Lionthrush

MODS PLZ READ

Please lock this post. I have to many!

YELLOW FERN

You walk through a dark, thick, forest. Branches hit your face every few minutes. You are a ferret, small, and pitch black with one white ear, blue eyes, and a white tail. Every so often, you pause, raising your head to sniff the air. You know you aren't alone. A wild cat stalks you. However, you are not afraid. Because there is another animal protecting you, far above the trees.

A white falcon flies above a forest, looking down at a feral cat that stalks a ferret. The falcon suddenly dives and picks up the cat.

A cat pads through a forest on light feet, stalking a ferret. It knows not of the predator above, a falcon. The falcon picks it up and flies it to the top of a mountain peak.

You listen to the falcons wings as it picks up your stalker and brings it far away. Only now do you feel concern. There is another predator nearby in which the falcon cannot protect your from.

The white falcon directs it's sharp eyes at the ferret again. Yet again, it is stalked.

The cat on the mountain peak stands in shock. It's first move is a twitch of it's nose. That tells it one very important thing. It's prey is again being stalked by a greater predator.

One thought pops into your head. Wolves.

One thought pops into the white falcon's head. Wolves.

One thought pops into the cat's head. Wolves.

That was my intro for this 1×1.

Possible questions:

Do I have to read this?

It's so highly recommended it's almost a yes. But, no.

Can I be the cat?

No, you're the ferret, sorry.

How many characters can I have?

One. It kind of sort of says in the description, and in some other places. 1x1

So what's my name?

That's you're decision. Please have it be one word, describing nature.

Ex:

Cloud, Silk, Storm, River.

Okay then. What is my age? And gender? Will I ever have offspring or a mate?

Slow down! If you don't have any questions, go ahead and scroll down. You should see your form. Some things will say, "Up to you!" Replace those with your choice.

You might, in the distant future, get a mate and/or offspring.

What's up with the title? It's misleading!

Yellow fern? I'll get to that later. Sure, you can scroll down to find it. If you don't have any questions or if you will come back to this later.

What's this even about? All of it is sending me in different directions. You are sending me in different directions!

I know, I know. Yellow fern is the forest, where yellow ferns grow out of the trees, which show a small resemblance to birch and maple and pine trees. Hard to explain. If you're really into details, you can ask me about it in emails. Anyway, a pack of wolves is trying to take Yellow Fern as it's territory. The forest is battling against them. Some animals have decided to take the wolf pack's side.

Oh cool! Can I turn against you and take the wolf pack's side?

Not unless you're looking to get eaten. In other words, no. They would eat you if you did. If you want to quit this post, go ahead and try to join the wolves. See how they feel about that.

Awww. Can I be a wolf?!

For what seems like the second time, NO! Join a wolf pack rp if you're so desperate to be a wolf!

:Sigh: Fine. Can I go now?

Yes. Make sure to read the rules. If you have anymore questions -!!!

Door slams shut.

... email me...

Your form:

Name: Up to you!

Species: I think it's obvious...

Appearance: It's in the intro. First paragraph.

Mate: Uh... yeah... no.

Offspring: I'm gonna say no to that too. Maybe some day.

Crush: This is a 1x1, if you haven't noticed. I'm a falcon. I don't think you should like me. You can crush on people who decide they want to post once on this post. But remember, you'll only ever see them once, unless they beg me to make this a rp. (They aren't going to. Almost definitely.)

Rules

No Mary Sues.

Child appropriate posts only.

Everyone not part of this 1x1 may post, ONCE. They must NOT be me or the ferret. They can be a wolf, they can be a forest animal, and yes. They can be our lovable cat who wants to eat the ferret.

Please, if you are going to be in this post, read the the Possible Questions. It is not mandatory, but very very highly recommended. It’s almost the same as rules.

As this post gets more posts, I will add more things to this post. But that is it for now.

(Just said post so many times it sounds weird. Poooooooost....)

Edited by Lionthrush

...What? Can you be a little more clear in what you want for this?

What do you mean?

I'm confused about how this roleplay is supposed to function; I have so many questions, but nothing adds up! So uh... sorry, but I'm about to bombard you with questions...

You say it's a 1x1, but then you imply that other people can post, but only once. But within that implication there's another one that says those people can roleplay with one post, but if they can only post once, then how can they roleplay? Also, what's the point of the character sheet if you have to be the ferret, and you can't have any family members, a specific appearance (since you describe the ferret in the intro), different age, etc.?

