Fortune86

Mistakes You've Made In Games

Have you ever made a mistake or forgotten something in a game and realised too late? Maybe you missed an ultimate weapon or saved over the wrong file? Did you forget to start or hand in a side quest before it expired? Or missed an opportunity to earn a trophy or achievement? Have any of your mistakes resulted in having to load a very old save or worse, start a whole new game?

I usually make the mistake or leveling up the wrong thing. I think something sounds good, but then later learn I should have put all of those points into another character ot skill. My last mistake was on Warframe, where I chose the wrong skill path. I don't have to restart the game, but I do have to start earning points from scratch. I need about 525,000 points, and earn about 100 per mission T-T

I guess one big mistake I made was in Monster Hunter Generations, making Zerureusu my main Felyne from the beginning and not waiting until I had access to better cats with more consistent movesets. Now I don't want to make a replacement because Zerureusu is my special cat and I love him too much.

there are so many mistakes i make in world of warcraft, it's not even funny

a memorable one was when i was in a dungeon with my guild and there is a part where you have to click on a tornado to get teleported to the next bit of the dungeon.

the problem was that i only saw people do a jump animation into it, and i thought i had just had to jump into it myself

so i did, and fell to my death off the floating platform lol i got giggled at playfully by them on teamspeak and was told to click on the tornado instead

Edited by Silverwinter

My biggest mistake lately is being obsessed with Dark Souls III

lol, joking, but seriously I'm obsessed with it. Lately while playing it I mistook a nice archway as another small area with a bunch of Undead to kill. Nope. Turns out it was an optional boss, and when I charged in there to backstab a few enemies before the others noticed, I triggered the boss and was stomped upon and promptly killed.

Even bigger mistake? Making it my goal to kill that boss xd.png

My biggest mistake is ever getting into gaming...

so many hours of my life spent in front of a screen.. so much rage, broken controllers..such cost..

but to heck with all that because it's totally worth it.

Realistically, I made the mistake of "I don't WANNA do the quests >=(" in many games when first starting.. I just want to explore, but ultimately end up dead from going into areas far too high-level for my new-self.

Aka..Fallout NV's DeathClaw's... Arcwind Point in Skyrim... xd.png

there are so many mistakes i make in world of warcraft, it's not even funny

a memorable one was when i was in a dungeon with my guild and there is a part where you have to click on a tornado to get teleported to the next bit of the dungeon.

the problem was that i only saw people do a jump animation into it, and i thought i had just had to jump into it myself

so i did, and fell to my death off the floating platform lol i got giggled at playfully by them on teamspeak and was told to click on the tornado instead

Sometimes, I don't like Ertan in the Vortex Pinnacle. I think the mistake comes from when I think that when she pulls all her cyclones inwards, I think that I have to stand on top of her to avoid the damage (they arc lightning outwards if you're out of their ring)

But my favorite mistake I've ever made? Thinking that a ROBLOX game about swords wouldn't be played by 7-year-olds who choose Darkheart (has a lot of power, leeches life) as their weapon, thinking it was the best thing in the game.

Unfortunately for those children, I used a sword that was quite a bit longer named Firebrand. The only other sword that was as long was Venomshank (which was considered the second most overpowered weapon behind Darkheart)

You could not possibly imagine the rage that comes from small children when they realized that a good sword doesn't make them good. (I think they're learning certain vocabulary from their parents.) It's like the Pokemon move Perish Song: Darkheart looks really, really good... in a vacuum. If the opponent is using a sword with a longer range, the kid's gonna lose the duel if their opponent can stay out of range.

The other mistakes I made were also related to being too good at a game. I was battling a friend in Pokemon X. It's a Double Battle. He had 6 Pokemon on his team; me, in my utter stupidity of not realizing that non-Battle Spot battles had 6 slots, chose only 4.

It didn't matter. My first set of Pokemon were Darkrai (with the ability to make both enemies sleep) and Xerneas (with the ability to power himself up drastically in 2 turns, or 1 with the item I had equipped).

The first round, Darkrai puts both enemy Pokemon to sleep, and Xerneas uses Geomancy to get a massive boost. After that, he switched both back out, putting in two fresh Pokemon. They were also put to sleep, and subsequently nuked by a Xerneas that's dishing out x2 damage.

This continued twice more until I won. Neither of my beginning Pokemon had a scratch on them, and I was proud.

I forgot that my friend has a massive temper. He was calling me out for hacks, saying that there was no way his Darkrai would have out-sped his [insert whatever Pokemon it was here]. I kept reminding him that there was such a thing as Choice Scarf (makes the Pokemon faster, but forces them to keep using the first move they used).

A few months later, he told me he had installed a hack onto his game that gave him every shiny Legendary Pokemon. After a good internal facepalm on my part, he told me that he was going to use his Shiny Meloetta's Perish Song to win. He said that his Meloetta was certainly going to out-speed my Darkrai. I was prepared to bash my head against my keyboard. He still didn't get it.

