Renhart

Dragon apparel

What if one or more of your dragons could wear something that you got during a holiday event?

Now don't get me wrong, I think DC's dragons are gorgeous, but lately I've felt that my scroll is missing something and I think it's because each dragon breed shares the exact same sprites (with some exceptions). Sure, you can breed your dragons to get one with a fancy lineage, name it, and even describe it, but that Magi you have looks exactly the same as the 10 other Magis on your scroll so why not make them a little more unique?

Spriting? Not a problem because only some dragons can wear certain apparel, saving artists the trouble of drawing the same necklace on 80+ dragons.

Click Actions next to your dragon, select Gift/Give or whatever, you'll see a list of all the things your dragon can wear. Click that magical amulet you found and voila, your dragon looks even more wicked. I don't think it can get any simpler than that.

And I'm not saying we should have different hats, scarves, and a bunch of other regular clothes to dress our dragons in. That would look silly in my opinion and there's a bunch of other adoptable sites already doing that.

So, thoughts?

Edit: And yes, I realize there are more important things that TJ should tend to first. I wouldn't expect him to implement this right away.

Edited by Booo

My thought is - please no. I have over 5000 dragons and the last thing I want is to see scrolls with some dragons wearing "stuff". Also - while it might be a breeze for TJ to code, I imagine it actually wouldn't be (ONE magi on your scroll, 3 BBWs on mine and 2 Balloons on someone else's have to be coded to show an amulet, while everyone else's don't ?)

TJ nixed the (MUCH more valuable) idea of a note on scrolls to show there had been trading activity the other day, on the grounds that

Because I'm not going to do this as a one-off, and building a "proper" notification system isn't really something I expect to get around to anytime soon.

There are so many more important things for him to "get around to". And given the work that would be needed to make sure anything new isn't borked, the totally unnecessary can wait for things like sort by tabs and so on.

I think this works in games like flight rising, where they only have so many different sprites/pictures. Having certain items only fit one dragon could help but we still have so many sprites, people would be clamoring for their favourite dragon to get an item or complaining if one dragon has a really nice item but others don't. Also because DC uses sprites, it could be hard to see smaller items. Only large items would work.

I think it would be cool but there's a lot of issues in the way. One of the halloween events had something like this with the potions, some dragons got held items. Or effects that covered the whole dragon like sparkles.

This would be a very, very large amount of work. Even if you restricted articles of clothing to specific breeds, which would cause insane amounts of public pushback when someone's favorite clothes weren't available for their favorite breed, there are well over a hundred distinct sprites to design clothing for.

Not to mention it all seems pretty goofy to me.

CS has items and it works well for them because they have templates for each pet group that they usually stick to and rarely change their line art. However, I will mention that I don't care at all for dressing up my pets there, and items are basically just trading fodder for me.

So on the above note, I don't really care one way or another what happens. I will add that clothes and jewelry are probably not really dobable but tricks and treats and eggs and stuff could be easily placed around the sprite however you wanted.

But, like I said, I just don't care about playing around with items or dressing up sprites at all. I'm a collector and that's about the extent of it. So consider this a neutral comment, as I don't support or not support this either way.

*gets a headache just thinking about the insane amount of spritework that would be needed*

The artists here aren't paid, you know. We only have so much free time to spend doing stuff for the game. Wouldn't you rather have holiday events and new dragons instead of trinkets for a few of your dragons to wear?

*gets a headache just thinking about the insane amount of spritework that would be needed*

The artists here aren't paid, you know. We only have so much free time to spend doing stuff for the game. Wouldn't you rather have holiday events and new dragons instead of trinkets for a few of your dragons to wear?

I think this very clearly sums up the main problem with this request.

No support.

(Yes, it's a fun idea and it'd be really cool to have it. But it's just not feasible with the way art is made for the site.)

This, so much.

It would be cool, but some good community spriters would need to support it in order to make something like this pass, because spriters as mentioned above don't get paid, and volonteers aren't workers and they don't do stuff on pressure, just for satisfaction, which means they probably don't agree to sprite one item for 200 different dragons.

There's also the small matter of the work TJ would have to do after the spriters had done their art....

Shedload of work for something that - is really pretty meh.

Yeah, no.

There are so many other things I'd rather see TJ and the spriters put work into.

Also, we have way too many dragon breeds, with no set poses so items would have to made for each of them individually. and some artists aren't around anymore and changing their sprites without permission is a bad idea.

I can't think of a single good reason for this idea, it's just not how this game is meant to work. Plenty of other pet sites do that, but dc is more a sprite collection than a pet site.

This^

Plus, I personally thank it's a total waste of time and effort for no good reason. It's about as smart as putting clothes on a dog or cat.. if it's not meant to keep them warm, pets don't need sweaters. Dragons even less so.. and even tho I never RP, I can just see me trying to tie a pink ribbon on my black dragon. Not only would I deserve to be eaten, I'd expect every other dragontamer to laugh until their sides hurt.

I'm sorry, but I find this suggestion totally ridiculous.

This sums it up. I'm just starting to learn how to draw dragons and I don't want to quit when I'm just getting started. We're not getting paid to draw these dragons. So my vote is no.

i think maybe we should consider this after more pressing issues have been addressed like tabs sorting, the store, christmas and valentines raising the cb limit, releasing more rares and more drakes, having more bsas, adding notifications to teleport, sprite updates and stuff like that. once that stuff has been dealt with i think maybe we could just be able to reuse the items that show up on some dragons for the holidays like make it a scroll only option so we can only see it on our own scrolls if we choose to and it isnt visible in lineages

This works in other games (Chickensmoothie, Flight Rising) because the items were designed (at least in the case of FR) to be part of the game from the beginning, and were designed with every type of dragon in mind. Also both those games have a relatively limited number of linearts/sprites -- maybe a dozen or so dragons in FR and like eight 'core' linearts in CS. That's a lot less than the amount of dragons we have on here, a game which has been in play for a long time without any items being available to put on dragons.