On the topic of realism, how did a falcon pick up a full-grown cat and fly it all the way up to the peak of a mountain? And how, at that distance, did the cat smell the same wolf pack that the ferret (and the falcon, presumably in the same place in the forest) noticed if it was so far away?

I've also noticed that you said some of the animals have taken the wolf pack's side in trying to establish a territory in Yellow Fern, but are the animals intelligent enough (like humans) to be able to do this? And how come the wolf pack doesn't attack or eat them, but will eat you? How did you manage to befriend a falcon that can protect you from cats? Are the wolves that much of a threat that the entire forest needs to somehow stop them (presuming that is the driving force in the roleplay)?

Finally, I saw that this same forest is in your UNEXTINCT RP, but are the two RPs tied together only by the presence of the forest? It seems odd to have Yellow Fern in two places at once, though you do imply it's at different timelines... Then again, the time difference between dinosaurs and the modern world (which I'm presuming this RP takes place in) is so vast, how is Yellow Fern still the same forest?

Apologies for all of the crazy questions, I'm just so confused...

EDIT: Final note, more for your protection... If you want questions to be answered privately I would highly recommend asking for PMs rather than emails; there's a good chance that your email will be leaked out somewhere on the internet, which can lead to Spam and Junk emails, and believe me, you'll regret giving out your email for forever! It never stops. However, people are more likely to ask you questions out-of-character (usually denoted by double-parenthesis), which is much safer and convenient, so you don't have to worry about keeping your email client open and having to sort out questions; they'll all be concentrated within this thread.

Edited by skwerl56767

What Skwerl said, basically.

Also, what kind of of RP is this? If you're not doing it in the standard RP format, you would probably have to explain more thoroughly what kind of RP you want, with the exception being if there's an example you can draw from.

Also might want to stop making so many RPs. I remember doing the same thing as you when I first joined a forum and I ended up burning myself out for a long time.

Edited by beiningtian

I seem to be extremely dumb. I guess I forgot to put in pm me for questions! Or did I?

You didn't, you said email, which is why I spoke up. So um... do you have answers, or...? I mean, I'm reading the post again, and I still can't make heads nor tails of it...

You say it's a 1x1, but then you imply that other people can post, but only once. But within that implication there's another one that says those people can roleplay with one post, but if they can only post once, then how can they roleplay? Also, what's the point of the character sheet if you have to be the ferret, and you can't have any family members, a specific appearance (since you describe the ferret in the intro), different age, etc.?

I understand, it is very confusing. In a way, it is a role play. But I only invite people to post once so that we will have someone to play the wolves, or just any other animal that may fight against the wolves. I don't completely understand your second question.

On the topic of realism, how did a falcon pick up a full-grown cat and fly it all the way up to the peak of a mountain? And how, at that distance, did the cat smell the same wolf pack that the ferret (and the falcon, presumably in the same place in the forest) noticed if it was so far away?

1: This falcon, me, is very large.

2: This cat, a black footed cat, is very small. user posted image

3: Not really a realistic post.

4: How did this adorable wittle putty smell the wolves? The wolves were coming from the same exact peak that the putty was placed on, by coincidence.

I've also noticed that you said some of the animals have taken the wolf pack's side in trying to establish a territory in Yellow Fern, but are the animals intelligent enough (like humans) to be able to do this? And how come the wolf pack doesn't attack or eat them, but will eat you? How did you manage to befriend a falcon that can protect you from cats? Are the wolves that much of a threat that the entire forest needs to somehow stop them (presuming that is the driving force in the roleplay)?

Yeah, they are smart. This post is not for people to say, animals are dumb, animals have no feelings, this isn't realistic. If you want real, watch a documentary. Why does the wolf pack not eat them? Good question! The wolf pack does eat them! If the animals helped them conquer the forest, it would be there territory too. They don't have territories, though. They don't have packs. So, once the wolf pack wins, if they do, the wolves eat their thought to be friends. Also, even if they do have territories, the wolf pack wants it all. They don't want to share. So, drive out the territory wanters.

Why does the falcon protect the ferret? Long story short. Born an albino, the falcon was cast out of the nest. When it fell, it met ferret! Ever heard of animal odd couples?

Yes, the wolves are that much of a threat. They have such numbers they will destroy all in their path.

For all of your other questions, no time to answer. So I'll just say we create role plays so that we can escape from the real world. Not be sucked into it with realistic things.

I understand, it is very confusing. In a way, it is a role play. But I only invite people to post once so that we will have someone to play the wolves, or just any other animal that may fight against the wolves. I don't completely understand your second question.