...yeah, I'm still miffed to this day. He hasn't actually challenged me yet.

I play Lord of the Rings Online and I aspire to complete all the deeds and get all the titles in the game for my first and main character. There are titles if a player is able to play a character without being defeated until level 5 (The Wary), 10 (The Undefeated), 14 (The Indomitable), 17 (The Unscathed), and 20 (The Undying). Five years ago, I got my character to level 5 without being defeated but she was defeated eventually before level 10. Five years later, she is at the level cap and has accumulated a lot of titles after hours and hours of gaming, but there is no way I will be able to get those four other titles for her.

I have made six other characters in the game and it was so easy to avoid defeat in the first 20 levels to get the five titles. ._.

I love playing video games and I play a lot. This is just one of the countless mistakes I have made. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Natevaelle

I completely missed Letho in The Witcher 3 sad.gif I played on an imported save from W2 but it porobably didn't have the decision about sparing or killing Letho in it(apparently)... I had him spared in this main run...

I also made some decisions I didn't really like the outcome of so I had to retry for the other effect a few times, often both effects weren't really positive:P

I also skipped gwent card collecting BUT in the end of the game I decided to win the Gwent torunament, ofc I was missing good cards and couldn't win them anymore (some get lost if the owner dies during the plot before you win the special card from them). I spent hourns on replying the duels durign the tournament because I had weak cards xd.png so yeah...

I also was pretty sure I screwed up and got the ending I didn't want... and felt miserabel because it was my main run I wanted to be the best (with the woman I liked better - Triss, with best results etc.) but apparently I got the one I liked most.

Also in The Witcher 2 I now regret I haven't freed Saskia...

My biggest mistake was not playing competitve/fast paced games when I was younger.

Part of that comes from my computer being too laggy to PvP or play first person shooters, but another part comes from me not wanting to do the hard work. Now I have absolutely no idea how to shoot in video games and can't pick up tactics easily.

I've made hundreds of mistakes in games, but I think the only game-breaking mistake I've ever made was when I was playing Prince of Persia: Sands of Time... I saved without paying attention to where Farah was standing, and it turns out that she was about two seconds from walking into a spike pit when I saved. Turns out there was no way for me to stop her from falling in. I had to start all over. sleep.gif

Heh, big mistakes and me go hand in hand with games sometimes. Especially when it comes to Kingdom Hearts. I love that game series to death, but there was that one time I had gotten so far in KH2, only to realize something I messed up and had to redo all over again. There are certain materials (Super rare btw) that are needed to create the three most powerful weapons. Save The Queen, Save the King and the Ultima weapon. I had used the rare items or didn't grab them when I could and so had to RESTART the game to make sure I covered every inch to pick them up. It was fun doing it again, but still....*whimpers*. And Ariel's world in KH2? Don't even get me started. dry.gif

I smashed all the vases you were not supposed to smash and had to restart FF12 as a result. Out of the entire game there are specific vases that if you smash them, make it so you can never get the Ultimate Weapon. Well I smashed them.

i can't really explain it but i made this fatal mistake in galaga and i will never forgive myself i was on like level 16 ok

Edited by petewentztheemogod

I have made many, many mistakes. These are just some of them;

Silent Hill Homecoming; I thought that the time all your weapons got taken off you just before the final boss was permanent, that you couldn't get them back, so I ended up taking on the final boss WITH A CROWBAR and I won after a good THREE HOURS of fighting. I found out afterwards that I had missed the opportunity to get all my stuff :|

Harvest Moon; I kept my animals inside all the first year because the first time I let them out, a wild dog ate one of my chickens. I didn't realise that, if I left them in, I lost my horse in the second spring because brushing alone didn't make it happy enough :| I had to redo the year.

Pokemon; Rock-types. Like many people, I spent so long believing they were immune to Electric types thanks the anime, without realizing that the rock-types that I saw as immune were immune because they were part ground type :| I found out the hard way when I tried to take on Surge with my "immune" Kabutops and Aerodactyl. And promptly got thrashed.

Dishonored; Sooo...at the bit where you rescue the shop guy, Griff, from the street thugs, I put down a razor-wire trap to try and kill the thugs, but promptly forgot about it and then kept wondering how Griff kept dying when he walked out of his house :|

Another one; Not a mistake exactly because I did it for science (Whenever I do something with the excuse "it's for science", it ALWAYS ends badly xd.png), but I stuck a razor-wire trap to Pendleton during one of the "intermission" bits at the pub and got killed because I didn't realize it would activate immediately xd.png

Bully; Don't mess with the dinner lady. Ever.

RE4: I had just beaten the lake boss on what I think was my....fourth run. I had kinda flubbed it up and was low on healing items, so I went to shoot some fish. And promptly found out why this was a mistake when El Lago ate me >.> There was a moment of shocked silence, then lots of laughter because I had never seen this before as in my previous games I'd used the harpoon to get the fish and this time I was just "Nah, let's do it the easy way and - okay, the easy way was death."

