priscel

A Wrapped Christmas Egg release

Hey everybody! smile.gif

Ok, so I know the Holiday eggs are already a mystery until they are released. What about releasing them one Christmas in a gift wrapped box? Or maybe an nondescript/black question mark egg like we had in the beginning ...with a ribbon on it? ^__^' hehe I seem a little stuck on the ribbon huh?

And in timed intervals, within a 24 hour period, the ribbon unravels bit by bit revealing more of the egg. A surprise within a surprise ^__^

The egg is still influenced by time, but from my experience, eggs don't seem to start cracking until after 4.23 days. So those who fear they might miss what the egg shell looks like, more than likely won't.

Interesting no? Is this possible?

Edited by priscel

So it's like a second cracking sequence on top of the normal one? That'd be pretty cool!

What would be a good rate for the ribbon/paper to unwrap at?

I'm thinking every 6 hours with 6 stages.

Although, I'm not sure if the creators of the concepts would be happy that their egg is being covered by something for a majority of the time it's an egg. It'd probably be best to ask the most common creators of holiday/Christmas dragons.

I'm not really a fan. For something like this, to me it makes more sense for it to be the cracking sequence itself. It probably would have worked for the Wrapping Wing. But to add it on to a random xmas dragon breed just rubs me the wrong way.

There's a suggested wrap BSA that I think something like this would really work better for. Even just offering a special "holiday transer" under magis would work and be cute.

I don't want to seem grouchy or Scrooge-y, but I'm just not interested in this for an egg that I purposefully grabbed for myself. I wouldn't really be upset if it was implemented, but it's not something I'm gunning for. ^^;;

It would be kind of fun if the cracking sequence itself was an unwrapping, maybe something like the Paper cracking sequence (though obviously not quite the same). I love unique cracking sequences, haha.

I think I like Sock's suggestion of using this for a special holiday transfer! There's also a thread where a lot of people have been discussing a re-release of holiday dragons... it might be cool if something like this was used for such a re-release, perhaps if the re-release was more of a "gifting" of the old dragons instead. Like if people who had CB Holidays on their scrolls could sacrifice breeding them for the season to instead "gift" some CB eggs to someone/the AP, and only people who don't yet have a CB of that dragon can pick up the egg. It looks wrapped up, so you wouldn't immediately know what you're getting, but you would know it wasn't one you have already if you're able to take it. I know that's tangential to this topic so I apologize but it was just a quick idea I had that could potentially go with yours.

I think I like Sock's suggestion of using this for a special holiday transfer! There's also a thread where a lot of people have been discussing a re-release of holiday dragons... it might be cool if something like this was used for such a re-release, perhaps if the re-release was more of a "gifting" of the old dragons instead. Like if people who had CB Holidays on their scrolls could sacrifice breeding them for the season to instead "gift" some CB eggs to someone/the AP, and only people who don't yet have a CB of that dragon can pick up the egg. It looks wrapped up, so you wouldn't immediately know what you're getting, but you would know it wasn't one you have already if you're able to take it. I know that's tangential to this topic so I apologize but it was just a quick idea I had that could potentially go with yours.

Please?

This is an awesome idea. I know it's been discussed a ton already, but I think this would be a fun, easy way to "re-release" old dragons in the cave. Of course, it'd rely on users who have CBs to breed and abandon their only chance that year for breeding that dragon. But if they're alright with it I'd be very happy. (But I seriously doubt people will be willing to give up their holiday breeding time to gift eggs to other people.)

The problem with that plan is there would be practically no CB hollies floating around the first year. Their CB breedings are too valuable. It would probably work if it doesn't have to be CBs to make the new CBs. There's quite a few long and actually badly lineaged hollies around to swing CBs if they can produce them.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

The problem with that plan is there would be practically no CB hollies floating around the first year. Their CB breedings are too valuable. It would probably work if it doesn't have to be CBs to make the new CBs. There's quite a few long and actually badly lineaged hollies around to swing CBs if they can produce them.

Very much this. CBs are too important for creating lineages, but I wouldn't mind "gifting" CBs to the community by *not* breeding my (few) messy-lineaged holiday dragons or holiday dragons without a "proper" mate.

Regarding the original suggestion: I really don't see any purpose here. The new egg already is a surprise when we get to see it on the day of the release. Moving this surprise to a later point in time by unwrapping the egg seems unnecessary.

Of course, there are variations that do make sense, like gift-wrapping eggs in teleport (with hidden lineage view to not spoil the surprise) or an April Fool's joke where every egg in the cave / on someone's scroll is either gift-wrapped or coated in a particular color (= looking like a tinsel/shimmer, for example),

...Maybe you could "sacrifice" a breeding by sending out a Holiday to "hunt" for a CB egg for you instead? CB Holidays could maybe have a higher chance of success than bred Holidays, but you'd still be able to try.

ETA: And you would probably also need some reason why Holidays could hunt for or somehow produce a CB egg for you but "regular" year-round dragons can't, or you'll get people demanding to know why they can't send their messy Canopy out to hunt for a CB Gold....

Edited by Amazon_warrior

Wow, I really like all the discussion ^__^ Thank you!

I'm leaning more toward the idea of it being a BSA special for the magi dragons on or during the Christmas breeding period, when people might want to gift out eggs as a surprise. That would be awesome. Oooh, April fools would be so perfect too! biggrin.gif a bit of tease since you can't keep it.

For Christmas maybe gifting it with a clause letting you know that once you commit it as a gift, like the one way teleport, it can't be undone. Though with an added upside, sort of bonus, where it doesn't rob you of an egg space? Also, if the gift is anonymous, it can pop up in random places on DC? Though the former may cause conflict if there's a holiday event going on... so I'm not so sure about it. The unclaimed can go to/grow up in the Wilderness...?