It seems odd that a person can jump in to post once about an NPC; NPCs are typically handled by either people in the roleplay, or only the people who create them. there's too high of a chance that someone will post about an NPC and suddenly fall in love with it, and an even higher chance that no one will post about any NPCs at all because there's no point in devoting time to it, because they can only post about them once.

For the ferret, the character sheet doesn't make sense to me because almost the entire sheet can't - or won't, for a very long time - be changed. The only fields that can be modified are the Name, Gender, and maybe the Crush, all of which can be immediately revealed once the roleplay starts. Seems odd to have an entire sheet just for that. Unless you intend for the sheets to be used by the "one-time posters" as well? Again though, people won't find any point in devoting time to making a character for an NPC that can only be used once; it would be more efficient to allow people to simply post NPC ideas/sheets that could be used in the roleplay (which doesn't seem like that bad of an idea, actually).

This falcon, me, is very large. This cat, a black footed cat, is very small. 3: Not really a realistic post. 4: How did this adorable wittle putty smell the wolves? The wolves were coming from the same exact peak that the putty was placed on, by coincidence.

I can let the realism slip a bit, since this is a roleplay, but your falcon would have to be the size of an eagle to be able to carry even a small cat all the way up to a mountain peak, with little to no repercussions! Mountains are HUGE; the top of a hill I can understand, even allowing the cat to smell the wolves, but a mountain? That's pushing it. And you never said the forest was at the treeline on a mountain (high enough up to make it feasible), and with your description of the forest it sounds deciduous, which means it has to be in the lowlands or the trees would die from the cold and lack of oxygen. Still too far for a falcon to fly, nevertheless bogged down by a thrashing feline. A mystical forest I could understand, but then that begs the question, how much of the roleplay inevitably becomes mystical as well?

Yeah, they are smart. This post is not for people to say, animals are dumb, animals have no feelings, this isn't realistic. If you want real, watch a documentary. Why does the wolf pack not eat them? Good question! The wolf pack does eat them! If the animals helped them conquer the forest, it would be there territory too. They don't have territories, though. They don't have packs. So, once the wolf pack wins, if they do, the wolves eat their thought to be friends. Also, even if they do have territories, the wolf pack wants it all. They don't want to share. So, drive out the territory wanters.

Oh good, the animals are smart (I'm guessing interactions are like in most animal fansty books, like Warriors or Guardians of Ga'Hoole?), so that answers that question! With the wolves conquering everything in the end, it seems sudden for them to be able to take down, say, a bear who thought it was on their side, but I'll let that slip too. Antagonists need to be challenging.

Why does the falcon protect the ferret? Long story short. Born an albino, the falcon was cast out of the nest. When it fell, it met ferret! Ever heard of animal odd couples?

Actually, I have, though I still find it hard to believe that a predatory creature would suddenly become buddies with another animal its entire species preys upon. I've seen odd couples who are in about the same place concerning the food chain, and those who are buddies with domesticated/partially-domesticated animals, but a predator to prey? Seems a little odd... The falcon would surely expect something in return for defending the ferret, because that's how most animal relationships go. For noble relationships where one animal helps another without needing anything in return, I've only seen it in highly-domesticated animals like dogs, who are bred to do that sort of thing. Falcons... I don't know, it's fishy. Even with a baby falcon, it would probably panic in face of the ferret rather than decide to become pals with it. Maybe if its lineage was a long line of falcons bred by people, it would be domestic enough to not consider either attacking or fleeing from the ferret, even if it was young too.

I don't know, it needs more information. Plausible, but too vague.

Yes, the wolves are that much of a threat. They have such numbers they will destroy all in their path.

That's a serious wolf pack. xd.png I don't know much about wolf behavior, but can wolves tolerate such large numbers? Or maybe I'm expecting too much resistance from larger creatures that can still hurt wolves, such as bears and elk. Or maybe wolves don't mind packs as large as a dozen members? I thought they liked smaller packs no bigger than 5 or 6, excluding puppies that eventually grow up and "move out". Feel free to correct me though, my scope of knowledge is limited to Grey and Timber wolves.

For all of your other questions, no time to answer. So I'll just say we create role plays so that we can escape from the real world. Not be sucked into it with realistic things.

Okay, but I'm asking all of these questions (sorry, I think I just threw a bunch more at you...) because you wrote the RP like it's supposed to be mostly-realistic, only to write several things about it that aren't realistically possible, like a cat being flown to a mountaintop. I would be significantly less confused and nitpicky if this was a more mystical roleplay. I get that you made it to get away from the real world - that's what all creations are meant to do, make real life easier and/or more bearable - but... your roleplay is written like it's supposed to have challenging, realistic features in it, and then it contradicts itself as you read the rest of the post.

