hjy213

Fortuna: Dance with Anarchy (IC)

Angela

Her eyes skimmed across the map in front of her until they focused on the Flora territory, marked in dark red upon the map. Scarlet lips forming a slight frown, the Big Sister started back towards the dim terminal awaiting her, lowering herself back behind her desk. With a click of her tongue, her fingers returned to the keyboard--only to be interrupted by a sharp noise originating from the door.

Her jaw clenched in response to the clamorous rapping, pupils flicking from the terminal screen to the door, "Ah Clemings, come in." Angela interlocked her fingers, placing her hands neatly upon the desktop, chin held high.

Jack

It always amazed him how clear the little plastic piece of crap made his brother sound. "I copy, Cam. I'll take care of it." He shook his head as he walked into the alleyway that would be their rendezvous with this Ding character. At first, Jack thought Cam really lost it when he revealed that Ding was a Gear spy until he got to thinking about it. They could really use an ear on the inside of the militaristic and tech-savvy group. "I'll let you know when he comes," he says into the device.

Jack didn't have to wait long. Within ten minutes of speaking into the small device, he sees movement in the far end of the alley. "I think he's here," he whispers into the device. He came on guard as he saw a man about his age walk towards him with an air of confidence and ease that would probably be unnerving. But Jack doesn't fear very easily, but he does become cautious when meeting a possible foe, or friend. He's leery now-a-days. The man came to a stop about ten feet away and they sized each other up.

Ding

Ding had already been around the area for about ten minutes before Jack arrived and unknown to the twins, he had listened in to their brief conversation over the radios that enabled him to catch their names. He waited for another ten minutes for Jack to stew for a moment before making his way towards him.

"That's a pretty odd piece of hardware for a Leaf to have. Where'd you get it?" Ding asked in a tone that wasn't hostile. Ding was dressed in a snug t shirt and black cargo pants and a small pouch that he was particularly happy about bringing was tucked away in one of the pockets on his hip.

Jack and Ding

Jack was hoping that his communication device would escape detection, but those hopes were dashed when Ding questioned about it. "You know, you may be right. Why?" Were this just some punk who thought he was a Gear, or Flora, or possibly Phi, he would've been a bit more aggressive in his response. But since this guy was Gears, he was a bit more respectful in his tone. "Are you alone? How can I trust you?"

"Oh, that piece of tech looks pretty familiar. Something one of my associates tends to make," he replies with a smile that hints that he knows more than he's saying. The Leaf wasn't afraid, but he wasn't being disrespectful either. Good, this'll be an easy meet then. Ding looked around him in an exaggerated fashion to show that he was alone in response to the first question. "Nobody here except you and me, man. And your brother when he comes around."

"Good. You're both on time," came a voice that caused the two to look at Cameron who was idly straightening out his button-up shirt, Cam nodded at his brother. "Are we good to go?" he asked him.

Speak of the devil and he shall appear. To the second question, he stares directly at Jack and at Cam when he came to a stop a few yards away, and he speaks with a frank tone. "Hell of it is, you can't trust me 100%. But if I came to snatch up, or kill, a couple of goons who are getting a little big for their buttons, you would never have seen my face. So, want to dance with the devil? If we're going to talk, we should go somewhere else. We're too exposed out here."

Jack looks at his brother and gives him a shadow of a smile. "I think that's as good as we're going to get, bro. But he's right. We can at least talk to him."

Vipra

Easing the door open, Vipra shut it carefully behind her and moved to stand a few feet away from Angela's desk, bowing her head in deference to the other woman. "I am here to report on my latest job," she started, keeping her gaze on the ground. After a moment, she looked up to make brief eye contact before returning her eyes to her feet. "Two weeks ago, I was sent to the edges of Flora territory to follow a possible lead about information surrounding the Buffalo area. It had been suspected that there was something more to the Phi than we originally believed. My objective was to trail a man who could possibly lead us to that information and learn what I could.

"My target was one Joseph Stein, a man suspected to be part of the Phi and one of their main information collectors. Of course, that was unconfirmed rumor. I went through Flora territory using an altered appearance, posing as a drug-addicted Leaf. In that position, I was able to comb through an underground network until I found my target. Stein proved to be a good lead." For a heartbeat, Vipra paused, hoping she could phrase her next words carefully enough. "He gave me information that suggested a general home location for the Phi around Buffalo. However, before I could confirm this information..."

