Obscure_Trash

Update Standard Cave Text

I'm totally paraphrasing here, but Pryanka pointed out in TJ's DC AMA that the standard cave text hasn't changed to keep up with the bit of world building that we've learned about in the encyclopedia. Neither Valkemare or Galsriem is mentioned anywhere but the encyclopedia, afaik, which means that guests cannot see any of this more specific world information.

From the encyclopedia:

Dragon Cave takes place in the world of Valkemare, a largely unexplored world where humans, dragons, and countless other species live closely with one another.

The world contains a large amount of natural diversity, in part thanks to the presence of natural mana and its effects on plants and animals. There are many eccentric environments to be found, from the mana-filled sands of Jehumuh Desert to the deep oceans.

Dragons are primarily found on the continent of Galsreim, in part thanks to an expansive underground cave system and large mana deposit deep within. On this continent (as well as those nearby), dragons make up the top of the food chain.

This is a simple suggestion to just bring in some of this world building to the main DC text.

No, this is not a big suggestion, nor is it very important. No, it doesn't really add anything to gameplay. Yes, there are more important suggestions that many of us hope will be implemented.

This is just a quick and simple suggestion to update the cave text a bit and give guests a bit of an intro to DC locations.

Guests cannot see that DC is in Valkemare anywhere. I propose changes in the top paragraph rather than under "THE CAVE" though. The purpose of that main section of text is to explain how to play, not give you information on where you're located.

Main Text - The paragraph that shows up next to the random dragon on the main page.

Welcome to Dragon Cave! Set in the world of Valkemare, Dragon Cave is an online adoptables game. Collect eggs, raise them to adulthood, and then breed them to cre­ate interesting lineages. New types of dragons are added regularly! (Changes in Italics)

Next, there is no link to the actual Encyclopedia, but there is a link to the Help Pages, which is where I propose the next addition should be.

https://dragcave.net/help/intro <<<<< THAT PAGE SHOULD SAY THINGS. It should tell you what world you're on, and what the continents are named (I guess you don't want to update the map itself with text?)

Done

Below is the standard cave text, slightly altered to simply mention actual location names.

You enter the cave system on the continent of Galsreim and see many large dragons scattered about, some with hatchlings, sleeping on piles of gold.

You also see a pile of scrolls on the ground. If you’d like, you can take one to record your travels on, or if you already have one, you can pick it up.

Near the entrance to the cave, there is a huge pile of abandoned eggs. If you don’t want the dragons inside to die, you can take one of those instead.

One of the scrolls in the pile contains a map charting dragon habitats all over Valkemare. Where would you like to travel?

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I'm not really much into the lore, but I do think this change makes sense.

One small correction -- "You enter the cave system of the continent on Galsreim" should read "You enter the cave system of the continent of Galsreim," I believe.

I was just getting ready to type out a follow up in that thread to point out where some changes would be beneficial!!!

Guests cannot see that DC is in Valkemare anywhere. I propose changes in the top paragraph rather than under "THE CAVE" though. The purpose of that main section of text is to explain how to play, not give you information on where you're located.

Main Text - The paragraph that shows up next to the random dragon on the main page.

Welcome to Dragon Cave! Set in the world of Valkemare, Dragon Cave is an online adoptables game. Collect eggs, raise them to adulthood, and then breed them to cre­ate interesting lineages. New types of dragons are added regularly! (Changes in Italics)

Next, there is no link to the actual Encyclopedia, but there is a link to the Help Pages, which is where I propose the next addition should be.

https://dragcave.net/help/intro <<<<< THAT PAGE SHOULD SAY THINGS. It should tell you what world you're on, and what the continents are named (I guess you don't want to update the map itself with text?)

Support Support Support! True, it's not a huge deal or a big fancy change, but it would show potential players and newbies more about DC's lore. Just a few simple little changes would be great.

I'll support this, it'd be nice to work the lore into the main site more.

Cheers!

C4.

Love lore! I could go for this! Only if TJ has the free time to do it though. tongue.gif It's not difficult or anything, though I imagine he's pretty busy with real life and all of the other suggestions we throw at him; maybe he could slip a change like this in the next time there's a dragon release, since he'll be messing with the code anyway? Oo, what if the next map update has region names?! That would be cool, because to be honest I only know about the Jehumuh Desert due to the encyclopedia; just adding names to each region would make a huge difference in the world lore, and imagine how many dragons could be made if we knew a little more about Galsreim! Lunar Heralds are already pretty cool, considering they utilize Valkemare's two moons and their phases in their design; we could have a ton more lore-inspired dragons entering the cave with just a little bit more info!

I am way too excited about this idea.