MoonlightEevee

Out of The Shadows

Echo could not hear Macaroon, nor did he ever once think that the image of Soul was actually the Shadow Master. When the Victini did not go down from the Shadow Storm, Echo readied another one. A faint voice seeped into the vision, speaking to his mind and commanding, "Hold it steady." Obeying without question, his fearful mind was too focused on simply protecting Soul to contemplate the source of the voice. The Victini charged again, this time aiming for him instead of Soul. That was good, he could handle it, unlike the injured Soul. Concentrating, he gathered up power and unleashed a stationary vortex right in front of the Victini, hoping to catch it in the middle. It would not be a threat anymore if it were stationary, and he could attack it easily until it fainted. Suddenly, the scenery began to flicker. Confused, he let the Shadow Storm dissipate. The next thing he knew, he was standing in front of the Shadow Master, facing a Victini. It appeared to have been injured... by him?

His mind connected the dots, and a look of pure fear came into his eyes. No... he had done it again. He had hurt another Pokemon, blinded by false fear. Rearing up onto his hind legs, he turned and ran, crushing the fragile device underfoot. How could he have protected the Shadow Master? The very thought of defending the man made him sick. He was free from the illusion for now, but he was far from truly free. Grunts began to surround him, shooting him with darts and causing his movements to become clumsy and sluggish. A larger grunt threw a net on him, causing him to collapse onto the ground. Struggling to get up, he glimpsed a broken window just a few feet from his location. Renewed by the possibility of truly escaping, he struggled to his feet and flung the grunts and net out of his way. Making a final leap for freedom, he never noticed the Shadow Master draw out the sphere and press the button, engulfing Echo in red light yet again.

Still driven by panic, Echo rammed into the tree before getting his bearings. Was he outside? He took a look around himself and concluded that he was back in the sphere, wherever that was. Could it be... a Pokeball? Had he been captured by the Shadow Master and turned into a pawn? That would mean his chances of escape were dashed for good. He would never get a chance to break the Pokeball, and the humans would fit a newer, stronger device onto his chest. Guilt pressed down on him as he thought of the Victini. Him, a bigger and stronger Pokemon, cruelly attacking such a young and small one? His actions hardly seemed to be controlled by himself. Replaying everything that had happened, he barely remembered anything except for fear and wanting to protect Soul. But obviously, Soul was not here, and the Victini couldn't possibly be a threat to her. The humans had probably used the device on him, blurring his distinction between reality and imagination. Miserably, he thought, 'In my current state, Soul would probably be safer without me... I can't even tell what's real and what isn't.'

Macaroon snarled as the Xerneas took the hit, but the Shadow Master sidestepped his attack. He watched as the Xerneas backed off before trying to run. Macaroon realized he couldn't fight all these grunts that surrounded him. The Shadow Master was forced to return him so he turned to Macaroon. He still held another Shadow Ball in his hand. Would it charge or would it flee? Macaroon stared at the Shadow Master before he turned and flew down the hall. As much as he wanted to see the Shadow Master burn down in flames, escape was much more precious right now. He had to think back to Evan, he had to stay away. It was the Shadow Master's fault. All his fault. If he hadn't goofed around outside, he wouldn't be in this situation. He charged the wall with what he kept thinking was V-create and rammed into the wall, freeing himself. Not noticing the shards of glass in his ear nor the blood dripping down.

Taint glared."I said let me go. Those Cipher idiots need killing, but if you choose to obstruct justice...."

She struggled with the Shadow Hold, attemoting to break free. The sun beat down, but the Shadow Reshiram barely noticed it. After all, she was Fire typed, so heat didn't bother her. What bothered her was the Shadow Hold.

Alter sighed. The Reshiram didn't appear to be taking her words in at all, even attempting to threaten her. She had just informed it of her strategically superior position, yet it still attempted to resist. It was a stubborn Pokemon, that was for sure, insisting on returning to fight against Cipher even when it would be outnumbered and wasn't yet fully recovered from its escape. "Rest. You cannot kill those "Cipher idiots" without help, something which I am able to offer. Please, do not take off at once when I let you go. We will be stronger together. They have managed to capture us because we were divided, once we unite our powers will be unstoppable. There are other legendaries around here as well, resting and recovering from injuries. They would likely appreciate your assistance and protection. Night will be falling soon, and we are in need of strong Pokemon to watch over the injured ones." With these final words, Alter released the Shadow Hold, ready to fire another if the Reshiram showed signs of wanting to rashly fly off. She spared a quick glance at the group of legendaries, noting their position next to the river. The Lugia and Suicune appeared to be getting along fine, but the Yveltal seemed to be trembling.

At least they were able to take care of themselves now, it wasn't her problem if they were mentally scarred. Perhaps it would even be better for her, as fear was a powerful tool. The Yveltal in particular could be particularly useful for tasks. It was in her debt, and a legendary's life was worth quite a lot... She would have smiled sinisterly to herself if the Reshiram hadn't been looking, a moment of indulgence was not worth raising the suspicions of another legendary. She intended to squeeze every last bit of use out of the Yveltal, stretching the debt as far as it would go. Oh yes, she would use that debt to her advantage indeed.