She trailed off, growing still as she braced for an unpleasant reaction. "Stein was killed before I could secure accurate intelligence," she finished. Keeping her gaze on the ground, Vipra clasped her hands behind her back, hiding her fidgeting fingers.

Cam

Flicking his hazel gaze down then up, Cameron briefly examined the Gear spy before responding. "Side door. The building's empty," he stated simply. "After you." Motioning to Ding, he let the stranger go first before stepping inside himself, leaving Jack to bring up the rear. Inside, the building was spacious and hadn't been touched in years. Debris dotted the floor, piles of broken beams or stripped equipment haphazardly thrown about. Everything was covered in dust.

Thin streams of light struggled to shine through the boarded, filthy windows or cracks in the structure. There was a faded stench of decaying flesh but the distinct sound of rats led Cam to believe the body was likely disposed of. Pushing it to the back of his mind, Cameron quickly looked around before fixating on Ding once more. "Alright. So, you're clean. You know what it is I want. As a spy for the Gears, you can be a very valuable player. But why are you interested?" he questioned, keeping his voice low so it didn't echo through the neglected building. "As you stated, we're a pair of Leaves with ambitions that are too big for our wellbeing. What's it matter to you?"

Jessie

After Cameron had left, Jessie vacated the living room and entered Vicky's. It was, perhaps, the cheeriest place in her little home. While the living room was nice to be in, her daughter's bedroom was her favorite. Cam had succeeded in getting bright paints that now decorated the walls in a random but exciting pattern. A handmade mobile with stars, birds, and planets hung from the ceiling above Vicky's bed. "Vicky, honey, it's time to wake up," she cooed.

Smoothing her daughter's curly hair back, Jessie gently scooped the two-year old up, causing the child to stir from her nap. "Mommy has an errand to run and no one to babysit so you'll have to come with," she hummed, faintly rocking her arms to coax Vicky awake. Glancing at the other side of the room, Jessie shifted her daughter to free one arm. Patting the side of her leg, she called to the dog that was curled up on a cushion.

The canine lifted his head, pointed ears perking. Fluffed tail swaying, the dog got up and trotted over. Tyson was a large dog, coming up to Jessie's hip and weighing something around a 120 pounds. Much of that was from the stocky build of muscles he possessed but also from the amount of fluff on his body. His muzzle was long and rectangular, adding to the imposing appearance. The dark gray and white fur softened the look to a degree. When it boiled down to his behavior, he was too much of a cuddling goof to seem like a threat.

But he didn't take well to strangers nor large crowds. Which made him ideal protection in Jessie's mind. Stroking the back of his neck with her free hand, she grabbed out the stroller her fiancé had scavenged and restored. Buckling Vicky in, Jessie grabbed her coat off the back of a wobbly dining chair and slipped it on before making her way out.

Tyson preceded her, waiting patiently outside as she pushed Vicky's stroller past the threshold. Closing and locking the door behind her, she double checked that she had everything she needed before continuing on. Vicky was still napping, not making a fuss in her seat. She was grateful for that.

As she walked, the streets became a little more congested with people and Tyson pressed his flank against her leg. To comfort himself or her, she was sure it was both. Keeping to herself, Jessie only waved to the Leaves that she knew and nodded in acknowledgement to some of the Flora members she could identify.

She eventually stepped onto a familiar route and looked around. Now, if her timing was right...

Ah, there. She spotted the man she was looking for, talking to another individual. Carefully, she approached him. "Good afternoon, Ted," she greeted. Looking at the other man, Jessie took a moment to recognize who he was. "Oh, hello Cecil," she added. Tyson, at a wave from Jessie, sat down beside Vicky's stroller, staring at the men. "I have something to turn in today," she went on. Reaching a hand into her coat pocket, she pulled out a palm-sized device. "I'm not sure what it does but a red light came on when I fumbled with the ends," she explained.

That was a lie. Jessie knew what it was. Vipra had explained it to her. Her sister had insisted on providing her with minor electronics or pocket change to turn in to the Flora every once in awhile. Victoria said it was to keep her out of trouble but, really, Jessie believed it was to put her own mind at ease.