The re-release of holiday cbs... There's some I don't have but I think it's kind of been addressed by making it an option for prize winners - thus limiting/controlling the number released and not threatening their rare value/demand for 2nd gens from the owners who already possess them.

Edited by priscel

The re-release of holiday cbs... There's some I don't have but I think it's kind of been addressed by making it an option for prize winners - thus limiting/controlling the number released and not threatening their rare value/demand for 2nd gens from the owners who already possess them.

it should NOT be an option just for prize winners. they should be made available to every single player on this game. holidays are no where near the same as prize dragons, they're not won in a raffle they are released incave.

keeping dragons away from other people just to protect their rare value/demand is not a good and valid reason. that's just being mean, rude and greedy.

sorry for being blunt but this is whats fair to everyone.

as for wrapping the eggs in teleports as little surprise presents, sure that sounds cute and fun to me

it should NOT be an option just for prize winners. they should be made available to every single player on this game. holidays are no where near the same as prize dragons, they're not won in a raffle they are released incave.

keeping dragons away from other people just to protect their rare value/demand is not a good and valid reason. that's just being mean, rude and greedy.

sorry for being blunt but this is whats fair to everyone.

as for wrapping the eggs in teleports as little surprise presents, sure that sounds cute and fun to me

Agreed! Already past 2 years of all these Prize raffles made me almost quit this game and if even more "exclusive" dragons will be given only to certain users who maybe already own CB Hollies/Hybrids/Prizes and on the other side will be us with nothing of such value or offspring trading value then I really don't want to be a part of this community anymore... We unlucky ones need to survive out here too... And hopefully after numerous years somehow finish all our scrolls goals too ~

If holidays dragons sent out to hunt CB eggs ever happens ~ it should do so for everyone.

I do like the Magi wrapped teleport eggs though smile.gif

Just thinking that perhaps, during christmas time, there could be an option to send a one-way Teleport as a 'gift' egg, where it has an egg-present sprite, all wrapped up and nice, and then you can use 'Unwrap' when you get it to see what it is? Maybe this would leave scraps of wrapping paper around the egg for, say, 24h, which I think would be a nice touch.

Perhaps hatchlings could be put in boxes, allowing them to be 'gifted' too smile.gif

It would be an option for the sender to use, alongside the two normal options. Someone attempting to claim the gift would be able to tell how many eggs (wrapped egg-shapes) and how many hatchlings (boxes) there were, but nothing else about them.

In regards to the original suggestion here, it sounds overly complicated and I feel like it would work better if a spriter just made a egg that looked like it was wrapped and gave it a custom cracking sequence. In that case it would be the spriter's call, not a site suggestion.

In regards to this random gifting idea, I see problems. First of all, egg limits. Do the gifts exceed them or count towards them? I would get very annoyed if I was hunting in the AP and someone egg locked me randomly, but if they don't count then people could end up with silly amounts of eggs/hatchies. Second, every year we get several gifting/secret santa type threads on the forums, so if people really want to gift they can go to one of those or just PM someone a transfer link randomly. Finally, I feel like a lot of gifts would get tossed to the AP, either because the receiver has very specific scroll goals or the gift was trash. Some people will "gift" total trash just to say that they gifted and should be gifted back. The thing with normal transfer, if the person doesn't want it, they can see so and say so, but with the egg hidden people would get random stuff on their scroll.

The idea with this is a simple visual-only addition to one-way transfers. A link would be created as usual, but when viewed, you would only see (perhaps a small selection of) wrapped eggs/hatchlings. As soon as they got to your scroll, you would be able to 'unwrap' them, and then rules apply as normal. Eggs/hatchies would still could towards your scroll limits, wrapped or not, and you wouldn't be able to accept a gift if you didn't have room.

It's cute as a gifting thing (NOT a fan for the regular new eggs) - BUT - if you have to accept it to see what it is and it is something that - however kindly meant - what if it's something you don't want. And people who gift usually scream and carry on if their gift is then passed on or traded...

Edited by fuzzbucket

It's cute as a gifting thing (NOT a fan for the regular new eggs) - BUT - if you have to accept it to see what it is and it is something that - however kindly meant - what if it's something you don't want. And people who gift usually scream and carry on if their gift is then passed on or traded...

Yea, some of them do. Perhaps it would be easier to gift them randomly, so those who participate do so because they don't mind who the egg goes to. Should there be limitation on whether the egg gifted is a certain # of generations? Would that be possible?

The holiday cbs discussion has it's own thread, so it's probably best to keep that discussion separate.

The problem with limiting the gen is some lineages are even more awesome the higher the gen is. And it's also perfectly feasible to breed a 3rd or 4th gen that would be ugly to those who care about lineage. So I'm not sure if limiting the gen would really have an overall positive effect.

yeah i agree with pokemonfan there shouldnt be a limit on the gen number seeing as how the game itself doesnt differentiate between lineages only the players do and player tastes vary from player to player. the game only differentiates between whether a dragon is bred or cb

If you're worried about people putting in CBs and getting "bad" eggs in exchange, just make two separate swaps, one for CBs one for lineages.

That said, isn't the original suggestion still only about making a holiday egg with wrapping paper on it, not about gifting? This has been completely hijacked.

Indeed. And if that was the idea for the new Holiday egg - no thanks. It's already something we never saw before; we know it's an egg, and getting it looking like a package would just be - meh. And if we'd have to go through TWO "cracking" sequences - even more meh.

For the gifting idea - there's already this:

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=129384

Edited by fuzzbucket