Valtome's eyes quickly took in the dark as the silence passed and the grunt blubbered on the ground again. He flew down to his shattered cup--the happy Mew face had chipped and splintered into continent-shaped pieces. Picking up a piece with the left ear and eye, he stared. He felt the focus he needed now crawl into his kinetic pathways. In a fit of impudence, he flung it down at the grunt's back. It bounced off, sadly failing to impale him, and he shoved him down the floor.

He though about his emails.

"Guess who's getting overtime?!"

The grunt squalled into the carpet.

"Ha ha! I know! I'm the best boss you could ask for! Now stay there and take your break! It's against protocol if you don't get your 15's~~"

He took his Shadow Hold off him and exited the room, slamming it behind him.

As he flew by, a couple of Admins not put at a post and their grunts were flocking down the hall. The lights were dimly flickering, and as he could tell by the panic in the Mechanics walking the opposite way, there had been a surge or a breaker flipped.He needed to find Shademan Himself and ask what was up. He dodged around a worker or two and squeezed into the space where the double-doors to the Heavy Hold opened.

The sounds of struggling Pokemon assaulted his ears. This was where the largest Pokemon were held. Smelling the scent of burnt rubber, smoke and blood, he swerved low to the cooler air near the floor. He could tell there had been...a disturbance of sorts.

The floor was littered with bodies, strewn feathers and rubble. Valtome wondered if his game was coming to a close so soon, what with all this nonsense. He felt a bit sullen--he couldn't imagine stopping before things had properly come to a head. As he floated on, the hole in the ceiling crumbled again, and he cast Shadow Shield around himself. Mortar and beams buffeted against him, and struck down someone to his immediate right, but he was fine. Ruffled, but fine.

Nearest the cloister cages, used especially for the flyers, he saw plumes of flame, signs of struggle. He rounded the corner, noting that the cages were, to his deepest irritation, broken.

Nearest where the Xerneas had been located, he finally spotted Shades. He was clenching onto a Pokeball, looking in no discernible direction. He flew up to him, dropping his Shadow Shield.

"...huh. Well, looks like things got out of hand."

He swirled about his head.

"Oh, my...we lost a few, didn't we? Certainly none that were important, though. What was it I saw? Oh, a Lugia, Yveltal...pooooosibly a Reshiram...Articuno and Victini, noooooo!~" He shook all over in feigned horror and dispair.

"Oh? Did I hear Zekrom and Rayquaza left our care as well? Hmm...~"

"...What?"

He rounded to Shade's face and turned upside down.

"I'm not blaming you, dear. But I do know who I can..."

At that moment, a member of the Assembly group came up to Shades.

"S...s-sir...there was a malfunction in the breakers...we lost Zekrom. And we think....we think Rayquaza snuck out..."

Valtome looked back at Shades and resumed his Shadow Shield. He awaited his quiet fury.

Edited by Sugar-Free

Now that Taint was out of Darkness Mode, her wings hurt. And so did a few other parts she'd landed on. The Reshiram looked around. Weak, she thought while lookingvat the unconscious Yveltal. If her wings and body felt better before they moved on Cipher, Taint was leaving--

Giratina's face twitched slightly. Hmmm, curious. Better keep an eye on it. Besides, the Giratina seemed very powerful. No one got in Taint's way though... or they regretted it. Truth could be a harsh mistress, after all.

Edited by Dusky_Flareon

"Aqua, look at this!"

He fluttered over the the tracks and pointed a wing. The mud was very fresh, and it seemed as though whichever bird had made them, they were struggling to carry themselves-

A...bird?

The tugging in his mind was strong. The rush of adrenaline was pulling him toward the forest. He had to go there, he knew it. He excitedly motioned with a wing for her to follow.

"Aqua, run with me! I...these tracks...they look like they could be Risha's!"

He shot up, too quick to see if she replied, and darted up the bank. He was certain of it. He couldn't be more certain. There weren't any other bird tracks this large, of this weight and shape.

It must be Risha, the Articuno roosting on Helus Isle, one of the three distant islands surrounding the Whirl Islands.

"Aqua, look at this!"

Aquamarine spooked for a moment as Soren fluttered over to a set of tracks embedded in the riverbank. After shaking her head, Aqua'd hop over as well, staring at the tracks. A bird? Walking? Likely an injured bird, or else there wouldn't be any tracks at all. Aquamarine had previously had enough birds following her on her southward journeys to notice that they'll fly whenever they have the option.

The Suicune would look up at Soren, who seemed ready to go already. "Aqua, run with me! I... these tracks... they look like they could be Risha's!" Risha's? She'd have to think about this name. The memory came back slowly. Risha was one of his friends, right? The... icy bird?