Edited by Narvix

Ding wasn't thrilled about having the brothers directly behind him but he nodded his assent before stepping through the side door and holding it open for the two brothers. Cam came behind him and Jack, bringing up the rear, took a few seconds to make sure they weren't being watched before silently closing the door behind them. Once they were inside, Ding moved to a dilapidated table and stood by it. He's smelled his fair share of dead bodies or at least rats, so the stench of the nasty creatures didn't bother him much, but he still wrinkled his nose at the offending odor. "Information is easy to come by, if you know a player that knows how to look," he replies.

Jack looked at Ding as his brother spoke, trying to gauge a reaction from watching his eyes and hands. For all the good that did, he may as well have been trying to read a brick wall. This could easily be a trap set by the Gears, but that wouldn't make sense. They're tech-savvy and bloody brilliant, but they aren't mind readers. Otherwise, he and Cam would probably already be dead, as Ding hinted at with enough casualness that Jack believed him.

Ding looked at Cam for a few moments before answering. "Perhaps you aren't the only ones who want things to change. The Elites let my parents die and the way things are going, more people are going to die in yet another power play by the Gears and the Flora. Rumors have it that the Phi's are getting antsy too. I don't like the sound of that, mano, not at all," he replied in the same quiet tone. "I'll give you what information I can, but it's best to not to meet up unless absolutely necessary. Here," he says, pulling out the pouch and tossing it to Cam. "These headsets are easier to conceal on your person rather those radios. I have one that I'll keep on me in case you guys give me a call. Don't even need to speak loud, I can hear you just fine if you whisper." He pointed out the small node in his ear and a small wire mic that blends in perfectly with his skin, following the contours of his jaw. "You can dye them so they'll look like they're part of your skin. Hell, I've passed it off as a scar every once and in a while. Or, you could just wear something like a ski mask to help conceal it."

Robert

"No, not the base," Robert replied, waving the suggestion off with a look of distaste. "Like I said, I'm going to give everyone you decide to take with you separate paths to take. We don't want the Flora catching on to what we're doing, so we need to converge just a little bit away from the bunker. Send me the coordinates and the names of who's going. I'll figure out the rest, like always." Checking the time, Robert turned, ready to leave.

"Make sure you get me all that I asked for soon, get it too late and I won't be able to set up airtight paths. As always, keep an eye out for Nanos or Spiders." Walking off back into the city, Robert put his mask back on, putting his hands in his pockets and acting like a regular Leaf.

Isaac

Isaac shook his head, smiling, gesturing to a place beside himself. Closing the pocketknife and placing it in his pocket, Isaac looked at Harcourt in the eyes and began to speak. "Funny you're worried no one came. I'd be relieved. You know, less work. But as a Chip I always have work. Oh well, I don't feel like moving up the ranks. Too much of a bother, and I don't like demonstrating skills or whatever. Such a hassle."

Ted

Ted smiled, taking the device from Jessie and looking it over. "Looks interesting, nice job Jessie. I'll make sure to give this to Boss Leader. I'll try to give a good reward next time I see you." Seeing Vicky, Ted grinned and crouched down, wobbling his fingers in the child's face. "Always such a blessing to see Vicky as well. Children are precious, you know." His expression turning somewhat serious, he looked up to Jessie. "Make sure you stay by her. They always leave us at such terrible times."

Edited by hjy213

Chi

Oh boy. Chi watched as Monica barged off the roof and into the stairwell. Definitely a sore subject, they thought. But it wasn't they hadn't known that before. I don't even know why I brought it up. Maybe I was getting too relaxed with her? They sighed. They'd make amends for that later, somehow. Right now they had to think about what to say at the meeting. They couldn't talk about war, of course. Stirring up aggression wouldn't help anyone, and if the Flora got hurt from it, it would only undermine their own authority. They'd only been Boss Leader for 2 years, after all. They still had a lot of faith and trust to build up.

They contemplated flopping back down on the roof, but decided that a walk was in order. They needed to clear their head instead of continuing to laze around. They stretched their arms above their head, rolled their shoulders, and headed towards the stairs. Where should they go? Perhaps stroll along the border, check if everything was in order? They hoped no Gears would be there. Who knows what the Gears would do if they saw the leader of a rival gang.

