Pryanka

The Dragonriders of Pern Lineage 2.0

And unlike queen dragons, queen firelizards can be bred by any male firelizard because the size difference isn't so great as it is between dragons. So my firelizard line will be a total mixture of colors and partners.

Got it! I have a question about what to call the pygmy offshoot - Should we call them dragonets or fire lizards? Dragonets were original to Pern, and fire lizards are what they were called later on + with some genetic modification. (Name wise in the Pern books, they went from dragonet ==> fire dragonet ==> fire lizard)

Next, for our spreadsheet...should we only include breeding pairs in the spreadsheet, or singles as well? In theory, since one of the primary purposes is keeping track of the lines and requesting offspring from specific pairings, I am leaning towards only including breeding pairs.

Then in practice, I don't like what it means - all of our fire lizards and olympe's 2g eggs wouldn't be in the spreadsheet till they had mates. That part doesn't seem to make sense.

I guess I'm just thinking out loud lol. Any suggestions on how to modify the spreadsheets and what info we should have in there?

This might be totally off topic, but I've done a lot of online Pernese roleplaying. The term dragon is so widespread that it can't be copywritten.. BUT.. 'firelizard' is unique to Pern and Ms McCaffery would not allow the term firelizard to be used in online roleplaying. So the term 'flitter' was invented to represent firelizards.

Ms. McCaffery is dead now, but her son Todd inherited Pern and all her other worlds. It's been a while since I did any online role-playing so I don't know if all the rules are still in force, but a copyright usually stays in force for life plus 75 yrs. I think.

She loosened up the restrictions a while back; most Pern RPs I played at used "firelizard" and "flit/flitter" interchangeably, if they used flit in the information at all. I haven't heard anything about Todd imposing new restrictions on Pern fanstuff, either.

I'd say we use firelizard, just because I think dragonets are extinct in most of the series and firelizard more immediately calls to mind "Pern" to me. Dragonet's a bit more generic.

As for the spreadsheet... I'm not sure. I'm tempted to say include all, especially since I know that I at least rarely keep consistent CB pairs, but it's up to you.

Shows how out of date I am, lol. tongue.gif

Firelizard works for me, but don't be surprised if I keep calling them flitters.. it's just what I'm used to.

As for the spreadsheet, I'd include all dragons bred for the project. But I'd also keep up with official breeding pairs too. I keep up with all of mine on my personal website.. and I've already started a new page for my Pernese dragons and flitters.

That's really a nice-looking lineage! Would you be willing to part with any of them?

Sure, check your inbox. smile.gif

Also re firelizards: I might use the surname "Flitterwings" once I start breeding them.

Or maybe we could use the name "of Ista" (or whatever Weyr you're from) to indicate they're Pernese? Okay, so I flunked on that one. I should have looked at the spreadsheet first. However, this opens up new possibilities for naming, like if someone doesn't want to breed dragons, but only pygmies, they could create their own line belonging to a holding instead of a Weyr.

On the negative side, Prideth decides to not grace me with any eggs at all. Faerie_fyre requested a magma mate for her Junior Queen, and at least I got neither a refusal nor "no interest", which usually doesn't bode well for the pairing.