SCP Containment Breach; This game is a perfect example of what happens when you do things "for science" when playing a new game, but I played this a bunch so I know what I'm doing, right? Nope. This happened last night;

Friend; "Watching me play" So what's the point?

Me; To escape.

Friend; Oh right. And what's through that door where the crying sounds are coming from?

Me; "Opens door and 096 is RIGHT THERE I FORGOT HE MAKES THOSE SOUNDS" .....

Friend; What was that?

Me; "Reloads last save" Death. That was death.

Edited by CharonDusk

The first time I played Morrowind, I had NO idea whatsoever what I was doing. I made my way over to the eastern islands right off the bat, and I made the mistake of saving RIGHT before I ran into a group of hostile ashlanders. The problem was that I was at the point I couldn't do anything BUT aggro them, and I had the same dagger I started out with. They killed me every time I tried to fight them. When I ran, they either caught me or the slaughterfish got me. I managed to run to one of the little towns, but the guards did nothing to help. Eventually, one time I FINALLY managed to lose them, I jumped down a ledge, only to find myself at the entrance of a tomb with a skeleton guarding it. I had not saved yet, so I ran. I thought I lost it quickly, until I looked back and saw it SWIMMING. I don't know why, but it scared me half to death. Thankfully, the guards did take care of that one.

Despite making it out of that situation, I ended up starting a new game and did it properly.

The first time I played Morrowind, I had NO idea whatsoever what I was doing. I made my way over to the eastern islands right off the bat, and I made the mistake of saving RIGHT before I ran into a group of hostile ashlanders. The problem was that I was at the point I couldn't do anything BUT aggro them, and I had the same dagger I started out with. They killed me every time I tried to fight them. When I ran, they either caught me or the slaughterfish got me. I managed to run to one of the little towns, but the guards did nothing to help. Eventually, one time I FINALLY managed to lose them, I jumped down a ledge, only to find myself at the entrance of a tomb with a skeleton guarding it. I had not saved yet, so I ran. I thought I lost it quickly, until I looked back and saw it SWIMMING. I don't know why, but it scared me half to death. Thankfully, the guards did take care of that one.

Despite making it out of that situation, I ended up starting a new game and did it properly.

I've had a few Morrowind misadventures of my own...

The first mistake I made is being incredibly stubborn. By which I mean refusing to accept that this game's levels are fixed, unlike Oblivion/Skyrim, and spending an hour running face-first into the same cave trying in vain to defeat a bandit who was probably 20 levels above me.

(I did win eventually though.)

The second... was being the sort of person who saves over 1 save, going into a tomb when I was probably barely double digits, being mauled by a Greater Bonewalker, and having my strength DAMAGED to 0. I then had to drop ALL my stuff and run around Balmora naked trying to find someone who sold a Restore Strength potion.

Love you, Morrowind. Never change.

So, since I've been playing Monster Hunter Generations but I'm a complete noob there's a lot of mistakes I've made. I won't go into detail about all of them, but here's the most notable two.

This one time I was fighting this monster called the Gypceros and hitting it when it suddenly fell over. It acted dead and all, but I couldn't loot it and I had gotten stuck in between its wing and body. Now this surprised me, as dead monsters usually lose their hitboxes (to prevent people from getting stuck like me I suppose xd.png). Since I couldn't walk out, I eventually decided to mash buttons until something happened. The monster later got up after a few moments of me struggling and I learned that the whole gig of this monster was that it fell down and pretended to be dead only to get up and sweep you with this SUPER POWERFUL ATTACK THAT NEARLY KILLED ME.

Anyways, that was my failure at dealing with things I thought were dead. This mistake on the other hand, is about my failure at looting things which are really dead. So, this one time I was fighting an monster called the Iodrome, when it began to run towards the entrance to another area of the map. Before it got there, I somehow managed to quickly kill it, knocking it back into juuuussssttt before the entrance of the other area. The little bit it stuck out was so tiny that I had to try crawling at the absolute slowest pace several times before I got the hitbox just right so I could loot the monster. Needless to say, I made sure never to kill monster before area entrances after that.

ACCIDENTAL CLEARING OF SAVED DATA

The reason I have trust issues with games...

I had gotten to the Water temple in The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess and had been working so hard to get out, and the game data got cleared. So I had to start the entire game over again. I cried.

That kinda thing has happened with other games as well.

ACCIDENTAL CLEARING OF SAVED DATA.

You have my utmost sympathies.

Never cleared save data by accident, but have lost a few to corruptions.

Masterballing Yveltal in Pokemon Y, because I was new to the series and thought Yveltal was the only legendary in the game.

Then I found out about Mewtwo being in that game. Iirc, after several Ultra Balls I somehow caught it in a Pokeball.

Resetting the entire Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds game after getting so much done in it. *facepalm*

Been playing Bound by Flame the last couple of days.

Only now do I learn I've been leveling the wrong skill tree.