But before Aquamarine could confirm this thought, Soren had already taken off. "H-Hey!" The Suicune'd have to sprint on the river itself to keep up with Soren's headstart. Running on a current that's going the other way always feels strange, but it didn't bother Aqua too much.

Soul tried to think happy thoughts. She tried to focus on the important matter and that she was here. She looked up slightly at the return of Giratina. She became a bit more relaxed at the presence of her desert hero before looking around once more. She missed Essence and wondered what he was doing now. Soul herself wasn't all that powerful and was disheartened that she couldn't have freed Essence in the process. She lied down before staring down in the water. She hardly recognized herself. Her feathers were a mess. The only thing she truly recognize was that sad face she always held. She looked over to the Lugia and Suicune who seemed to recognize some talon marks. Must be nice to have some friends.

--------------------

Macaroon didn't stop till he was clear out of the Cipher Base. His Darkness Mode had ended with panic just trying to get out of there before his will became a slave to the Shadow Master. Panting heavily, Macaroon sat down on the ground and covered his eyes with his claws. The one claw where he jabbed the glass throbbed like crazy and dry blood caked the finger. He felt like crying at this point. He had just seen the worse of Cipher. He felt absolutely horrible he couldn't stay and help the Xerneas. He always tried to look on the positive side but what good outcome could come from this? What fate held the other legendaries? What fate held him?

------------------------

The Shadow Master watched as Victini flew off. So much for trying to capture that one. He then held a groan as the Mew came flying up. "...huh. Well, looks like things got out of hand. Oh, my...we lost a few, didn't we? Certainly none that were important, though. What was it I saw? Oh, a Lugia, Yveltal...pooooosibly a Reshiram...Articuno and Victini, noooooo!~" Shadow Master stared at Mew highly annoyed under his mask. Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong and this Mew had the presence of mind to mock him of all things. "Oh? Did I hear Zekrom and Rayquaza left our care as well? Hmm...~"

"What!?" Shadow Master asked. Out of all the Pokemon, Rayquaza was one of the ones to break free. He could have used that Mega Evolution to his advantage. "I'm not blaming you, dear. But I do know who I can..." "S...s-sir...there was a malfunction in the breakers...we lost Zekrom. And we think....we think Rayquaza snuck out..." a member from the assembly came running up. He shut his eyes. "Anymore legendaries escaped?" Shadow Master asked. "Speak now otherwise I will tie you up in the desert if I find out a legendary was missing that I didn't know about!" The grunt shuffled backwards. "I-I don't think so sir," the grunt said a bit fearful. "Then get these legendaries to the other base," Shadow Master ordered. "Admins, you're with me. We're going to track down these legendaries." He looked at Mew. He couldn't exactly tell what Mew was thinking, but he wasn't going to let humans know that Cipher was making a huge comeback.

Soren could hear Aqua through the roar of the wind, her delicate pads making only the most delicate of splishing. He soared up, the breeze between his feathers and gladness in his heart that his friends were with him. It was only a matter of time before he would see the other two, and he would sing his song. Soon, he though, he would be home. It was a sign.

Only a comparatively short distance up, down between the groves trees, deciduous fading into coniferous, he spotted a frost-blue figure. Even from this height, he could see the glittering of remnant snow upon her wings.

Risha.

He bounded down, once, then twice he undulated, and he met Aqua as the river ascended into a low mountain range. He buffeted his wings to stop himself, and landed, nearly beak-to-beak with the Articuno. He could hardly contain himself.

"Rishaaaa! You're here! You're really...really here! Oh, I thought me and Aqua would have missed you, but here you are in good form! And to think I thought Cipher could have taken you all that time ago..."

He flung his head back and held it in a hand, letting out a hearty laugh. Deep from the bottom of his heart it resounded, and echoed off the mountains and trees. As soon as his bellowing ceased, he let out a contented sigh and retucked his wings, and bent his head back down. He searched he face for the good humor he knew so well.

He didn't find it.

Hmm. It appeared that she had let a twitch slip through. No matter, the Reshiram hadn't become fully suspicious. A mistake like that would not happen again, it must have been due to all the work she was having to do with taking care of all the other legendaries. Quickly analyzing the Yveltal, she supposed now was as good a time as ever to get to know the other legendaries. Not that she particularly cared about them becoming her "friends", but more info on them would always be helpful for her schemes. Noting the slight lonely tinge to the disheartened expression of the Yveltal and how they seemed to relax slightly at her approach, she concluded that this was a prime opportunity to become "friends" with it. Floating in closer to get into conversation range, she spoke up. "Greetings. What is troubling you?" Following the Yveltal's gaze, she saw the Lugia and the Suicune. So it was feeling lonely. "My apologies. I do not know your name yet. Would you be so kind as to enlighten me with the knowledge of it?" She continued, redirecting her gaze back to the Yveltal. Her face was not particularly suited to positive expressions, often making them look menacing and sinister. As such, she maintained a perfect poker face most of the time, including now. Of course, she softened it when she began speaking to the Yveltal, as even her ordinary face was intimidating enough. Intimidation was not well suited to the endeavor of making "friends".

