TJ09

2016-09-12 - New Forum Layout

It looks okay, but the white posts on dark background is pretty harsh on the eyes. I don't know how you could fix this. Some slight transparency could work in a few spots so that it doesn't contrast as much.

The default forum skin for all users has been updated to this design. Users who prefer the old default may still select it from the settings page, but any of the non-default layouts are going to receive limited support, and will be going away in the case of an eventual forum upgrade.

This bit really worries me. The new layout really is hard on the eyes - I am not the only ageing person here ! - please tell me that - as with every other forum I am on - there will be a vanilla plain version.

I just tested page style off - and that is better than the new skin - but THAT way, it is hard to navigate, with no dividers etc...

Neat, I like it, but there is one issue I have with it (well maybe two).

The white is WAY too bright and I've never had any issues with eye troubles or anything, but this really bugs me. If it could be turned into a more soft-cream color, that would be great. If not... *lowers brightness a bunch*

The second issue I have, the biggest issue- The ads. They don't fit the format and they cause my screen to have to scroll horizontally. How the ads are placed they are really unpleasant and make it hard to navigate the forum easily.

Anyways, thanks for the new update! I hope we can move to more recent forum software (it's part of the reason why I'm avoiding the DC forums, I can't seem to navigate it as easily as I once did). This is a great start, thank you!

okay, I think I'm not going to switch to the new theme after all so I really hope the old red remains a permanent theme. I've no problem with new one remaining as one of the options so long as it doesn't completely replace old. Mainly for two reasons:

1. the new theme isn't really fun, no scroll icons for topics, no egg icons for forums. Doesn't feel very "DC like" compared to old red. I much rather prefer the DC spring actually, it's soft on the eyes and have all the original elements. But my favorite is still old red.

2. The new theme is very hard on eyes (I don't have eye problems). The text seems cluttered together and it's hard to differentiate topics, last post etc. I use DC on mobile and even though forum is not optimized for mobile with a special mobile theme, the default one works just fine. It's readable at least. But it's very straining on eyes to read anything on the new one on mobile, the text isn't clearly separated so I've to read really slowly and give more attention to what the title is to find a particular topic.

I don't think I'll be using the new theme but I appreciate the work that went into it. My only request is please continue to provide support on the old red theme.

Nice new layout, however, feels kinda bright and hard on the eyes. The continued upgrades and support are much appreciated, though!

Edited by Natakiro

Why am I still seeing the old layout? When I log out, the new layout comes up, but when I log back in I am back to the blue.

Nevermind. Apparently I needed to go in and manually select the update?

I agree that I really miss the indicator for unread messages. Otherwise I'm not sure, yet, what I think of it.

For whatever reason I am not seeing the cave background at the sides. I have black bars at top and bottom, but the panel with the messages goes all the way to the side for me. Not complaining, actually, just wondering why.

Edited by purplehaze

I agree that I really miss the indicator for unread messages. Otherwise I'm not sure, yet, what I think of it.

I do miss that Change always takes a little while to settle in. I think it will be ok, once I am used to it.

Edited by ainisarie

Why am I still seeing the old layout? When I log out, the new layout comes up, but when I log back in I am back to the blue.

Nevermind. Apparently I needed to go in and manually select the update?

For whatever reason I am not seeing the cave background at the sides. I have black bars at top and bottom, but the panel with the messages goes all the way to the side for me. Not complaining, actually, just wondering why.

My guess would be an addon causing this. If you disable the addons you have, does the cave background appear?

Or do you have your computer zoomed in greater than the default 100%?

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

The new format is okay, I'll get used to it. However, like many people, the blinding white is too much. It really needs to be a soft pale cream or gray. Until there is a change in the new skin, I have to use another one as the headache has already started.

*switches back to the old red* The new is too hard on my eyes, alas.

I prefer a clean background. The background picture distracts the eyes too much. I'll be sticking to the blue skin as long as possible.

Edited by Rally Vincent

i like the background and boarder change. very nice coloring smile.gif but i hate the new buttons D: i'm gonna hit delete instead of edit so many times.....

Soooo I was messing around in my control panel the other day, saw this skin, and didn't even realize it was a new one, since I haven't messed with the skins before. I love this layout, it makes it look very nice and modern. Thank you for the update, TJ!

I find the white far too harsh for these old eyes. I'm sticking with the green (Spring) skin.

Oohh!!! I LIKE!!

I really do. It's much better for sure... I also feel it's easier on the eyes. Smooth and clean.

Thanks for the upgrade TJ!

I see people will always find something to complain about. tongue.gif

I like the new theme. It took a little getting used to, but instead of just posting my negative thoughts right away, I took some time and navigated around for a while. Once I did that, I found I didn't mind it at all. And it does look a little more modern, which is nice.

. . . i'm gonna hit delete instead of edit so many times.....

Yep, just did this. At first I thought I had reported myself. It took me a few moments to realized I only deleted my post. It would be nice if the buttons were more defined.

I'm trying to like the color scheme but it reminds me of the scarlet and grey Buckeye colors. And I have strong dislike for OSU.

Is there any way the text can be made thicker on the new skin? I can't see it very well, and it loooks grey to me. Also, can the the silver text be changed to white? Once again, it's kind of for my eyesight...

And now I get this feeling people just would rather I not say anything...

Edited by Dusky_Flareon