Oh, and may we use Caligenes as bronze/brown dragons? biggrin.gif

~~~~

Regarding Pern canon, wasn't it stated somewhere that green dragons were rendered infertile by those rocks they need to chew to breathe fire?

Edited by olympe

There are 2 theories about that. When Ms Anne started writing the series she didn't say why greens were infertile. Later on, it was because they chewed firestone. THEN, she wrote Dragonsdawn and said it was due to genetic engineering. BUT, when Todd started writing about Pern, it was back to being because of firestone.. and she never said he was wrong.

So pick your theory.. seems that they are BOTH canon. Personally, I vote for the firestone theory.. if greens don't chew firestone, they can lay eggs.

Yeah, Pern has it some inconsistencies. I personally prefer the firestone idea just because it makes more sense to me (Pern's dragonkin are sort of similar to eusocial vertebrates, so it makes sense that the dominant females would suppress the fertility of the subordinate females in some way), but I've played in places where it was the genetic engineering thing. It's honestly such a small detail that it doesn't bug me; it's not like the meters-vs-feet debate.

Recap ~

1. We're going to call them fire lizards. We're not profiting off of this in any way so I doubt there will be any IP issues. We can include a "tm" symbol afterwards and then create some sort of disclaimer at the bottom of our post just to cover our bases. However, it won't reeeally matter...we can all call em fire lizards, flitters, flits, etc...they'll still be in the spreadsheet and that's really what matters tongue.gif

2. Right now, we'll put them just in the six weyrs. I just don't think we need holds yet because it'll add a whole nother layer of recordkeeping and we don't have the member base to need that many subdivisions yet. So let's stick to the - [Name] of [Weyr] - naming scheme.

3. There were definitely some inconsistencies in Pern! The green dragons were infertile, and Pern lore uses purposeful genetic modification & chewing firestones to explain it. However, the green fire lizards WERE fertile, even though they could also produce fire. It's just one of those inconsistencies that was never explained, though it does mention that the green fire lizards were a little less careful with where they put their nests and how they took care of them, so the gold nests fared a little better.

4. We'll include all the dragons. We can just leave the mate area optional till one is found. If you never mate the dragon, that's okay too...all the dragons in each weyr will be in there somehow. Maybe the request area for that dragon can say "no mate yet, can request canon mate for offspring," etc...if people want that.

5. I'll add Caligenes into the Brown category!

Okay now I promise I'm going to do all the updates to the front page.

ETA - Update complete!

- Added Caligene into Brown category

- Added fire lizard lineage project information, breeding guidelines, color categories, and naming scheme

- Updated the FORMS. The Submit a Dragon or Lineage form can be used to submit single dragons OR mated pairs. The Gift an Egg form will ONLY be used to gift eggs. If you plan to keep the egg for yourself, you can use the submit a dragon form once it's got a name.

Edited by Pryanka

My gold/bronze firelizard pair Tysha and Tyrion are compatible, but had no interest in breeding this week. Green/blue pair haven't matured yet. Dragon pair can't breed again until Sunday.

Another request from me. (Yeah, I know. Me again.)

I really want to do some holiday lineages for this project, too. But that's easier said than done, considering that I will need outside help eventually. And other players don't necessarily name their dragons "...th of Pern". Truth to be told, neither do I.

May we please register non-CB dragons (ideally clean-lineaged) for this project, at least if they are an intended mate for a regular Pern dragon?

Example: I have two CB Mistletoes. Come Christmas, I want to breed them to two Frostbites to get 2nd gen "greens". However, they will need mates, which I can easily trade for as long as there's no naming scheme required for the mate's parents. This way, I can easily breed up to 4th gens eventually without any further trading.

I'd also like to use this guy and this one, ideally without re-naming.

(If you allow for non-Pern parents, I'd like to register another new egg. http://dragcave.net/lineage/J3bMG )

Edited by olympe