The entire conversation had been mapped out in her mind already, however, despite her kindness being engineered, it looked far from it. Alter was quite a skilled actor, able to produce expressions, tones, and even body language hints barely discernable from the genuine thing. Her mastery over acting and emotions had been trained by herself during her time in the Distortion World, learned from countless years of observing humans and Pokemon alike. Her speech was a little formal, yes, but she saw no need to correct that. She would play the "cold but caring underneath" character, suited as it was to her natural behavior. Her underlying emotions never seeped through her perfect facade, her every move being calculated to the best of her abilities and knowledge. As a plus, she had an advantage in her interactions with the Yveltal. They were both outcasts if she recalled correctly, scorned and feared by most for what they did. She would capitalize on that, using "friendship" to cover small favors while saving the debt for later use. It was perfect.

Soul looked up at Giratina as she hovered next to her. "Greetings. What is troubling you?" Before Soul had a chance to speak, the Giratina must have noticed her longing as she looked at the Lugia and Suicune. "My apologies. I do not know your name yet. Would you be so kind as to enlighten me with the knowledge of it?" Soul looked at the Giratina in surprise. She wanted to know her name? Not to many Pokémon were willing to walk up to her and ask that. "I-I'm Soul," Soul replied softly enough so only Giratina could hear. She stared at the Giratina, unsure of what to do or say next. She didn't have really any interaction other then Essence. "What's your name?" Her talons started to dig into the dirt, wondering if she asked the right thing. Before she slept, she tried to be friendly towards the other Pokemon, but they only sneered and jabbed at her powers telling her she shouldn't belong on this world.

It wasn't her fault she brought death. But those comments made her lose confidence in herself. There was only one who stood by her and that was Essence. Giratina must be super friendly otherwise she would have died in the desert. She had a small gut feeling for a split second that this Pokémon couldn't be trusted but if this Pokémon couldn't be trusted, then why would it save her and cared for her? Soul's heart felt light as she realized she had possibly made a friend

Ah. So this Soul was female, judging from the sound of its voice. Noticing the tension in Soul's talons, she gave as best a gentle smile as her face would allow. "I am Alter. Please, do not fear me. My facial structure is not suited to positive expressions, but I do not mean any harm. I know that your species is feared for its ability to drain life. I too am an outcast. Long ago, my brothers and sisters banished me to the Distortion World, cursing me with an eternity of solitude. But it did not stop there. Their constant battling using the forces of time and space destroyed my new home, adding insult to injury. I rescued you because I felt you were a kindred soul, feared by others and insulted." It was all a lie. She felt nothing in her cold heart for this Yveltal, her kindness having died out long ago, replaced by the desire for revenge. All these Pokemon and humans were mere stepping stones in the path to her ultimate revenge, replaceable pawns who were easily manipulated. The only thing she cared about was making those who had wronged her long ago pay. She was careful not to let this show, keeping her act seamless and detection-proof.

"Tell me, did you ever make a friend?" Alter continued, letting a look of sadness and slight loneliness come into her eyes. She knew Xerneas was the opposite of Yveltal, and she hoped that this question would reveal whether or not she was friendly with him. There were two possibilities, either they were close and Xerneas tried to counteract her effects and explain her loneliness to the other Pokemon, or Xerneas scorned her for her ability which juxtaposed his own so strongly. Xerneas could hate her for taking the life he worked so hard to create, but they could also see past her ability and notice her true intent. She must know for her manipulation to continue, she couldn't risk running into Xerneas and accidentally offending her. But at the same time, she had to make sure Xerneas did not sense her true intentions. His innate connection with life energy would reveal her underlying spirit and he would not hesitate to make it know. Then again, she could always blame it on her status as a Shadow Pokemon. She actually rather enjoyed being a Shadow Pokemon, the battle rage gave her greater power and energy while still letting her remain calculating and precise. Plus, it gave her a handy excuse for any accidental slip-ups, not that she would make any.

Alter. The name if the Giratina was Alter. Soul's heart raced with excitement as Alter explained the reason why she rescued her. A kindred soul. Her heart gripped in horror as Alter explained how her home got destroyed. "How awful," Soul said. "Why would they banish you just to destroy your home?" Those Pokemon that did that sounded terrible. Soul paused when that question came out of Alter. Friend? Her feathers flattened and she seemed a bit smaller then normal. "I only had one friend and that was Essence," Soul said. "He tried to convince Pokemon I wasn't who they thought I was. He restored everything I destroyed. He even tried to go to great lengths to protect me from Cipher, even telling me about Barry." From what Soul could understand, she had a friend and Alter did not. She didnt even notice the fact she mentioned another name. "If you want, I can be your friend."

