Cup0fDOOM

Dragon creation and breeding ethics

Since becoming a member of this site at the near end of 2008 I've seen this site explode into something I'd never expect. Granted the things I want to bring up in this topic have been a thing on this site since its conception but I want a fresher view on what the assorted community thinks of:

Undeads

Neglecteds (Not the process in which they are created, but the ethics surrounding their creation)

Inbreeding

And any other sort of grey or possibly meta topic within the community. Ex: Summoning a Guardian of Nature, is it spontaneous creation? Or is it a truly summoned multidimensional being? ect.

First, this is to be a discussion we're not here to bash or play the morality police when it comes to other people's scrolls and choices made with their dragons. This is a viewpoint only discussion one can agree to disagree.

Second, regular forum rules apply. No mature content, swearing, or discussion of illegal activity. If you have any discrepancy if whether or not you might be breaking forum rules please refer to this site. Dragon Cave Forum Guidelines

Lastly, this is just for fun let's not take things too seriously and enjoy the fact we've had this site for over 10 years!

To start, how about Undeads?

I've never really tried or wanted to try creating an undead dragon. But with the sprite expansions, there's something that makes them a little more tempting. I remember back when you could only spawn them on Halloween and the risk to me really out weighed the reward as far as having a slot taken up for a few weeks.

Well undeads and neglecteds don't really bother me, the fact that they exist in this game and what you have to do to get them.

As for inbreeding, it does bother me a bit but it helps that dragons don't actually exist irl. If this was a game about raising bunnies and inbreeding was possible then yeah that would bother me more but this is a fantasy game with fantasy creatures so just a optional little pop up when you're breeding dragons that will say warning breeding these two dragons will cause inbreeding would be enough to satisfy me.

The one thing that bothers me about Neglecteds has nothing to do with morals or their creation, it's that they are so ridiculously valuable! A sicky, green dragon that can barely hold its head up is just as impressive to own as a Gold. Just think about that for a moment.

Undeads / Neglecteds make me sad... but only if the breeds being turned are friendly breeds tongue.gif I use mean dragons for mine (ones that regularly eat, terrorize, or otherwise make life awful for those around them xd.png) and it makes it much easier to go through with! ;3 *pats her ND hoard*

I don't like inbreeding very much but it's just a game so I don't get too hung up over it. Do try to avoid it unless it's a very carefully done line, though, as I think making non-inbred lines is more impressive due to the work required :3 (and no icky thoughts to go with it xd.png)

The one thing that bothers me about Neglecteds has nothing to do with morals or their creation, it's that they are so ridiculously valuable! A sicky, green dragon that can barely hold its head up is just as impressive to own as a Gold. Just think about that for a moment.

I'm very much in that camp as well I'm not exactly sure but I think Negs were meant as a warning. But it's had the opposite effect, it's a rather odd phenomenon. I personally don't think I could really attempt creating a Neg it just doesn't really sit well with me. Sure it's a game but I'd just feel cruel ;___; I'm a big softie. All the power to players who are comfortable trying.

Undead... I always kind of disliked the old Undead sprite because it was kind of... ugly, no offense, artists. But I was never bothered by killing my dragons, it only irritated me when ones that I felt were valuable (unusual code or a nice linage) were sacrificed in my attempts to get them to turn. But these new sprites? Oh my goodness I want an army. So yeah, I'm not too bothered about killing my dragons, but you're not going to catch me, say, sacrificing a CB Gold to try and get one, or even a CB Xenowyrm unless it's the 31st or maybe Halloween (I hear there's an increased chance on those days!)

Neglected... mmm, I want some myself, but they're so hard to get, and they kind of do make me sad to think about the lore behind them. I still want some for my scroll, but... it is a sad sprite.

Inbreeding... I don't really care for them on my scroll? But I will freeze an inbred hatchling to complete my hatchy scroll goals, so there's an exception to that 'rule'. But I don't like having inbred adults on my scroll... though at the same time I have considered doing an inbred lineage before. I may still do it, just to see how far I can get.

What about Vampires? You're killing one type of dragon to get a totally new one (I myself am trying to gather a Vampire army, so I'm for them, but they fit in this sort of morally grey area, too).

I'm generally indifferent about these things, since they are just pixels; I have two inbred lineages, and several zombies, and would really like a Neglected (they're a sad breed, but their sprite is lovely). I do feel bad about killing dragons for zombies, though; the text is really good at guilt-tripping you...

I am a terrible, cold, callous person - I will cheerfully do terrible things to my pixels in pursuit of turning them into different pixels if it serves my goals. smile.gif I also have a couple of inbred lineages that I've made for humourous and/or aesthetic reasons. I don't do terrible things to gifts though, unless they've been gifted for precisely that purpose. And I wouldn't dream of doing such things to real-life animals; my pair of guinea pigs are terribly spoiled lil critters. tongue.gif

Edited by Amazon_warrior

Undead... I always kind of disliked the old Undead sprite because it was kind of... ugly, no offense, artists. But I was never bothered by killing my dragons, it only irritated me when ones that I felt were valuable (unusual code or a nice linage) were sacrificed in my attempts to get them to turn. But these new sprites? Oh my goodness I want an army. So yeah, I'm not too bothered about killing my dragons, but you're not going to catch me, say, sacrificing a CB Gold to try and get one, or even a CB Xenowyrm unless it's the 31st or maybe Halloween (I hear there's an increased chance on those days!)

Neglected... mmm, I want some myself, but they're so hard to get, and they kind of do make me sad to think about the lore behind them. I still want some for my scroll, but... it is a sad sprite.

