Ribombee

Summer Olympics 2016 - Rio

I could not find a thread for this yet! huh.gif

Who are you rooting for? What events are you following?

I am cheering on family in the Olympics! My husband's cousin is in sailing and is currently ranked #4 in the world. So I will be screaming my lungs out on Wednesday when she and her teammate (Team Haeger-Provancha) compete in the groupings. Then the 15th is semifinals, and 17th is finals.

Edited by harlequinraven

I looove the Olympics. My favorite sports are swimming and gymnastics. I watched the men's cycling this morning, which was pretty intense, and the men's gymnastics earlier. The Brazilian male gymnasts were especially adorable, they kept getting teary and emotional every time they stuck the landing really well.

Just finished watching women's swimming. One of the swimmers for the USA is from my university, so that's pretty cool.

Women's beach volleyball is coming on now and these women are just seriously gorgeous, swoon

I'm most excited for the gymnasts. I watched them obsessively in the London Olympics and was rooting for Aly Raisman the most, though I was of course thrilled for Gabby in the end, but Aly is back this year and I'm rooting for her once again.

I think it's so interesting to compare the physiques/statures of the different athletes, like the insane shoulder-to-waist ratios of the swimmers, and the teeny tiny gymnasts (one of the USA female gymnasts is 4 ft 9!!!)

I'm hard too see them in live but trying to watch them in repeat on morning.

I'm interested in Soccer and Swimming.

I'm rooting for Park in Swimming but unfortunately he got #4 in preliminary and can't go final at 400m.

Did you all see the 400m medley women's swimming world record get (pardon the expression) blown out of the water? That record bar was chasing HER. She really deserves that one!

I love gymnastics and swimming.

I think I'll just watch highlights though.

A bit gross, but have you guys seen the French gymnast and the broken leg?

Edited by gigglymonkey12

A bit gross, but have you guys seen the French gymnast and the broken leg?

I did. That poor guy. sad.gif Double fracture.

I did. That poor guy. sad.gif Double fracture.

I felt so bad for him.

The announcer said that the same event caused him to have to back out in 2012 too.

I don't have cable TV at home (because I never watch it, heheh), so I haven't been able to see them! I just get some news from here and there. I love watching track sprinters and swimmers, generally. I think volleyball is also pretty fun to watch smile.gif

The Olympics are great, I love watching them.

I usually like watching diving, swimming and gymnastics but the swimming finals are all at 2am-3am my local time so I end up missing them.

I don't usually watch the Olympics, but UGA (my university) has SIX swimmers going to Rio! As a former swimmer for the UGA coach, I have met all of them, and so it's super exciting that they'll be competing. GO DAWGS! GO USA! I'm also excited to watch Phelps again.

I also have a close friend who made the Paralympic swim team. She is a huge inspiration to me. Four years ago, she was swimming in my lane, slower than me, and now she can swim circles around me.

I don't have cable TV at home (because I never watch it, heheh), so I haven't been able to see them! I just get some news from here and there. I love watching track sprinters and swimmers, generally. I think volleyball is also pretty fun to watch smile.gif

I think there's a rio olympics page that lets you watch the highlights.

I actually prefer that to watching entire things because....it's too long otherwise.

I'm keeping very close tabs on the equestrian competition! I'm strongly rooting for a few riders in particular... and rooting against a couple too. <.< I'm not watching as many of the other sports as I usually do (in the past I'd watch whatever happens to be on TV) since I'm focusing on the equestrian livestreams but I'll probably catch up on highlights later.

Edited by Dimar

I'm keeping very close tabs on the equestrian competition! I'm strongly rooting for a few riders in particular... and rooting against a couple too. <.< I'm not watching as many of the other sports as I usually do (in the past I'd watch whatever happens to be on TV) since I'm focusing on the equestrian livestreams but I'll probably catch up on highlights later.

May I ask who you are rooting for? I am following the equestrian events closely, as well.

