can't the naming scheme be *Holiday name* (year released) : *breed name*? (Example: Halloween (2010): Black Marrow)

That way the dragons still have their breed names in their encyclopedia entries but would sort based first on the holiday they come from, and secondly by the year they were released, which to me is the most logical way to sort them within the holiday group.

I do agree that a holiday dragon filter would help the situation of having to deal with the holiday breeding time, especially if it can be combined with the "Available for Breeding" filter. But I'm sure it really wouldn't help with the dissatisfaction of having the holiday dragons scattered across the scroll.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

A filter would certainly answer my concern as well. If there are people who vastly prefer them spread out over the scroll (Fiona), there's no reason to force a change on them if we can just have a "Show Holiday Dragons in season" filter or something similar. (That's actually what I meant by having an option to group them at the holiday season.)

Either a filter or a breed sorting adjustment would be amazing, it's so annoying to have to search through so many pages to find all my holiday dragons.

Edited by Crystals

I didn't change my sorting after the recent update, so my holidays are still grouped together on my scroll in their respective areas, but I would very much like a holiday dragon filter. I also support any other means of grouping the holidays together to make the breeding easier when it is time for them to produce eggs of their own species. Right now, regardless of what I do, breeding usually involves having a separate tab open since I have soooo many dragons.

I use Legacy sort because I like to put my dragons in the order I want them, and not by some predetermined sort or filter.

BUT, I wouldn't mind a filter that could sort out 'just' the holiday dragons. Filters don't affect my Legacy sort, so I can support this 100%.

I would prefer that the encyclopedia names be changed to the actual names people use and a filter added for the breeding season.

I didn't realize this was a thing with the new sorting until I read this thread. My scroll is still sorting based on the old method it would appear, probably because I haven't touched it since before then but I really prefer it the way it was before with the holiday groups. I just find it far more convenient, especially as someone who works with holiday dragons a lot (my holly for instance).

Any method of allowing the holiday dragons to be grouped in some sort method would be great in my book!

I only just changed my sort to find something and then low and behold, I now have the new breed sort which is driving me crazy. dry.gif

SockPuppet Strangler pointed me this way and I completely agree that a separate Holiday breed filter would be awesome, but another good idea is just bring back the "Legacy Breed Name" that TJ called the old breed sort and keep the current new version. That way hopefully everyone is happy.

For those who have been hit so hard - you could always use alt custom sort to drag and move the holidays by groups, and save. Then they will be where you like them the next time you go to sort.

When you NEED to sort by breed, there is always the breed filter - which isn't permanent and doesn't save.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Yes, I have very deliberately not touched my sort because I am very much attached to having my holiday dragons grouped together. I would like a holiday filter, ideally one I could also use outside holiday season. I have a 10 page scroll/500 pp; the more filters I can get, the happier I would be.

I didn't realize this was a thing with the new sorting until I read this thread. My scroll is still sorting based on the old method it would appear, probably because I haven't touched it since before then but I really prefer it the way it was before with the holiday groups. I just find it far more convenient, especially as someone who works with holiday dragons a lot (my holly for instance).

Any method of allowing the holiday dragons to be grouped in some sort method would be great in my book!

This, very much. Having my holiday dragons grouped by category and sorted by year of release is exactly why I still use "Legacy Breed Name" for sorting. It's a pity that new players cannot use it ever.

How many people use the default sorts rather than setting up their own, as a matter of interest ? Is this a huge problem for anyone who didn't get caught sorting by breed after the change ? (Not belittling; just asking. Just that it made no difference to me, as I sort My Scroll MY Way. xd.png I thought most people did?)

Sock said once that she has several tabs open - one with the sort she likes - and then she can change the sorts all kinds of ways, and go back to the one she likes and hit save when she's done.

Well, I used to sort my scroll individually, but got fed up with the process. So I chose an automated sorting feature, namely by breed (now legacy breed).

I'd rather suggest this to be solved by adding a filter (like the 'available for BSA' and 'available fro breeding') for either all holidays or just the holidays whose breeding season is at the particular moment, like 'holiday dragons available for breeding' or 'current holiday dragons available for breeding' - sth like that. This would make it the easiest for those who don't use custom sorting.

I'd rather see the Christmas dragons finally get their widely-functioning names Holly, Yulebuck, etc. instead of the year.

Though I must admit I do separate Christmas and Valentine dragons from the rest... because of their single-genderness issue making them break the scroll pattern (meaning Hollies and Mistletoes are sorted like regular dragons on my scroll).

But well, in general I sort by the alternate custom sort by breed's release date:P

actually it doesn't affect me much, I'd just like all holidays to have their proper names used, not just the Halloweens and Valentines... because they DO have breed names, even if they're not in the game itself:P Aegis, Mistletoe, Solstice, etc. smile.gif

I like this idea. If the filter listed all the holiday dragons it would make finding the specific ones you are looking for so much easier than hunting through all your dragons for them.

Well, I used to sort my scroll individually, but got fed up with the process. So I chose an automated sorting feature, namely by breed (now legacy breed).

^ This was my situation as well Fuzz, I just don't have the time or patience to keep resorting all the new dragons that grow up on my scroll, so I let them sort by breed. And I'm still on the old Breed sort because I also hate the fact that Halloweens and Valentines are no longer grouped together.

After a quick skim read of the thread, I didn't see anyone else suggest this so I'll put it out there: see in the sort menu, we have 2 tick-box options? Why not add another that sorts all Holidays by their Holiday rather than Breed? People who like them scattered can leave it unticked and those who liked them group can use this setting without impacting autosorting functions.

Edited by bluesonic1

So, about this time last year, I asked about this, but there was only moderate response. I think that it would be useful to add an additional "filter" for "Holiday dragons available for breeding", that would show (in the Halloween season) all the Halloween dragons available for breeding. Otherwise, it is somewhat harder to find these dragons -- obviously you can use the wiki to get the names of all of them, or you can group your dragons, but I'd like an option for lazy players (like me). What do others think about this idea?