TJ09

2016-09-12 - New Forum Layout

I think it would feel more friendly and "dragon caveish" if the greys in the background were replaced with sort of of pale brown/parchment colours, and if the blue links were replaced with red or reddish brown. My opinion.

I do agree the bright white is very jarring but I could get used to it. Again maybe a sort of pale tan like on the main site would help out.

Edited by Ashywolf

Some fancy stuff you got here. Gray is my favorite color so I am 100% okay with the new color scheme.

THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL. Thank you TJ smile.gif

I'm a bit sad to see some complaining though.

Most of what I've seen is less complaining and more feedback on what we feel would make the site better. I agree that change is going to happen and is usually for the better even if I still don't like change in general, haha but as users, shouldn't we be able to have a say in what will make it more functional for us? I have to agree with a lot of people that the contrast between the stark white and the dark background is pretty intense, I'm just lucky it's not given me any trouble yet.

Also a way to easily tell at a glance which topics have new replies would be so very useful, for me.

Edited by silver_chan

I had to change it back to the old default. The new one is too bright for me sleep.gif I actually hope one day there might be a darker skin available. Most forums I go to have a dark grey/black skin which I usually use.

Edited by Twinstar

Most of what I've seen is less complaining and more feedback on what we feel would make the site better. I agree that change is going to happen and is usually for the better even if I still don't like change in general, haha but as users, shouldn't we be able to have a say in what will make it more functional for us? I have to agree with a lot of people that the contrast between the stark white and the dark background is pretty intense, I'm just lucky it's not given me any trouble yet.

Also a way to easily tell at a glance which topics have new replies would be so very useful, for me.

Well, I wasn't really condemning anyone in particular on complaining, so no need to take offense, none was meant. As you said, feedback and complaining are very different, there was nothing mentioned about feedback itself and I consider myself as someone who is capable of differentiating between the two smile.gif Sometimes though, feedback may be phrased with a less diplomatic undertone making it seem like a complaint, in my particular opinion.

I had to change it back to the old default. The new one is too bright for me sleep.gif I actually hope one day there might be a darker skin available. Most forums I go to have a dark grey/black skin which I usually use.

yep, this is how often I go on forums uwu

thanks for mentioning there was an option to switch back to the old one.

Okay, I'm trying out the new layout again. I guess I can get used to the tiny little check marks for new replies, although I really wish they were easier to see. I would really, really like the DragonCave logo to be a bit bigger... It looks squished. Really squished.

But most of all it's the whiteness that's killing me. It's so bright! I don't know if it's *actually* that much brighter, or if it looks that way because of the background, or what, but it makes my eyes hurt.

Could we have every other post a slightly different color, or get some dividing lines or something? When everything runs together on a solid-white bg it is very hard for me to focus on reading.

Could we have every other post a slightly different color, or get some dividing lines or something? When everything runs together on a solid-white bg it is very hard for me to focus on reading.

Both of those things exist. It sounds like your monitor contrast may be out of whack?

Loved it, but had a major headache and had to change it to old design. NOT Color sentitive/blind friendly at all.

Its awesome, but those colors hurt for some reason >.<

Loved it, but had a major headache and had to change it to old design. NOT Color sentitive/blind friendly at all.

Its awesome, but those colors hurt for some reason >.<

Same here. Too bad, I actually really liked it. sad.gif

Same here. Too bad, I actually really liked it. sad.gif

Same. This happens on basically every site I belong to sooner or later, so I wasn't expecting any different when I tested it - defaults are never friendly to my vision. I'll stick with my current skin and in the event of a forum upgrade wiping that option, I'll throw something together in Stylish so that I can continue to read posts here without migraine.

Will the blue layout be updated as this too?

I don't want to be forced to use the red one since red is my least favorite color.

Yeah I'm switching back to the old default for now, I'm just more attached to it anyway <3

Maybe I'm a bit too attached to the old one, but I just think the site is easier to access on the old layout. My main problem with the new layout is the symbol for a topic I posted in/didn't post in. The scroll icons were much easier to identify since they all shared a common shape, now the paperclips and stars confuse me. This isn't to say I don't like the new one, the old one is just more familiar for me and easy to use.

I didn't think I'd miss the "scroll" and "unread egg" icons that much ... Why did they have to go? They did fit the DC theme, the stars and checkmarks don't.

I don't like how everything looks the same(white, no underlines for the links where there used to be some)... ^^; it's making things difficult to cope with, everything gets blended together, with the old layout you had the different shades of grey for different columns or rows - it was much easier to follow +there was a bit less of painful contrast betweent he bg and secondary bg and letters(while everything else blends in a lot). If you could add this diversification to the new one it would be better. I'd recommend creams/sandy colours and dark bronzes instead of grey and black though. A bit inspired on this maybe?

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Aslo what I'm missing in the forum all the time is the medieval or fantasy feeling to it to match the spirit of the fantasy(/dragon) game/Valkemare. But well, it's never been so and too much of a change needs a lot of getting used to, even a small change needs pretty often. If the colours were diversified and kept in warm, parchment-leathery colours +red or/and gold, it could work well enough to me.

Edited by VixenDra

I really would appreciate a notifications function. Whenever your post gets qouted, you get a notif. It's kinda hard to track replies w/o it.

It would be nice if the forums were mobile-friendly. Everything is so small.