dustpuppy

Dark Lumina breeding theories

Taking a look at the google doc, it's about 50/50 for light/dark, while one moon is full and the other new. This may mean the more light comes from the moon, the bigger the chance for the regular lumina, while dark luminas are more likely to be bred with less moonlight. What do you think?

Theoretically, it could also be the other way round, right? While more light -> regular egg makes sense, more light -> darker egg also does, as darker skin protects you from too much light. Happens to me every summer. cool.gif

And we know that Luminas are a little sensitive with respect to their scales.

Edited by Fly-by-Night

What Mana are Dark Luminas?  rolleyes.gif

They produce Avatars of Destruction, so it could be Dark, Lightning, Death or Fire. Lightning and Fire seem unlikely, and they don't really sound evil enough for Death, so my guess is Dark (especially since Liminas are Light). But it's only a wild guess at this point.

Edited by dustpuppy

Theoretically, it could also be the other way round, right? While more light -> regular egg makes sense, more light -> darker egg also does, as darker skin protects you from too much light. Happens to me every summer.  cool.gif

And we know that Luminas are a little sensitive with respect to their scales.

That's actually true. However, this only really makes sense when there's UV in the light, and moonlight doesn't really have that much UV. If you'd try to get a tan from the moon, you'd be dead for thousands of years before you'd finally be there.

Theoretically it is possible tho, so nice thinking!

As to what mana they are, I don't think it's confirmed, but given they're a counterpart to the regular "light" Luminas, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet they're dark.

Edited by Felixr2

This breeding didn't result in a lumina, but I'll post here anyway: Male dark lumina and female ember created an ember. Lineage. Until now, all of my breedings have been luminas of either color.

Updated the spreadsheet to include some provisional totals.

Speaking of which, please add any bred or caught Lumina or Dark Lumina to the spreadsheet.

The more info we have, the easier patterns will appear.

The Google Sheet: Lumina Breeding

Edit: Also, please add some more caught eggs! We don't have any on the doc so far.

Edited by Shokomon

That's actually true. However, this only really makes sense when there's UV in the light, and moonlight doesn't really have that much UV.

Have you checked Cirion's and Aurax' light for UV? biggrin.gif

Sorry, just kidding.

Still, it's Valkemare, so anything is possible. Your theory is probably right, though.

Wish I had been able to breed a DL from my DL male, but I got a Fever Wyvern.

Edited by Fly-by-Night

It's just that moons reflect light from the sun, but most of it gets absorbed. The same happens with UV, as it's basically photons that have a frequency that's just a bit to high for our eyes to notice.

honestly would you guys say that the dark luminas are the same rarity as coppers? because they are dropping later in the evening about the same rate as coppers but they are dropping a lot more than silvers and golds

dark lumina egg from the ap ~Removed; please don't post eggs you don't own~ from bright lumina x bright lumina

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

honestly would you guys say that the dark luminas are the same rarity as coppers? because they are dropping later in the evening about the same rate as coppers but they are dropping a lot more than silvers and golds

dark lumina egg from the ap ~removed~ from bright lumina x bright lumina

Unless this is your egg, you can't post the lineage view for the dragon. You have to use progeny instead.

And I wouldn't say anything about the dark lumina's rarity until at least another month or two has passed. These are still fairly prolific breeders in that they are producing dark versions over the regular version. Also, time of drop has nothing to do with rarity.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Unless this is your egg, you can't post the lineage view for the dragon. You have to use progeny instead.

And I wouldn't say anything about the dark lumina's rarity until at least another month or two has passed. These are still fairly prolific breeders in that they are producing dark versions over the regular version. Also, time of drop has nothing to do with rarity.

oh sorry i didnt know

and the cave ratios and the bred ratios are separated though

the bred ones are dropping pretty well but the cave ones are basically copper rarity from what i've seen in the cave

Mmmm I think Coppers are rarer, but maybe I'm just unlucky. xd.png

I just dropped two bred Light Luminas to the AP, both from Dark Lumina fathers from The Jungle. The mothers were a Tsunami from the Coast and a Black from the Desert.

Bred 2 Light Luminas on 2016-08-27 at 5:55 PM EST and got a Dark Lumina egg.

Just bred. Two light Luminas produced a Dark Lumina, and my other two light Luminas produced a light Lumina. Bred my two adult Dark Luminas and they gave me eggs from the other parent (a Bolt and an Electric, specifically).

I've also seen 2 light luminas in the forest since DC night began today.

Thanks for telling us!

Please add it to the Google Spreadsheet if you can!

Also, if anyone caught some eggs recently, please add them to the doc. We dont have any info on them.

oh sorry i didnt know

and the cave ratios and the bred ratios are separated though

the bred ones are dropping pretty well but the cave ones are basically copper rarity from what i've seen in the cave

It is too early to call them copper rarity. Any kind of "phase" will probably reveal itself in a month's time. Coppers breed rare as well, so do trios. But dark lumina seem to be breeding very well, partly due to new release ratio.

Also cave had a complete drought of coppers when they were first released, to the point that for a good while cb green copper traded 1:1 with cb metals gold/silver. Dark lumina's behavior does not seem near to that kind of rarity.

------------

I will try to contribute to some cave stats later this week when I have more time to hunt. What I have figured so far is that they drop when it's morning for me and completely disappear at night.

All my lumina keep gendering female and I can't even find a gender swap. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Amaterasu-sama

I'd say it due to the site not having the "right environment" to support the dark lumina... I'd bet that the dark lumina is in response to the moons or at least the day and night cycle, which has only been  in effect in a short amount of time.

Also, if anyone is interested the dark lumina has the same scaleless colour to the normal luminas. Or at least, the male does.

user posted image

I caught the egg in the AP. Thank you!

I am confused, however, as the father's color should have changed back already, as it has been more than 24 hours since he was bred.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/zxHRn

Edited by PrincessLucy

For the Google Spreadsheet, please put your best estimate for the time of the catching and breeding using the Dragon Cave Clock.

I want to use a formula to caculate the number of Luminas relative to time of day, but I don't know if everone was using the Dragon cave clock.

If your theme doesn't have a clock, Dragon Cave Time lines up with the Eastern time zone in the US. Currently, it's daylight savings there, so the standard time is UTC - 4:00.

You can use this site, Time and Date.com to see what time it is on the East Coast relative to your time zone. (Specifically, it's set to New York, USA.)

Edit: Also, some of the times have "ca." in front of them. What does that mean?

Edited by Shokomon