Hm... Maybe if you want to disregard most of my questions, you could make the roleplay more mystical; say, add magic, or constant divine intervention of some sort, etc.? Something that would fit without detracting from what you want it to be. Right now though it doesn't seem very plausible, which only confuses potential players on what they can or cannot do with their characters.

No thanks. I don't really like doing that for whatever reason. Do you know the size of a black footed cat though? Some adults are only as big as a child's hand.

For the second or fourth time, this rp/1x1 is not realistic. And, you should not be criticizing it unless I asked for you to. Also, you were supposed to email or pm me questions. This rp/1x1 is not in unapproved rps. It's in freeforms. And there is no reason why it should be realistic.

No thanks. I don't really like doing that for whatever reason. Do you know the size of a black footed cat though? Some adults are only as big as a child's hand.

For the second or fourth time, this rp/1x1 is not realistic. And, you should not be criticizing it unless I asked for you to. Also, you were supposed to email or pm me questions. This rp/1x1 is not in unapproved rps. It's in freeforms. And there is no reason why it should be realistic.

You don't have to use the quote function, but it would be a lot less confusing to make quoted text stand out in some way. Quotation marks, bolding, etc.

Also, yes, this isn't the unapproved section, so you should not be receiving crit. However, you're unlikely to gain any players if your plot/post is too confusing to understand, and people are allowed to ask questions for clarification purposes. ^^ They can also offer suggestions, as some changes might entice them to join the RP.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Your picture only showed what they look like, not their size. Also, adults being as small as a child's hand is not really accurate either.

The picture here is a better reference.

An average black footed cat has a head-to-body size of about half the wingspan of a falcon (assuming it's a gyrfalcon, the biggest falcon species humanity knows of), and it would probably fight back. Carrying it to the top of a hill seems plausible, the top of a mountain definitely not.

Gyrfalcons are white, so that's a possibility.

Edited by Felixr2

For the fifth time now, this isn't supposed to be realistic. Also, some actually are.

We get that it's not supposed to be realistic, but there are lines between realistic, believable, and illogical. You're between believable and illogical, because I'm still confused about everything. Okay, so lets say the whole cat-being-flown-to-a-mountain thing is plausible, but that still leaves everything else out! If you really want to let everything else drop, can I still ask for the reason behind having a character sheet that can hardly be changed, or having anyone join to roleplay an NPC only once? It seems like it would hurt the roleplay more than help it, because other players are limited in what they can do. Also, please, help me with these questions so I'm less confused; I was interested in joining before, but didn't understand what exactly you had in mind or why you have the rules you do, and your refusal to answer my questions is removing my desire to join this, either as a one-poster NPC or as the ferret. I would be grateful if you clarified things some more, or added something to make this more on the believable side and not the illogical/bizarre side.

Seems I slightly misread the Wikipedia page on gyrfalcons. An average mature black-footed cat has half the head-to-body size of an average gyrfalcon, their wingspan is about 5 times a black-footed cat's head-to-body size. On the being as small as a child's hand... their shoulder height is at about 25 cm (9.8 in), with the maximum size of a female being 36.9 cm (14.5 in). This is most certainly bigger than a child's hand. (or even the hand of most adults) The Wikipedia page doesn't state the minimum size of females, but the males are 36.7 - 43.3 cm, and with that range it doesn't seem plausible to me that females could get as small as a child's hand. Are you comparing the smallest female ever measured to the biggest child hand ever measured?

And skwerl got it exactly right. It may not be supposed to be realistic, but this story is plain illogical. If it is set in an earth-like environment, even to the extent of using animals that live on earth, you're almost forcing yourself to obey science, unless there is a certain force or energy mentioned that would allow stretching those rules, but there isn't.

And I'm not actually complaining about all the unrealistic stuff, because a lot is explained by the animals having human intelligence: A black-footed cat in a forest, on the side of a mountain. A wolf pack that somehow has numbers that reach in the hundreds. The ferret seemingly on purposely running towards an open place for the gyrfalcon to be able to make a quick dive to pick up the black-footed cat...

And with the amount of rules you're giving, you could almost just put in the title "Looking for a slave friend who's willing to littreally obey my rules without further discussion participate in this story written by me RP."

Or just write your own short story and post it in original works y'know.

I alerted a mod to let them know you wanted this closed