Aquamarine'd note a slightly red tinge to the water next to her, floating downstream. She'd shudder, just for a moment, before looking back towards the Lugia's soaring form. It's honestly pretty awe-inspiring from the ground. No wonder humanity seemed to worship such a creature.

Aqua shook her head, looking straight forward. The river seemed to be going upwards at this point, forcing her to hop. But it's nothing a Suicune can't handle! Going upstream just carries these kinds of little obstacles. It's only a minor inconvenience, really.

She'd glance towards the trees. As oaks and maples started to fade into pines and firs, Aquamarine looked up to see Soren starting his descent. Only now did she pause to look in front of her. An Articuno... was that Risha? It's been an awfully long time since she's seen any sort of legendary bird. If there was time to stop in her duties, it'd be perfectly possible to see Soren regularly. Aqua'd take a moment to remind herself that those thoughts can wait until later.

"Rishaaaa! You're here! You're really...really here! Oh, I thought me and Aqua would have missed you, but here you are in good form! And to think I thought Cipher could have taken you all that time ago..." Aquamarine would wince slightly from Soren's bellowing. He's happy, at least. She'd sigh, but it'd eventually turn into a small chuckle itself. The Suicune would turn back to the two love?birds, noting the expression on Soren's face. Was that surprise?

...that isn't right, is it?

Smiling again, Alter replied to Soul. "Luckily, I was able to salvage what remained of it and repair it. It took many long years." From the sound of it, the name of the Xerneas was Essence, and he had been close to her. Tilting her head curiously at the mention of another being named "Barry", she kept the morsel of knowledge in her head. She could question Soul later, not now when it would interrupt the flow of the conversation exactly when she had it where she wanted it. "I am sorry we have not found him yet... I hope he is still out there. I know I am not and can never be a replacement for Essence, but it would be an honor to be your friend. That is, if you do not consider me to be too frightening." Another lie. Not that there was any difference between truth and lies for her, she spoke both with equal grace and comfort. Her friendship status with Xerneas did complicate things a bit, especially when she wanted Xerneas in stasis and out of the way. No matter, Soul would still be bound by debt if something went unexpectedly wrong. Bowing her head slightly, she emulated a posture tinged with a trace of shame. This was almost too easy. Soul's eagerness for a friend who was a similar outcast made convincing her a breeze.

Alpine was still shuffling along, watching the river she was ascending grow redder and redder with every minute. And then it started to turn black, making her especially worried.

Black ice? But it wasn't cold enough here... It couldn't be that thick with blood, right? No... it was purple?

Alpine paused and shuffled her wings. Maybe it was the lack of sleep that made it look like the river was contaminated by something...

Wingbeats. It took Alpine a while to process it, but she paused in her shuffling to look around. A Fearow, maybe? No, way too heavy, this was something bigger. Pidgeot? No... There weren't many Flying types she knew of that were this big...

Wait... a brother? Has she found someone?!

Alpine jumped up and looked through the tree canopy, but the sky was clear. It couldn't be Zapdos because he stuck with thunderheads, so it had to be Moltres! What he was doing in a forest was odd, but it only seemed to fit!

She opened her beak to call out her brother's name, but then something white flashed overhead, making her pause. Moltres was orange...

Suddenly, a large Pokemon landed a bit ungracefully in front of her, its face lit up with glee. Alpine squawked and fell back - it was HUGE! The Pokemon suddenly started rambling on, something about an "Aqua" and "Cipher" and being taken by them... Wait, what was going on?

Alpine felt footsteps racing up behind her, and she spun to the side of the large white Pokemon to see who it was.

Another unfamiliar face. Its muzzle reminded her of an Eevee's, though everything else had no place; the large crystal on its head, its large mane like a Rapidash's but not made of fire, the ribbon tails... like her's? Who was this Pokemon?

Alpine's gaze switched between the large, feathery Pokemon and the smaller - but still dwarfing her - newcomer with ribbon tails. The larger Pokemon's joyous laughter was loud, but as she studied his face it fell. The other Pokemon seemed to notice this too, like something was amiss. Alpine wasn't sure if she should ready a Gust and flee, or see who these guys were; the one was obviously a flier, anyway.

Silence. What to do?

" Um... can I help you?" Alpine finally squeaked. The larger Pokemon were still so overwhelming!

"No, no," Soul said. "You're not frightening at all." The only thing that really terrified her was Shadow Master and the way he always seemed so freaking calm. She couldn't wait to tell Essence about her new friendship! She shuffled her talons, unclear to know exactly where to go from here. She was so used to Pokemon running from her and giving her a look if she came to close, but Alter seemed to be the opposite. Alter understood her. "So your siblings control time and space?”

Injured people were lying on the floors, alarms blaring and people barking orders left and right. The chaos of the legendaries breaking free from their cages were throwing peons off. "Fifth time this week, that's a record." Shane mused as he dashed between people towards the Shadow Master as fast as he could. "Sir, you called for me?" Shane asked, dreading a negative response from the cold man, pleading silently to not have him in a bad mood.