Wish there was a hide function for the forums. oh well.

I WANT TO SUBMIT A DRAGON OR LINEAGE

Username: Guillotine

PM Link: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?act=M...DE=4&MID=199626

Link to Pern Dragon: https://dragcave.net/view/g05LU

Link to Mate, if applicable:

Weyr: High Reaches

Open To Breeding Requests: YES

Notes:

Link to Pern Dragon: https://dragcave.net/view/UW4lR

Notes:

Link to Pern Dragon:

Notes:

Link to Pern Dragon: https://dragcave.net/view/0mY76

Notes:

Link to Pern Dragon: https://dragcave.net/view/9r0z4

Notes:

Link to Pern Dragon: https://dragcave.net/view/Aqtzs

Notes:

(until I find another cb gold from a different biome)

Izlanyth rose and was overtaken by a new bronze Vaneth, sadly no eggs resulted.

Username: Zerhai

PM Link: pm

Link to Pern Dragon: Vaneth of Pern CB Dra'axi

Link to Mate, if applicable: Izlanyth of Pern CB Dra'axi

Weyr: Fort

Notes: I plan on keeping the first gold and first magma offspring of these two after that, I will happily give away their eggs

Edited by Zerhai

Another request from me. (Yeah, I know. Me again.)

I really want to do some holiday lineages for this project, too. But that's easier said than done, considering that I will need outside help eventually. And other players don't necessarily name their dragons "...th of Pern". Truth to be told, neither do I.

May we please register non-CB dragons (ideally clean-lineaged) for this project, at least if they are an intended mate for a regular Pern dragon?

I'm on the fence about this request. It totes the line between a lineage project versus a personal lineage project (the latter of which are personal to you and wouldn't need a group lineage thread like this anyway)

The point of Pern lineage project is to have dragons in the lineage that follow the naming scheme. While it would make it easier to build up a lot of generations if you could just pick up eggs from the AP and trade for eggs that have the correct dragons, an essential part of the lineage project - the name scheme - would be missing. I mean you can take the dragons you do have and trade and build larger checkers, but those would just be personal lineage projects/personal checker lineages.

I see this devolving our lineage project into just people building their own personal checkers, or having to sort through between "purebred" Pern dragons vs. non-purebred....an added layer of distinction and sorting that's unnecessary.

For now, I want to keep the naming scheme a rule. (And I did initially keep Holiday dragons out of the color categories because of the 2 cb per scroll limit) Hopefully, more people with the cb holidays you like will join this lineage project, and you can build your checkers up to a higher gen then. In the meantime, there are a lot of other dragons, color combos, pygmy projects, etc. that should keep us busy.

-------------------------

@Guillotine - I'll add these guys in! Some of them are mating with each other based on their offspring, but I'm guessing they're not permanent mates so you don't want them listed out that way? PS thanks for showing me that I should update the form instructions so people can just use one form to list out multiple dragons. would make it a lot easier for the person submitting lineages and the person scrolling through our pages

@Zerhai - I'm so sorry that your gold can't breed with coppers and remain canon >< I know those are hard to come across, but in the meantime, I hope she enjoys her new mate!! I'll be updating the database/front page later today.

-------------------------------

My two queens are playing coy with their mates and haven't produced any eggs yet.

However, we do have a Junior Queen for Benden - a new pairing because the bronze dragon was rejected by his first mate. The pairings will be updated in the database to reflect the change.

Junior Queen egg in the sands ---- Gone to Zerhai!

https://dragcave.net/lineage/wqQAP

Registering An Egg - Eggs like that Junior queen above can be registered as Pern dragons once they've got a name. You can register it to your weyr, it doesn't matter what weyr they're from. So that egg above will be a junior queen in Fort Weyr once Zerhai names and registers it.

Edited by Pryanka

@Pryanka

Well, Arumiath and Tejiyanth made an egg this week, but it was a bronze. Anyone up for a bronze from Igen?

Igen bronze egg

Edited by Dragonmage

@Pryanka

Well, Arumiath and Tejiyanth made an egg this week, but it was a bronze.