Harcourt

Harcourt gladly stepped next to Isaac, looking down at the shorter man. "I guess if you're happy, then that's all that matters," he decided. "And yeah, it is kind of troublesome trying to move through the ranks, but it's definitely worth it. You could have a much better life if you get far enough. I knew I wanted to be a Wrench when I was a kid, but this is kind of ridiculous. I don't think I ever imagined that there would be this many injuries. Although you're right. Less patients does mean less people hurt. I'm probably just too used to all the hustle and bustle. There are only three Wrenches in the Gears, after all." He looked off into the distance, eyes unfocusing a little. "So how've you been lately?" He asked, slightly absentmindedly. Perhaps the fatigue was getting to him.

Edited by Chrysophylox

Jade

A single tick echoed throughout the street for a moment as he lifted up the face of his watch, looking around a moment to see if anyone was watching. Underneath, a single, burned picture told him what his objectives truly were.

Jade Ross. Only a few minutes before, he had met with one of the highest ranking members of the Phi, Nicholas Freebird. Most wouldn't have known that but then again, most didn't know who Jade really was.

And that's the way he'd keep it.

He closed the watch over the picture and returned his arms to his side, looking around. He had a few more drug drop-offs to make before reporting back to Theodore for the day. Time was of the essence.

Then again, time was all he needed.

He pushed through the alleyway in front of him, avoiding a few Leaves talking as they walked down the streets. He exhaled for a moment, seeing his breath turn slightly frosty.

It wasn't Winter yet but it would be soon. The cold didn't bother him much though. But not most things did these days.

He rubbed his nose a moment.

Time for work.

Nicholas and Rena

"Not much of a talker, is he?" Rena asked, smirking.

"He never has been. We have our orders." Nicholas shrugged, pulling the phone from his pocket. "I'll start sending out the messages then flick the coordinates over to Roberts and we'll be done."

"Let's get home soon. Charles will be worried sick." Rena patted his shoulder.

"I doubt it. He's probably having fun with Nancy and her family." Nick replied. "But, yes... let's get home."

The two of them departed from the Stone, wondering exactly HOW tomorrow would go.

Robert

Running through maps and what he could gather about Flora patrols, Robert began to think of the best ways the Phi members could get their way out of Buffalo. He didn't have a list of the people going yet, but he might as well get a start by doing it for Nicholas and Rena. What would he do in between though? Wasting time was always his least favorite activity. There are so many things he could do with free time (not that any time was free time) that he couldn't figure out what. Maybe go outside of Buffalo for a bit, create a denser information network in other parts of Fortuna. It's never good to have most of our people here, when they could be spotted more easily.

I really should make sure we spread out more. We're not a gang that needs a concentrated force. It's better to be spread out and somewhat invisible than somewhat concentrated in one area and vulnerable.

Nodding to himself, Robert checked his watch then his phone, eagerly waiting for the list of Phi members to go on the trip. After this, after this. One impossible task after another. That's the way of Fortuna.

Isaac

"Well you know, same old same old. Hard to actually do anything different around here. In a way I kind of miss the lack of organization in the early years. The chaos was kind of fun, and interesting. I remember this old guy I used to hang out with. Probably dead now. But he had a bunch of cool war stories. I'd act them out with other kids, since we didn't have much else to do. This was in the south, before Neo and I got here in Gears territory." After a moment of thought, Isaac added, "Actually, I was probably able to do all that stuff because of Neo. I never really did know what she did every day. Eh, oh well. I probably sound boring and maybe even blasphemous talking about the chaotic old days of Fortuna."

Crossing his arms, Isaac shrugged before grinning at Harcourt. "You gonna turn me in for my comments, bro?"

Edited by hjy213

Harcourt

Harcourt chuckled. "Nah, I'm not gonna do that. It's not like you're speaking out against the Gears. Just reminiscing, that's all. I think I've always been in the Gears. Chaos meant a lot more freedom, of course, but it was dangerous too," Harcourt countered. "Less rules, or none at all...that just means people can kill and pillage whenever they want." Of course it wasn't like anyone actually did anything bad. People just want to live with their families in peace. He wondered where his family was. Ah...that just brought up sad feelings. "I did wander a bit after coming from, well, former China. My family was scattered though, and I joined the Gears because they were the closest to the Elite." He cleared his throat, blinking rapidly and quickly glancing upwards to get rid of impending tears. His hands were still in his pockets, but now they were clenched tightly. Sighing, he forced himself to relax.