Inbreeding... I don't really care for them on my scroll? But I will freeze an inbred hatchling to complete my hatchy scroll goals, so there's an exception to that 'rule'. But I don't like having inbred adults on my scroll... though at the same time I have considered doing an inbred lineage before. I may still do it, just to see how far I can get.

What about Vampires? You're killing one type of dragon to get a totally new one (I myself am trying to gather a Vampire army, so I'm for them, but they fit in this sort of morally grey area, too).

I've never considered Vampires really, I've had a few eggs bitten but for the most part I nabbed my vampires from the abandoned cave. I supposed that would also pose an interesting issue though, to transform a dragon from one breed to another. I somehow don't see that as severe as just leaving an egg to die but it's pretty much the same act different results. Possibly, it's because they're so common. Vampires aren't a hard rarity like Undeads or Negs, that it feels more normal to have an egg bitten as opposed killed or brought to near death.

I'll start with...

Vampires - I have one original caveborn from the original Halloween drop. I also have a bunch of others that were either created by my original cb, or found as cbs on the AP. I don't like biting bred eggs, because they might mess up a carefully created lineage. But I'm not collecting Vampires anymore and only bite the occasional egg.. either to get around the 5 hr wait, if lucky or just to throw a nice bonus into the AP for someone else to collect.

Neglecteds - I only have 1; an ungendered adult. I traded a 4th gen even gen Holly egg for it several years ago. I'd love to make the same trade again, or any other trade I could make for a male and a female adult. I don't collect hatchlings tho, so I wouldn't ask for a hatchling.

Zombies - I originally had a male/female adult pair, a male/female hatchling pair and an ungendered hatchling. When the new sprites for the various types were introduced, I released my set because I figured I'd never be able to get sets for all the new types if they could only be created on Halloween. BUT, when the chances were increased to allow them to be created at any time, I started making new Zombies. Only 1 success so far, but I have some tombstones on my scroll now waiting for Revive attempts.

Basically tho, I have NO qualms about killing pixels. The aren't real so my ethics aren't a consideration.

Summoning and or other BSA type actions - another 'they aren't real type thing' so I'm not bothered by it.

Inbreeding - This one is a bit more tricky, not because of the disgust factor, but the general issue of inbreeding dragons for trade. Most folk won't trade for inbred dragons unless it's a specific thing for a particular lineage. There used to be a Mayfair Witch lineage that was somewhat popular and VERY inbred. I still have dragons from that lineage that I'm willing to breed should anyone ever ask.

There is also a current breeding project for the Targaryen family based on the Game of Thrones series. The dragons in that project are VERY inbred and I'm a part of that project which uses 2 headed Gilded Bloodscale dragons. I also have a personal breeding project based on the A Song of Ice and Fire series that uses 2 headed Nexus dragons.. the Targaryen part of my project is also inbred.

So in general, Inbreeding only bothers me when I'm trading. Otherwise I'll inbreed as necessary for particular projects.

I'm a bad bad person because I will eagerly kill my pixel babies if it meets my needs, lol. I'm currently grabbing zombie fodder in preparation for Halloween. I currently have two adult zombies and one zombie hatchling. I have to admit I can't look at the kill message, though, or I do start to feel a little bad.

I've never tried for a Neglected just because I think I'd be absolutely horrible at the patience/timing, but I love looking at them on other's scrolls.

I'm kind of an inbreeding fan. I don't breed inbreds to the AP unless they are rares or BSA dragons, because I know many don't like them, and I'm not a lineage person so I don't make inbred lineages. But I'm proud of the inbreds I do have and will happily breed inbred dragons for myself. I might feel differently if there was some in-game consequence to having inbred dragons, but thankfully there is none, and inbred dragons are exactly the same as any other dragon.

Vampires... I don't do often anymore. I have my tiny army, and I've tossed vamp eggs to the AP a few times, but I hate the possibility of the dead egg on my scroll. That makes me sad.

I'm BAAAAAD too - I can't see worrying about pixels, and as for inbreeding - TELL me these are a sin ? People ASK for them !

https://dragcave.net/lineage/bl79I

https://dragcave.net/lineage/blzNn

As for this guy - someone who studies such things told me once it was the most inbred, in terms of complexity, dragon he had ever seen. It's a 25th gen....(oh and wonderful - the new lineage view shows that smile.gif )

It was supposed to be a full deadline, but I was just too late sad.gif

https://dragcave.net/lineage/73DVe

Ethics? These are pixels, and I'm enjoying the freedom of *not* having to bother with ethics when playing laugh.gif

The only things I care about are "Does it look good (to me at least)?" or, with regards to Undeads, "Does it have offspring on other people's scrolls who might be bothered if I kill this one?"

I like how Zombies look now, after their latest update. Before that, they were rather ugly, but now they're pretty in an ugly way. I originally only got a few for the sake of having (almost) every breed, but now I actually kinda like the things, and the only reason I don't have more is because they're a pain to try to make.

I like to think about lore more than ethics in games/shows/etc. Neglecteds and Zombies and the like feel like they'd be the dragons of choice for necromancers and other dark mages. Intimidating, but easily controlled. How regular mages ended up with them, I'm not sure.

I like to think about lore more than ethics in games/shows/etc. Neglecteds and Zombies and the like feel like they'd be the dragons of choice for necromancers and other dark mages. Intimidating, but easily controlled. How regular mages ended up with them, I'm not sure.

Maybe they were rescued! Haha.

In terms of ethics, I personally do not apply them to my gameplay, this is just for fun. These dragons of our cave are simply pixels, as others have mentioned. Inbreeding I would prefer not to do, because it reminds me of inbreeding and its existence in reality. Although it is hypocritical of me to view things in such a way, since I've created NDs without so much as batting an eyelash and plan to create zombies in the future. To each their own, I suppose.