Cool! If you're keeping it, you can register it as a bronze to the weyr once it's been named ^.^

Zrendith and Arnath of Telgar produced a GOLD egg. I have Influenced it to be female and will be keeping it as a jr. queen for Telgar. I have a brown copper mate for her available, if everything works out.

My new green/blue firelizard pair are compatable, but did not produce an egg this week.

Pity. In this case, I'll not add my Aegis dragons to this project. Because I really don't want to rename them. I'm going to decide about my Caligenes and Mistletoes once I've decided on their name.

ETA: I'm not going to try and breed any Pern dragons until after the Halloween frenzy is over. smile.gif

Edited by olympe

Oh goodness, almost all of my Pern dragons have the infection. I'd make a joke about the setting and plague plots but I've not actually read the books with the plague plots.

Username: Cinnamin Draconna

PM Link: PM Link

Link to Pern Dragon: Yisith of Pern

Link to Mate, if applicable: Bereth of Pern

Weyr: Telgar

Notes: PM or post in the Pern thread. Do not freeze or kill any dragon gifted from me.

Link to Pern Dragon: Bereth of Pern

Link to Mate, if applicable: Yisith of Pern

Notes: PM or post in the Pern thread. Do not freeze or kill any dragon gifted from me.

I WANT TO GIFT AN EGG

PM link: PM Link

Egg Lineage Link: http://dragcave.net/lineage/TRhVo

Canon or Non-Canon? canon

Teleport Link: PM for Teleport link

Additional Instructions: Do not freeze or kill any dragon gifted from me. This is a jr. queen egg; I'll keep it if no one requests it. Would prefer her to remain at Telgar, but this is not a requirement for adoption.

Whooo conducting an update now smile.gif I haven't bred any of my non-Halloween dragons this week, and I'll set up a proper breeding schedule after all my new Halloween eggs hatch. It's a good way to reset the timer on everything and maybe set it up so I'm breeding my prizes one day, metals a different day, checkers a different day, and lineage dragons a different day. I do like structure xd.png

Zrendith and Arnath of Telgar produced a GOLD egg. I have Influenced it to be female and will be keeping it as a jr. queen for Telgar. I have a brown copper mate for her available, if everything works out.

My new green/blue firelizard pair are compatable, but did not produce an egg this week.

Congrats on the Gold!!! Can't wait to see the Junior Queen registered to Telgar ^.^

In Firelizard news

Blue Holderman of Ista and green Glimmerglam of Ista have given Ista its first Green baby

In Weyr news

Several Hatchings have occurred, but the resident weyrlingmaster is a little too exhausted to fully type up a report. So...report coming! And I haven't forgotten about this.

No problem, take your time. Also, you can use just one form and put in all the dragons there, just separate each one by line or by comma smile.gif Congrats on a lovely fire lizard offspring!

Link to Pern Dragon: Yisith of Pern

Link to Mate, if applicable: Bereth of Pern

Link to Pern Dragon: Bereth of Pern

Link to Mate, if applicable: Yisith of Pern

I WANT TO GIFT AN EGG

PM link: PM Link

Egg Lineage Link: http://dragcave.net/lineage/TRhVo

Canon or Non-Canon? canon

Teleport Link: PM for Teleport link

Additional Instructions: Do not freeze or kill any dragon gifted from me. This is a jr. queen egg; I'll keep it if no one requests it. Would prefer her to remain at Telgar, but this is not a requirement for adoption.

Updating the spreadsheet to add all your babies in ^.^

Edited by Pryanka

http://dragcave.net/lineage/TRhVo has hatched and gendered properly for a canon Gold jr. queen. But no one has requested the egg. Timer is down to 5 days and 5 hours, so that's how long is left for her to be adopted. Tho I won't complain if she grows up on my scroll and remains at Telgar. tongue.gif

http://dragcave.net/lineage/TRhVo has hatched and gendered properly for a canon Gold jr. queen. But no one has requested the egg. Timer is down to 5 days and 5 hours, so that's how long is left for her to be adopted. Tho I won't complain if she grows up on my scroll and remains at Telgar. tongue.gif

I am after checkered lineages @Cinnamin Draconna or I would have requested her! But still, yay for gold dragons <3

If one of my gold queens bred me a red copper egg, could you be persuaded to give Yisith a 2nd gen copper mate that she could alternate breedings with depending on if a stairstep or checker was requested? I don't mind registering resulting eggs under your Weyr ^.^