Isaac

"Ah, really? I didn't necessarily grow up with the Elite values, though my sister definitely tried to instill them. I really only joined the Gears because she told me to. To be quite honest I would love to just be a Leaf, but hey, can't get everything I want. Can't really get out of this now, so I might as well stay as a Chip." After a moment, Isaac continued, wanting to talk rather than actually do his job of patrolling. It's not like people actually dare to do anything without the permission of the Gears anymore. "Have you tried looking for your family here?"

Harcourt

"My mother was Alpha, but my dad was Elite. I'm not sure about being a Leaf," Harcourt admitted. "It seems tough, always having to...I guess suck up to the gang you're living with. It may seem free, but you can't make your own rules. Always gotta follow someone else's." At Isaac's question about family, Harcourt replied, "Yeah, I was working with the Phi on my own so I could get some information on them, but so far I haven't found any leads." He glanced downwards and then back up. "My dad's got a ridiculously common last name, though, so that might be part of the reason. But my mother's surname is pretty uncommon, and my sisters go by a hyphenated surname. I don’t know what could be taking them so long, unless..." He didn't want to hear about the "unless." "Maybe it's just because I'm a Gear," he said, trying valiantly to bring the conversation back to its previous lightheartedness.

Chi

Chi still hadn't thought of any ideas of what they were going to say at the meeting. Instead, they had circled back to their apartment to grab a pack of smokes. Jogging back down the stairs, they headed for the Flora-Gear border again, slightly out of breath. I need to start exercising again, they thought glumly. Can't lose these abs. They smirked to themself and shook a cigarette from the box, sticking it in their mouth and striking a match to light it with. Taking a deep inhale, they blew a few smoke rings and set out again. They really hoped they wouldn't run into any Gears along the way. Nor any Flora, for that matter. They just wanted to be alone. Maybe I can just find a rooftop again. Ah, didn't I find a nice spot near the border in case of a turf war? That reminds me...I should probably practice my shooting soon. Can't afford to let that get rusty.

Isaac

Isaac shrugged. "Yeah maybe. I doubt the Phi would want to help a guy from the Gears so easily. I hear their purpose is to gain the trust of Leaves, so why would they even help a Gear who probably won't switch sides all that easily, you know? But whatever." Patting Harcourt's back and smiling, Isaac went on, "You do you, maybe you'll find your family again. It was supposedly a 'small world' before, and now it's even smaller! Less of a pool of people to look through, I'm sure you'll find something if you investigate hard enough. Turn into that Holmes guy, I'll even be your Watson!" Isaac then suddenly shook his head, his expression going from cheery to "Oh god what did I just say" in an instant. "Oh wait actually no, I don't feel like putting in too much effort. Don't take that seriously though, I'm just a lazy dude."

Harcourt

Harcourt smiled slightly. "Yeah, I'm sure they're still out there somewhere. Fortuna's only so big. I'm gonna run into them eventually. In fact, I wonder why I haven't already..." That probably wasn't the best direction to go in. At Isaac's Watson and Holmes line, Harcourt snorted. "Watson and Holmes, huh? One of the best combinations known to man. Classic duo." Harcourt's grin widened. "That would be fun, but it's not like we can really investigate much. We probably don't have the authority or powers to search through any records or anything." He glanced over at Isaac. "But don't worry, I'm not gonna make you do anything."

Cam

Catching the pouch, Cam pulled it open and dumped its contents into his palm. Tossing the now-empty pouch back to Ding, he briefly examined the minuscule device, passing one over to his brother. "Useful," Cam stated simply. "Hopefully, if all goes right, no one will need to see another fight," he commented. Shaking his head, he pursed his lips in thought. "Elites killed your family? Were you Alpha, Locu?" he asked, mildly curious.

Jessie

Nodding slightly, Jessie made a small dismissive wave with her hand. "That's not necessary," she replied out of habit. In all fairness, she would prefer to not have any 'rewards' from the Flora. Maybe a little bit of her sister's paranoia had rubbed off on her but, Jessie wanted to avoid any additional risk of 'you owe us for our gracious services' that might come up. As Ted crouched down and wiggled his fingers at Vicky, the woman peered at her daughter. The child grinned at the man, waving back at him with a quiet giggle before coughing for a few heartbeats.