Tl;dr, this game wasn't designed for this idea and it would be a lot of work to make it happen. I'd much rather have other things like trade notifs and tabs/other organizational help than this.

Yeah, there would still be quite a bit of work involved if people were onboard with it, but I thought it would be up to the original spriters to decide what dragons they would like to have items if at all. I imagine it would be similar to Brewing Up Mischief where the potions only worked with certain dragons.

There are so many more important things for him to "get around to". And given the work that would be needed to make sure anything new isn't borked, the totally unnecessary can wait for things like sort by tabs and so on.

I know there are more important things that should be addressed first and I wouldn't expect TJ to implement it right away if it got the green light.

This^

Plus, I personally thank it's a total waste of time and effort for no good reason. It's about as smart as putting clothes on a dog or cat.. if it's not meant to keep them warm, pets don't need sweaters...

I agree, which is why I said that I don't like the idea of our dragons wearing typical clothing (and since some dragons are supposed to be ginormous, that wouldn't really make sense anyway). Instead, our dragons could carry around treasures that would distinguish them from the rest of the pack, you know, things that a dragon might actually want.

We have all these gorgeous Halloween sprites (and Christmas sprites, I think) that could be used for something like this, so we could have them around all year on some of our dragons (provided the spriters agree with using them for something like this).

Not sure if I would use it, but as long as lineage view isn't affected, as someone pointed out, it wouldn't hurt me either.

Edit: We already have a lot of sprites from trick or treat, easter eggs, valentine cave, and probably others I'm forgetting right now. There could be a couple of options where to display them - maybe an imaginary grid of 3x3 squares as an overlay to the dragon sprite, and you could choose in which square the item would be displayed. That would probably be enough flexibility already to work with most sprites.

Just thinking about how this could work - and realizing I'd hate to see the animated treats and easter eggs on scrolls.

Edited by Ha-Ki

We have all these gorgeous Halloween sprites (and Christmas sprites, I think) that could be used for something like this, so we could have them around all year on some of our dragons (provided the spriters agree with using them for something like this).

Not sure if I would use it, but as long as lineage view isn't affected, as someone pointed out, it wouldn't hurt me either.

Edit: We already have a lot of sprites from trick or treat, easter eggs, valentine cave, and probably others I'm forgetting right now. There could be a couple of options where to display them - maybe an imaginary grid of 3x3 squares as an overlay to the dragon sprite, and you could choose in which square the item would be displayed. That would probably be enough flexibility already to work with most sprites.

Just thinking about how this could work - and realizing I'd hate to see the animated treats and easter eggs on scrolls.

This has been brought up several times, if it helps, and every time, the pretty much collective answer is a huge, resounding no. A no that I, personally, agree with and respect.

No thank you. Spriters are not paid here. With hundreds of dragon breeds, that's A LOT of spriting... and for what? So a few select people can get enjoyment out of putting objects on their dragons? I wouldn't use this feature; it sounds a little weird to me. I hope this never sees the day of light. There's a lot more important features that needs addressing, etc than this one.

All I'd like to see would be a forever-lasting version of the potion we had for Dinos on last Halloween... I really dislike the toony shoe-wearing yoshi-copycat dinos while the badass realistic sprites they got for that potion are so great I'd finally have a will and reason to collect Dinos at all (for now I'm refusing them and have none)tongue.gif

reminder of these to-die-for dino sprites: http://dragcave.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Br...Mischief_-_2015 this is such a waste they were in the game just for a short joke:( I wish I could have them look like this forever, at least as an option(the only sprite I wish ito have options just to have these available - and I beleive no update is possible).

As for other apparels, I don't see anything good about them in DC^^; number of breeds, size of the sprites and therefore the apparels, lineage view thing(though I personally don't mind I wouldn't like to see it ruined for those who do), the 'my fav breed doesn't have my fav apparel/doesnt' have cool apparel, etc...

It's cool in Flight Rising (though for me that game didn't work at all, I got bored and forgot abotu it liek after a week or so^^wink.gif where the dragons are much bigger and not pixel-arted, but in DC where the sprites are pixel and so tiny it just wouldn't work well.

Unless we simply got a way to keep the holiday dressups forever available with ability to keep them forever-lasting for the chosen dragons could work, e.g. the golden wyverns or Coppers and some other got pretty nice recolours last Halloween, not just the dinos(though with dinos the potion-look did all the difference!:P)

Fair enough.

To those of you saying this would be too much work, I don't see how this would be any harder then spriting items for a holiday event (like making all the snow fort pieces for Snow Wars).

Fair enough.

To those of you saying this would be too much work, I don't see how this would be any harder then spriting items for a holiday event (like making all the snow fort pieces for Snow Wars).

If you knew how much work went into the assets for Snow Wars, or Snow Warning, or Valkemarian Tales, and then added the consideration that this would be a literally never-ending battle to make custom clothing for hundreds of unique sprites, adding more with each new release, ON TOP of still producing content like those events you mentioned...

I daresay you would think differently.

If you don't think it's too much work, how about you try spriting just one apparel item such that it can be worn by male and female adults of every dragon breed?

Fair enough.

Spriters have told you this. They should know - they do all the work here smile.gif I said it based on what I know of just one spriter's work on a dragon I suggested once.