((Only doing Valtome today! BTW, my color tag for Valtome is Plum))

Shades turned and left in a fuss. Gathering up his Admins, he whirled around, heading assumedly either to the Shadow Lab or out into the field. He was delightfully furious. As they left, Shades glanced back at him, saying nothing. Valtome sucked in a cheek in petulance.

"Oh, you're welcome~ I appreciate everything you've done today!"

He huffed and flew back to the cloister cage where Lugia had been stationed. The claw-mechanism had been jammed up into the ceiling, and its arms were flung out, locked out of their joints. This...had not been his idea. He rocked back and simmered at the sight of the thing.

A small-bodied Vice Assembler stood nearby, hastily scribbling upon a clipboard. His hair had been tied back haphazardly into a messy black tail, and he appeared to have been awakened only shortly ago. He eased over to him, and the R&D spooked at the sight.

"U-uhhhh....sir? Uh...I-I'm filling out the structural damage report, i-i-if you'd give me but a sec-"

He stilled him by holding a digit to his own mouth.

"Shhhhh, shh-shh-shh...hey. Come here."

The man froze. Valtome suppressed a stressed chuckle.

"Yeah...I wanna have a little chat. Between friends--we...are friends, right? You trust me?"

He flicked an ear. The human eased a bit and took a step forward and gave a tiny nod. Valtome eased down by his shoulder, putting an arm around his head.

"Now, I know you're a hard worker. You...you, yes, were the one who did so well and approved these designs. They have served us well for quite a long time. I know you. You did well, and for that, I am grateful."

"Uh...mhm! Yes, and it's a pleasure to ser-"

"But...I wanna be honest with you. That's what the relationship between manager and associate is all about, yes? Honesty. I want you..."

He drifted behind his head and placed both paws on it, turning his head toward Lugia's enclosure.

"...to take a look at this. Can you...tell me what is wrong with this picture?"

"It...um...Lugia, it burst out of its cloister. It-it knocked down our Peons and...well, it-"

"No, no, no, my sweet dear child. I want you to look closer...." He pushed the R&D's head forward, coaxing him with calm words. "I want you to see the real issue. Look! I can see it myself from here. Look deep.

He felt the man's head tremble with strain. He was squinting, trying to find Valtome's mark.

"I...the clips? The clips failed, sir. Lugia, it-"

He threw his paws up and sighed in exasperation.

"I'm sorry--forgive me. Human eyes aren't as keen as my own. Let me give you a hint."

Valtome took up the clip board in his Shadow Hold, rifling the pages off of it until he reached a document, dated from 5 months prior. The R&D grabbed his head and writhed and moaned as his work fell to the ground. When he looked back up at what remained, he turned cold. It was a

detailed blueprint and write-up. The man silently wished for death.

"Would you like to inform me as to what this is? Go ahead-I know you've had your learnings."

"A...a build request."

"And who, do you think, created it? Who do you think spent hours tirelessly slaving at a computer desk, composing charts and measurements under away from light of day, editing measurements down to decimals?? Who might've sent this request form, Vice Assembler?"

"I didn't know. I...the board members, I-I wanted--they--" Valtome got up in his face. The man shrunk back, but he pursued.

"Do you want to know why you didn't know? 'Cause I know."

He lifted the clipboard. He brought down on the R&D, over and over with each burst--

"THAT'S-BECAUSE-YOU-DIDN'T-READ-MY-EMAAAAAAAAAAAIL!!!"

Valtome threw it at the sniveling human, decking him in the face. He yelped and brought his hands to his nose and lip. Under his fingers, a stream of blood formed.

"Honestlyyyyyy~! Why can't you listen to a single thing that's asked of you?! I try, and try and try, giving you enough rope to hang yourself--and where do I find you? Perched atop a stool, ready to take the slip! None of you! None of you are ANY good! For ANYTHING!"

He smacked him with his tail as he turned to leave.

"You're fired! Get lost!"

He didn't wait to hear his apology.

He growled and shook his head. He felt foggy all of a sudden. Real anger, not the shadow-fury brought on by his heart, was dangerous. He felt for the soothing sensation of clarity brought by the darkness, but his kinetic pathways were being bludgeoned by adrenaline. To clear his mind, he decided to take another quick look around the Heavy Hold; perhaps building new enclosures in his mind would help him retain focus.

He went far, far back into the hold, where the ghost-dragon Giratina was held. He braced himself for the chill of her cell, but could not feel it. He opened his reflexively-closed eyes.

"Oh...ooooh, now that's funny!"

He approached, aware of the shattered aura-particles littering the floor. There was nary a trace of the dragon anywhere, and the frame was left intact. She was gone, completely unnoticed. The security cams would have never have caught her. He could imagine her self-congratulatory smile on her face as she shattered the final crack in the field, and snuck into that cheap tactic known as the Distortion World. He giggled, and that giggle expanded into a laugh.

"Well, I can't say you weren't patient. You silly Pokemon, you..."