Frowning, Jessie returned her gaze to Ted. "Yes, they are. I don't plan on doing any less," she responded.

Isaac

Smiling, Isaac nodded, "Thanks dude. The thought of more work just crossed my mind and in an instant I felt the gusto just blow out of me. I mean, looking into the past is good and all, because nostalgia or something, but getting hung up on it does no good too. Just look at my sister." Leaning over and covering his mouth with a hand, Isaac whispered, "She loses some hair everyday. If you look at the drain at our place's shower, I gotta take her hair out almost every time."

Going back to his original position, Isaac grinned, "Don't tell her I told you though, she'll kill me. 'Betrayal', or 'privacy', or whatever. This is why I shouldn't be a big shot. Words slip out every time, hah! Oh, but don't take that the wrong way. Try to find your family and all, but don't get too hung up on it if you end up not finding them. All in good time."

Ted

Placing his right elbow on his knee and resting his chin on his hand, Ted looked up at Jessie and smiled, somewhat coyly. "Perfect," he remarked, right before standing up and dusting off his clothing despite the lack of dirt. Straightening out his shirt, then stomping the ground with both feet to readjust his pants, Ted looked around for a moment before resting his eyes on Jessie's face again. Not taking her eyes off of her, Ted raised an eyebrow suggestively, running a hand through his hair. "Well, if you keep stacking up favors then maybe we can think of something for you and your kid here. I do believe you know what I'm referring to, as well."

Adeline

Crouched down against a wall of a dark alleyway, likely vulnerable to attacks, Adeline let out a deep sigh, looking at the tablet in her hands, which now contained a very important video. Of course, it wasn’t the only copy, because who knows what could happen, but the pressure of the importance was weighing on Adeline. Four years of hard work, hopefully the end result would be good. Who knows what fate would have in store for her if she failed? Then again, it’s not like good things will happen if she succeeds. A slight smirk emerging on her face, Adeline shook her head. The chaos will be good for us, for everyone. No more stupid fights for stupid ideals.

Putting earbuds in, Adeline started the somewhat-roughly-edited, glitching video. Throughout the whole, long speech of the Three Original Leaders, Adeline rolled her eyes and yawned multiple times, bored. She didn’t get it, she didn’t want to. All that mattered was that it was smooth enough to be understood, which it was, and good enough to evoke strong memories in people, which it should, considering test runs with her companions. With one last yawn, Adeline pulled the earbuds out, putting them in her pocket, and then placed her all-important tablet in her bag, which was cushioned with a blanket so as not to make it obvious there was a tablet and various other objects in there. Couldn’t let the Gears notice those items.

Standing up and hoisting her bag on her back, Adeline let out yet another sigh, checking her watch for the time. Not much time left huh, Fortuna? Heading to the main streets of Albany, Adeline assumed the listless expression of a usual Leaf while heading towards Gears headquarters, her route predetermined so her destination wasn’t overly obvious. She may be a Leaf, but it’s good to be careful. A smile forming and disappearing in a moment, Adeline thought to herself, Addie's here to give you a little reset.

Hands in her pockets, Adeline began sending a text (without looking, a skill she spent an embarrassing amount of time on) to her accomplice: We're starting the plan now. Meet me a block away from the southern entrance to your HQ.

Edited by hjy213

Ding smirked at the two brothers. "Perhaps not those who are not mired in it, as we three seem to be," he replies with an ironic tone as he catches the small bag, folding and placing it in one of his pockets. "Choose your call-signs, if you speak to me with these headsets I want you to use them. That way if someone listens in they'll think you're one of my agents. Nobody in Gears territory would dare mess with my Nanos." At the question, his face became serious. "My father was the Minister of Foreign Relations for the Elites. When the war started, the rest of the government forsook him and my mother. Well, unfortunately for them, I survived and I will show the Gears that the sins of the past will always catch up to them. One should always keep the intelligence agency happy."

Jack wasn't sure what to say in the face of this revelation, so he remained silent. Besides, Cam called this meeting, he's the one that will do the majority of the talking. However, he does feel that they can trust Ding a bit more. He has ample motivation and reason to help them, he believes.