TJ09

2016-09-12 - New Forum Layout

This might seem a little random, but before this post I had absolutely NO idea that Spring and Blue skins existed. It'd be cool if we got a blue version of this layout smile.gif Maybe helpful for those with eye problems too, as in the forum being too bright (?) Also, does lowering the screen brightness help you guys at all?

Edited by andromedae

For me it's I need the text thicker and the silver text on black BG changed to white text. So nope, just making it bluescale won't help me.

My Retnitis Pigmentosa makes me have issues with things that are too high/low contrast, unfortunately. Too high contrast is really thin lines on opposite background. Too low.... you can likely guess.

@daba555

Go to My Controls and then in the left corner there are options and one link should read Skin and Languages -> Select desired skin in drop down menu and save

Thank you for this. I went back to the regular ol' red one as the bright white is just too much for my eyes to deal with. The contrast is just too stark. I like the overall look of the change for the most part, except for that. If the color could be changed to a beige/grey that coordinates with the background, it would be better.

I think beige or a very pale blue is easier on the eyes. I also have trouble with very thin fonts. I love the over all update.

I'm also a fan of the Blue theme and hope TJ keeps it if we move to new forum software. I find the Blue theme much easier to read.

This might seem a little random, but before this post I had absolutely NO idea that Spring and Blue skins existed. It'd be cool if we got a blue version of this layout smile.gif Maybe helpful for those with eye problems too, as in the forum being too bright (?) Also, does lowering the screen brightness help you guys at all?

No. Sorry to be negative about this, but - just no, not at all. It's the extreme contrast as much as anything.

I do have a programme that automatically lowers brightness in the evening (fLux) and that does help a bit as it sort of "yellows" everything on screen....

I would really appreciate it if we got a modern version of the old skins (Spring and Blue.) I've used Spring since I started on the forums and it's hard for me to switch off.

Also, I haven't used the new theme much, but it does seem very high contrast. I'm pretty light-sensitive, so I think me and a lot of other people would really appreciate if that was fixed.

Does anyone else have a problem with the star staying bold even after you have read the new posts in a thread? The one I am having a problem with is one that has a poll. It is not showing new votes in the poll, but the star remains bold, no matter what I do unless I go to the bottom of the page and click on mark this forum as read. (In fact it seems now that even that does not make it go dim. huh.gif )

All the other threads seem to work fine, so I am wondering if it has to do with the poll.

Edited by purplehaze

Hopefully the blue layout also gets this update or stays available forever ~ I dislike red very much ninja.gif

Hm. It's nice, but I still greatly prefer the old blue layout. I do hope you will be keeping it around forever.

Whoa, that's new. Immediately switched back to the classic original skin. Thank you for keeping that available.

Please lower the contrast and i might be able to have a look at the new layout.

If anyone wants a side by side of the changes:

Main Forum:

New: user posted image

Old: user posted image

Topics:

Icons:

Note: I took the Posts screenshot on my cellphone. Now, on my phone, I can see the change in color between posts for the New layout. On my computer, however, everything is white. Completely white. Not even a remote difference. I can't even tell in the screenshot. So, it must be my computer screen vs my phone screen.

Actually, I feel like the forum as it is now is much more manageable on my phone compared to my computer, visual-wise I mean.

Edit: Newer Forum image, so you can see the entirety of the forum.

Edited by Shokomon

It was definitely much easier to tell when things had new replies in the old layout--I may yet go back to that, since this continues to bother me when I'm looking at the forum.

I'm not surprised to hear it's easier on your mobile, I'm sure it was designed with mobile users in mind.

ETA: ended up going back to the old layout, but I'm trying out Spring. It's nice and cheerful, lol, and yeah I felt better right away as soon as I could see the old scroll indicators once again.

Edited by silver_chan

With those side-by-side comparisons there's no doubt that the new layout is much brighter then the old.