Valtome clicked his tongue. She was intelligent, a rival in manipulation to himself, and durable. She had spent months working her way from her enclosure, all whilst under the assumption that she had convinced him to turn a blind eye. The thought of her deceptively cool tone made him ache with pity, the way her "expressionless" face barely concealed her smug assuredness as she spun him a fantastic tale of amassing an army to fight Cipher. She, the fallen-from-grace anti-hero, wronged and shunned to an endless asylum: Cipher, the faceless dictator and anarchist, smiting the will of all Pokemon, coddled by their capture of the Mad Queen. She would unite the Shadow Pokemon, and plunge the world into a dark rule. In her distorted kingdom, he would be crowned High Magister, and all the spoils of human delight would lie at his feet: jellybeans, rare cacao beans, endless silverneedle tea, clothing, wine, and--most important--a mug emblazoned with a grayish Mew, proper.

Alter was a fool. How lowly she thought of him.

Her methods were haphazard and fueled by ego. She pushed against the Titan, certain she would will it down with confidence. No matter how futile, so long as she was in control, she would sustain herself with arrogance.

"Why depress against the Titan when you need only to kick out its legs?"

He took a couple moments to observe the cage before dashing off toward the Admin Lounge. He had a plan.

A vile, evil, delightful plan.

Edited by Sugar-Free

Shadow Master turned as the boy, Shane, came running up. He smiled a bit under his mask. The boy was really surprising. With all the confusion and chaos going on, the boy would have the perfect opportunity to run and never look back. If he did that, well, Shadow Master would probably have to chase him down, which would have been a pain. "I need to brief you and the other admins on what's going on and what to do," he said to Shane. Without another word, he turned and headed to the Admin longue, knowing that Doey would be there already.

-----------------------

Doey clicked his tongue in disappointment. His precious Shadow Legendaries were escaping! He was in the Admin longue, awaiting the Shadow Master. He worked hard on them and it was a really disappointment that they were escaping. He looked up as Shadow Master and Shane came in. "Doey," Shadow Master said, taking his usual spot at the head of the table. "I am not happy right now," Doey said. "All my precious legendaries that I worked hard on are escaping! How many? I know I heard Lugia and Yveltal escape. And it was a pity Yveltal escaped, I was doing good with that one." "Articuno, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Zekrom, Suicune, and Victini escaped as well," Shadow Master said. Doey scratched his head. Most of the hardcore legendaries escaped and that was really discouraging to Doey. Given more time with Victini and he might have had that one under his control.

"And Xerneas?" Doey asked. "It battled Victini," Shadow Master said. "But Victini hit it and apparently the force made Xerneas snap out of the illusion." "Did it protect you though?" Doey asked. "Yes," Shadowaster replied. "Wonderful!" Doey exclaimed. "I am going to need you to make it's will even weaker with a stronger illusion however," Shadow Master said. Doey nodded his head as Shadow Master gave him the Shadow Ball before he got up and went back to the Xerneas enclosure before releasing it.

Taint had gone hunting, giving everyone else the slip. Hunting for what? Something to scare Cipher -- or maybe the human idiots who let this happen without investigating, she would gave to pay them a visit too - with. She spotted her chance soon enough.

The group of Normal-types were soon dispatched, and the Shadow Reshiram dragged them back. She looked around befire digging out a hole to store them in. Hopefully not for too long, or the effect'd be spoiled. Now.. how long was this lot going to sit around and chat? Taint curled her lips, before realizing where she was and just as quickly reverting to a neutral expression - though on the inside she was angry at Cipher.

Edited by Dusky_Flareon

-----Alter-----

"Yes, and they do not hesitate to use that power whenever they fight, never thinking about the repercussions. They leave me to repair the damage without a single thought or consideration. If it weren't for my diligence in repairing their damage, this world would long since have been consumed by distortions." Alter responded, carefully keeping her face from turning into a snarl at the thought of Palkia and Dialga. They were Arceus's star children, never falling from favor even when they decimated vast swaths of land with their petty combat. Arceus has long since forgotten her, the one who truly worked at preserving the land. She would make sure they repaid their debt to her a thousandfold in blood. Catching a blur of white movement out of the corner of her eye, she turned her head slightly to see the Reshiram escape into the woods. "Ah, that reminds me. Night should be falling soon. We would do well to organize night patrols and acquire sustenance for those who require it. I do not require physical sustenance, however I would be willing to assist those who do require it and are too injured to procure it themselves." As she finished this sentence, she saw the Reshiram come back and dig a hole for several dead Pokemon. It seemed to be quite annoyed by her extended amount of communication with Soul.

"I appreciate your assistance in hunting... I do not believe I know your name yet?" She directed her attention to the Reshiram, making sure to stay beside Soul to avoid making her feel excluded. "Would you be so kind as to assist us in constructing a campfire? Your natural ability to produce flame would make it quite a bit easier." Making sure the legendaries had a place to rest with warmth, water, and food would be vital to their recovery. Of course, she would have to gather those who had traveled upstream and bring them back later. But for now, she would focus on making sure the Reshiram didn't foolishly charge into battle.

