TJ09

2016-09-12 - New Forum Layout

It's probably more noticeable since I cleaned up the spacing on a lot of things, but it's always been there.

I did just tweak it to be less.

It seems like the main difference in the division is the fact that the main post and the signature are now divided by a whole line rather than just some dashes. (?)

Either way, it was slightly jarring to see everything completely different. But I'm sure I'll come to enjoy this sleeker look.

Thanks TJ!

Tj perhaps you should italicize the this post has been edited by part? Idk if ipthats easy to do but it seems kinda odd that it just blends in with the actual text

Love the update anyway

It's probably more noticeable since I cleaned up the spacing on a lot of things, but it's always been there.

I did just tweak it to be less.

Thank you! Much less awkward. o3o

Not sure how I feel about this one tongue.gif

the blue & green "add reply" and "fast reply" buttons now seem really out of place in the rest of the color scheme.

The font & size used on top are also......eh.

And finally, the fact that the "Site Home" and the "Logged in as" lines don't align properly on the left (the first line is indented a little more than the second) is really bothering me T_T - I take that back, they actually are aligned, and my eyes are just spazzing on me. Maybe because the L creates an actual line and the S doesn't, it felt like the alignment was off? IDK EITHER WAY, DISREGARD.

Actually I think the font up top is now the only thing I'm not a big fan of.

PS TJ - did you see what it looked like when the top text bars (site home * rules & Logged in as) were indented to where the TEXT in the logo begins rather than where the image of the logo begins? Either by moving the logo over to the left, or shifting the text to the right. Logo to the left probably makes more sense though.

Edited by Pryanka

I definitely like the update, although it'll take time to get used to the new look, since I have stared at the old one for so long.

That's pretty cool!

I didn't know we have skins.

I'm using the Spring one now because that way my thing has changed but there will be less change to get used to xd.png

Maybe I will change to the new one but idk this spring one is so pretty! Even though I do like the new one it's just so different haha

Ooh, interesting! I had been on the blue version for so long, I wouldn't have noticed the change. But I love that the background is darker, I always prefer dark websites over completely white ones.

Interesting... not sure that I like this new look, but I guess I'll get used to it tongue.gif

(The logo at the top seems really small to me?)

Edited by Shadowflame

Eh, I personally liked the old layout better. It felt very homely to me; this new layout feels really sterile and... I don't know, half-finished? For a moment I thought the site didn't load all the way, or that I had broken something. But at least we get to keep the old skin for a while. tongue.gif

Random thought: maybe keep a few of the old colors in, like how the old posts had light (yet colored) backgrounds that alternated? All of this white is a bit of a bother on my eyes. It really does feel like a template to me, whereas the colors of the old forum layout made it feel... more finished. A lot of people seem to like it though, so maybe I'll warm up to it.

Edited by skwerl56767

This is definitely going to take some getting used to. Agree with others that the white is a bit jarring compared to the darker theme we had before. As always, though, I appreciate all the hard work you put in on this! Thanks bossman!

Also, ooo, talk of a software upgrade? Unsure about that, but it sounds interesting.

Wow I just refreshed the page and boom

It's gonna take some getting used to, but it's very sleek!

Same here. Very nice!

I am one of those who feel like the old layout was nicer but I guess that's just because we were used to it for years. Change is nice ^^

I normally use the blue skin since I liked the color better, will give the new matching skin a try, is nice to see it match c:

Eh, I personally liked the old layout better. It felt very homely to me; this new layout feels really sterile and... I don't know, half-finished? For a moment I thought the site didn't load all the way, or that I had broken something. But at least we get to keep the old skin for a while. tongue.gif

Random thought: maybe keep a few of the old colors in, like how the old posts had light (yet colored) backgrounds that alternated? All of this white is a bit of a bother on my eyes. It really does feel like a template to me, whereas the colors of the old forum layout made it feel... more finished. A lot of people seem to like it though, so maybe I'll warm up to it.

YESSSSS "half finished" is what comes to mind. Like this moves towards a cool forum skin that matches the aesthetic of the main site, but it's not quite polished yet. I'm sure there will be tweaks to come biggrin.gif

The thing I don't like about it is the background and the way it makes the forum feel all squished and narrow. I didn't like that about the default skin change for the main cave either, so I've switched back to the old skin for now. Thank you for at least giving us this option.

Hm. Not bad, though it is a tad bright. If it was scroll backdrop beige instead of white, though, I'd be all over it. Still, I like the consistent aesthetic.

I hate change so I'll just straight up say I don't like it. Lmao.

I'm sure it'll grow on me, but I think I'll always miss the simple look of the old forum.

ETA: It is, however, much easier to see which PM button belongs to each person, which always frustrated me in the past, so well done there.

Edited by silver_chan

Not keen, and I hope there will be a vanilla version. That one will be hard on people with vision issues. And it is too lurid for a forum - you don't want a book design taking all the attention from the text with its page borders. This place is about reading, not art, kinda.

Whatever new thing you do, though TJ, please PLEASE make sure PMs are downloadable for archiving and (crucially) do NOT turn into "conversations".

May I suggest NOT using invision software, therefore ?

Thanks for the new layout! Feels modern.

Hoping for a future "notification" system, where it notifies on 'qouted' posts.

This was a surprise to wake up to. Now that I've had my coffee and my eyes are adjusted, I like it. It is nice to have it match the cave.

A big fan of the old baby-blue that takes up the whole width of my screen here biggrin.gif

Re: message archiving. Is it maybe possible to add a) a timestamp in the filename, not just pm_archive.html and xls_importable.txt and cool.gif the ability to download the archive straight up, bypassing the e-mail?

When one loses the mailbox, the whole archives go up in flames, because it was awkward to download/save them to local disk when they were there sad.gif