May I ask who you are rooting for? I am following the equestrian events closely, as well.

Michael Jung and Astier Nicolas are my personal favorites, from long before Rio started! Michael's slip-up with the countercanter lead change KILLED ME; I felt so bad for him and Sam but since they're still in a pretty good place I'm not too upset... very excited to see how cross country and jumping changes things. I am happy to see William Fox-Pitt doing well, in any case, considering he was in a coma last year so congrats to him so far! biggrin.gif

I try to watch as much of the Olympics as I can. Since I don't have a favorite event, I generally watch whatever the main channel (NBC in the states) is airing, but I have been known to switch to one of their other networks depending on what's showing. Gotta root for Team USA since that's where I was born, raised, and live!

Edited by casprrr

I try to watch as much of the Olympics as I can. Since I don't have a favorite event, I generally watch whatever the main channel (NBC in the states) is airing, but I have been known to switch to one of their other networks depending on what's showing. Gotta root for Team USA since that's where I was born, raised, and live!

Which event have you seen?

My favorite events to watch are gymnastics, swimming, diving, and track (no cross country), in that order.

I'm rooting for Team USA, of course, but I love watching everyone compete in those events. I especially want the Women's Team USA in gymnastics to win, and I want Phelps to have a good run too.

Which event have you seen?

I watched some of the swimming, synchronized diving, gymnastics, and just finished watching women's beach volleyball. Now I'm off to bed.

i've never been too big on the olympics but i like watching swimming and gymnastics. katie ledecky was amazing

Michael Jung and Astier Nicolas are my personal favorites, from long before Rio started! Michael's slip-up with the countercanter lead change KILLED ME; I felt so bad for him and Sam but since they're still in a pretty good place I'm not too upset... very excited to see how cross country and jumping changes things. I am happy to see William Fox-Pitt doing well, in any case, considering he was in a coma last year so congrats to him so far! biggrin.gif

Jung and Nicolas are still holding strong, and a couple of the USA riders moved up. That CC course was brutal! Kitajima's's ride gave me heart palpitations. I swear I thought he was coming unseated every time. Very unconventional equitation. I can't remember who was on that big, gorgeous grey (I am better at remembering the horses sometimes. laugh.gif ), but I was really disappointed when he faulted twice at the frog jump. It was a nice ride up to that.

I agree it is nice to see Fox-Pitt riding well again after all that.

Edited by harlequinraven

Obviously, I root for Estonia.

But I don't really follow any of the sports - or even watch the olympics at all - sometimes I watch the Fencing, as I used to do Fencing myself at one time.

I also sometimes enjoy the gymnastics - its just amazing, what they do.

But Team Estonia doesn't have gymnasts..xd.png

Edited by Trickseh

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to watch the equestrian events as they're all streamed and all seem to be geolocked (or whatever the term is for 'you can't watch it because of the country where you live'.). This is the first year the Canadians have been without Ian Millar.

I enjoy the swimming, diving, gymnastics, and equestrian when I can see it.

I root for Bahamians and Canadians and have soft spots for athletes from any country I've travelled to!

I watched some of the swimming, synchronized diving, gymnastics, and just finished watching women's beach volleyball. Now I'm off to bed.

Oh synchronized diving!

Have you seen any that you were truly impressed with?

I feel like some teams were just amazing.

------

I never knew that the summer olympics had equestrian events before.

I think that's just because they've never been shown on the channels I watch.

Well, this Olympics was one for the record books. I enjoyed it and was happy to see the dominance of such amazing stars like Simone Biles, Michael Phelps, and Bolt. They were all phenomenal.

That closing ceremony was awesome and I loved how the Japanese did that awesome bit with it's city and the video game bit with a dash of anime thrown in. Cannot wait to see their opening ceremony. smile.gif

Really happy for GB :3

Team GB managed to finish second after the USA on the medal table, and higher than China for the first time in Olympic history.

Til 2020.