-----Echo-----

He had fallen asleep in the Pokeball, but he was rudely awoken when Doey released him into his enclosure. Springing to his feet in surprise, he looked around in alarm before relaxing. He was back in his containment chamber, probably to get another frightening device fitted onto him. Bowing his head in despair, he sank to his knees again. Ignoring Doey, he simply closed his eyes and resigned himself to waiting for his fate. The spark of determination he had earlier had long since faded, but his loneliness had not. But... could he resist the illusion device? Maybe then he could stop living in fear of hurting others. Heh... I suppose this experience will make me understand Soul even more, if nothing else... Thinking to himself, he noted the relative lack of grunts in the room. If he had to hurt one scientist to guarantee never having to hurt another Pokemon, he would do it. Reinvigorated, he stayed in the same position but opened his eyes.

Edited by Silverphoenixx

"How awful," Soul said. "Isn't there someone there to keep them in line?" She watched Alter as she talked to the white Pokemon. It seemed to be hunting as it produced small dead Pokemon. She shrank in fear, remembering her abiliy to kill things. But the memory when she was enraged came forth. She wanted to take life, but she couldn't. "Um...Alter," Soul said. "Cipher did something to my ability. When I was...enraged, I wanted to take life, but I couldn't. They did something to my ability." She really didn't want to kill other Pokemon. Looking at the dead Pokémon, she shuffled her talons nervously as her stomach rumbled and her feathers flattened in shame.

-----------------

"It's okay my Xerneas," Doey said calmly as he noticed the Xerneas looking around in a panic before it bowed it's head and sank to its knees. He moved and placed his hand on the Xerneas's snout. "I know you must be terrified. But you have to trust me." He rubbed Xerneas snout before tenderly rubbing the antlers of Xerneas. He could tell what it was thinking. He knew this Xerneas and the feelings it had for Yveltal. He didn't know if Xerneas knew Yveltal escaped, and if it did, well, Doey couldn't have that possibility of escape from Xerneas. He knew the danger of being this close to an unpredictable shadow legendary Pokemon, but he knew the will of Xerneas was breaking. "Be good my Xerneas, oh be good," Doey said, trying to soothe the frightened legendary.

It was Xerneas that got the Shadow Ball project running. It's fear for what would happen to Yveltal overpowered any other fear that it felt. And Doey used that fear. It gave him immense pleasure to see Xerneas afraid. It was willing to fight for them using the illusions. He was on the verge of bringing Victini into that same fear. A shame Victini got out. Speaking of which. "Did that nasty Victini try to hurt Yveltal?" Doey asked. He wasn't going to use the device just yet. He wanted to know if Xerneas knew Yveltal escaped.

Edited by Raptor of Dragons

Valtome stopped abruptly as he passed by a certain Admin, standing in front of Shadow Master's favored pet...

Xerneas. The man had his hand through the bars on the cage, stroking its snout and cooing at it lovingly. The Xerneas...he didn't really care about its name...looked into the man's eyes. There was something it saw, something safe and pleasant.

He jaw locked in place, and his tongue pressed between his teeth. He felt his heart race and a sickening feeling in his stomach. Adrenaline rushed over his body in such excess that he nearly plummeted to the ground. And perhaps he should, instead of going anywhere this...display.

But he pressed onward, unwilling to be stopped by his body's reactions. He quickly flashed through images of machinery specifications--he forced his mind to be empty.

Doey was on the end of a sentence when Valtome flashed in, putting his body between his face and Xerneas. It reared back a bit and retreated. A smile came to his face.

"Heeeeeey there, Doe-Eyes~ I hope you weren't in the middle of something, but I just wanted a moment of your time..." He bumped his head against Doey's chin, sliding his back and tail across his throat as he rounded behind his head and back in front of his face.

"It isn't much, I promise. I'm certain this can wait...right?"

He tilted his head, fiddling with the threads in his black turtleneck, awaiting a reply.

---------------

"Um...can I help you?"

Soren's face blanked, and the panic of sorrow washed into him. He quickly and unsteadily maintained the shaky smile on his face.

"W-what do you mean? It's me--Soren! I-I thought...I thought you'd be happy to see me..."

He drew back, hugging his wings to his chest.

"Ah...ah, maybe I was too loud...uh...I didn't mean to be so...impressive--I mean, it's been a long forever since we've seen each other! I didn't mean to frighten you! I'm as excitable as always, you know..."

He tilted his head sideways before sighing, relieved. Things were just awkward. He gave Aqua a small pat on the butt, urging her forward.

"You...remember Aquamarine, right? I told you she scouted Johto for me after the tower caught fire. We...still don't know where he is, just so you know..." He rubbed his long neck. The thoughts of his old companion sobered him a bit.

He looked at the Articuno. Her expression did not change.